PDA

View Full Version : Everyday Eddie G. reminds me of........

buckscout
08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Danny Graves....always makes it interesting.

Reds4Life
08-13-2006, 04:52 PM
He's been very good as a Red thus far, he's nothing like Graves.

dougdirt
08-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Graves was decent for a while for the Reds....

keeganbrick
08-13-2006, 04:56 PM
He has a nagging injury but Narron runs him out to the mound instead of Shack, awesome!

Chainer
08-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Danny Graves....always makes it interesting.

Let's not go TOO far, bud. :cool:

redlegs2370
08-13-2006, 04:58 PM
unfortunately I think Eddy has ran out of gas. I love his fire but I don't think he has the stuff. The Reds really need a legitamate closer and that will ultimately be their downfall.

Redhook
08-13-2006, 05:03 PM
unfortunately I think Eddy has ran out of gas. I love his fire but I don't think he has the stuff. The Reds really need a legitamate closer and that will ultimately be their downfall.

Way too many of our pitchers are running out of gas. Guardado, Majic, EZ, Arroyo, Mercker (DL)....the list seems endless.

buckscout
08-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Let's not go TOO far, bud. :cool:

I know, but Eddie always at least gives up a hit, or at least it seems that way. I dont know his actual stats. Danny Graves used to do the same stuff, go out there and give up a hit, walk, stolen base, then a double play to end the game.

Chainer
08-13-2006, 05:23 PM
I know, but Eddie always at least gives up a hit, or at least it seems that way. I dont know his actual stats. Danny Graves used to do the same stuff, go out there and give up a hit, walk, stolen base, then a double play to end the game.

Eddie is streaky....he will go and close out 3-4 games and not give up a hit, or he will do like he has the last few nights.

jimbo
08-13-2006, 06:07 PM
In defense of Eddie, he had some shoddy defensive play behind him this weekend that contributed to the blown saves.

mbgrayson
08-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Good thing Monday is an off day. I think with his arm now, he will do better on a day rest.

It is worth noting that he didn't give up an earned run in either of the 'blown save' games. Today gave up three hits tho, but the EE error kept him from squeaking by.

We can't make EveryOtherDay Eddie get four outs every day...

steig
08-13-2006, 06:54 PM
From what I've seen Eddie either has his good stuff or not. If he is good then I feel confident, but if he comes in missing his spots and looks tight then the game will definately be interesting. I don't think he is anything like graves. Graves made the game interesting for the other team and drove reds fans to drinking. Graves is the sole reason that the stadium should have been serving beer after the 7th inning.

Team Clark
08-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Geez...give the guy a break. He was throwing 83 MPH tonight. He even said before the game he was on fumes. He should not have been out there. Not to mention he has a slight injury. The guy is a gamer.

JTMONEY
08-13-2006, 07:22 PM
i love this guy he pumps up the team after the game and probably pumps up the whole locker room which is why we are so good and have so much chemistry this year

Ltlabner
08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Yea....9 for 10 for saves (or something like that)...totally like Graves at the end. :rolleyes:

But I hear where you are comming from. But Graves problems were of his own making where Eddies are mostly the result of defense mistakes. EE doesn't muff the play tonight and the game is over in the bottom of the 9th.

I was at the game on August 4th where he had the bases loaded in the top of the 9th with either 1 or 0 outs. He got us out of that jam but that was definatley INTERESTING to say the least.

TeamBoone
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM

No, Eddie has a sore forearm and has had it for a week or two. When it first started he was unable to pitch for several days. It's better now, but not gone. He can still pitch, but not as effectively.

Personally, I think they should have him rest it and go to an alternative "closer" until it's better. He's going to be needed big time in September.

Plus, if they don't, and the Reds actually get to the post season, it will probably come back to bite them.

Newman4
08-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Great move by Narron. Send the guy out there three straight nights with an injury. Heck, I thought he did decent considering that. How many closers close three straight anyway?

TeamSelig
08-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Every Day Eddie is exactly what his name says... might as well call him Every single Day Eddie! Nothin' like throwin 83 mph high heaters that they can't catch up to... haha I love it

KYRed
08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Personally, I think they should have him rest it and go to an alternative "closer" until it's better. He's going to be needed big time in September.

Plus, if they don't, and the Reds actually get to the post season, it will probably come back to bite them.

I agree. Do we miss him for 5-7 days right now or do we have him under 100% (or even close) for the rest of the year, making him more hittable?

Take the hit now, or maybe right after we play the final 3 against STL.

rdsfn
08-13-2006, 11:27 PM
I honestly didn't expect to see Eddie out on the mound today. I thought Narron would give him the day off, since he has been having a little stiffness in his forearm. I was surprised when he was warming up in the bullpen. Yes, he blew the save, but the Reds ended up winning in the end, so it all worked out. There is an off day tomorrow. Eddie can get some rest and then get ready for the SAVE for Harang against the Cards on Tuesday!!! :thumbup:

KronoRed
08-14-2006, 12:22 AM
I was thinking Graves like today as well, not cause he blew the save, but because he seems to throw the same type of pitches

Graves was ok for a few years, lets just not try and turn Eddie into a starter with a big long term deal to boot ;)

redssouth
08-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Well, I think the thing a lot of you are missing is that this was more than likely Eddie's call. JN probably has a chat with him before the game everyday, or at least Tom Hume does, and asks him "can you go tonight, and for how long" Eddie being the gamer he is, said he could answer the bell tonight. JN trusts Eddie to be honest enough and professional enough to tell him if he cant go. There are plenty of things to blame Jerry Narron for, but some of you people are grasping at straws to find things to be mad at Jerry about. Dont you like being in the pennant race?

TeamBoone
08-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Unless the pain is unbearable, most guys will say they're fine, whether they are or not. And more often than not, it gets them into trouble down the line because the pain/injury ends up getting worse and thus hurts the team in the long run. Most good managers know this and I doubt they even ask, they just DON'T.

Kc61
08-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Weathers and Guardado can pitch on my team anyday. Both gamers, both go right after the hitters. I cringed when Jerry used Eddie today, but he is the only legit closer and it is hard to resist using him.

Hopefully, Reds will win easily on Tuesday and Eddie can have two rest days in a row. But how likely is that?

redssouth
08-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Unless the pain is unbearable, most guys will say they're fine, whether they are or not. And more often than not, it gets them into trouble down the line because the pain/injury ends up getting worse and thus hurts the team in the long run. Most good managers know this and I doubt they even ask, they just DON'T.

Oh really??? Maybe in the 50's... but not in the days of the multi million dollar long term contract. If you thing that more than a handful of players are playing hurt, and I mean performance effecting, with the risk of further injury hurt, i dont believe it. And a manager is not paid to be a mind reader. He is there to have effective lines of communication with his players, and part of that is getting whether or not that bullpen guy can go or not. What makes you think they dont ask? You say it so assuredly using CAPS and all. Just curious.

redssouth
08-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Weathers and Guardado can pitch on my team anyday. Both gamers, both go right after the hitters. I cringed when Jerry used Eddie today, but he is the only legit closer and it is hard to resist using him.

Hopefully, Reds will win easily on Tuesday and Eddie can have two rest days in a row. But how likely is that?

Im with you on that one... both are proving to be solid vets, hopefully the younger guys are learning a thing or two from them.

KYRed
08-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Oh really??? Maybe in the 50's... but not in the days of the multi million dollar long term contract. If you thing that more than a handful of players are playing hurt, and I mean performance effecting, with the risk of further injury hurt, i dont believe it. And a manager is not paid to be a mind reader. He is there to have effective lines of communication with his players, and part of that is getting whether or not that bullpen guy can go or not. What makes you think they dont ask? You say it so assuredly using CAPS and all. Just curious.

Well, for a Reds example for the situation that TeamBoone provided, we have to go all the way back to....a week ago. Gary Majewski fits the bill I believe. Some players will be honest, but I think a group does fit the other side.

TeamBoone
08-14-2006, 03:03 AM

Yes, really.

