PDA

View Full Version : Alan Cutler

lo ryder
08-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Does anyone beside me cringe when they listen to this guy. A know it all who has never done it.

Team Clark
08-13-2006, 01:04 AM
That's why I don't listen.

Superdude
08-13-2006, 01:10 AM
He was bashing Hatteberg a month or so ago like he was Gookie Dawkins or something?! I literally haven't listened to him since then. I guess being 15th in the league in OPS isn't good enough. :rolleyes:

Always Red
08-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Alan Cutler=enthusiastic ignorance:D

Team Clark
08-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Alan Cutler=enthusiastic ignorance:D

That's right on the money.

Cutler = Moped. Fun for the first Minute then you realize that your the idiot for getting on in the first place.

Dunner44
08-13-2006, 01:22 AM
I hate listenig to Cutler after Bengals games. Depending on the outcome his mood is either horrible or exuberant. I hate it.

bucksfan
08-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Does anyone beside me cringe when they listen to this guy. A know it all who has never done it.

Big time. He defies description in my book, especially for someone who gets paid to do what he does. I only stumble across him when (I am) mowing now, as I listen to this armband radio, but even then most of the time change to seomthing else. He's horrible IMO.

ChatterRed
08-13-2006, 01:43 AM
I agree. I have been shocked for years that WLW can do no better.

Furman and Cutler are two of the worst sports talk hosts I've ever heard. I don't listen to either one.

Lance McAlister is obnoxious at times, but atleast he does his homework and for the most part makes sense.

Most everyone on 1530 Homer are knowledgeable. But WLW is another story. They are like trash radio.

Cutler is horrible. I can only take like 2 minutes of his crap.

MWM
08-13-2006, 02:23 AM
If there's anyone out there who can make Andy Furman look smart, it's Alan Cutler.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-13-2006, 02:29 AM
I can tolerate most of em but Mcalister and that 5 seconds of fake forced laughter he has every other sentence drives me nuts. Its like he is trying to fill his 3 hours a day on it.

TOBTTReds
08-13-2006, 02:58 AM
I thought everyone was talking about Tracy Jones (except he played the game).

2001MUgrad
08-13-2006, 04:37 AM
I was a little ticked tonight. I was looking forward to Tracy Jones tonight. its just as well. the Knoxville Nationals was on Speed tonight, that was exciting as heck!!!

lo ryder
08-13-2006, 04:43 AM
Me too, except Tracy only does home games.

2001MUgrad
08-13-2006, 05:27 AM

Oh. See, I didn't know that.. I guess I learned something tonight, lol..

forfreelin04
08-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Tracey always sounds depressed. Not to mention he feels the need to make regular callers side show characters for his amusement and thinks the listening audience is enjoying it too. He also says you cant talk the whole show just about baseball. However, I just think that is the extent of his knowledge shining through.

jmble
08-13-2006, 11:59 AM
IT"S A GREAT DAY TO BE A BENGALS FAN!!!!!!

:)

How can you not love the Cut Man? He's always so positive. We need to see what happens if we get him and the Angry Guys in the same room together for a couple hours.

(yes, there is some sarcasm in that above statement)

Carin4Narron
08-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Culter is just a kiss kiss schill for the home team!

Dunner44
08-13-2006, 01:37 PM
IT"S A GREAT DAY TO BE A BENGALS FAN!!!!!!

How can you not love the Cut Man? He's always so positive. We need to see what happens if we get him and the Angry Guys in the same room together for a couple hours.

(yes, there is some sarcasm in that above statement)

Just a lil sarcasam huh?

ITS A HORRIBLE DAY TO BE A BENGALS FAN!

Hey Alan, how are you?

A) (after a win) JUST GREAT, THANKS
B) (after a loss) I HATE THE WORLD AND AM THINKING SUICIDAL THOUGHTS NOW

Blitz Dorsey
08-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Cutler is not good, but I will take him over Furman any day of the week. At least Cutler knows sports a little bit. Furman doesn't know sports very well, and would rather talk about stuff no one cares about.

