PDA

View Full Version : St Louis series and Milton's career in Cincy

princeton
08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Eric Milton's not pitching in this series, but the outcome of the games could influence whether he's here next season.

would the Reds would let Eric Milton's remaining contract (about $10.5mill) go to another team if claimed on waivers? It seems doubtful given 1.5 GB, but if I were the Reds, I would've waited to place him on waivers until the end of August. If we're 6 GB on Aug 30... we could probably think of a few ways to spend that cash in the offseason, and some other contending team might be more interested in that contract.

wins in St.Louis would solidify Milton's position here. Losses may destabilize it.

Reds1
08-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Ironic that he's much needed right now!

Ltlabner
08-14-2006, 11:28 AM
And interesting question.

I actually like Milton as a pitcher <ducks to avoid flying vegitables>

He can't help that he was offered a stupid contract. The size of the contract makes it doubtfull that it would make sense to have him back in 2007 (I think that's the option year?).

But as far as this year I think you are right. If we've collapsed by the end of August and another team claims him, I'd say jump for joy and let him go. If we're still in the hunt we'll need his arm since we don't have a bunch of options for starting pitching. (This all assumes that we don't suddenly pick up a stud pitcher).

He can be effective but his knee has to be healthy and his control has to be spot on. That's two big "IF'S". But when he's on he can be very good for 6 innings. If we are in the hunt in 2006 and have no better pitching options in 2007 I'd say he should be in the starting rotation <ducks again to avoid flying chairs>

reds44
08-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Why would we want to let Milton go when he has been either our best or 2nd best starting pitcher over the past month and a half?

princeton
08-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Why would we want to let Milton go when he has been either our best or 2nd best starting pitcher over the past month and a half?

$

reds44
08-14-2006, 11:30 AM
$
Might as well let Griffey go while your at it.

princeton
08-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Might as well let Griffey go while your at it.

nobody would claim him

dabvu2498
08-14-2006, 11:35 AM
nobody would claim him
10-5 also

Danny Serafini
08-14-2006, 11:53 AM
This whole excercise is moot because no one is going to claim a pitcher with an $8 million contract and a 5 ERA.

princeton
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
no one is going to claim a pitcher with an $8 million contract and a 5 ERA.

if he clears waivers, and he certainly may have already, then that simply makes him more tradeable.

redsfan30
08-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Nobody's going to take him on this year because he's under contract for 2007.

Plus, assuming we're still in it to the end, we need him. He's been easily our second best starting pitcher for the last couple months.

BRM
08-14-2006, 12:49 PM

Plus, assuming we're still in it to the end, we need him. He's been easily our second best starting pitcher for the last couple months.

I think the point being made at the beginning of the thread was based on the Reds falling out of the race. If they stumble at the end of the month and fall 6 or 7 back, should they trade him if a buyer is there?

princeton
08-14-2006, 01:16 PM

Plus, assuming we're still in it to the end, we need him. .

you see the conflict in your two statements, yes? Nobody would want him; we would want him.

if we would want him, then someone else might want him.

captainmorgan07
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
And interesting question.

I actually like Milton as a pitcher <ducks to avoid flying vegitables>

He can't help that he was offered a stupid contract. The size of the contract makes it doubtfull that it would make sense to have him back in 2007 (I think that's the option year?).

But as far as this year I think you are right. If we've collapsed by the end of August and another team claims him, I'd say jump for joy and let him go. If we're still in the hunt we'll need his arm since we don't have a bunch of options for starting pitching. (This all assumes that we don't suddenly pick up a stud pitcher).

He can be effective but his knee has to be healthy and his control has to be spot on. That's two big "IF'S". But when he's on he can be very good for 6 innings. If we are in the hunt in 2006 and have no better pitching options in 2007 I'd say he should be in the starting rotation <ducks again to avoid flying chairs>
im right there with u a good 3rd starter who lately has kept us in everygame not much more u could ask for he puts together quality starts

15fan
08-14-2006, 02:28 PM
The time to move Eric Milton is whenever there's a taker for him.

westofyou
08-14-2006, 02:30 PM
nobody would claim him
From belle of the ball to wallflower.

Eric_Davis
08-14-2006, 05:03 PM
The Cardinals would take him....They'll take any starting pitcher.

Rojo
08-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I'd say Elizardo's implosion has given Milton some job security.

Moosie52
08-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Milton's been more effective than Arroyo the last 2 months.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I think someone would claim Milton.

Heck, if I was the Cards and the Reds waived Milton today, I'd claim him because that assures the Cards that the Lizard and Franklin are in the rotation.

If the Reds were 7 games out and waived Milton, someone might claim him this year. Pitching is that scarce. After all, the Cards got Weaver and the Yanks got Ponson. The Diamondbacks grabbed Hernandez, despite the fact that he's due about as much as Milton is next year.

traderumor
08-14-2006, 06:54 PM
If the Reds get swept in this series, they're still "only" 4-1/2 games out and probably only a game or two out in the WC. I'm not following how his future hinges on this series, not to mention the white flag is probably never going up this year due to the floundering in the WC race.

vaticanplum
08-14-2006, 07:03 PM
As a side note, off-days drive me nuts at this point, so I checked the schedule to see how many the Reds have left. Just three -- all in September. They are going to be a-tired.

creek14
08-14-2006, 07:20 PM
$
But Carl no longer owns the team.

15fan
08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Heck, if I was the Cards and the Reds waived Milton today, I'd claim him because that assures the Cards that the Lizard and Franklin are in the rotation.

It also would assure that Milton would be pitching every 5th day for the Cards.

And St. Loo would be on the hook for $9 million in 2007 for Eric Milton, too.