I can think of a few right off the top of my head:

Majewski, Weathers (earlier this year), Wilson (when he first started hurting), Milton (last year), Dunn (when he had the hairline fracture), Casey (can't remember what it was... hip?), Freel (shoulder).

Once they were discovered to be hurt, I believe they were referred to as "gamers".

With a bit of research, I'm sure I can find more.

redssouth
08-14-2006, 09:00 AM
I said there were a handful of players... but the norm is whenever you start to feel something, shut it down. Sometimes injuries are determined after the fact, because the reality is most of these guys are late 20's to early 30's.. and your body just tends to ache at some point in your life when you put that much stress and strain on it. Sometimes, there is the old tired arm, is that an injury as well??? That is pretty much Majewski's injury. Not really an injury, more of an inconviencance. Dont mistake pain from injury. Dunn's hairline fracture, injury. No doubt. But sometimes injuries are assigned as an excuse to give a guy some rest. Especially pitchers that are getting tagged. And I would still like to know how you know a manager doesnt ask his bullpen guys if they can pitch or not.

Chainer
08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes, really.

I can think of a few right off the top of my head:

Majewski, Weathers (earlier this year), Wilson (when he first started hurting), Milton (last year), Dunn (when he had the hairline fracture), Casey (can't remember what it was... hip?), Freel (shoulder).

Once they were discovered to be hurt, I believe they were referred to as "gamers".

With a bit of research, I'm sure I can find more.

Mercker would be one as well...

TeamBoone
08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
And I would still like to know how you know a manager doesnt ask his bullpen guys if they can pitch or not.

Because I see it in the newpaper writeups all the time... (paraphrasing: When I'm asked to take the ball, I take it"). Unless it's excruciating, they don't say "sorry, my arm hurts today".

I've seen this reported over and over again, usually after the player has reached his pain threshold and finally come clean about not being up to snuff for awhile.

flyer85
08-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Even with his drop in velocity over the last few years EG still misses a lot of bats.

Ltlabner
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Because I see it in the newpaper writeups all the time... (paraphrasing: When I'm asked to take the ball, I take it"). Unless it's excruciating, they don't say "sorry, my arm hurts today".

I've seen this reported over and over again, usually after the player has reached his pain threshold and finally come clean about not being up to snuff for awhile.

And how many times have we seen this happen on the Reds? Merker, Belisle, Wilson, etc. I've posted about it a few times.

MLB players just aren't going to fess up to injuries unless their extremidies are becoming detached, they can barely walk or it really burns when they pee. Oh wait. Different topic.

redssouth
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM

Point taken... I think we may be talking about two different scenarios in all honesty... If a pitcher hasnt been used, yeah, I think that is the case, but I believe in a case like Eddie G, or Weathers, where they are pitching frequently, there is a very open line of communication on whether they feel like they can go or not. Say Eddie pitches two days in a row, I am sure that narron inquires as to whether or not said pitcher feels like he can go that day and for how long... for instance whether Eddie thinks he can get 4 outs that day, or whether he is strictly a one inning pitcher. I just think it is naive to think that the manager gets no input whatsoever to how ready or available his bullpen guys are for a paticular game. For instnace, if that wasnt the case, how did Narron now that Cormeir wasnt available the other day in Philly?

boognish
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
What is the solution? If the player doesn't say something, or "cover up" an injury with a mechanical adjustment, there is no way to gauge, say, when to give a player an MRI...even periodic examinations wouldn't uncover every scenario.

It seems like the Reds have a problem, especially with pitchers. Is it only bad luck? How many of these are preventable?

This season, Claussen, Mercker, Weathers, Majewski, and Milton have all had some sort of injury they "played through," and Milton is the only one whose injury was not related to his pitching arm.

TeamBoone
08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
For instnace, if that wasnt the case, how did Narron now that Cormeir wasnt available the other day in Philly?

Because his hip was really hurting and he told JN that; in that instance he was unable to pitch... he couldn't fake it. A pitcher can't pitch without a hip... JN would have known it when he threw his first pitch.

redssouth
08-14-2006, 03:16 PM
So he was aware, therefore there must have been some conversation before the game. Im just glad he found his hip sometime before the next game :)