Tracy Jones is the best on WLW for Reds talk. Which isn't saying much, but I do like him.

Matt700wlw
08-13-2006, 01:43 PM
I didn't think this would be a positive thread...

Matt700wlw
08-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Tracy Jones is the best on WLW for Reds talk. Which isn't saying much, but I do like him.

You get it, then. A lot of people don't.

BoydsOfSummer
08-13-2006, 02:54 PM
I love the Tracer. I'm one of the few around here that does,I believe. His "schtick" doesn't bother me, and I usually agree with him.

Cutler is pure comedy. That dude can't be serious.

goreds2
08-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I wish Tracy Jones was on during the week nights. :notworthy

ITHIKABAND
08-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Tracy Jones is a moron!

Ltlabner
08-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Depending on the outcome his mood is either horrible or exuberant. I hate it.

Nothing at all like Redszone..... ;)

But yea, I can't stand Cutler either. "It's a beautiful thing"....he only says that like 800 or so times per show.

Blimpie
08-13-2006, 06:57 PM
If you guys think the last few years with Cutler on WLW have been bad, you should have tried living in Lexington most of your adult life. He has bounced from local television (egad!) sports to local radio talk shows around here for the better part of the last twenty-five years. Amazingly, he has not improved his "skill" one iota during the entire timespan.

He claims to have 'forgotten more about UK sports than most people will ever know'...yet he constantly sticks his Pumas in his mouth on every issue pertaining to the university. I will never forget the time Rick Pitino interrupted his live post game interview with the media just to tell Cutler to shut his mouth in the back of the room (Cutler was trying to do a 'standup' broadcast at the back of the room for the evening broadcast).

Alan Cutler is not a tool--he is an entire box of tools.

bradmu
08-13-2006, 07:16 PM
"Its a beautiful Thing!"

Cutler seems to have an attention span of about 3 days. The team goes on a 3 game winning streak and he's ready to buy his Playoff tickets, then they get swept and he's preaching for a firesale.

The people who call in to the Cut man's show seem to be right on his level though.

Will M
08-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Richard Skinner is knowledgable

Lance McCallister is fun

Most of the local sports radio guys aren't very good

Overall I find local sports radio spends WAY too much time talking about non sports issues & too much time talking about off the field issues

- Will

ChatterRed
08-13-2006, 07:37 PM
It's no wonder Homer moved to 1530 and 50,000 WATTS. They looked over at big brother and knew it was time to kick big brothers butt because WLW has nothing in terms of sportstalk hosts. All the knowledgable ones are on Homer. On top of that, those hosts are able to get knowledgable guests, too.

I do like Tracy Jones. But that's all I like about WLW. WLW is horrible anymore. Outdated. It's like the Jerry Springer show, but with multiple hosts over there.

Gizmo
08-13-2006, 07:43 PM
"Its a beautiful Thing!"

Cutler seems to have an attention span of about 3 days. The team goes on a 3 game winning streak and he's ready to buy his Playoff tickets, then they get swept and he's preaching for a firesale.

The people who call in to the Cut man's show seem to be right on his level though.

I'm assuming he's many posters on this board. ;)

I like listening to any of them. As Cutler himself says, he's paid to be a big mouth on the radio. He seems to be a fan with a cool job that I'd love.

Tracy Jones, more knowledgeable as an ex-player, but seems to love to hear himself talk instead of making any valid statements.

Furball is fun. Good for a laugh.

I listen to them all just because, I just enjoy hearing any and every thing about the Reds and Bengals, whether it's a valid point, a silly argument, or drunk fans. Sure you do have to take a lot of it with a grain or eight of salt, but I think it's entertaining and gets me fired up for all the right or wrong reasons about our local sports teams.

gonelong
08-14-2006, 10:31 AM

I think a goodly number of people get that these guys are playing a character of sorts during their show.

