PDA

View Full Version : Reds-robilia

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm decorating my semi-finished basement in a Reds theme, and I'm looking for some cheap Reds flags, throw rugs, floor pillows, clocks, and wall art. I've checked mlb.com and eBay and the prices are decent, but I was wondering if there are any local Cincinnati stores that might be cheaper. (I know you can get Royals junk here in KC cheaper than you can on the internet.)

Any thoughts on discount merchants I could contact?

Heath
08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Johnny - unless you think a trip to Cincinnati is in order, I'd suggest what you are doing is the best - and I've gotten a few things off eBay - Reds wise and the quality is good.

Meijers and Wal-Mart sell some Reds stuff, but football season is starting and lots of that stuff is being put away.

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Johnny - unless you think a trip to Cincinnati is in order, I'd suggest what you are doing is the best - and I've gotten a few things off eBay - Reds wise and the quality is good.

I've got in-laws who live in Indianapolis, and they make frequent trips to Cincinnati, so I could have them buy some things if I told them where to look.

Heath
08-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I've got in-laws who live in Indianapolis, and they make frequent trips to Cincinnati, so I could have them buy some things if I told them where to look.

The only place that I know of that used to keep stuff like that around in the off-season is the Cincy Shop in the Tri-County Mall.

I did go online on ebay.com - and the pillows, throws, etc you saw there, you used to get at Meijers or Wal-Mart (and ebay actually is a little cheaper) - but the Bengals stuff is slowly overtaking what Reds stuff is left.

GAC
08-14-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm decorating my semi-finished basement in a Reds theme, and I'm looking for some cheap Reds flags, throw rugs, floor pillows, clocks, and wall art. I've checked mlb.com and eBay and the prices are decent, but I was wondering if there are any local Cincinnati stores that might be cheaper. (I know you can get Royals junk here in KC cheaper than you can on the internet.)

Any thoughts on discount merchants I could contact?

You're a man after my own heart Johnny, though you're obviously not married (or else you're one lucky man). :lol:

I wanted a section of our new house, a place that I can call "Mine", and decorate it to my liking. I got my area, but I'm not gonna be able to "decorate" it as I'd really like.

My wife said that if I tried to put up all the stuff that I wanted she'd divorce me............... I'm still thinkin' on it, cause it's kind of a tough decision and I don't do well under pressure. ;)

Heath
08-14-2006, 02:27 PM
You're a man after my own heart Johnny, though you're obviously not married (or else you're one lucky man). :lol:

I wanted a section of our new house, a place that I can call "Mine", and decorate it to my liking. I got my area, but I'm not gonna be able to "decorate" it as I'd really like.

My wife said that if I tried to put up all the stuff that I wanted she'd divorce me............... I'm still thinkin' on it, cause it's kind of a tough decision and I don't do well under pressure. ;)

GAC's got some nice stuff - I should know :D

Hey, Greg, you should have spent $$$$$$ on a basement. The first time we looked at our house, my wife and I went to the basement, saw it was dry and she looked at me and said, 'This is a nice place for a TV and a room to put your baseball stuff up."

Unfortuntely right now, its decorated early '90s Frat House. Its a "work in progress".

But I got a room!

redsfanmia
08-14-2006, 02:28 PM

I was also suppossed to have room to put all of my stuff in but 7 years in now I find that most of my stuff has been donated to goodwill or given away. I fought the fight for a few years but was worn down.:thumbdown

registerthis
08-14-2006, 02:29 PM

I'm getting married next month, and unfortunately the place we're moving into is not going to have much space (such is the bane of purchasing real estate in D.C.). However, I have been promised that when we move into a larger place I am goign to get a room for myself, where I can store my sports memorabalia, music gear, computer, stereo, etc. I'm going to hold her to that. I'm also asking her to put it in writing, because it strikes me as the kind of promise that can mysteriously vanish after the honeymoon is over. :)

gonelong
08-14-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm getting married next month, and unfortunately the place we're moving into is not going to have much space (such is the bane of purchasing real estate in D.C.). However, I have been promised that when we move into a larger place I am goign to get a room for myself, where I can store my sports memorabalia, music gear, computer, stereo, etc. I'm going to hold her to that. I'm also asking her to put it in writing, because it strikes me as the kind of promise that can mysteriously vanish after the honeymoon is over. :)

Uh oh. The mythical "dude space in the next house".

