PDA

View Full Version : Mercker blew out his elbow, most likely to retire per Marc

reds44
08-12-2006, 10:55 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- Apologies for my late arrival, I've been out most of the day.

First, the bad news. It sounds as if Kent Mercker's 20-year professional career probably came to an end last night. He apparently believes he blew out his elbow, and if that's the case I imagine he's done for good.

Pending a more thorough examination, Mercker was placed on the 15-day DL and veteran left-hander Chris Michalak called up to bolster a completely worn-out bullpen. Michalak, 35, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2002, but he has been very effective as a starter for Louisville this year, going 9-5 with a 2.99 ERA. If EZ gets in trouble early today, he'll probably get the call.

That sucks. Merck had a very good career and you never want to see it end on an injury.

George Foster
08-12-2006, 11:28 PM
The last 7 or 8 outings he was throwing gas. 91-93 mph. I think he knew his time was short, and wanted to go out with a bang. He did. He got us out of some jams this year.

Joseph
08-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I've always liked guys who wanted to pitch for us and Merck obviously did since he kept coming back.

Hope its not over for him though.

cumberlandreds
08-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Hate to hear that. I like Mercker. He's a good guy as well as an effective reliever. He's had a good career. Best of luck to him if this is the end.

redsfan30
08-12-2006, 11:40 PM
:(

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Sad to see a career end like that :(

harangatang
08-13-2006, 12:09 AM
That's sad, but he had some good highlights to his career like his no-hitter.

Phhhl
08-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Excellent career for Kent. Here's hoping the prognosis is wrong, but I think he was talking retirement a week ago anyway. I, too, noticed that he seemed to like pitching for the Reds. Any Reds fan is a friend of mine. Salut!

Doc. Scott
08-13-2006, 12:45 AM
That's sad, but he had some good highlights to his career like his no-hitter.

And overcoming that brain aneurysm or whatever it was he had right in the middle of a game a few years back.

Coffeybro
08-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Kent is a great guy. I wish him nothing but the best.

jmcclain19
08-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Kent is a great guy. I wish him nothing but the best.

I've heard your brother say in interviews a few times that both Mercker and Weathers schooled him a lot in the ways of being an excellent bullpen guy at the MLB level.

I lost some respect for him in the whole Cubs/Dusty Baker/Steve Stone drama, but Coffey's comments brought my respect for him back up.

He's always seem to be a class guy, and I wish him the best for whatever he does next.

TOBTTReds
08-13-2006, 01:52 AM
He's always seem to be a class guy, and I wish him the best for whatever he does next.

I was listening to the Marlins/Dbacks game tonight and they said:

"Mercker claimes he will never go on the DL next season. 'You can't put me on the DL when I'm on the golf course. This is my last year'"

redsrule2500
08-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Mercker grew up in my hometown, so it's cool to see him finish a Red. His family is here, so he always liked playing for the Reds the best since it's close to home.

He had a great career, but too bad about the elbow...

MrCinatit
08-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Aw, shoot, that figures.
However, I had long heard he was going to retire after this season, or at least was giving it serious consideration.
The quote provided by AvesIce is one I believe I have read a couple of times before. In fact, I think it was made during his last stint on the DL.
It is a shame. I would have liked to see him pitch for us in the playoffs.

TeamBoone
08-13-2006, 02:50 AM
I was listening to the Marlins/Dbacks game tonight and they said:

"Mercker claimes he will never go on the DL next season. 'You can't put me on the DL when I'm on the golf course. This is my last year'"

That isn't exactly what he said, but that's what he meant. If I remember, I'll dig up the article tomorrow (too late right now).

Darn. I wish his arm could have held out until the end of the season. I hate to see guys go out like this. It would have been nice to have paid him tribute at the end of the year before the last home game.... hopefully, they still will. Though, if he's out for the year, I doubt he'll be in the dugout.

LINEDRIVER
08-13-2006, 04:43 AM
It seems a bit coincidental to me that Mercker would "blow out" his elbow just at the time when the Reds need another pitcher after the extra-inning marathon on Friday night.

According to Hal McCoy during a radio visit with Marty about 2-3 weeks ago, Mercker said something along the lines of, "I won't be on the DL next year unless Muirfield Country Club has a DL."