Their characters are awful. I get that.

GL

dabvu2498
08-14-2006, 10:37 AM
I think a goodly number of people get that these guys are playing a character of sorts during their show.

Their characters are awful. I get that.

Agreed. Sad that their knowledge and/or personalities are not strong enough to carry a show and they have to play a role to get listeners. Sad that listeners enjoy that stuff.

Caveat Emperor
08-14-2006, 10:48 AM

Tracy Jones has the best schtick going in Cincinnati radio. I think the reason why he (and Furman too, for that matter) are so disliked around here is because people want just straight sports talk and get upset that the two of them will, occasionally, sacrafice good content for the sake of doing good radio. I mean, sure, I'd like to hear an in-depth discussion on the merits of hitting Dunn #2 vs. #4 with OPS numbers being thrown around, but I also derrive just as much enjoyment from listening to Jones subtly smash a caller while keeping him on the line and yapping at the same time.

When I want information, I come to RedsZone. When I want entertainment, I go to WLW.

As far as Cutler goes, he's possibly the least-talented sports radio personality I've ever heard -- and I suffered through 4 years of the Ken Beatrice show in Washington. He has a 5th grade knowledge of professional sports, gets even more excited over mundane crap than Mike Patrick on a coke bender, and has a completely personality-less radio persona. Listening to him leaves me convinced that if this whole "lawyer" thing doesn't work out, I should be able to host a radio show at least as competently as him.

But, my parents taught me that if you can't say anything nice... ;)

fielder's choice
08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Cutler is probably the dumbest guy I've ever heard on a radio. Early in the season he was arguing Hatteburg should be on the bench with Dunn at first, because your 1B needs to drive in runs. I called him and said it might not be a good idea to bench the guy with the highest OBP on the team. :rolleyes:

Hoosier Red
08-14-2006, 10:49 AM

Matt
Can you tell Cutler that INCREDULOUS doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
He's looking for incredible, not incredulous.

in·cred·u·lous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-krj-ls)
adj.
Skeptical; disbelieving: incredulous of stories about flying saucers.
Expressive of disbelief: an incredulous stare

Ltlabner
08-14-2006, 10:59 AM
When I want information, I come to RedsZone. When I want entertainment, I go to WLW.

Well said. They (the radio guys) have to blend the delivery of information with the fact that they have to retain listeners. While some of us might enjoy an indepth discussion of game mechanics, OPS/VORP/LSMFT or other meaty topics (which is why we all frequent RZ) and find that discussion interesting on it's own merrirts, the average radio listener would doze off quickly. They need some "spice" to keep them listening, even if only passivley.

I actually like Tracey Jones from an "entertainment" standpoint. His whole, "I played the game" stick is funny because his playing wasn't exactly inspirational to baseball history. He knows this, lays it on thick and it's funny in a werid twisted way. As far as his indepth "baseball knowledge" goes......not so much.

Cutler on the other hand, is both uber-shallow in his baseball knoweldge along with being completley unenjoyable to listen too for more than say 2 seconds at a time. If you accidently stop turning the dial right on 700WLW, and catch a few seconds before your fingers regrip the knob and start turning that's just about the perfect length of time for "The Cut Man".

And it's a beautiful thing!

dabvu2498
08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Cutler on the other hand, is both uber-shallow in his baseball knoweldge along with being completley unenjoyable to listen too for more than say 2 seconds at a time.
Alan Cutler... you know his story...

He does, at least, admit to his own lack of baseball knowledge. Which makes me ask... why is he the one taking calls on the Reds pre-game???

timmario66
08-14-2006, 12:23 PM
I think a lot of the problems have to do with the same callers calling the same shows saying the exact same thing they said the previous show. I listen all day to the radio at work and it has been happening for the last few months.

How about better screening to get rid of these losers who have nothing better to do than call each and every talk show? No offense Matt.

