Leve W-L ERA IP H HR HBP BB K WHIP
AAA 9-5 2.99 132.1 142 17 9 28 61 1.28

TheBigLebowski
08-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Interesting.

Michalak finally gets his chance.

chicoruiz
08-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Good for Michalak; he deserves to be up.

Bergolla??? A 23-year-old who's held his own in AAA? I would have lopped off Brandon Watson instead. Or even Perez, although there's nothing in the system at catcher behind him.

captainmorgan07
08-12-2006, 03:11 PM
mercker must really be bothered by that arm problem good to see michalak get the call

flyer85
08-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Interesting.

Michalak finally gets his chance.at 35 I would say chances past him by a long time ago. Nothing but a disaster waiting to pitch.

Last time in the majors was 2002

max venable
08-12-2006, 03:25 PM
mercker must really be bothered by that arm problem good to see michalak get the call
I'd put money on Mercker never throwing another pitch in the big leagues. He's done.

Henry Clay
08-12-2006, 03:28 PM
My question is whether Michalak will be starting tonight in place of Ramirez or filling in as a LH reliever in place of Mercker. Thus far this season, Michalak has been used as a starter (22 of 23 appearances).

As for Bergolla, I don't understand this move except that it signals that Brendan Harris has passed Bergolla on the organizational depth chart in Krivsky's office. I've expected Harris to be the next 2B since Krivsky acquired him, but I didn't expect the last, next 2B to be jettisoned so quickly, especially since he is so young.

flyer85
08-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I gave up trying to figure out what they are doing a number of moves back. For the past month everything has amounted to little more than thrashing.

reds44
08-12-2006, 03:33 PM
What? Why was Bergolla DFAd?

He doesn't have a snowballs chance on the sun to clear waivers.

Mercker is done. Should have called up Homer and put him as the setup man. I would have rather seen Burns then Shack. I hope Michalak is only a 1 day thing in case we need him in long relief.

edabbs44
08-12-2006, 03:35 PM
My question is whether Michalak will be starting tonight in place of Ramirez or filling in as a LH reliever in place of Mercker. Thus far this season, Michalak has been used as a starter (22 of 23 appearances).

As for Bergolla, I don't understand this move except that it signals that Brendan Harris has passed Bergolla on the organizational depth chart in Krivsky's office. I've expected Harris to be the next 2B since Krivsky acquired him, but I didn't expect the last, next 2B to be jettisoned so quickly, especially since he is so young.
I bet he'll see multiple innings tonight, whether it be in relief or starting. Move makes sense.

reds44
08-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I bet he'll see multiple innings tonight, whether it be in relief or starting. Move makes sense.
Wait so he is left handed too? Why don't you just call up Shack? The only reason I thought they chose him over Shack was becuase they didn't want another lefty.

This BETTER be only a 1 day thing.

flyer85
08-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Narron really screwed things up royally last night, in a mulititude of ways.

reds44
08-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm baffled Bergolla was DFA'd. It makes no sense at all.

edabbs44
08-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Wait so he is left handed too? Why don't you just call up Shack? The only reason I thought they chose him over Shack was becuase they didn't want another lefty.

This BETTER be only a 1 day thing.
I'd say it might be. But if he does well, you never know. You know how JN gets when he has another middle-aged guy in the clubhouse.

Kriv: Bad news Jerry, you lost another 30+ year old. Kent isn't feeling well and we're gonna have to DL him. The good news is we called up Michalak from AAA. Another lefty.

JN: WHAT? A MINOR LEAGUER? COULDN'T YOU HAVE TRADED FOR MOYER OR RANDY JOHNSON??? MAYBE SEE HOW RIJO IS FEELING AND SIGN HIM TO A MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT???? HOW ABOUT OROSCO?

Kriv: Jerry, he's 35. Wait until you meet him, what a presence. You'll feel positively teenage-like when you are just in his vicinity. And don't get me started on his glove. He's like a cat on the mound. Unbelievable.

JN: Hmmm...we could use someone like that. After I finally relented and started EdE the past few days, this team has been missing something. Nice move Wayne, nice move.

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't understand the dumping of Bergolla either, not like he's a 30 year old in AAA for the first time, he's a young MI, could be a future Castro ;) why give up now?

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Michalak's name makes me think of tires.

Is this the end for Merc?

membengal
08-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Narron really screwed things up royally last night, in a mulititude of ways.

No way!

Narron did his best!

The Reds shall overcome!

Chris Michalek is the second coming of Cy Young!

Go Reds!

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 03:56 PM
No way!

Narron did his best!

The Reds shall overcome!

Chris Michalek is the second coming of Cy Young!