Mercker is now on the DL for the third time this season. He's on the DL with 'elbow inflammation'. Or was that ego inflammation? Anyway, he seems to get his feelings hurt when Narron asks or implies he should accept a rehab assignment in the minors. He refused such an assignment when he was to come off the DL for the first time this year. Recently, when he was about to come off the DL for the second time this year, he said he would make a rehab appearance in the minors IF Narron wanted him to, but he didn't really want to do that. Could it be that the aggravation of the ordeal is bugging Merck even more than his elbow?? Is the idea of retirement more pleasing to Merck each passing day??

I wonder if this exchange came about after Friday night's game.

Kriv: "Merck, how's the elbow holdin' up?"
Merck: "Gee, I guess it's OK, I don't feel 100%, but...."
Kriv: "Not a 100%?? I'm looking for somebody who's not 100%, I'm disabling you"
Merck: "It's not like I've blown the damn thing out, it's just a little......"
Kriv: "If anybody asks, you're hurtin' bad 'cuz I'm hurtin bad for another pitcher"
Merck: "Doc Hollywood hasn't even seen it yet. I guess you mean I should take one for the team?"
Kriv: "Damn, you're a quick learner"

Ltlabner
08-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Well that sucks if it is the case. Never want to see a players carear end because of an injury.

Everything I've heard about the guy is that he is a class act and he's had a nice carear.

Maybe he'd be interested in some coaching/consulting work for us.

TeamBoone
08-13-2006, 08:48 PM
It seems a bit coincidental to me that Mercker would "blow out" his elbow just at the time when the Reds need another pitcher after the extra-inning marathon on Friday night.

I don't believe that for a second... NOT ONE SECOND!

Do you think that he would not want to pitch on this team if his arm is still healthy? I'm sure he has as much desire to try and get to the post season with this team as every other Reds player.

I don't buy it. He wouldn't do that.

LINEDRIVER
08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Im not implying that Merck is not wanting to pitch or wanting to be a part of the team, etc.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Can you really blame Mercker for not accepting a minor league rehab?

I was pretty sure this was going to be his last season anyhow. I recall him talking about retirement earlier this year.

It's like the old guy at work that plans on retiring in one month. He's not going to want to deal with a lot of crap.. I can definitely see how Mercker wouldn't want to end his career pitching for Louisville and would rather just sit on the DL.

NDRed
08-14-2006, 10:15 AM

According to Hal McCoy during a radio visit with Marty about 2-3 weeks ago, Mercker said something along the lines of, "I won't be on the DL next year unless Muirfield Country Club has a DL."

Mercker is now on the DL for the third time this season. He's on the DL with 'elbow inflammation'. Or was that ego inflammation? Anyway, he seems to get his feelings hurt when Narron asks or implies he should accept a rehab assignment in the minors. He refused such an assignment when he was to come off the DL for the first time this year. Recently, when he was about to come off the DL for the second time this year, he said he would make a rehab appearance in the minors IF Narron wanted him to, but he didn't really want to do that. Could it be that the aggravation of the ordeal is bugging Merck even more than his elbow?? Is the idea of retirement more pleasing to Merck each passing day??

Kriv: "If anybody asks, you're hurtin' bad 'cuz I'm hurtin bad for another pitcher"
Merck: "Doc Hollywood hasn't even seen it yet. I guess you mean I should take one for the team?"

You are either smarter than the rest of us or you are making baseless accusations of which you have no evidence whatsoever. I would bet on number 2.

Danny Serafini
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Time to put the conspiracy theories to bed. Latest from Marc's blog:

The fact that Kent Mercker was able to throw another pitch in the 10th inning Friday after feeling a burning sensation in his elbow on a wild pitch to Ryan Howard was fairly remarkable. An MRI and further examination by Doc Kremchek today revealed that Mercker had completely torn his ulnar collateral ligament and suffered an 80-percent tear in his flexor tendon. Mercker will undergo reconstructive surgery Thursday, but that's more for golf purposes than baseball. His career is done.

reds44
08-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Honestly, after he threw that wild pitch I thought he hurt himself. He just had a uncomfortable look on his face. The fact that he actually ended up getting out of the inning is amazing. Kent did himself proud on the way out.