Also I don't think there are enough callers disagreeing with the host. It just a bunch of "I agree with you and here's a 2 minute diatribe about why I agree with you"

Also it seems like all talk radio is negative. The Reds could win 9-0 on a no-hitter and the calls would be about so and so striking out twice or so and so not advancing a runner.

Talk radio in today's world just makes you want to :bang: :bang: :bang:

goreds2
08-14-2006, 12:42 PM
The one advantage to recording these WLW shows is that if something gets annoying, I can skip that portion. I usually listen the next day.

EDIT: "Its a beautiful Thing!"

Always Red
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
The one advantage to recording these WLW shows is that if something gets annoying, I can skip that portion. I usually listen the next day.
Actually, now the best thing is that with the interent and Redszone and other blogs, I can skip ALL of the talk shows and get my info elsewhere.

And then I can listen only for the entertainment value. Which is admittedly low, sometimes.

I do like to listen to Tracy Jones, but only when he's in the right mood, and I can tell right away when I turn it on. Furball is, to me, useless. I know that he's a nicer guy than he appears to be on the radio, but his radio show seems to be ONLY about stirring up controversy. But then, that's one approach, I guess. I've forgotten more about baseball than Cutler ever knew, and I'm only about average baseball IQ, when compared to the posters on RZ. I do think Cutler does a better job on the Bengals, but only marginally. Every caller who takes the time to call in is WRONG (that's the first thing he'll tell them) and then I sit there laughing, wondering why ANYONE would take the time to call in!:D

tsj017
08-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Matt
Can you tell Cutler that INCREDULOUS doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
He's looking for incredible, not incredulous.

in·cred·u·lous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-krj-ls)
adj.
Skeptical; disbelieving: incredulous of stories about flying saucers.
Expressive of disbelief: an incredulous stare

AMEN, amen, a thousand times amen!

If I hear that boob say "It's just incredulous" one more time, I'm going to violently abuse my radio.

Cutler is proof that pretty much anyone with a decent voice can get a sports-talk gig. Compared to him, Tracy Jones is somewhere between Marty and Vin Scully.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-14-2006, 02:29 PM
hey matt just curious-is tracy jones from around here or does he call in his show from california??

Heath
08-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I think Alan Cutler's got to get a full-time check from Clear Channel after he does Bengal game interruptions, so sticking him on weekends on the Big One, isn't all that bad.

I'm going to say something that absolutely makes no sense.

I miss Bob Trumpy. He is an egotistical, unapologetic, raving madman. But he was the most prepared egotistical, unapologetic, raving madman ever. And he asked fantastic questions.

Roy Tucker
08-14-2006, 02:41 PM
...gets even more excited over mundane crap than Mike Patrick on a coke bender...

I nominate this for Line of the Day :thumbup:

goreds2
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM

Tracy was on after the Phillies game yesterday.

redsfanmia
08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
hey matt just curious-is tracy jones from around here or does he call in his show from california??
He must live around Cincinnati, his son plays baseball with my nephew.

goreds2
08-14-2006, 04:43 PM
He must live around Cincinnati, his son plays baseball with my nephew.

He lives in the Cinci area. His girlfriend lives in California.

Heath
08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
He lives in the Cinci area. His girlfriend lives in California.

yeah right, glad to see the Tracer using the "hot girlfriend from out-of-town" line. I think that one went out in 1989. :rolleyes:

:D

Ron Madden
08-15-2006, 03:17 AM
I think Alan Cutler's got to get a full-time check from Clear Channel after he does Bengal game interruptions, so sticking him on weekends on the Big One, isn't all that bad.

I'm going to say something that absolutely makes no sense.

I miss Bob Trumpy. He is an egotistical, unapologetic, raving madman. But he was the most prepared egotistical, unapologetic, raving madman ever. And he asked fantastic questions.

Bob Trumpy was a stubborn man with some knowledge of football. He was willing to learn more about other sports.