Go Reds!
Pass the koolaid

membengal
08-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Pass the koolaid

Just trying to get with the program!

All the Reds' moves are awesome!

They shall not lose again this year!

Go Reds!

Eric_Davis
08-12-2006, 04:26 PM
at 35 I would say chances past him by a long time ago. Nothing but a disaster waiting to pitch.

Last time in the majors was 2002

Or a Disney movie... :thumbup:

Az Red
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Is there another trade brewing?

Matt700wlw
08-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Is there another trade brewing?

Hopefully it's a catcher not named Ross or Valentin....

:)

Doc. Scott
08-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I was suspecting Bergolla would be used in a trade this season... his stock is a bit down, but other teams might like the speed and youth. Perhaps he's headed to Cleveland for Hollandsworth.

Falls City Beer
08-12-2006, 04:54 PM
What's kind of sad is that Mercker's really been, along with Weathers, one of the best options out of the pen this season.

Tony Cloninger
08-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I think we can look forward to the 1977 version of Joe Horner....more than the 1994 version of Pete Schourek.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Just trying to get with the program!

All the Reds' moves are awesome!

They shall not lose again this year!

Go Reds!

He's already drank from the trough. There's no hope for him now...:(

Heath
08-12-2006, 05:22 PM
I was suspecting Bergolla would be used in a trade this season... his stock is a bit down, but other teams might like the speed and youth. Perhaps he's headed to Cleveland for Hollandsworth.

So Bergolla and cash for Hollandsworth & Phillips.

Not bad.

so Chris Michalack gets his shot. Everything looks ok except the IP/H ratio.

:hideseyes:

traderumor
08-12-2006, 06:03 PM
One move I must've missed was Standridge getting DFAd?

reds44
08-12-2006, 06:07 PM
One move I must've missed was Standridge getting DFAd?
Where'd you read that? As far as I know he is just on the DL.

flyer85
08-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Is it just me or does the organization seem schizophrenic?

Ltlabner
08-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I just caught a Louisville game on the radio this Thursday as I was working in the area. They mentioned "Willy Bergola" several times. I had sorta forgotten about him.

Jpup
08-12-2006, 06:22 PM
The DFA of Bergolla may go down as the worst move of the season. It makes little sense on matter how you cut it.

LawFive
08-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Michalik is AAA roster filler, no more. You bring him up tonight because you're gonna need someone to fill in for 4-5 "emergency" innings, and then it dosen't matter to the org when you DFA him tomorrow to bring up Shack (or any other reliever). Shack wouldn't have helped tonight cause he's only a 1 inning guy. Better to give Michalik one day's big league pay than to see Freel or Dunn pitch.

Sabo Fan
08-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Bergolla won't be the PTBNL for Hollandsworth, makes no sense since he's being DFA'd. Now if you want to send him to Cleveland for Mota, then that could make sense. Trade one DFA'er for another, that is if he clears waivers, which he very well may not.

Tony Cloninger
08-12-2006, 06:31 PM
THis almost reminds me of the way people used to complain about that 5'8" 2B they had around the late 90's...... Something Williams.

Hit for a high avg.
People wanted him to be given a chance.
They could not understand why he was just let go....and than he vanished.
DFA and never heard from again.

Was anyone sad when German Barranca was released?
Tom Lawless?

IslandRed
08-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I always liked Bergolla, but I'm afraid he played himself into the "dime a dozen" category. He's on-base challenged, has no power and doesn't steal many bases nowadays. He no longer projects to be any kind of useful offensive player, as far as I can tell, and if you're going to have a career as a no-hit middle infielder you'd better be a shortstop.

Big Klu
08-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Personally, I have always preferred Ray Olmedo over William Bergolla. I would guess that Brendan Harris is also now ahead of Bergolla on the organizational depth chart.

LawFive
08-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Marc's latest blog update mentions that Mercker thinks he completely blew his elbow, and Marc thinks Merk may indeed be done for good.

:(

LoganBuck
08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Marc's latest blog update mentions that Mercker thinks he completely blew his elbow, and Marc thinks Merk may indeed be done for good.

:(

Then why DFA Bergolla? Just DFA Mercker or put him on the 60 day.

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 08:51 PM

I'd take Bergolla over Hollandsworth ;)

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Then why DFA Bergolla? Just DFA Mercker or put him on the 60 day.
They must not see much in Bergolla

Sadly.

LoganBuck
08-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Bergolla still had an option left for next year. I really don't like this.