You might have to be a bit sneaky here and ask her to purchase some sort of memorabalia for your Christmas present. Tell her to buy something that she likes and that you'll display somewhere in the house as sort of a representation of your future space. That way she can share a bit in it with you. Make sure to mention the piece as one of your favorites when talking to one of your buddies at a party and she is in earshot. Prime a buddy or two into asking about the cool "x" you have and proudly tell them all about how your super-hot bought it for you.

Otherwise chance are you are going to have a craft room in your next house. :laugh:

If she catches on, burn your dude handbook and meet in the back of Lowes on Sunday for your reassignment instructions. :cool:

GL

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM

I am married, but my wife doesn't like the basement -- she says it's too dark and cold. It was too expensive to get it finished, but I was able to convince her that I could make it semi-liveable for less than $500. It's entirely my space, so I get to decorate it as I see fit.

My next task is to negotiate for a big TV. A projector would be perfect.

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 02:55 PM
The only place that I know of that used to keep stuff like that around in the off-season is the Cincy Shop in the Tri-County Mall.

I did go online on ebay.com - and the pillows, throws, etc you saw there, you used to get at Meijers or Wal-Mart (and ebay actually is a little cheaper) - but the Bengals stuff is slowly overtaking what Reds stuff is left.

That's good to know. I certainly didn't want to pay top-dollar on eBay for Wal-Mart stuff.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 02:57 PM
. I got my area, but I'm not gonna be able to "decorate" it as I'd really like.

:laugh: I love this, the wife says "you can do whatever you want, as long as it's the way I want it".

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 03:03 PM

My advice is to fight for a little space in the first place, no matter how small. Even if it's just a desk you can put your computer and stereo on, with a shelf over it for your bobbleheads or whatever. Surely, she can spare 4 feet of wall space for you. If nothing else, it lets you get your foot planted in the door. Otherwise, be prepared down the road for "This doesn't match the decor" or whatever other lame reason they come up with to keep your stuff permanently in storage, while their foo-foo stuff runs amok and unrestrained.

bucksfan
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Ah, the age-old "room-for-my-stuff" struggle. Mine has gone along the lines of others' here, except I know with 100% certainty my wife would never get rid of any of my stuff. But I have lost ground in "my room" - primarily because it doubles as our office/computer room and my wife has been wheeling and dealing on ebay now for over a year. This leaves all my stuff still intact to be sure, but now all my Reds/Buckeyes and darts stuff is intermingled with various items she is selling or researching to sell on Ebay, along with the requisite packaging materials. In general I have allowed this to happen as I really don't have another solution to offer her short of adding on to the house.

registerthis
08-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Otherwise chance are you are going to have a craft room in your next house. :laugh:

In other words, not too different from what we have already. :) I think I've appropriately put the fear of God in her, though. I told her that I plan on purchasing MLB EI next year, and if I don't have a place where I can watch it, it means watching all the Reds games in the living room, thus depriving her of Trading Spaces, Project Runway, Queer Eye and other assorted girl-TV. It also means she'll have to listen to my Rush albums. :evil:

If she catches on, burn your dude handbook and meet in the back of Lowes on Sunday for your reassignment instructions. :cool:

She found my dude handbook stashed behind the bookshelf last year and disposed of it. I'm working without a safety net right now. :eek:

registerthis
08-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Otherwise, be prepared down the road for "This doesn't match the decor" or whatever other lame reason they come up with to keep your stuff permanently in storage, while their foo-foo stuff runs amok and unrestrained.

OMG, you took the words right out of her mouth. Seriously.

I've already had both of my CD towers denied because the wood doesn't match the wood in the rest of the living room.

Meanwhile the flower paintings remain in abundance.

Heath
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM

I've already had both of my CD towers denied because the wood doesn't match the wood in the rest of the living room.

I don't know if you have an IKEA store in the DC area - but they have CD towers that match most woods.

:bang:

vaticanplum
08-14-2006, 04:41 PM
This thread is hilarious. But also a little inspiring. I am moving in a couple of weeks, and my new apartment has a breakfast nook entirely paneled in dark wood. The apartment, location, and price are all great, but this room is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It also has no windows. The room looks like 1962 went there to die.

So rather than fight its ugliness (because its ugliness is so strong that nothing stands a chance against it), I had decided to go along with it and make it Kitsch Central. Pictures of birds, dart board, license plates, possibly a fake shotgun and maybe even an exotic beer can display. Let it be known that this is not my taste, but I feel that one should work with a room. Now I am even further inspired. I had never considered sports memorobilia because I've never been that into it. But man, would that be awesome. I'm going to decorate it with memorobilia from teams I don't give a crap about. Like hockey teams and college football and basketball -- basically everything but baseball.

Maybe I'll even start collecting bobbleheads :roll:

I'm seriously excited. Thanks guys!

(Also registerthis, your fiancee is right. There are plenty of nice CD towers in the world; there's no need for them to clash with your furniture. You could also get clementine and nectarine boxes from the produce section and paint them, they make great CD holders and then you can each paint certain ones to your liking and they're easily identifiable when you're looking for your own CDs. But don't break up because your significant other might do away with all the really cool ones you made. I'm just saying.)

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 05:13 PM

Dude, you need to stop it before it's too late. :) I say this in a friendly way, but the first year or so of marriage sets the tone for a lot of things. Pick your battles (naturally) but don't give in to everything. Your first place is not too small for some of your stuff. Part of the deal in marriage is that the woman has to put up with a few things she considers "tacky". :)

See, men get tricked into giving away too much early in the relationship, when the "rules" are being set. We do it to be nice, but they take advantage of it. Before you know it, your throne in the bathroom has a floral cover and all your stuff is given away, and you'll be wondering what happened, as you wipe with liliac paper :laugh:

registerthis
08-14-2006, 06:05 PM
(Also registerthis, your fiancee is right.)

...just don't tell her that. Don't need to add any fuel to that fire.

And she won't want nectarine boxes. She'll want to go "antiqueing" and spend the next 4 months searching for *that* cd case that would go well with everything else.

Whereas, my qualifications for a CD case are that it should a) hold CDs, and b) not fall over when you take a CD out of it. There's definitely a disconnect here.

George Foster
08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
There is a little card shop just down from the parking garage of the Westin Hotel. Last year I bought a brand new Johnny Bench poster, and a brand new 1976 team poster. They had been in his shop for 30 years!!!!! I bought them for 15 dollars apiece...amazing. I now have them framed and in the bed room of the 1st over all pick of the 2022 baseball amateur draft. He had all kinds of stuff in that shop. Well worth the trip. Go when the Reds are in town.

George Foster
08-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Here is another great way to have Reds stuff in your room.http://subs.timeinc.net/SI/coverstore/Main.jhtml

You can go back and order the cover to the Sports Ill. I never new the reds were on the cover so much in the 70's. Pete Rose was Sportsman of the year in 76. Go back and look at every page. Rose was on the cover alot. Don't forget Sabo's cover in 1990. Rose starts in 78. Go all the way to 1974.
Very cool covers. I will order some myself.:thumbup:

gonelong
08-15-2006, 12:09 AM
In other words, not too different from what we have already. :) I think I've appropriately put the fear of God in her, though. I told her that I plan on purchasing MLB EI next year, and if I don't have a place where I can watch it, it means watching all the Reds games in the living room, thus depriving her of Trading Spaces, Project Runway, Queer Eye and other assorted girl-TV. It also means she'll have to listen to my Rush albums. :evil:

My advice, purchase the EI package this year if you can. Things that are established going into the marriage are much easier to retain than anything new. Seriously. Try to go on a "first annual" dude weekend somewhere would probably be a good idea.

