PDA

View Full Version : The Reds are Pretenders

bomarl1969
08-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Guys I love this franchise with every Red bone in my body, but I have to face reality, this team is only 3 games over .500. They are not worthy of a playoff spot. There is no comparison of the Reds of 1990, 95, or 99. Those teams were dominant throughout the year. This team reminds me of a Ray Knight club that will contend all year in a semi weak division and finish .500. Sorry for the negativity but I am now facing reality and preparing for football season...Who-Dey and Lets Go Mountaineers.

Falls City Beer
08-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Guys I love this franchise with every Red bone in my body, but I have to face reality, this team is only 3 games over .500. They are not worthy of a playoff spot. There is no comparison of the Reds of 1990, 95, or 99. Those teams were dominant throughout the year. This team reminds me of a Ray Knight club that will contend all year in a semi weak division and finish .500. Sorry for the negativity but I am now facing reality and preparing for football season...Who-Dey and Lets Go Mountaineers.

I do agree with one thing: Jerry Narron reminds me A LOT of Ray Knight as a manager.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Sorry for the negativity but I am now facing reality and preparing for football season...Who-Dey and Lets Go Mountaineers.

Since you mentioned it, and I've always wondered, what exactly do fans do to, "prepare for football season"?

Other than changing the batteries in the remote, I'm not sure of the exact protocol. What am I overlooking as I prepare to prepare for football season?

Trace's Daddy
08-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Dude, It's 2006, they're leading the Wild Card and are 2.5 games back from the Cards! :thisyear:

westofyou
08-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Since you mentioned it, and I've always wondered, what exactly do fans do to, "prepare for football season"?

Hit themselves in the head with a bag of chips and shotgun 4- 5 salsa's I think.

bomarl1969
08-13-2006, 11:14 AM

Other than changing the batteries in the remote, I'm not sure of the exact protocol. What am I overlooking as I prepare to prepare for football season?

Well part of that means that I'm done wearing my Reds gear and I'm ready to start wearing my Bengals and WVU colors now. I still think that its pathetic that the Bengals have now had better success than the Reds the past three seasons in row, not to mention a division title and a playoff berth. Wow Reds management should really take notes from the Bengals on how to turn a franchise around.

bomarl1969
08-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Dude, It's 2006, they're leading the Wild Card and are 2.5 games back from the Cards! :thisyear:

Don't get your hopes up, I've done one too many times with this team. The Cards are 8 games over, the Reds are 3. The Cards will win the division by at least 7 games and the Reds will be lucky to finish at .500. And the Wild Card, wait till the end of the month, then you guys will be ready for football as well.

jmac
08-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Well part of that means that I'm done wearing my Reds gear and I'm ready to start wearing my Bengals and WVU colors now. I still think that its pathetic that the Bengals have now had better success than the Reds the past three seasons in row, not to mention a division title and a playoff berth. Wow Reds management should really take notes from the Bengals on how to turn a franchise around.
so what are u gonna do if bengals lose first game and reds still lead wildcard ?:)

RedsManRick
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
The problem with that statement is that everybody besides the NYM, Cards, and Dodgers are pretenders -- which oddly enough makes us a contender.

bomarl1969
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
so what are u gonna do if bengals lose first game and reds still lead wildcard ?:)

I'd say that the Bengals will lose their first game. If I'm not mistaken they are playing on the road vs. KC.

Phil in BG
08-13-2006, 11:24 AM

The wild card is wide open regardless of how many games over .500 they are. They are within striking distance of the Cardinals. If you look at the teams the Reds are competing with, you have to see the same things in them. The NL is as weak as it's ever been. Anything can happen in the coming weeks. I'm pulling for the Reds. They have a 3 game series coming up in St. Louis and could be leaving there in 1st place. It's too soon to redirect away from baseball.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Well part of that means that I'm done wearing my Reds gear and I'm ready to start wearing my Bengals and WVU colors now.

Wow, this is quite the convoluted opperation, isn't it?

Reds Nd2
08-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Got rhythm I cant miss a beat
Got new skank its so reet
Got something Im winking at you
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice

BuckWoody
08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
The problem with that statement is that everybody besides the NYM, Cards, and Dodgers are pretenders -- which oddly enough makes us a contender.
Bing! That is exactly the case.

I understand the logic that says the Reds are playing over their heads and that they'll finish around .500. I also understand that the NL Wild Card team this year will most likely be a team right around .500. It might as well be the Reds!

I am a big Bengals' fan as well, but there is no way my Reds stuff goes on the shelf yet. Not if they're in 1st, not if they're in 5th. I just have to work extra hard on coordinating my wardrobe appropriately. Maybe a Reds T with Bengals shorts...or a Bengals T with a Reds cap. It's not easy but it can be done. ;)

butlerbulldogs
08-13-2006, 11:49 AM
i understand it may be tough to focus on football and baseball at the same time :roll: :explode:

Redhook
08-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Reds management should really take notes from the Bengals on how to turn a franchise around.

They are. Castellini and crew are taking the steps to turn this thing around. The Reds are just a couple of years behind the Bengals. Marvin Lewis had back-to-back 8-8 records when he came here. People started to see that the franchise turned the corner and was trying to win. Then finally, last year, the Bengals made the playoffs again. And now the fans are everywhere.

The Reds will most likely finish within a handful of games of .500 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if next year is somewhat similar, but it will probably have alot more stability with the new ownership having been here for a year. And by 2008, I expect playoffs. I really believe by 2008 this team will be very solid and the fans will be back on board for awhile. It takes time to turn around a perennial losing atmosphere.

MWM
08-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't get this. I've never been a believer that this team was anything more than a .500 ballclub. And while I think they have a chance at the playoffs, I have never thought that they were likely to truly get there. I think they'll come close, but I think one of the teams behind them is going to get hot (I think the Astros win the Wild Card). But I just forked out $129 on Friday to be able to watch the rest of the games this year. Before I moved, I forked out the full price for EI to watch April and May (that ended up not transferring when I moved.... long and frustrating story). I just don't see what you gain out of some kind of rezlization that you don't think the Reds are a playoff team. So what if you believe it, it's silly to let that change youe behavior or attitude towards following the team. You gain nothing from it.

westofyou
08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
You gain nothing from it.

Wrong.. you get a new wardrobe.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Good post Redhook.

The only thing I would argue with is the play-offs in 2008. Why not this year?

Just like in the NFL, once every so often an 8-8 team gets in, the same is going to happen in the NL this year.

None of the teams the Reds are competing with in this thing are that good. Like the Reds they all have flaws. Someone that is not great is going to get in. And the Reds have another shot to win the divison. What if Pujols pulls that muscle again? Even with him they keep losing and coming backwards.

Like Lou Brown in Major League, I'd like to stick around and see if we can't give them a nice big S*@T burger to eat.

MWM
08-13-2006, 11:55 AM
This reminds of people (and I'm friends with a couple of them) who bet against the team they follow in big games. They figure if the team loses, at least they win some money. But if the team wins, they don't care that they lost a few bucks. This is more a footbal thing, but this thread reminds me of that.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Wrong.. you get a new wardrobe.

:beerme:

OldXOhio
08-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't get this. I've never been a believer that this team was anything more than a .500 ballclub. And while I think they have a chance at the playoffs, I have never thought that they were likely to truly get there. I think they'll come close, but I think one of the teams behind them is going to get hot (I think the Astros win the Wild Card). But I just forked out $129 on Friday to be able to watch the rest of the games this year. Before I moved, I forked out the full price for EI to watch April and May (that ended up not transferring when I moved.... long and frustrating story). I just don't see what you gain out of some kind of rezlization that you don't think the Reds are a playoff team. So what if you believe it, it's silly to let that change youe behavior or attitude towards following the team. You gain nothing from it.

I too subscribe to what you're saying, but you know that there are some on here who deal with their frustration with the team by voicing some form of ultimatum in their opinion ("I'm done with this team", "I can no longer watch them", "The Reds are done"). It's simply a form of therapy for some. The Reds go on a 4-5 game win streak and sentiments like these all but dry up.

Jr's Boy
08-13-2006, 12:49 PM
The Cincinnati Reds are still in the hunt,and I for one have not been givin this joy(and pain for that matter)following the team this year in a decade.And i'm Damn sure going to enjoy it.football is the last thing on my mind at this juncture.Reds swept the Cards and Houston on the road,would have had two of three from the Mets had it not been for a few fielding errors.
Yes i'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet,and i'll be at Chavez Ravine at the end of the month cheering them on.

Tommyjohn25
08-13-2006, 12:51 PM
In personally think it's insulting to the Reds organaiztion to "get ready for football" in August, especially with the team in a pennant race. I don't like to question ones loyalty to the Reds as a fan, but my lord, would it kill you to put on your Reds hat for another month and a half? I'm as big a football fan as anyone else, but I just don't get it. If it pains you so much to support the team to the end, maybe you should begin to question your motives in rooting for them in the first place. JMO.

Matt700wlw
08-13-2006, 01:04 PM
"The Reds are pretenders"

You could say that about any team in the NL besides the Mets....but some of these pretenders will get to enjoy postseason play....that's the goal, right? Make the postseason, because once you do, you never know what can happen

FoReel
08-13-2006, 01:28 PM
In personally think it's insulting to the Reds organaiztion to "get ready for football" in August, especially with the team in a pennant race. I don't like to question ones loyalty to the Reds as a fan, but my lord, would it kill you to put on your Reds hat for another month and a half? I'm as big a football fan as anyone else, but I just don't get it. If it pains you so much to support the team to the end, maybe you should begin to question your motives in rooting for them in the first place.[/B] JMO.
Hmm.... I think you summarized a lot Cincinnati "fans". When the Bengals started winning the last few years it seems like there have been 'fans" that have been rooting for the Bengals since forever, all over the place. Same way with the Reds this year. If you are a true fan in Cinci you will stay through the thick and thin of the teams you love or root for.

cincrazy
08-13-2006, 01:57 PM
The Reds are strictly a .500 team, give or take a few wins. And if we finish on the plus side of .500, there's no reason we can't win the wild card. Whether we do or not, I'm on board until the end. This is a process, just like Marvin turning the Bengals around was and still IS a process (the next step in that process is too bail all of our players out of jail by tonight's game vs. the Redskins). People get too worked up one way or another after only one game around here. We are what we are... which is an average team in an extremely weak league.

redsmetz
08-13-2006, 02:19 PM
This reminds of people (and I'm friends with a couple of them) who bet against the team they follow in big games. They figure if the team loses, at least they win some money. But if the team wins, they don't care that they lost a few bucks. This is more a footbal thing, but this thread reminds me of that.

You're friends with Pete Rose?

Razor Shines
08-13-2006, 03:55 PM
While I disagree with you about them "worthy" of a playoff spot. I thought if you have a good enough record you are worthy. But I will say atleast you posted this after a victory, and you're staying consistent. Unlike the posters who post that the season is going to get uglier and uglier after every single loss, and then are not heard from after victories.

And like Maine Red, I have no idea what you do to get ready for football season.

westofyou
08-13-2006, 04:20 PM
And like Maine Red, I have no idea what you do to get ready for football season.First you break up with Baseball.

They say that breaking up is the hardest thing to do...

buckshotrod
08-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Pretenders and a .500 club? Personally I don't think so. the ownership of this club has continued to do whatever they can to make this club better. Take away the fact that they blew so many games early on it was not funny, they are quite a ways in front. I think from here on out they play good baseball and win the division. I don't give a fat rats a$# how weak anyone says the division is a win is a win is a win. And even if they don't make it into the playoffs (bite my frickin tongue) they are showing great strides for the future and doing better than most on this board or anywhere else thought they would. And btw, I don't see this great Cards team and mr Baseball burning up the league. If your done wearing your Reds gear with the season only 2/3 over than I would imagine you won't be looking for playoff tickets??? Yeah, I am a Bengals fan too have been since they came into existence and never did I quit wearing their gear regardless of how many jokes I took. Go Reds! It ain't over till it's over.

James B.
08-13-2006, 04:36 PM
In 1999 we had a great team and because of other teams having great years, didn't make the playoffs. Hopefully this is the year that makes up for that year. We will have an average record and hopefully still make the playoffs. Just like some have said, once you get into the playoffs anything can happen.

Reds Nd2
08-13-2006, 08:22 PM
It is time for you to stop all of your sobbing
Yes it's time for you to stop all of your sobbing oh oh oh
There's one thing you gotta do
To make me still want you
Gotta stop sobbing now
Yeah yeah stop it stop it

JTMONEY
08-13-2006, 08:26 PM
the reds are not pretenders this year we have players that can take us a long way and right now we are above .500 and we are 6-3 in august so far, and at the end of the season for the last couple of years we have done good at the end of the season which meant nothing those years, but could mean alot to the organizatiopn this year

Reds Nd2
08-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Wait a minute, this isn't a Chrissie Hynde thread?

RedsManRick
08-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Pretenders don't lead the WC and aren't within 1.5 games of the divison lead on August 13. I know this team isn't great -- we all do. But are in contention and there is no reason to believe we are suddenly going to fall out of contention. Being a contender doesn't mean you're going to win the World Series. It means you have a reasonable shot at the playoffs, and like it or not (apparently not), we do.

Always Red
08-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Wait a minute, this isn't a Chrissie Hynde thread?Love The Pretenders:thumbup:

TeamBoone
08-13-2006, 08:48 PM

This has me laughing out loud! It's an extremely good question.

TeamBoone
08-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Well part of that means that I'm done wearing my Reds gear and I'm ready to start wearing my Bengals and WVU colors now.

Wow. The Reds are 1.5 games out of first and this is how you feel?

Thank God the players aren't throwing in the towel like you are.

Don't get your hopes up, I've done one too many times with this team. The Cards are 8 games over, the Reds are 3. The Cards will win the division by at least 7 games and the Reds will be lucky to finish at .500. And the Wild Card, wait till the end of the month, then you guys will be ready for football as well.

How on earth can you, with good conscious as a Reds "fan", possibly give up on them at this stage of the season when they have just as much chance to win this thing as anyone else in the Central does?

I can't see how any "fan" could possibly do that because they THINK they won't be successful; and even if they're not successful in taking the NL Central or the WC, this is the most successful season they've had in a long time... be thankful that they are finally moving in a positive direction.

From where they sit right now, they should be picking up bandwagoners... not losing "fans" who say they love the team.

Your point of view as a fan when they sit 1.5 games out and atop the Wild Card kind of makes me sick.

Unbelievable. :thumbdown

Mario-Rijo
08-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I will comment in a while the 2005 AFC North Division Champs just ran on to the field for it's 1st '06 pre-season game. :evil: ;)

Tommyjohn25
08-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Wow. The Reds are 1.5 games out of first and this is how you feel?

Thank God the players aren't throwing in the towel like you are.

How on earth can you, with good conscious as a Reds "fan", possibly give up on them at this stage of the season when they have just as much chance to win this thing as anyone else in the Central does?

I can't see how any "fan" could possibly do that because they THINK they won't be successful; and even if they're not successful in taking the NL Central or the WC, this is the most successful season they've had in a long time... be thankful that they are finally moving in a positive direction.

From where they sit right now, they should be picking up bandwagoners... not losing "fans" who say they love the team.

Your point of view as a fan when they sit 1.5 games out and atop the Wild Card kind of makes me sick.

Unbelievable. :thumbdown

I think I will continuously give you rep for this post as frequently as the rep system allows me to.

KYRed
08-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I wonder, considering that from the NL, only the Mets look real impressive right now, will the commish just give them a bye to the World Series, and invalidate the playoff berths for the other 3 NL teams?

If not, we've still got everything to play for!

And it's sure not like the Mets are unbeatable. We did lose the season series with them 4-3 but I suspect most remember how we basically gave them the final game in NYC. They've really dominated some decent teams this year (Padres) but we could handle our own, especially in 5!

Mario-Rijo
08-13-2006, 11:07 PM
To bomarl1969,

Exhibit A:

Start of play 8-15-06 the Reds will be 61-57. 4 games over .500 Winners of 2 in a row. (.517 winning%)

1.5 Games Back of St. Louis
And anywhere from 1.5 up to .5 games down in the W/C Standings.

Exhibit B:

Start of play 8-15-05 the Reds were 54-64 10 games under .500 and losers of 2 in a row.

20 GB of St. Louis
10 GB of Houston for the W/C
Finished the season with a record of: 73-89 16 games under .500, 27 GB of St. Louis and 16 GB of Houston for the W/C

Exhibit C:

Final Standings for:
2004 76-86, 10 games under .500, 29 GB of St. Louis, 16 GB of Houston W/C
2003 69-93, 24 games under .500, 19 GB of Chicago, 22 GB of Florida W/C
2002 78-84, 6 games under .500, 19 GB of St. Louis, 17 GB of SF for the W/C
2001 66-96, 30 games under .500, 27 GB of St. Louis & Houston for both the division and the W/C

Exhibit D:

44 games to go at .517 winning% (the rest of the way) = 26-18 for a record of 87-75. That's if we play at that .517 clip, but as I further show you the not too distant future you might be surprised to see my prediction for the final standings in the NL Central and W/C.

Exhibit E:

As I said 44 games to go.
3 @ St Louis No more after that.
3 @ Houston & 3 vs. Houston @ home
3 @ L.A. (Hopefully they aren't still hot)
3 @ S.D. 3 vs. S.D. @ home
That's 15 vs. the Cream

And 29 vs. "The Rest"
3 @ Pitt. & 6 vs. Pitt @ Home = 9
4 @ S.F. & 3 S.F. @ Home = 7
3 @ Fla.
3 @ Chicago & 4 @ Home vs. the Cubbies = 7

Exhibit F:

Look at the schedules of the remaining "contenders" including St. Louis who now must beat out S.D. and Houston for the W/C. Because Cincy will finish with 90-92 wins to win the division. All we have to do is play .500 ball (8-7)vs. the cream and win say 21 of 29 vs. "The Rest". Walaa 90 wins now find 90 for St. Louis and Houston.

That my friend says it all, I am sticking with my Reds to win the Central and to play L.A. in the 1st round. BTW the Dodgers won't stay hot forever and we have not been close to hot since right after the break so my guess is we got at least one more hot streak in us. Oh one More thing we went what 3 & 4 vs. the Mets Hmmmm. We could end up right in the WS, I certainly don't hate my chances Against Glavine, Pedro & El Duque. That's if those broke down 'ole farts are even healthy then.

Tommyjohn25
08-13-2006, 11:19 PM
To bomarl1969,

Exhibit A:

Start of play 8-15-06 the Reds will be 61-57. 4 games over .500 Winners of 2 in a row. (.517 winning%)

1.5 Games Back of St. Louis
And anywhere from 1.5 up to .5 games down in the W/C Standings.

Exhibit B:

Start of play 8-15-05 the Reds were 54-64 10 games under .500 and losers of 2 in a row.

20 GB of St. Louis
10 GB of Houston for the W/C
Finished the season with a record of: 73-89 16 games under .500, 27 GB of St. Louis and 16 GB of Houston for the W/C

Exhibit C:

Final Standings for:
2004 76-86, 10 games under .500, 29 GB of St. Louis, 16 GB of Houston W/C
2003 69-93, 24 games under .500, 19 GB of Chicago, 22 GB of Florida W/C
2002 78-84, 6 games under .500, 19 GB of St. Louis, 17 GB of SF for the W/C
2001 66-96, 30 games under .500, 27 GB of St. Louis & Houston for both the division and the W/C

Exhibit D:

44 games to go at .517 winning% (the rest of the way) = 26-18 for a record of 87-75. That's if we play at that .517 clip, but as I further show you the not too distant future you might be surprised to see my prediction for the final standings in the NL Central and W/C.

Exhibit E:

As I said 44 games to go.
3 @ St Louis No more after that.
3 @ Houston & 3 vs. Houston @ home
3 @ L.A. (Hopefully they aren't still hot)
3 @ S.D. 3 vs. S.D. @ home
That's 15 vs. the Cream

And 29 vs. "The Rest"
3 @ Pitt. & 6 vs. Pitt @ Home = 9
4 @ S.F. & 3 S.F. @ Home = 7
3 @ Fla.
3 @ Chicago & 4 @ Home vs. the Cubbies = 7

Exhibit F:

Look at the schedules of the remaining "contenders" including St. Louis who now must beat out S.D. and Houston for the W/C. Because Cincy will finish with 90-92 wins to win the division. All we have to do is play .500 ball (8-7)vs. the cream and win say 21 of 29 vs. "The Rest". Walaa 90 wins now find 90 for St. Louis and Houston.

That my friend says it all, I am sticking with my Reds to win the Central and to play L.A. in the 1st round. BTW the Dodgers won't stay hot forever and we have not been close to hot since right after the break so my guess is we got at least one more hot streak in us. Oh one More thing we went what 3 & 4 vs. the Mets Hmmmm. We could end up right in the WS, I certainly don't hate my chances Against Glavine, Pedro & El Duque. That's if those broke down 'ole farts are even healthy then.

Fantastic post, and as for bomarl1969, I say let him/her go, the Reds don't need him/her as a fan anyways. I normally don't talk this way about another Reds fan, but his/her post really hit my hot button, if one thinks that the season is over for the Reds, then not only do I question their loyalty to the team, but I question their sanity. Let him/her go to a Bengals forum since the Reds are done anyhow,[SARCASM] I guess we're the idiots huh? I thought leading the WC and only 1 1/2 games out of the central was pretty good, and I thought I knew a thing or two about baseball. Guess I was wrong. [SARCASM]

KYRed
08-13-2006, 11:36 PM
To bomarl1969,

Exhibit D:

Exhibit F:

I love the analysis. One quick thing though, if we were to finish the final 44 games in 26-18, that's way above a .517 clip. The closest record to our current winning % would be 23-21, for a .522%.

That doesn't change the schedule breakdown though. I think we've more than held our own with the better NL teams this year, Dodgers withstanding. Our problem is "beating the teams you should beat", i.e. we are only 9-10 against the Cubs and Pirates. Compare that to 15-6 against STL & Hou. If we really could go 21-8 against the also-rans, I think we certainly lock up the Central. If offered right now though, I'd honestly take 18-11 or so in those games and take my playoff chances! I really hope we get more consistent against the bottom of the Central though.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
44 games to go at .517 winning% (the rest of the way) = 26-18 for a record of 87-75. That's if we play at that .517 clip

Your math is off a little. Playing .517 the rest of the way would get the reds 23 more wins which would give them an 84-78 record.

They are only 4 games over now and they have played 118 games and they are at .517. 26-18 is up around .600.

The way it looks right now, 84-85 wins, is probably the number.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Darn it KYRed, I was checking the numbers to make sure I was right and then I even hit refresh to make sure nobody else had made the correction before I posted and then you sneak in there :) .

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Awww, heck I'll help ya.

Houston has to make up that 3.5 game difference on us alone. 45 games to go.

6 vs. Us (we know how that has turned out this year)
7 Vs. St. Louis
3 Vs. Mets
6 vs. Philly
22 games vs. comparable teams

10 vs. Mil
6 Pitt.
3 Chi.
3 Atl.

St. Louis: 45 games to go
3 Vs. Us
3 vs. Mets
7 vs. Astros
4 vs. D-Backs
3 with S.D.
20 vs. comparable teams

6 vs. Cubs
3 vs Pitt
3 vs. S.F.
7 vs. Mil
3 vs. Fla
3 vs. the Nats

S.D.: 45 games to go
6 vs. us
3 vs. st. louis
8 vs. L.A.
12 vs. D-Backs
6 vs. Col
35 vs. comparable teams

7 vs. S.F.
3 vs. Pitt

(Oooowie, I hate to be S.D.)

L.A.: 45 games to go

3 vs. Us
4 vs. Mets
7 vs. S.D.
6 vs. D-Backs
6 vs. Col
20 vs. comparable teams

3 vs. Fla.
7 vs. S.F.
3 vs. Chi
3 vs. Mil
3 vs. Pitt
So just to wrap it up.

Cincy: 15 vs. good teams 29 vs. bad
Houston: 22 vs. good teams 13 vs. bad
St. Louis: 20 vs. good teams 25 vs. bad
S.D. 35 vs. good teams 10 vs. Bad
L.A. 26 vs. good teams 19 vs. bad

We play all these remaining teams at least 1 series each. We gotta put it on them but moreso we need to win the ones we are supposed to and let these others beat each other up. Man sure looks good too me.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by KYRed
I love the analysis. One quick thing though, if we were to finish the final 44 games in 26-18, that's way above a .517 clip. The closest record to our current winning % would be 23-21, for a .522%.

Yeah I knew it but for some reason couldn't come up with the right formula and figured somebody would correct me. :devil:

RANDY IN INDY
08-14-2006, 09:25 AM

Maybe, burn your couch? :evil: Nah, that's only for wvu fans. I'm not sure what kind of preparation it takes for a fan to get ready for football season.

Go Reds!

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Maybe, burn your couch? :evil: Nah, that's only for wvu fans. I'm not sure what kind of preparation it takes for a fan to get ready for football season.

Go Reds!

I think one needs to get their snack recipes in order, right??

Jr's Boy
08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Each month the Reds are supposed to fade,it's bad enough to hear that every month from these nuts who call themselves sportswriters.But having to hear it on here alot.........

tsj017
08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
In the NL this year, pretenders are contenders.

Remember that bit that was posted here from the St. Louis paper last week? The Cardinals are the only team in ML history to have TWO 8-game losing streaks without falling out of first place. That says something about the Cardinals, but it also says something about the Reds.

Over in the AL, the wild-card contenders are all something like 15-20 games over .500.

In the NL, a bunch of so-so teams are clustered near the .500 mark.

The Reds certainly have a chance, but they've got to do something they've not done so far--take advantage of opportunities when they're presented. The Cardinals have all but asked the Reds to catch them, and so far, our guys haven't been able to do it.

At any rate, it's mid-August, and we're still in the hunt! That's a nice change, no matter the circumstances. Even if we don't make the playoffs, simply finishing over .500 will make this a successful season. I'm anxious to see what Krivsky can do with an entire off-season to work with.

OldXOhio
08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Nah, that's only for wvu fans.

I thought they incorporate a heavy regimen of garbage can tosses, no?

registerthis
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
<sigh>

Such fickle fans some of us are...we're upset that the Reds are in a playoff race in a year when we think they SHOULDN'T be? We're reaping the benefits of a down year for the NL...as is practically every other NL team. So, what, we're saying we're above going to the playoffs in a year when the league as a whole is sucking wind?

Not I, my friend. If the Reds are the beneficiaries of a weak NL, I'm fine with that. If it gets the team into the playoffs, I'll simply be thrilled to be watching the Reds playing in October, something I haven't done for over a decade.

OldXOhio
08-14-2006, 03:24 PM
The Reds certainly have a chance, but they've got to do something they've not done so far--take advantage of opportunities when they're presented. The Cardinals have all but asked the Reds to catch them, and so far, our guys haven't been able to do it.

I think that ends starting tomorrow night. At home, fresh off a sweep in PIT, Reds fast on their heels...wouldn't surprise me in the least if the cards step it up a notch and win at least 2/3 in this series.

Blitz Dorsey
08-14-2006, 03:27 PM
The '99 Reds were "dominant throughout the season"??? That's news to me. I remember them being several games under .500 in May. That was a fun team to follow -- a team that ended up winning 96 games. But to say they were dominant throughout the season is a complete exaggeration.

Just enjoy it! We're in the race in mid-August. Who knows how it will turn out but I'm feeling pretty good about our chances! The Cardinals are simply not a great team this year. Plus we're leading the wildcard. Enjoy it!