CougarQuest
08-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Re; Bergolla DFA'd
First thought that came to me was that Bergolla is going to be traded.

traderumor
08-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Where'd you read that? As far as I know he is just on the DL.OK, I did not know that, I just knew he didn't pitch last night and wasn't seen coloring baseballs in the pen.

traderumor
08-12-2006, 10:48 PM
I could not care less about Bergolla. His bat just doesn't seem to be adequate, even if he might provide above average D at 2b in the future. He's always made me yawn.

RedLegSuperStar
08-12-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm a huge fan of Bergolla, sad to see him DFA'd. Hope no one claims him and he can rejoin the organization. As for Mercker.. One of the best.. proved to be one of the most reliable bullpen arms for this staff and will be missed. Mercker likly is done for the year and in comments was leaning towards retirement at the end of the season. Best of wishes to him and I hope the Reds can make it far enough this season to give him something positive to end the season on.

Krusty
08-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I have a hunch a trade maybe coming down for another starting pitcher.....which Bergolla could be added to the deal.

RedLegSuperStar
08-12-2006, 11:44 PM
I have a hunch a trade maybe coming down for another starting pitcher.....which Bergolla could be added to the deal.

elaborate

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Who would be available?

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Who would be available?

Freddy Garcia?

ESPN Insider:

Garcia sees trade coming
Aug 10 - Starter Freddy Garcia believes the White Sox will show him the door during the offseason to make room for Brandon McCarthy in the rotation, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

"Yeah, I know it's going to be me," Garcia told the newspaper. "I think about it a little bit, and I know it's going to be me. I understand that. It almost happened [last] offseason, so if they trade me, what can I say? Hopefully they trade me to a good team, a team that is contending."

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Can't see the sox giving him up right now while they are in a race, unless they got something pretty good back.

Doc. Scott
08-13-2006, 12:42 AM

Not bad.

so Chris Michalack gets his shot. Everything looks ok except the IP/H ratio.

:hideseyes:

Bergolla, Jeff Stevens and cash.

The Reds wouldn't have had to DFA Bergolla if they'd been willing to use Dumatrait in relief. But apparently Wayne-O likes Phil as a starter and so he had to clear a roster spot for Michalak, who has experience in pretty much any role you can imagine.

This is why I figure Bergolla's getting traded. Sort of a "oh, well, doesn't matter- he's outta here anyway" thought.

redsmetz
08-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Bergolla, Jeff Stevens and cash.

The Reds wouldn't have had to DFA Bergolla if they'd been willing to use Dumatrait in relief. But apparently Wayne-O likes Phil as a starter and so he had to clear a roster spot for Michalak, who has experience in pretty much any role you can imagine.

This is why I figure Bergolla's getting traded. Sort of a "oh, well, doesn't matter- he's outta here anyway" thought.

It occurs to me the reason we're not seeing Dumatrait called up (it would have been the convenient choice) is that Wayne seems to be sticking to his development plan - moving up through the minors one step at a time, keeping pitchers in the minors who are startings down there as starters instead of using them as relievers with the big club. I could be mistaken, but I think that's what is going on here and if it is, I like the long term thinking. Work to win something this year but not at the expense of the future.

Kc61
08-13-2006, 10:07 AM
It occurs to me the reason we're not seeing Dumatrait called up (it would have been the convenient choice) is that Wayne seems to be sticking to his development plan - moving up through the minors one step at a time, keeping pitchers in the minors who are startings down there as starters instead of using them as relievers with the big club. I could be mistaken, but I think that's what is going on here and if it is, I like the long term thinking. Work to win something this year but not at the expense of the future.

Dumatrait has only been moderately successful in AAA. Michalak had much better numbers. For right now, Michalak was clearly the better choice. Hopefully, next year Dumatrait will "dominate" in AAA and show he is ready for the big leagues. Right now, with no big league experience and only modest success at Louisville, I don't see Dumatrait as much of an option.

princeton
08-13-2006, 11:37 AM
it's too bad that Bergolla isn't a much better player because the Reds could really use someone like him-- only better.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm baffled Bergolla was DFA'd. It makes no sense at all.

The Reds realize that he's not Major League material. He's another Machado. Eventually, a team has to cut bait on guys like that.

Maybe he'll sign on with another team as AAA filler, but this move isn't going to come back and haunt us.

Tony Cloninger
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Can you believe how stupid the other teams are?

All passed on William Hornsby-Bergolla........he has cleared waivers.
He is back in LOU.

All who predicted the beginning of the end....can now rest easy.....Rafael Santo Domingo Part II is back home.

Nugget
08-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Don't worry once he is called up his REDSZONE star will fade much like Deno.

FWIW Deno is still a good player but with Freel hitting his straps and the middle infield well stocked Deno was surplus to requirements at this stage. They needed a power bat off the bench rather than speed and contact.