Heath
08-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Go out in a blaze of glory.

Thanks for memories, Kent. Let's see if they can vote you a full share come October.

Lancaster's snooping around here again - look out for the Godfather....

NJReds
08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
He did a nice job for us over the past few years. Best of luck to Merk in his retirement.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh yeah, best of luck to Merck.

Also, another "great job" by Doc Hollywood by proclaiming Mercker cleared to pitch. Does he ever say "This guy isn't ready yet?"

Reds Fanatic
08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
This is the latest update on Mercker from Marc's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

The fact that Kent Mercker was able to throw another pitch in the 10th inning Friday after feeling a burning sensation in his elbow on a wild pitch to Ryan Howard was fairly remarkable. An MRI and further examination by Doc Kremchek today revealed that Mercker had completely torn his ulnar collateral ligament and suffered an 80-percent tear in his flexor tendon. Mercker will undergo reconstructive surgery Thursday, but that's more for golf purposes than baseball. His career is done.

Also today, Brandon Claussen had arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left shoulder and repair a small tear in his rotator cuff. The procedure took 75 minutes.

redsfan30
08-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Wow.....just....wow.

Ltlabner
08-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Anyway, he seems to get his feelings hurt when Narron asks or implies he should accept a rehab assignment in the minors.

An MRI and further examination by Doc Kremchek today revealed that Mercker had completely torn his ulnar collateral ligament and suffered an 80-percent tear in his flexor tendon.

Wow man! You were dead on. Merk was throwing a big temper-tanturm about the DL. He even went as far as getting REDREADS best buddy DocK to take part in the cover-up.

Man...you nailed that one! hahahahahah

TeamBoone
08-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Also, another "great job" by Doc Hollywood by proclaiming Mercker cleared to pitch. Does he ever say "This guy isn't ready yet?"

08-13-2006

"All I can tell you is 'Merck,' last week, said he felt ready to go," Narron said. "I definitely believed that, and I definitely have all the confidence in the world in him. I love seeing him on the mound."

Mercker said Narron in no way pressured him to come back before he was healthy. And besides, for Mercker, healthy is a relative term.

"When I told him I was 100 percent, I was 100 percent," Mercker said. "Well, when I say 100, I guess my 100 percent starts at 90. So I guess I was back to 90 percent. He didn't rush me at all."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060813/SPT04/608130437/1071

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 05:35 PM
08-13-2006

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060813/SPT04/608130437/1071

But it would be nice if Doc Hollywood actually did some kind of evaluation on these players. Many times, the player said he was ready to go when he wasn't. If all we're doing is taking the player's word that they're ready, why do we need Doc for (other than to sew them back up)? I'd like to see more attempts at preventing the guy that's hanging on by a thread from getting damaged worse. For example, how many times was Jr sent out to play when he clearly wasn't healed?

MaineRed
08-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Your the one who keeps track of this stuff, why don't you tell us.

NDRed
08-14-2006, 05:50 PM
But it would be nice if Doc Hollywood actually did some kind of evaluation on these players. Many times, the player said he was ready to go when he wasn't. If all we're doing is taking the player's word that they're ready, why do we need Doc for (other than to sew them back up)? I'd like to see more attempts at preventing the guy that's hanging on by a thread from getting damaged worse. For example, how many times was Jr sent out to play when he clearly wasn't healed?

MaineRed

"Your the one who keeps track of this stuff, why don't you tell us. "

rhetorical

adj 1: of or relating to rhetoric; "accepted two or three verbal and rhetorical changes I suggested"- W.A.White; "the rhetorical sin of the meaningless variation"- Lewis Mumford 2: concerned with effect or style of writing and speaking; "a rhetorical question is one asked solely to produce an effect (especially to make an assertion) rather than to elicit a reply" [ant: unrhetorical]

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Your the one who keeps track of this stuff, why don't you tell us.

:sleep: :sleep:

StillFunkyB
08-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks Kent.

Good luck with the rest of your life! Hope you get that arm healthy, and back out on the golf course soon!