PDA

View Full Version : OK, So I went To The Ohio State Fair Today....

dman
08-12-2006, 06:05 PM
My daughter is 9 years old and the Disney Channel superstars Aly & AJ were there, so guess what I got to do. 10,000 screaming girls there (my ears will be ringing for quite some time I'm sure). But anyway, I'm amazed at the talent that the Disney marketing machine is putting out today. These girls are 17 and 15 respectively. I keep thinking back to when I was that age I had been playing the guitar for some time, but what I'm seeing kids do now, both musically and athletically is unbelievable. One has to think there is a huge price to be paid for all these kids to be making it so big at such an early age.

Anyway, it was a great show. I wish that when I had my band at 18-19 years old, I could've had a stage show like they did, but of course I didn't have Disney backing my play neither.

What's even funnier is that Aerosmith was one of the last mainstream concerts I went to see, and these girls had a much better stage presence about themselves than what Aerosmith did. Granted, Aerosmith was vehind the 8 ball as far as age plus year of hard living, but still.....

Unassisted
08-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Disney is super slick at packaging talent. They have the tween market down cold. If you ever have occasion to visit a city that has a Radio Disney station, give it a listen and you'll see what I mean. The tween in my house wants nothing to do with Nickelodeon now... his favorite shows are all on the Disney Channel.

dman
08-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Disney is super slick at packaging talent. They have the tween market down cold. If you ever have occasion to visit a city that has a Radio Disney station, give it a listen and you'll see what I mean. The tween in my house wants nothing to do with Nickelodeon now... his favorite shows are all on the Disney Channel.
I hear ya. If it's not Hannah Montana, Phil Of The future, or the Cheetah Girls, my daughter wants nothing to do with it.

max venable
08-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I hear ya. If it's not Hannah Montana, Phil Of The future, or the Cheetah Girls, my daughter wants nothing to do with it.
My girls are big into "The Suite Life"

savafan
08-14-2006, 02:19 PM
My girls are big into "The Suite Life"

Is it wrong for me to say I like Zack and Cody too?

Roy Tucker
08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Our household is breathlessly awaiting "High School Musical II".

max venable
08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Our household is breathlessly awaiting "High School Musical II".
OMG! High School Musical music is played so much in my house that even I know the words to every song! :bang:

BuckWoody
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
OMG! High School Musical music is played so much in my house that even I know the words to every song! :bang:
...and then, "Jazz Hands".

I feel your pain. :(

At least it's a movie with a good message and we have other TV's in the house I can watch while it's on. :)

Roy Tucker
08-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Yeah, me too. I think I've seen it at least 4-5 times now. My girls were watching some show lately and I said "hey, it's Sharpay". Which is a sad thing when *I* recognize the kids in it.

Good article on the movie and Disney machine at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13881742/site/newsweek/

Heath
08-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Thank goodness I'm still stuck on Playhouse Disney.

My time is coming.

Stupid Doodlebops.

ochre
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Zach and Cody were much better as Frankenstein.

Falls City Beer
08-14-2006, 06:52 PM
This is why we don't have cable in the "Beer" house.

vaticanplum
08-14-2006, 06:55 PM
This is why we don't have cable in the "Beer" house.

This is why there are no children in the plum house.

Yachtzee
08-14-2006, 07:20 PM
I was doing a pretty good job of keeping my son away from the Disney Channel. The problem with Disney is that for every quality movie and program they put on, they produce an equally cheap and empty piece of dreck that rips off some previous show or movie. For example, I think Little Einsteins is great, but I can't stand the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the Doodlebops. The Lion King is, once again, great. Mickey Mouse's "Around the World in 80 Days" looks like it was done by a third grader on cheap animation software.

Unfortunately, my in-laws conspired against me. When he came back from spending a week with them, it was all "Doodlebops" and "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse."

creek14
08-14-2006, 07:24 PM
The problem with Disney is that for every quality movie and program they put on, they produce an equally cheap and empty piece of dreck that rips off some previous show or movie.
But it's still better than the crap on network TV. I'll take Nick, Disney or Cartoon Network any day over Fox and the WB.

But happy day for us, creek jr is more into the Animal Planet these days than any of the above.

Falls City Beer
08-14-2006, 07:34 PM

They're fun when they learn to stop biting your ankles.

Falls City Beer
08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
But happy day for us, creek jr is more into the Animal Planet these days than any of the above.

Smart kid.

creek14
08-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Smart kid.
Well, the bad news is - he has an audition for a Disney show in about a week.

There I said it.

This all happened out of the blue and I have mixed feelings about it. I'm no stage mom. But he is so into it. He made it from a cattle call of about 50 to a cut to 10 and now the final 5.

He said when's he a millionaire he'll buy the Reds for me, so there is a silver lining... ;)

max venable
08-14-2006, 08:12 PM
It's totally worth having kids...even if you have to put up with High School Musical. :)

IslandRed
08-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Stupid Doodlebops.

Hey now, Dee Dee's kinda hot now that she ditched the dress that made her look fat.

dman
08-14-2006, 11:04 PM
But it's still better than the crap on network TV. I'll take Nick, Disney or Cartoon Network any day over Fox and the WB.

Jeff Corwin rocks. :cool: