PDA

View Full Version : exciting time

princeton
08-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I took two li'l princetons to last night's game. Observations:

1. Ryan Freel: faster than a Ryan Howard synapse. How awesome is that. I mean, synapses are (usually) really, REALLY fast, and Ryan Freel is faster. Also beat the third baseman to the bag on a steal.

2. OTOH, a glacier forced Jr out of the passing lane. Wish my kids had seen him when...

3. Same glacier passed Michalek's fastball. Not only did he throw slower than a little leaguer, but without even showing his best move, Michalek had the Phillies leading off first base like little leaguers. David Delucci almost had one leg in the coach's box

4. Kazillion balls died right between the mound and third base. Also very little league. Needed a third baseman from the 1900's out there.

5. Best home fan game that I have EVER seen. Phillies fans won a HR for their team, and also stayed away from a foul popup so Nunez could grab it for an out. Even three down, they stayed until the last out, because it was Guardado. Girl behind me was offered an engagement ring, but I'm not sure that she actually accepted it -- see, even the girls were smart!

Spitball
08-13-2006, 12:25 PM
:eek: A Ryan Howard synapse!? Is Ryan Howard like some kind of really, really big neuron?

princeton
08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Is Ryan Howard like some kind of really, really big neuron?

he apparently doesn't have a lot of neurons, but I assume that there is more than one

Highlifeman21
08-13-2006, 06:44 PM
But, did you get your Reds hat stolen right off your head, only to chase after the guys to watch them bolt directly out of the LF gate?

You stay classy, Phillies Phans.

PS - I want a new hat

Spitball
08-13-2006, 06:58 PM
he apparently doesn't have a lot of neurons, but I assume that there is more than one

I guess Howard would need more than one for a synapse, even a slow synapse. :runaway: :runaway:

TeamBoone
08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
But, did you get your Reds hat stolen right off your head, only to chase after the guys to watch them bolt directly out of the LF gate?

You stay classy, Phillies Phans.

PS - I want a new hat

Ooooooh! That stinks!

Rojo
08-15-2006, 09:31 PM
2. OTOH, a glacier forced Jr out of the passing lane. Wish my kids had seen him when...

He's so fast that when he turns out the light he's in bed before sunrise.

REDREAD
08-16-2006, 03:31 AM
He's so fast that when he turns out the light he's in bed before sunrise.

I thought that line went, "he's so fast when he turns out the light, he's in bed before it gets dark" :laugh:

Highlifeman21
08-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Ooooooh! That stinks!

Ask Cyclone, he was sitting right next to me.

Very surreal moment.

RFS62
08-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Ask Cyclone, he was sitting right next to me.

Very surreal moment.

Now Highlifeman21, there has to be more to this story.

Did you sit beside him the whole game and overwhelm him with your RedsZonitude? Did he feel so inadequate in your pressence, that swiping your hat was all he could come up with?

I've got to hear this whole story.

And Princeton, what a kick taking kids to a major league game.

:beerme:

Highlifeman21
08-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Now Highlifeman21, there has to be more to this story.

Did you sit beside him the whole game and overwhelm him with your RedsZonitude? Did he feel so inadequate in your pressence, that swiping your hat was all he could come up with?

I've got to hear this whole story.

And Princeton, what a kick taking kids to a major league game.

:beerme:

Cyclone, Mole44 and I sat pretty much right behind the fair pole down the LF line. 2nd row. We actually had a good conversation with some Phillies fans 1 row behind us, and a little to our right. As for the other Phillies fans....

Our attire: I was wearing my red Sunday Dunn jersey, and had my away Reds hat on, backwards. Cyclone, sitting right next to me, had his pinstripped Larkin jersey on, and had his home Reds hat on. Mole44 was wearing a Reds mesh trucker hat, and had a grey Reds t-shirt. To Phillies fans for the rest of the night, they called us Dunn and Larkin, respectively.

A group of probably 5-6 guys was about 5 rows behind us. The only time we really got animated was when the Reds did something positive, but we'd stand up, clap, spread around some high 5s between the 3 of us and that was it. We never engaged in comments of conversation with the gaggle behind us, just laughed to ourselves at some of their comments, which each inning included a token "Reds suck" mixed in with a "Go back to Cincy, Dunn and Griffey".

So, for a good 7 innings, up until the top of the 9th, we're still getting a couple shouts our way, but nothing that really seemed hostile or anything of that nature.

Top of the 9th rolls around, and I was looking back and to the left to watch something on the scoreboard, and this kid is directly behind me and snatches my hat off my head. He takes a couple steps toward the aisle, and kinda motions at me like he's gonna throw it back to me. He does nothing of the sort. He proceeds to bolt up the aisle, which leads me to jump over a row of seats, get to the aisle and chase. The kid taking the hat is wearing a red Utley t-shirt, b/c there's only about 15000 people wearing those in the crowd, so once he gets up to the concourse, he's easy to find....

At this point, I see my hat tossed from one kid to another, and I follow the hat, but by this time they are in a big crowd heading towards the LF gate.

Phillies Phan 1, Highlifeman 0.

We didn't rock much RedsZoneitude. We were more obnoxious the previous night sitting on the 3B side, almost even with the bag, probably 25 rows up, than we were behind the fair pole. The 3 of us just laughed to each other everytime this group came up with the lamest insults we'd ever heard.

I'm sure Cyclone or Mole44 could fill in any blanks I might have left, since it all happened in a blur, and was definitely a surreal "did that just happen?" moment.

Now, I just kinda laugh at it, b/c it's so nonsensical, but that hat really tied the outfit together, dude.