PDA

View Full Version : Again...

Wheelhouse
08-13-2006, 02:39 AM
Dunn/Griffey 0-9, 12 LOB, 4Ks
Choices need to be made...now.

reds44
08-13-2006, 02:46 AM
If they (and when I say they I mean Dunn) don't hit, we don't go to the playoffs. If Griffey isn't dropped in the order, we don't go to the playoffs.

Freel
Hatteberg
Dunn
Edwin
Ross
Rich-SS
Griffey
Phillips

should be the lineup. Too bad there is no chance Rich plays SS or Griffey bats 7th.

TeamBoone
08-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Dunn will hit again. He hit a couple long ones today, just not quite long enough.

I'm stymied by KGJr though. I do think he needs a couple days off (tomorrow... Monday is an off day anyway).

Wheelhouse
08-13-2006, 02:59 AM
I disagree. Griffey is the only blue chip RBI guy we have...EE could become one, Dunn doesn't hit top pitching well, Hatteberg is excellent player but a contact, top of the order guy, and they don't play Aurilia, who has been a blue chip RBI guy--Griffey is the guy who is assigned to bring them in...if he fails-sayonara 2006 Reds.

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 03:23 AM
What choices needs to be made? we don't really have anyone knocking the door down to take over.

JR should be slid down for awhile.

2001MUgrad
08-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Here is my lineup.

Freel-CF
Dunn-RF
Phillips-SS
Encarnacion-3b
Hatteberg-1B
Aurilla-2B
Griffey-LF
Ross-C
Pitcher

reds44
08-13-2006, 03:35 AM
I disagree. Griffey is the only blue chip RBI guy we have...EE could become one, Dunn doesn't hit top pitching well, Hatteberg is excellent player but a contact, top of the order guy, and they don't play Aurilia, who has been a blue chip RBI guy--Griffey is the guy who is assigned to bring them in...if he fails-sayonara 2006 Reds.
Griffey only has 10 more RBIs in 104 at bat's. If Griffey is a true RBI guy, then Edwin is also. Dunn is going to knock in over 100 runs, when you do that you are an rbi guy.

EE and Dunn should be the 3/4. I don't think ths issue is 1-2-3-4. To me it seems as if Freel/Hatte/Dunn/Edwin is the easiest part of the lineup to figure out.

Here is my lineup.

Freel-CF
Dunn-RF
Phillips-SS
Encarnacion-3b
Hatteberg-1B
Aurilla-2B
Griffey-LF
Ross-C
Pitcher
Phillips has a .777 OPS, not much better then Griffey's. I'd bat Rich 3rd before I did Phillips.

Wow while looking at the stats I have discoverd LaRue has more at bats then Ross does. Uhh why?

kyred14
08-13-2006, 04:08 AM
Dunn/Griffey 0-9, 12 LOB, 4Ks
Choices need to be made...now.

I say we release this Dunn guy. WHAT?!? You mean to tell me he's the best player on the team?

Well then, I'll just start a thread with the sole purpose of bashing him. WHAT?!? There's already thousands of them? Dude, you should know, you started half of them. Oh yeah....

Your hatred of Dunn is becoming unhealthy.

2001MUgrad
08-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Phillips has a .777 OPS, not much better then Griffey's. I'd bat Rich 3rd before I did Phillips.

Thats fine. I don't know that Phillips has batted 3rd though. I like his attributes as a #3 hitter to at least try him out there. I know Griffey is no longer a 3 hitter.

Falls City Beer
08-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Last night they scored nine runs.

westofyou
08-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Again.... :sleep:

Kc61
08-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Flop Dunn and Hatte in the order for awhile. Dunn at 2, Hatte at 5.

Rest Griffey today. Two days off will help him regroup.

Today, I would hit Dunn second, Hatte third, EE fourth, get RA into the lineup at shortstop. Use Hollandsworth in right, Freel in center.

DoogMinAmo
08-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Griffey should be no higher than fifth until he catches fire. It seems the bet way to capitalize on his HR power is to put the all the high OBP/OPS guys in front of him. Freel, Hatttie, Dunn, EE, then Griffey.

Wheelhouse
08-13-2006, 12:00 PM
I say we release this Dunn guy. WHAT?!? You mean to tell me he's the best player on the team?

Well then, I'll just start a thread with the sole purpose of bashing him. WHAT?!? There's already thousands of them? Dude, you should know, you started half of them. Oh yeah....

Your hatred of Dunn is becoming unhealthy.

I'm sorry, when did I say Dunn should be released? And when did I say I hate him? It seems your defensiveness about Dunn is really the thing that is unhealthy: you're seeing things.

Everyone else saw my post for what it is: initiating a discussion about batting order. You're a little bit paranoid IMO. Don't worry, the Reds won't trade Dunn. Just sit down and breathe into a bag for a moment. It'll be OK.

Matt700wlw
08-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Griffey's going long today....

Fullboat
08-13-2006, 12:20 PM
With Jr. batting third,I see nothing but smooth sailing.http://www.britannica.com/titanic/images/01_sideview-titanic.jpg

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 04:08 PM
With Jr. batting third,I see nothing but smooth sailing.http://www.britannica.com/titanic/images/01_sideview-titanic.jpg
Unsinkable they say.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, it looks like Jr's talk with his dad got him straightened out. He had a nice game Sunday. Gives one a ray of hope at least.

registerthis
08-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I disagree.