I agree with Redread, you had better carve out a few feet of space somewhere or you can forget having your own room in the next house. More often than not you have your dude stuff from your bachelor days and you want a ROOM FOR THAT STUFF? I think it insults them on some level and they instintively fight it. :runaway:

She found my dude handbook stashed behind the bookshelf last year and disposed of it. I'm working without a safety net right now. :eek:

GAH! My advice is either to dump her or to find some comfortable shoes. That way when you are holding her purse in the mall (I hear they are heavy) your feet won't hurt. ;)

I figured you must have lost it because if you had the manly-manual at your disposal you wouldn't be in this predicament.:scared:

GL

Johnny Footstool
08-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Here is another great way to have Reds stuff in your room.http://subs.timeinc.net/SI/coverstore/Main.jhtml

You can go back and order the cover to the Sports Ill. I never new the reds were on the cover so much in the 70's. Pete Rose was Sportsman of the year in 76. Go back and look at every page. Rose was on the cover alot. Don't forget Sabo's cover in 1990. Rose starts in 78. Go all the way to 1974.
Very cool covers. I will order some myself.:thumbup:

Dude, I'm soooo getting that Marge Schott "Red Menace" cover! Thanks for the link.

GAC
08-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm getting married next month, and unfortunately the place we're moving into is not going to have much space (such is the bane of purchasing real estate in D.C.). However, I have been promised that when we move into a larger place I am goign to get a room for myself, where I can store my sports memorabalia, music gear, computer, stereo, etc.

Unless you got that in writing..... that room is called the attic! :lol:

GAC
08-15-2006, 06:49 AM
GAC's got some nice stuff - I should know :D

Hey, Greg, you should have spent $$$$$$ on a basement.

Where we are at, you can't build a basement. The ground water table is too high. A majority of the houses around there do not have them because of flooding. Our home is actually situated on an underground stream. The pump is less then 60 ft down. We have excellent water pressure though.

When we were looking at homes in the area we viewed a few that did have basements. You could see where the water line was along the foundation walls when they flooded (pretty high)..... and the musky smell.

GAC
08-15-2006, 06:53 AM
My advice is to fight for a little space in the first place, no matter how small. Even if it's just a desk you can put your computer and stereo on, with a shelf over it for your bobbleheads or whatever. Surely, she can spare 4 feet of wall space for you.

That's all I'm getting

registerthis
08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
My advice, purchase the EI package this year if you can. Things that are established going into the marriage are much easier to retain than anything new. Seriously. Try to go on a "first annual" dude weekend somewhere would probably be a good idea.

I agree with Redread, you had better carve out a few feet of space somewhere or you can forget having your own room in the next house. More often than not you have your dude stuff from your bachelor days and you want a ROOM FOR THAT STUFF? I think it insults them on some level and they instintively fight it. :runaway:

I actually do have it this year...and I've heard a couple "Oh, you're planning on getting it next year, too?"

It's non-negotiable, though. She'll come around. I mean, she makes me watch enough of the Bravo channel.

registerthis
08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Unless you got that in writing..... that room is called the attic! :lol:

I'd actually be lucky if it isn't the storage shed in the back of the building...

IslandRed
08-15-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm lucky, I guess -- I have a home office, and as long as I'm earning the paycheck in that room she doesn't seem to care what I put in there. But I don't even have room to put out my collectibles right now what with all the random work-related stuff strung all over.

Ltlabner
08-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm lucky, I guess -- I have a home office, and as long as I'm earning the paycheck in that room she doesn't seem to care what I put in there. But I don't even have room to put out my collectibles right now what with all the random work-related stuff strung all over.

I'm in the exact same position; a home office which is totally my domain. It's a very odd mish-mash of office equipment, bearings information, aviation pictures and Reds stuff.

KittyDuran
08-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Johnny... I probably have your address somewhere, but can you shoot me a PM just in case? I might have some stuff you'd like in your space.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 12:41 PM
I bet Kitty is the kind of lady who would let you have some Reds stuff in the house.:beerme:

KittyDuran
08-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I bet Kitty is the kind of lady who would let you have some Reds stuff in the house.:beerme:Uh, no...;) I WOULD be the one with the Reds' room...!

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Uh, no...;) I WOULD be the one with the Reds' room...!

:beerme: