PDA

View Full Version : Watching Barry Bonds

RFS62
08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
If you've been watching the Giants on ESPN tonight, you saw a super slow motion analysis of his incredible stroke.

If you put all the personal opinions of Bonds' character aside, what's left is the greatest killing stroke of all time. There's never been anything like it. The pure simplicity of his stroke, the tremendous plate discipline ..... I just don't think I've ever seen a more efficient and devestating approach.

I can't stand the guy, but man, I could watch that swing all day.

Falls City Beer
08-13-2006, 10:45 PM
A quick bat can mask so many other deficiencies in a hitter's approach: case in point, David Ross. Not an outstanding hitter, but man he has a nice short quick stroke through the zone.

But when you see the form and speed together in Barry's swing, it's a sight to behold. He's still the most terrifying bat that I've witnessed in my lifetime.

He's like a pirouetting bull.

Phhhl
08-13-2006, 11:30 PM
... which makes it even more sad that he cheated. Before the steroid flap hit the fan I had no problem recognizing Bonds as the greatest hitter I have ever seen. No doubt, the quick hands and incredible power he generated with his swing were a thing of beauty for anyone who enjoyed baseball on any level. But, those classic reflexes were maintained artificially in his golden years. There is not enough doubt about that to rescue his legacy.

StillFunkyB
08-13-2006, 11:30 PM
If you've been watching the Giants on ESPN tonight, you saw a super slow motion analysis of his incredible stroke.

If you put all the personal opinions of Bonds' character aside, what's left is the greatest killing stroke of all time. There's never been anything like it. The pure simplicity of his stroke, the tremendous plate discipline ..... I just don't think I've ever seen a more efficient and devestating approach.

I can't stand the guy, but man, I could watch that swing all day.

Very well said RFS.

I once watched an interview with Bonds, where he was talking about his swing. The part that really stood out was where he was saying that it's like he tries to catch the ball with the bat, and then throw it back. It was one of those things where your like "Ohhhhhhh" (easier said then done, for sure).

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 09:02 AM
... which makes it even more sad that he cheated. Before the steroid flap hit the fan I had no problem recognizing Bonds as the greatest hitter I have ever seen. No doubt, the quick hands and incredible power he generated with his swing were a thing of beauty for anyone who enjoyed baseball on any level. But, those classic reflexes were maintained artificially in his golden years. There is not enough doubt about that to rescue his legacy.

I think you've hit it right on the head. He could have been standing shoulder to should with Griffey and very possibly enjoying the accolades. There was no reason to pump up.