PDA

View Full Version : Andrew McCutchen promoted to AA: comparison to Jay Bruce?

dougdirt
08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
McCutchen was selected right before Jay was in the 1st round last year out of HS. He was playing in Low-A and was just promoted to AA Altoona. His numbers are below, compared to Jay Bruce

McCutchen
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
113 450 77 132 20 4 14 62 202 42 90 22 7 .358 .449 .293

Bruce
110 413 65 124 41 5 15 76 220 42 95 18 8 .367 .533 .300

The Pirates seem to be challenging McCutchen with the promotion, completely skipping Advanced A. Jay Bruce has better numbers across the board. Both are outfielders with all the tools you would want. Just find it interesting to see how other teams handle their players as opposed to how the Reds will handle a similar player.

guttle11
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
McCutchen was selected right before Jay was in the 1st round last year out of HS. He was playing in Low-A and was just promoted to AA Altoona. His numbers are below, compared to Jay Bruce

McCutchen
113 450 77 132 20 4 14 62 202 42 90 22 7 .358 .449 .293

Bruce
110 413 65 124 41 5 15 76 220 42 95 18 8 .367 .533 .300

The Pirates seem to be challenging McCutchen with the promotion, completely skipping Advanced A. Jay Bruce has better numbers across the board. Both are outfielders with all the tools you would want. Just find it interesting to see how other teams handle their players as opposed to how the Reds will handle a similar player.

The Pirates have a weak outfield except for Bay. If anything, they're pushing him along. The Reds have the luxury of a stable OF at the major league level, so there's no reason to rush Bruce and/or Stubbs. Let them develop at their own pace.

dougdirt
08-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Well there isnt a reason to rush Stubbs, he is struggling in rookie ball. Jay on the other hand is dominating the league he is in.

Joseph
08-15-2006, 09:28 PM
The Pirates have a weak outfield except for Bay. If anything, they're pushing him along. The Reds have the luxury of a stable OF at the major league level, so there's no reason to rush Bruce and/or Stubbs. Let them develop at their own pace.

You could look at it that way, but Griffey is an injury risk, and is Freel really a viable long term OFer? I'm not saying he isn't, but at the same time it could be said we need another OFer up here next year, or 08 just as badly as the Pirates might. I wouldn't mind seeing him at least close the year out in high A or even AA.

guttle11
08-15-2006, 09:31 PM
You could look at it that way, but Griffey is an injury risk, and is Freel really a viable long term OFer? I'm not saying he isn't, but at the same time it could be said we need another OFer up here next year, or 08 just as badly as the Pirates might. I wouldn't mind seeing him at least close the year out in high A or even AA.

I think a promotion to Sarasota would be good for him. Then, if he does well in a short stint there and has a good spring, it's on to Chattanooga.

IslandRed
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
If they haven't promoted him to Sarasota by now, they're probably not going to. The minor-league season is over in less than three weeks. If anything, they'd promote him to Chattanooga so he could play in the SL playoffs. But I expect they'll leave him where he is and then send him somewhere like the AFL or winter ball and have him ready to zoom up the ladder next year.

tbball10
08-16-2006, 12:10 AM

we also have denorfia, who i think can play in the majors... but i guess while we are paying griffey the big bucks, he's gonna play.

RedsFanatic
08-16-2006, 12:42 AM
I dont understand it. Even Delmon Young didn't go to double a in his first pro season. Bruce's numbers are better across the board except for SB. We have a star in the making.

dougdirt
08-16-2006, 12:51 AM
I dont understand it. Even Delmon Young didn't go to double a in his first pro season. Bruce's numbers are better across the board except for SB. We have a star in the making.
While thats true, this is Jays second season. At the same age and stage Jay is at now, Delmon Young was playing a full season in AA and AAA. Delmon was 18 his first year in A-ball, then at 19 he played at AA and AAA.

RedsFanatic
08-16-2006, 12:55 AM
guess i was wrong. i still don't understand why the pirates are pushing mclutcheon. they can't afford to screw him up, after bullington, van benschoten all failed. plus neil walker seems to have hit a wall this year. they need to make sure he fully develops, he won't be the difference between a last place team and a playoff squad in a few years.

dougdirt
08-16-2006, 01:18 AM
McCutchen doesnt really compare to the pitchers you named. An injury can end a pitchers career, that often doesnt happen for a position player. I think the rest of the season isnt anything that is major. I think he will probably start out there next year though if he does well while he is there.

flyer85
08-16-2006, 10:16 AM
IMHO, Jay staying in Dayton has more to do with that team trying to make the playoffs than anything else.

RedsFanatic
08-16-2006, 03:36 PM
MClutcheon is also almost a year older than Jay. He is only a few months younger than Homer.

dougdirt
08-16-2006, 03:40 PM
McCutchen is only 6 months older than Bruce, he is also 5 months younger than Homer Bailey is.

RedsFanatic
08-16-2006, 03:48 PM
:oops:

Caveat Emperor
08-16-2006, 05:16 PM
While thats true, this is Jays second season. At the same age and stage Jay is at now, Delmon Young was playing a full season in AA and AAA. Delmon was 18 his first year in A-ball, then at 19 he played at AA and AAA.

And we all saw firsthand how wonderfully mature Delmon Young was as he rushed through the system.

bellhead
08-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Hopefully Bruce will come to spring training next year, hit the ball good, and then put Krisky on a difficult spot. Krisky will want to move him to Sarasota next year, but hopefully Bruce will force him to start him in AA.

To do this If I am Bruce enter into a off season conditioning program. Maybe look at playing winter ball, and show up to spring training in top shape.

cincy jacket
08-21-2006, 10:06 PM
And we all saw firsthand how wonderfully mature Delmon Young was as he rushed through the system.

Punks like Delmon Young are going to find trouble no matter how fast or slow they are brought through the system. I don't know Jay Bruce from Adam when it comes to how mature he is but if his character is anywhere close to Young then he will find trouble in Dayton just as easy as he will in Chatanooga.

Caveat Emperor
08-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Punks like Delmon Young are going to find trouble no matter how fast or slow they are brought through the system. I don't know Jay Bruce from Adam when it comes to how mature he is but if his character is anywhere close to Young then he will find trouble in Dayton just as easy as he will in Chatanooga.

There's a fair amount of truth to that -- I'm not saying that Delmon Young would've never done what he did had he been held back a little, but what I am saying is that there is a mental/emotional development that occurs with these players as well as a physical maturation.

We talk about these 19 year old and 20 year old kids like they're just mini-ballplayers waiting until their peripherals dictate that they need to be called up to play in the majors. However, we forget too quickly that they ARE 19 year olds and prone to many of the same "lapses of judgment" that comes with youth and growing up. Some players may be physically ready to challenge the next level, but mentally they need some stability -- working with the same coaches, playing with the same players, etc. -- to get the most out of their game at the age they are at.

It's something worth considering. How much consideration should you give it? Your mileage may vary.