PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Pitches and Maximum Pitch Speeds

Cyclone792
08-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Here's a pair of decent articles, one of which discusses tipping pitches, written Jackie MacMullan of The Boston Glove, and the other discusses the maximum speed of a pitched ball by a human, written by Sam Mellinger of The San Diego Union-Tribune.

Tipping Pitches - http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/15/telling_signs_can_tip_scales_on_mound/?page=1

Maximum Pitch Speeds - http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060807/news_lz1s7speedlim.html

RedsManRick
08-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Good stuff. I'm convinced that what we often refer to as "luck" is tied up in things like pitchers tipping, or hidden injuries. These guys are so on top of their physical skills, that you don't see wild variation in performance based solely on random chance. It must be fascinating to know the behind the scenes story on why a certain pitcher went from a #4 guy to an ace (Chris Carpenter) or why a guy like Bobby Abreu suddenly stops hitting for power.

TheBurn
08-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Dalkowski's terrible control he once lost a one-hitter 9-8 because he walked 17... :eek:

Rojo
08-15-2006, 08:25 PM
or why a guy like Bobby Abreu suddenly stops hitting for power.

(Cough, cough) Balco.

Team Clark
08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Tremendous article.

traderumor
08-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Maybe this is why baseball seems to be moving away from scouting by radar guns and focusing more on command and movement.

OK, TC, have you seen evidence of this? Oh, I hope so, I think this has played a big part in the downslide of the art of pitching.

Mario-Rijo
08-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Ok that does it, I want Krivsky to go out and hire Cito Gaston this offseason.:thumbup:

Team Clark
08-15-2006, 11:38 PM
OK, TC, have you seen evidence of this? Oh, I hope so, I think this has played a big part in the downslide of the art of pitching.

I do. I just wrote a lengthy piece on Bailey discussing how important command is. 92-95 MPH gives you an edge if you miss your spot. I'd rather have someone 88-91 with movement and good control. 3 pitches, good command and trust in your "stuff" is all I need. Being a former catcher I see and evaluate the game differently. I have caught two no hitters in which 1 the guy had "nothing" that game. I think he only struck out 1 or 2 batters in that game.