PDA

View Full Version : Preston Wilson anyone?

reds44
08-12-2006, 06:54 PM
HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced on Saturday that outfielder Preston Wilson was designated for assignment, which gives them 10 days to trade, release or reassign the 32-year-old to the Minor Leagues.
The move was made in order to make room for rookie right-hander Jason Hirsh on the 25-man roster. Hirsh, 24, is set to make his big league-debut Saturday against the Padres.

Wilson, whom the Astros signed to a one-year deal with a club option for three years in January, hit .269 (105-for-390) with nine homers and 55 RBIs over 102 games for the Astros.

ok now we definfitly know wat he can do and he wasnt having that bad of a season plus his three year deal only kicks in with an option so thats out of the way. hmmmm this man should be a serious candidate

He's twice the player that Holly is. Offer up Bergolla for him.

Jpup
08-12-2006, 07:25 PM
He's twice the player that Holly is. Offer up Bergolla for him.

Preston Wilson is terrible.

Crash Davis
08-12-2006, 08:05 PM
princeton was looking for a right-handed bench guy with pop. I don't know if Preston Wilson qualifies for that these days...but I'd rather have him at the plate late vs. a lefty late in the game if it was between him and LaRue.

Wheelhouse
08-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Take him. Chambliss can help free swingers (see Brandon Phillips). Also if Griffey gets injured we're in trouble.

Heath
08-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Preston Wilson is terrible.

But he's better than Todd Hollandsworth.

I think Wilson was one of the first guys to get freaked out over the LF wall in Houston. He's golfing everything.

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
No thanks.

guttle11
08-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Houston would never trade him to us anyway, so the point is moot.

Doc. Scott
08-13-2006, 01:58 AM
I have a feeling Wilson would resist being used in a bench role unless it was the Yankees or something.

2001MUgrad
08-13-2006, 05:36 AM
It can't hurt to try. Right now the Reds have no real option on the OF if Freel needs a day off.

Jpup
08-13-2006, 07:07 AM
It can't hurt to try. Right now the Reds have no real option on the OF if Freel needs a day off.

I would much rather have Denorfia.

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Deno should try switch hitting, even if he stinks from 1 side he'll be back here in place of Holly.

max venable
08-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Talk about racking up some serious K's as a team. Can you imagine Dunn and Wilson in the same lineup?

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Talk about racking up some serious K's as a team. Can you imagine Dunn and Wilson in the same lineup?

K's.. whos thinking about K's when he has one of the worst facial hair in the history of baseball!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/gidgett_27/WilsonChops.jpg

max venable
08-13-2006, 09:59 PM
K's.. whos thinking about K's when he has one of the worst facial hair in the history of baseball!

huh?

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
It's like a goatee that got lost

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 10:39 AM
When Todd Hollandsworth is your best 4th outfielder, suddenly Preston Wilson doesn't look so bad.

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2006, 09:12 AM
When Todd Hollandsworth is your best 4th outfielder, suddenly Preston Wilson doesn't look so bad.

Neither does paying him the minimun..this from the Houston Chronicle:

Release could come today

Bob Bry, the agent for former Astros outfielder Preston Wilson, said Monday he was told by general manager Tim Purpura the club plans to release his client today so Wilson can catch on with another club.

"If Tim doesn't trade Preston by (today), according to my conversations with Tim, he's going to go ahead and give him his release so we can sign somewhere else," Bry said. "Tim's been unable to swing a deal. I thought they were close to a deal Saturday night, but I guess that fell through."

Wilson, who hit .269 with nine homers and 55 RBIs for the Astros, was designated for assignment Friday, giving the club 10 days to trade or release him.

If they release him, they would owe him roughly the final $1.6 million of his contract minus what he signs for with another team.

The Astros had been talking to the Colorado Rockies about a possible deal.

redsmetz
08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
I think I'd wait to see if he clears waivers, let Houston pick up his tab and then see if he's still looking for work when the rosters expand. We would have to find room for him on the 40 man, so that would also weigh in. We may have no wiggle room there. So put me down for "maybe". :)

Danny Serafini
08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
One spot can be created on the 40 man without any problem by shifting Mercker to the 60 day DL.

redsmetz
08-15-2006, 10:24 AM
One spot can be created on the 40 man without any problem by shifting Mercker to the 60 day DL.

Yes, you're correct and I suspect they'll make that move just to give them some flexibility? Can they withdraw the DFA on Bergolla and put him back on the 40 man? (not to sidetrack this discussion)

princeton
08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I'd go to Colorado if I were him

but the Reds haven't added anyone in two days-- we're due.

Crash Davis
08-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a feeling Wilson would resist being used in a bench role unless it was the Yankees or something.

So you're saying he's OK with early retirement?

oregonred
08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd go to Colorado if I were him

but the Reds haven't added anyone in two days-- we're due.

No kidding, GM slacking on the job :laugh:

True, whatever happened to Jose Cruz Jr?

flyer85
08-15-2006, 03:33 PM
whatever happened to Jose Cruz Jr?

rotoworld info dated August 5th

Dodgers released outfielder Jose Cruz Jr.
The Dodgers will end up paying Cruz another $1.2 million-$1.3 million since they couldn't trade him. He should find work as a reserve outfielder elsewhere.

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Wilson is an upgrade over Hollandsworth no doubt. Are we hurting for some pop in the line-up? I think so considering our runs scored vs runs given up (RS 586 v/ RA 615). If it's not going to cost this team that much then why not. Having 4 Outfielders now.. but say we stayed at that number and DFA Clayton/Valentin. Have Freel play his 4-5 days a week at 2nd, 3rd, RF, CF subing for the likes of Phillips, Aurilia, Wilson, and Junior. Freel has earned the right to be in this line-up.. just this line-up needs to make up for the runs this pitching staff/defense allows.