PDA

View Full Version : Lohse's contract status

Blitz Dorsey
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Is he arbitration eligible after this season, or a free agent? Hopefully it's the former because I think he's going to be a solid No. 4 pitcher for us the rest of this year and next. Definitely like that trade the best of the four deals that Krivsky made in July. I know Ward was 7-0 in Dayton, but he wasn't considered a top prospect coming into this season and probably didn't face good lineups in low-A ball.

If Lohse does go to arbitration, what are some guesses as to how much he will make in 2007? I know they would probably settle before actually going in front of the arbitrator, but in general what do you think this guy will be making next year? He's making $3.95 million this year, so I'm sure he will ask for $5 mil per season, but his stats don't really back it up. Maybe the Reds can get him back for around $4.5 for one year. Thoughts?

dougdirt
08-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Ward wasnt a top prospect becuase he had not pitched an inning yet in the minors.

Blitz Dorsey
08-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I still like the trade... and still didn't learn anything about Lohse's contract status.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
I believe this is his 6th year in the bigs. I am not sure but I believe he becomes a FA after this year because of this. But frankly I am not 100% positive on how all that works, somebody will know sooner or later for ya just keep checking back.

RedsManRick
08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Lohse is in his final year of eligibility and you don't have to give people raises in arbitration - in fact I think you can give them up to 15%. I wouldn't be surprised to see us decline arbitration and give him a 1 year deal 3 Mil deal with a 2nd year, 5 Mil option and a 1 Mil buyout or something along those lines.

An aside, on baseball reference, his #1 comp through Age 26 is Chris Carpenter who also struggled in his Age 27 year (and then turn in to an ace over the cource of the next 2 years...) Gotta love it.

mbgrayson
08-14-2006, 07:16 PM
A Twins web site reports as follows:
15-Feb-06: Lohse re-signed by the Minnesota Twins to a one-year contract.

He was arbitration eligible this past winter, and the ESPN web site reported that he ended up signing withthe Twins for a 2006 Salary of $3,950,000. They settled before arbitration.

Also, Zach Ward did indeed pitch this year in the minors. He was 7-0 at Single A Dayton, with a 2.29 ERA, with 114 innings pitched.

Blitz Dorsey
08-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah, he was saying Ward didn't pitch last year ('05) after I made the statement that he wasn't a "top prospect coming into the season." I knew he was a 2005 draft pick, but thought he must have played rookie ball in Billings or Sarasota. Must have signed too late.

RedsManRick, when you say Lohse is in his "final year of eligibility" do you mean he cannot become a free agent until AFTER the 2007 season? That would be perfect. We could either go to arbitration with him this winter, or sign a long-term deal. I like it. I am sure he will get bombed next start now that I am starting to like him. Ha.

RedsManRick
08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes, I'm 99% sure he isn't a free agent until after 2007. If you check his salary history, you'll see he did really make any money for the first time until 2005. I don't think he'll officially reach his 6 year point until sometime during the 2006 season, so this offseason he's still eligible. I could be wrong of course, but that would make the trade even more suspect.

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Here's what Cot's page says:

Kyle Lohse p
1 year/$3.95M (2006)

* acquired in trade 7/06
* re-signed 2/06, won arbitration ($3.95M-$3.4M)
* 1 year/$2.4M (2005), won arbitration 2/05 ($2.4M-$2.15M)
* 1 year/$0.395M (2004)
* 1 year/$0.33M (2003)
* 1 year/$0.215M (2002)
* ML service: 4.103

Blitz Dorsey
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like he will still be around next season (if the Reds still want him, which I'm sure they will).

Going to be really interesting to see how much he wants if he helps lead us to the playoffs with a strong finish. But that's a problem i want to have.

paulrichjr
08-14-2006, 11:00 PM
If this guy is still wanted by the end of September I will have to admit I was wrong about Krivs. I think he will come crashing down to reality. I get to see him pitch on Thursday (in person) so maybe I will change my mind then...

redssouth
08-15-2006, 01:28 AM
I only got to see him pitch on TV the one time... but if can repeat what he was doing against the Braves, keeping the ball down in the zone, throwing a tight slider. Working on the edges. If he can repeat that type of effort, he has really good stuff. He has late life on his fastball. And he seems to have a real strong arm. Hopefully he will earn a little raise with a solid stretch run. Hasnt the knock on him always been between the ears? Always had good stuff, but always seem to take a mental dump down his leg at the worst times?

Jpup
08-15-2006, 07:55 AM
I would rather not sign him for the money that he is going to command. He will certainly not be worth 4 million per, IMO.

Blitz Dorsey
08-15-2006, 09:22 PM
It might be a matter of what else is out there. Lohse for $4 mil or $4.5 mil doesn't sound like a great deal for the Reds, but it might be better than what else is available on the market. Hopefully he makes it a real easy decision to re-sign him with a strong finish in the pennant race.