Tracy Jones is a fountain of misinformation.

Alan Cutler is a loud mouth sports fan with quite a knack for predicting yesterdays news. ( at least he's a sports fan)

Andy Furman is a joke. nothing but a carnival barking snake oil salesman with very little knowledge of any sport.

I'm glad we have RedsZone. :)

George Anderson
08-15-2006, 09:17 AM
yeah right, glad to see the Tracer using the "hot girlfriend from out-of-town" line. I think that one went out in 1989. :rolleyes:

:D
So is Carla from Beverly Hills Tracys's girl friend?

Ltlabner
08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
IT'S A BEAUTIFULL THING!

Sorry..couldn't resist. :evil:

Blitz Dorsey
08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Aw man don't bring up the glory days of WLW when Cris Collinsworth was filling in for Trumpy... and then Collinsworth took over full time. Good times, good times.

Furman was the moron in the background who only filled in when everyone was sick and they couldn't get anyone else. You knew he would never last in the biz. And now 15-20 years later or whatever he is still there and is the primary host. Furman is awful. He's bascially a WLW institution at this point (we're laughing at you, not with) but he's still a joke in my book. There are so many examples of how he doesn't know the pulse of Cincinnati sports. You know, Reds will sweep someone, you turn on the radio to hear the good vibes about the team, but Furman "buzzkills" everyone by talking about parking prices are too high. Or, "Sure they swept the Pirates, but the Pirates stink and no one in Cincinnati cared enough to come out to the ballpark."

And sometimes I get the feeling Furman prefers NOT talking about sports. Remember a few years ago he tried to turn Friday nights into non-sports talk night... on a show called SPORTSTALK. I think his bosses eventually vetoed him, but it's a perfect example of why he is the worst at that station IMO. Cutler is bad, but since he actually understands the way a Cincinnati sports fan thinks (since he is one) he is much better than Furball.

jocross
08-15-2006, 11:40 PM
This is why he makes your cringe

goreds2
08-16-2006, 12:01 AM
So is Carla from Beverly Hills Tracys's girl friend?

"I don't think so Tim"!

Maldez
08-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Isn't it a shame that every Bengals radio broadcast has to be defiled by this obnoxious lout?

I don't even care what the man is saying, because I can't get by those toxic pipes of his. What purpose does he serve, other than to drive listeners away?

My idea of hell is being trapped in the back seat of a car which has a radio blaring Alan Cutler and I can't get at the controls to shut him the !@#!@# up!

Ron Madden
08-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Isn't it a shame that every Bengals radio broadcast has to be defiled by this obnoxious lout?

I don't even care what the man is saying, because I can't get by those toxic pipes of his. What purpose does he serve, other than to drive listeners away?

My idea of hell is being trapped in the back seat of a car which has a radio blaring Alan Cutler and I can't get at the controls to shut him the !@#!@# up!

With the SegMan at the wheel, Furball ridin' shotgun, Tom Gamble and Tracy Jones on eighther side of you.

Give me substance. Or give me death!!!

I'd pray to hit a pole.

Blimpie
08-16-2006, 01:51 PM
This is why he makes your cringeYou should have seen Cutler before he went with the Jordan dome look....

Think:

http://static.flickr.com/42/83509175_2997826e85_m.jpg

tsj017
08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
You should have seen Cutler before he went with the Jordan dome look....

Think:

http://static.flickr.com/42/83509175_2997826e85_m.jpg

That is simply incredulous!

Carin4Narron
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Dave Lapman-sp is also a schill and bloodly awful!

Captain Buckeye
08-17-2006, 02:05 AM
http://www.alancutler.com/air.html

Check that out!! I just tripped when I saw the pic posted and the one here. Once again,I was wrong about how I had someone pictured.As far as Mr. I played the Game!!...I do get it. I think he is a ass(as does the wife),but for some sick/strange reason,I like listening to him:rolleyes: .I do know part of deal is shtick(sp?).