PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi nearly fired by Marlins

Tom Servo
08-12-2006, 04:15 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14319059/

Florida Marlins owner Jeffery Loria had to be convinced not to fire manager Joe Girardi after a loss last Sunday, the Palm Beach Post reported on Saturday.

Loria was set to make the move, but changed his mind after a postgame meeting with Girardi and other front-office officials, the paper reported. Girardi did apologize to Loria in a subsequent meeting.

During the Aug. 6 game against the Dodgers, Loria yelled at the umpire after two borderline pitches were called balls. Girardi asked him to stop, wanting to talk to the umpire himself.

"Then Girardi said, 'Just stay out of it. I'm the manager,'" a source told the Palm Beach Post. "And Loria said, 'Well, I'm the owner,' or words to that effect. 'If you don't like what I'm telling you, you're fired.'" Another source told the newspaper Girardi's reply to Loria included profanities, which irked the owner even more.

"Loria got up out of his seat and was preparing to get rid of [Girardi]," one source told the newspaper. "Jeffrey can be very knee-jerk. Before he was done walking up the aisle, Jeffrey made up his mind to fire Joe right after the game."

Marlins employees were seen setting up for a postgame press conference, but it was never held. The paper reported that Loria, after talking with team officials, decided against firing Girardi.

"They stopped and thought about this, that it would be a public relations nightmare if the resurging Florida Marlins were to have fired a man who turned them around," a source told the newspaper.

Neither Girardi and Loria wanted to talk about the incident.

"Everyone is going to write what they think happened. All I know is I'm still the manager of the Florida Marlins and I'm here," told the paper before Saturday's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Loria declined comment Friday through team spokesman P.J. Loyello, the newspaper reported.

That would have been a real dumb decision.

reds44
08-12-2006, 04:16 PM
He wasn't nearly fired, he actually quit before being talked out of it.

GOREDSGO32
08-12-2006, 04:22 PM
"Then Girardi said, 'Just stay out of it. I'm the manager,'" a source told the Palm Beach Post. "And Loria said, 'Well, I'm the owner,' or words to that effect. 'If you don't like what I'm telling you, you're fired.'" Another source told the newspaper Girardi's reply to Loria included profanities, which irked the owner even more.

"Loria got up out of his seat and was preparing to get rid of [Girardi]," one source told the newspaper. "Jeffrey can be very knee-jerk. Before he was done walking up the aisle, Jeffrey made up his mind to fire Joe right after the game."

That's friggin stupid.This is why I think owners are 99% morons, especially this guy. He's got a shoestring salary, some players have bigger contracts that the entire Marlins team and Girardi has done awesome with them. He got involved with the game and Girardi IS the manager and the owner apparently wants to throw his weight around - who also cut all salary and is moving the team I believe. What a guy. Girardi won't have a problem finding a place to coach, even this year, after the way he's managed.

Team Clark
08-12-2006, 04:57 PM
I would take Joe in about .111110 seconds. He's accountable and exactly what you would want with a young club. He'd be a HUGE addition to any other staff as a bench coach.

joshnky
08-12-2006, 04:58 PM

That's friggin stupid.This is why I think owners are 99% morons, especially this guy. He's got a shoestring salary, some players have bigger contracts that the entire Marlins team and Girardi has done awesome with them. He got involved with the game and Girardi IS the manager and the owner apparently wants to throw his weight around - who also cut all salary and is moving the team I believe. What a guy. Girardi won't have a problem finding a place to coach, even this year, after the way he's managed.

Would you say something like that to your boss? I don't care what Loria did or said you never cuss out your boss. In fact, its quite amazing that Girardi still has a job.

captainmorgan07
08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
if they had done that move this would have been up there on the list of dumb marlin moves the players obviously love playing for him he's gets the most out of them

Tony Cloninger
08-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Loria is the word for "scorched franchises"

Made the Expos even worse....... keeps expecting other people to turn miracles out of the garbage he creates.

reds44
08-12-2006, 05:56 PM
I would take Joe in about .111110 seconds. He's accountable and exactly what you would want with a young club. He'd be a HUGE addition to any other staff as a bench coach.
Terrible in game manager. I don't want him as my manager.

Bench coach? sure.

goreds2
08-12-2006, 07:04 PM
With a 15 Million Dollar payroll, Joe Girardi HAS to be manager of the year.

4.5 games out in the WILDCARD chase.

MrCinatit
08-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Sounds like the Marlins might have another Steinbrenner on their hands.

KoryMac5
08-12-2006, 08:32 PM

Mark Cuban comes to mind too, recently Nowitzki asked Cuban to lay off a bit from his normal routine of yelling at the refs. Loria needs to heed that advice.

Dunner44
08-12-2006, 08:40 PM
You don't talk that way to your boss. However, this is an isolated incident, i'd assume, and Loria has no place arguing calls with the umpire. I hate mark cuban when he does that crap, he deserves a techincal every game. Loria should go up to his owners suite and watch there.

WVRed
08-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Terrible in game manager. I don't want him as my manager.

Bench coach? sure.

Girardi is a no-nonsense guy who gets the most out of his players. If anything, he personalizes the good things(yes, there are some good things) about the Yankees.

IMO, he is the best young manager in the game right now, and will probably be the first in line for the Bronx when Torre retires.

demas863
08-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Guess if you're an owner you can't behave like a fan.

Jpup
08-12-2006, 10:47 PM
It really won't matter because Girardi is likely going to be the skipper for the Cubs next season.

traderumor
08-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Girardi seems to be a bit full of himself. I didn't like the way he treated Scott Olsen earlier in the season either, regardless of what the player did. This situation seems very bush league. Is the ump going to respond to someone yelling from the stands, even if its the owner? Probably not.

Unassisted
08-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Guess if you're an owner you can't behave like a fan.Replace "fan" with "jerk" and you're right. People who go to games and spend a significant amount of time there yelling at umpires are jerks.

FoReel
08-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Replace "fan" with "jerk" and you're right. People who go to games and spend a significant amount of time there yelling at umpires are jerks.

These 'jerks' dont realize that the umps are actual humans and like themeselves they as well can make mistakes.
Unless the ump gives a bad call going against the Reds, then its perfectly fine.:devil:

jmcclain19
08-13-2006, 01:50 AM

With out all that "Spending money"

And this just proves what an idiot Loria is.

He turned the Expos into a wasteland, and was rewarded for it by MLB with a World Series title. Despite his "Major League" style gutting of the team, Benifest still got enough talented guys that the Marlins are a scary team to play. You have no idea what they are going to do night after night.

Girardi is still a very young manager - there are still several players playing now that are older than he is, so he's got lots of room to grow. But what he's done with that bunch of rookies is amazing. I couldn't name a single person, talking head, media outlet, tv station, chat board poster, even Marlins bloggers and hard core fans, that didn't think this team was headed towards record setting oblivion this season.

The Royals, DRays and Pirates have tons of young talent they let play every year, and they all still manage to find away to lose 95 games every year.

I know it's not exactly on topic, but they probably hear Loria well enough because the Florida MLB teams can't get fans in any shape or form. When there is only 10,000 fans out there every night, one loud blowhard is that much easier to hear.

Great spring training area, but horrible professional baseball state. I sincerely hope the Marlins move elsewhere soon and finally get a fan base that will support a baseball team.