Dunn's only on pace for 111 RBI. But he's not an "RBI guy"?

Yeesh. Talk about a tired topic.

Wheelhouse
08-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Dunn is not a blue chip RBI guy, i.e., and maybe I should have defined this, a guy who drives in runs against excellent pitching in pressure situations. Griffey is the only proven guy the Reds have (meaning he's been around, seen the pitchers, and driven in the runs). The only other one close is Aurilia. And what's tired is people trying to portray .250 hitter who is the worst defender in baseball as one of the game's elite. I don't hate Dunn, he's a nice player and I'd love to see his defense and strikeout ratio improve. I'm glad the Reds have him. I'm just not fooled by the OPS fad. That's all.

In addition, what is NEVER factored into the "statistical" advocacy of Dunn's game is strikeouts. The strikeout is THE WORST at-bat a batter can have, in that it can in NO WAY help your team score runs--Dunn has set a record for them. A groundout can, even a double play ball can score a runner from third (though no RBI is given), a flyout can advance or score a runner. A strikeout is a pure out, where your teams efforts to score a run do not and cannot advance at all. His Ks easily offset the scoring benefits of his OBP and his solo HRs.

flyer85
08-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm just not fooled by the OPS fad. That's all.good for you.

guttle11
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's your lineup:

Freel
Hatteberg
Encarnacion
Dunn
Phillips
Griffey
Ross
Clayton
P

When Rich plays SS him 7 and Ross 8. When he plays first, bat him second.

westofyou
08-14-2006, 12:35 PM
good for you.
Nothing crazier then adding up the amount of times a guy doesn't make an out and the percentage of the amount of bases that he acquires when he does hit the ball.

Just plain nutty... up there with bullpen carts, shortpants uniforms, domed stadiums and churros.

Puffy
08-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Here's the order I would use right now:

Freel RF
Dunn LF
EdE 3B
Griffey CF
Hatteberg 1B
Aurilia 2B (or SS)
Phillips SS (or 2B)
Ross

Reds1
08-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Here's the order I would use right now:

Freel RF
Dunn LF
EdE 3B
Griffey CF
Hatteberg 1B
Aurilia 2B (or SS)
Phillips SS (or 2B)
Ross

Oh. Man, I don't know. Hatteberg in the 5th spot gives him 1 less AB per game. My vote is for 2nd hole. This might be a good poll. The rest of your line up is good, but just move Dunn down and everyone else and insert Hatte.

reds44
08-14-2006, 02:05 PM
My lineup:

Freel RF
Hatte 1B
Dunn LF
EE 3B
Griffey CF
Richie SS
Phillips 2B
Ross C

Narron almost had it right yesterday. Just needed to flip Dunn and Junior.

registerthis
08-14-2006, 02:14 PM
The strikeout is THE WORST at-bat a batter can have, in that it can in NO WAY help your team score runs

Yes, give me an inning-ending double play any day of the week over another one of those putrid strikeouts.

GAC
08-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Dunn is not a blue chip RBI guy, i.e., and maybe I should have defined this, a guy who drives in runs against excellent pitching in pressure situations.

If you're getting 111 RBI's then you're driving in runs vs excellent pitching and in pressure situations AT SOME POINT. ;)

So I really don't comprehend what you're saying when you attach this term "blue chip".

In addition, what is NEVER factored into the "statistical" advocacy of Dunn's game is strikeouts.

What do you mean it's not factored in? Sure it is.

The strikeout is THE WORST at-bat a batter can have, in that it can in NO WAY help your team score runs--Dunn has set a record for them.

Boy, this statement is a thread all in and of itself (and I think it has been).

registerthis
08-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Boy, this statement is a thread all in and of itself (and I think it has been).

Many, many, MANY times, in fact.

TeamBoone
08-14-2006, 03:34 PM
The strikeout is THE WORST at-bat a batter can have, in that it can in NO WAY help your team score runs--Dunn has set a record for them. A groundout can, even a double play ball can score a runner from third (though no RBI is given), a flyout can advance or score a runner. A strikeout is a pure out, where your teams efforts to score a run do not and cannot advance at all. His Ks easily offset the scoring benefits of his OBP and his solo HRs.

IMHO, the worst AB a batter can have is one that results in a DP. I'd much rather see a strikeout.

Registerthis... didn't finish reading the thread before I posted this. I have a tendency to resond right away instead of waiting.

Roy Tucker
08-14-2006, 03:36 PM
I believe Roy Chapman had the worst AB a batter could have.

westofyou
08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I believe Roy Chapman had the worst AB a batter could have.
Ray... I've read accounts that his eyeball popped out, others that didn't.

Color me intriqued.

Eric_Davis
08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
If they (and when I say they I mean Dunn) don't hit, we don't go to the playoffs. If Griffey isn't dropped in the order, we don't go to the playoffs.

Freel
Hatteberg
Dunn
Edwin
Ross
Rich-SS
Griffey
Phillips

should be the lineup. Too bad there is no chance Rich plays SS or Griffey bats 7th.

That's a no-brainer. It's so obvious that that should be the lineup.

The Manager just needs to grow some and do the right thing.

Good Managers don't play politics like Narron does.

Think that Ozzie Guillen would hesitate for a moment to do the right thing?