PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to take EZ's next turn in the rotation?

SMcGavin
08-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Looks like we are set with Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lohse right now. So if it was up to you, who would take Elizardo's start?

Options as I see:
Elizardo Ramirez
Ryan Franklin
Phil Dumatrait
Chris Michalak
Homer Bailey

The question is not who do you think will start, it's who do you WANT to start. Vote!

Edited to add, I voted Michalak. To be honest, I don't think he's the answer, and he'll probably get hit hard his next start. But how you do keep any credibility with your team if you tell him his work last night wasn't good enough to earn a start?

JTMONEY
08-13-2006, 06:05 PM
I would go with michalak for one more start if he does good keep him and if not bring up homer which today pitched 5 innings and 11 K's what a performance

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Michalak will get it.

Highlifeman21
08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Who do I want? Dumatrait

Who do I think will get it? Franklin

Who needs to enjoy last night's effort and offer his services from the bullpen? Michalak

I know some fans were/are inspired by him last night, but being there in person left me less than inspired. He honestly did remind me of Dave Williams, but somehow Michalak got guys out, although giving up 3 hits and 2 walks and striking out no one. He had a slightly better GB to FB ratio, 3:2, but some of those grounders to SS and 3B had some heat on them. I'm not trying to beat the guy up for last night, but it really was smoke and mirrors and I don't think our expectations can be high for him for a next start. Take what we got from him once and move on.

reds44
08-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Franklin with Homer taking his spot in the bullpen.

WMR
08-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Krivsky should continue his penchance for manning up and promote Bailey and Dumatrait to the big club.

Mario-Rijo
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I think Michalak, because it's Pittsburgh (although they have been playing pretty well as of late) and we have plenty of Lefties already in the pen. We likely would need Franklin for Michalak.

Dunner44
08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Franklin. I've said this other places, but I think a lot of the success Michalak had last night came from the fact that the Phils didn't have time to scout him. He was only added to the roster that day, and came up as a long guy anyway.

If I'm a hitter, I'm going to scout the teams starter and their top relief guys (top 2 set-up men and closer). Long reliever is last on my list of guys to start. Michalak could continue his smoke and mirrors as a long guy very well as long as teams don't get a chance to really break him down. Look at what happened to Randy Keisler when he got a chance to pitch regularly after his big game last year.

Franklin has a LB track record as a starter, and I recall someone saying he had an era of close to 4.5 as a starter. That is in the AL mind you, so take off a run or two.

I think Franklin deserves the shot, his stuff is superior, and he impressed me a whole lot in the game he took over for Ramirez in. He let up one homer after he was gassed and the other two runs he allowed were on a line drive smoked JUST fair down the left field line, and the 3B ump sucked, so who knows. His K of Albert was mighty impressive, and he looked good the whole game. I think he'll make a decent #5 starter for the rest of the season.

KySteveH
08-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Franklin has a LB track record as a starter, and I recall someone saying he had an era of close to 4.5 as a starter. That is in the AL mind you, so take off a run or two.

A run or two??? I know that AL is a better hitting league, but not 2 runs on an ERA better.

Dunner44
08-14-2006, 09:25 AM
A run or two??? I know that AL is a better hitting league, but not 2 runs on an ERA better.

Scouts were saying that when evaluating pitching trades during the deadline this year, if a pitcher moved from the NL to the AL, add up to 1.5 runs to his ERA nad vice versa. The AL has been the dominant league this year by far. With Kyle Loshe, I'd attribute some of his success to batters not having seen him and some to his time off to regroup in AAA and in a relief role, but some of it just has to do with the fact that half the NL lineups he faces are judy hitters who have no place on a decent AL lineup.