PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce?

TOBTTReds
08-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Did I miss something. Is Jay Bruce out with an injury? If so, how long? Thanks.

OnBaseMachine
08-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Bruce bruised his right shoulder on August 11 while trying to make a diving catch. He'll probably be back soon. The rest could do him some good as he was starting to wear down due to never playing a full season of minor league baseball.

dougdirt
08-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Bruce, who is resting a bruised right shoulder — "It's fine, look," he said, windmilling his arm above his head. "I have full range of motion" — should return to the lineup this week. With the two outfielders hitting, that could be enough to propel the Dragons into the playoffs.

Thanks to Marc Katz at the DDN.

texasdave
08-15-2006, 09:28 AM
If one adheres to the baseball axiom - 'challenge thy hitters' - why hasn't Jay Bruce been advanced to Sarasota? Going by his numbers, he doesn't have anything left to prove at Dayton.

dougdirt
08-15-2006, 09:36 AM
They possible wanted Jay to stay aronud for the playoff push, and possibly dont want him anywhere near Sarasota. Joey Votto really struggled last year in Sarasota (of course he had the take the first strike thing also), and has flourished in Chattanooga. Jay has said he wants to make AA out of ST next year. Maybe that is their plan?

Doc. Scott
08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
That's what the Reds should be doing all along- pooling the best young hitters a year out of the draft at Dayton and the pitchers in that same category at Sarasota. If nothing else, it boosts trade value, and a good portion of the value of prospects is what you can get for them and not solely the prospect's chances to "make it".

princeton
08-15-2006, 12:45 PM
If one adheres to the baseball axiom - 'challenge thy hitters' - why hasn't Jay Bruce been advanced to Sarasota? Going by his numbers, he doesn't have anything left to prove at Dayton.

I am an axiom

RedsFanatic
08-15-2006, 12:53 PM
If Bruce continues to progress at his current rate, I would think that his second full season would be much like Homer's. Half in Sarasota, half in Chattanooga.

WrongVerb
08-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I am an axiom

Coddle thy pitchers, of course.

Doc. Scott
08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Bruce's absence isn't helping the Dragons' playoff push any. They're now 2.5 games out of the final spot with a couple of weeks left.

TOBTTReds
08-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Fine with me. I dont think those pitchers need playoffs.

RedsFanatic
08-18-2006, 12:36 AM
He didn't play again tonight. I would be fine if they just shut him down the rest of the year and push him hard next year.

Rojo
08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
He didn't play again tonight. I would be fine if they just shut him down the rest of the year and push him hard next year.

Not me. Unless he's hurt bad, make him play through the wall.

ochre
08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I am the Highway

RedsFanatic
08-18-2006, 11:13 PM
0-5 4 k's tonight, drops the BA to .297.

BoilerBC11
08-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Ehh, the golden sombrero...never wanna see that...

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Bruce has been in a huge slump recently, probably due to the fact that he has never played a full season of minor league baseball. Slump or no slump, you can't deny that Bruce had a monster season and proved himself as one of the top 50 (top 30 IMO) prospects in baseball.

bellhead
08-19-2006, 09:42 AM
After he takes a couple of weeks off after the season, Bruce has decisions to make. Should he go the Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns route of offseason training. Bass fishing, hunting, sleeping till noon, and being a playa. Show up at spring ball 30 lbs overweight looking like Hancock. Or should he follow plan B get a trainer, go play winter ball, sharpen his skillset, hit the gym and show up in the spring looky like the next Mantle or Williams. Cream spring training ball make the reporters ask Krisky whether Bruce will be the starting right fielder this year? I have high hopes for Bruce that he will follow plan B.

Rojo
08-21-2006, 01:31 AM
After he takes a couple of weeks off after the season, Bruce has decisions to make. Should he go the Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns route of offseason training. Bass fishing, hunting, sleeping till noon, and being a playa. Show up at spring ball 30 lbs overweight looking like Hancock. Or should he follow plan B get a trainer, go play winter ball, sharpen his skillset, hit the gym and show up in the spring looky like the next Mantle or Williams.

I'd go with plan A. Let's hope Jay's a better man.

TOBTTReds
08-21-2006, 05:19 PM
After he takes a couple of weeks off after the season, Bruce has decisions to make. Should he go the Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns route of offseason training. Bass fishing, hunting, sleeping till noon, and being a playa. Show up at spring ball 30 lbs overweight looking like Hancock. Or should he follow plan B get a trainer, go play winter ball, sharpen his skillset, hit the gym and show up in the spring looky like the next Mantle or Williams. Cream spring training ball make the reporters ask Krisky whether Bruce will be the starting right fielder this year? I have high hopes for Bruce that he will follow plan B.

I go with plan B until that last part.