PDA

View Full Version : George Grande = Closet Cardinal Fan?

nmculbreth
08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I know George Grande likes to fawn over the opponent's players but his love for all things Cardinal is nauseating. He's got to be a charter member of the Jim Edmonds / David Eckstein fanclubs.

This post serves absolutely no purpose but it feels better to vent. The alternative would be to do this... :bang:

RedsFanBrooklyn
08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
The Cardinals love from opposing broadcasters and media types in general is pretty grotesque.

Akin to the love afforded Duke in college hoops ... warranted? Maybe. Overkill? Definitely.

Blitz Dorsey
08-15-2006, 10:00 PM
George acts like that with every team. He often gets more excited when the opponent does something. Or maybe it just seems that way to me because I'm ticked off. But I've noticed that many times. Just another reason why he's awful (reason No. 368).

Reason 369: Runner on 2nd, 1 out. Batter grounds out to second. George Grande: "LaRue grounds out, but does his job by advancing the runner to 3rd." Uh, no George. There are now 2 outs. Yes, there are many ways to score from third as opposed to second, but it's still not "getting the job done" when you ground out to second for the second out even if the runner advances. And Grande has done it like 10 times (at least) this year. You would think someone would correct him, or tell him to never say it again.

Joseph
08-15-2006, 10:03 PM
There is nothing 'closet' about it.

paintmered
08-15-2006, 10:35 PM

He's leading the "Cards fan pride" parade. :evil:

jocross
08-15-2006, 10:47 PM
The first time he calls Pujols "Prince Albert" the tv is off and Marty is on. Cast has to hear about this...it bothers me

cincrazy
08-15-2006, 10:49 PM
C'mon now, George Grande is one of the nicest guys around, and one hell of a baseball fan. I do think he tries a little too hard to be unbiased, but that's old school journalism in that sense. I also think that he goes overboard at times with opposing players, but the guy has a great rapport with every team in the game, so it's to be expected. I can't stand the Cardinals, and the sight of LaRussa, Pujols and the rest makes me want to get sick, but I respect the hell out of them, and I think that's where Grande is coming from. BUT, with that being said, I sure would like to see him be more of a homer. :D

dman
08-15-2006, 10:49 PM
The first time he calls Pujols "Prince Albert" the tv is off and Marty is on. Cast has to hear about this...it bothers me
Yeah he's Prince Albert alright. :evil:

cincrazy
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Edit: baseball "man," not baseball "fan." Although I'm sure he is a fan, that's not what I was trying to get at :)

westofyou
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
From 1991-92 he broadcast Cardinals baseball games before he joined the Reds TV team in 1993.

WMR
08-15-2006, 10:53 PM
George is out of the closet.

TeamBoone
08-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Good grief... why not just drop it already!

Topcat
08-15-2006, 11:17 PM

That wouldn't be Redszone then. Things need to be beaten to death and every one is a better manager or gm than the present regime ;)

FoReel
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I think he has "love affairs" with the opposing team's players because you start to run out of stuff, when you are commentating on the same team over and over.

cincrazy
08-15-2006, 11:39 PM
A broadcaster has different duties than just pure fans do. Of course he would like to see the team that he follows win, but his job is to also report news and information to the public, as well as call the game, so it's also important to develop solid relationships with other teams and other players. If Grande were to go on the air and be completely one sided towards the Reds, he would garner no respect, and therefore wouldn't have the "inside track" that is considered so important in his profession. I don't think he goes over the top all that often. Most of the time it's just stating the obvious. Now, when Welsh said tonight "don't pay attention to the recent stats, the Cards are still a heck of a ballclub," I think that was pushing it a bit. In one breath they'd talk about how they lost Walker, Sanders and how Mulder was hurt, and then the next minute they mention how they're the Cards, and we shouldn't forget it. Something has to give there...

marcshoe
08-15-2006, 11:40 PM
That wouldn't be Redszone then. Things need to be beaten to death and every one is a better manager or gm than the present regime ;)

The bad thing is that, since this has been talked about so much, I've been corrupted. I used to like Grande, but now I just notice all the things people say about him.

but no one forced me to open this thread, so I can't complain.

The Baumer
08-16-2006, 02:33 AM
At least he's not Steve Lyons, the most annoying, underhanded announcer this side of Steve Stone.

MaineRed
08-16-2006, 06:17 AM

:bang:

Why? Because they don't like George Grande!

If you want to play censor police and tell people they can't talk about things that have been talked about in the past, there are a few other threads you should go check out.

I see it said all the time, including to me on this board, you knew what the thread was about, but you still opened it. Nobody forced you to do this.

George Grande sucks and as long as he announces for the Reds, it is not going to get dropped.

Not sure why it is such a big deal if it isn't.

RedsFan75
08-16-2006, 08:52 AM
I would love for Krivisky, Cast, or others in the Front office to really see the fans viewpoint on this.

I have taken to the habit of when the Reds are playing the Cards, I just Mute. I'm out of the area so I can't easily get Marty and Steve so I instead watch the game in silence instead of hearing George fawn over the Cards.

flyer85
08-16-2006, 09:03 AM
I don't think George has ever been in the closet.

Rotater Cuff
08-16-2006, 09:23 AM
You can't fault a professional for where he's from, or where they used to work. If memory serves, Steve Stewart is also from the St. Louis area.
If he does indeed like the Cardinals, he is very subtle about it.

Grande has his faults, but he is probably as good as it gets for the market numbers the Cincinnati network provides.

Eric in IL
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes, Steve Stewart's parents are from St. Louis. By chance, I happened to meet Steve's mom and a Cards/Reds game in St. Louis back in June.

Walking just inside the stadium I saw a lady wearing a Reds shirt. When I told her I liked her shirt she said she had to switch allegiances since her son does radio for the Reds. So certainly Steve grew up a Cardinal fan but is much more professional in hiding it than George.

membengal
08-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Indeed. If by "closet", you actually mean "loud and proud", then yes, yes he is.

MaineRed
08-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Glad to see I lost rep points for defending the rights of other posters to post what they want, when they want, about the Reds.

I honestly cannnot believe that someone took rep points away because I can see where people are coming from. George Grande is the Reds announcer and people don't like him.

Sorry but the subject is going to come up as long as the guy is our announcer. I don't get what is wrong with saying that. Instead I lose rep points because someone feels this thread is negative and that I encouraged it.

Whatever. What goes around comes around.

nmculbreth
08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Glad to see I lost rep points for defending the rights of other posters to post what they want, when they want, about the Reds.

I honestly cannnot believe that someone took rep points away because I can see where people are coming from. George Grande is the Reds announcer and people don't like him.

Sorry but the subject is going to come up as long as the guy is our announcer. I don't get what is wrong with saying that. Instead I lose rep points because someone feels this thread is negative and that I encouraged it.

Whatever. What goes around comes around.

If it makes you feel any better I lost some too, evidently this topic has been covered ad nauseum and didn't deserve another thread. I wonder if the same train of thought applies to the three million threads on the trade and the countless Griffey / Narron / Dunn gripe threads.

On a semi-related note has anyone figured out how to sync the FSN broadcast with the the radio coverage? :)

RBA
08-16-2006, 02:46 PM
On a semi-related note has anyone figured out how to sync the FSN broadcast with the the radio coverage? :)

Buy a Tivo to slow it down in time to match the mlb radio audio stream or one of the free streams at thegamelive.com

jocross
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Buy a Tivo to slow it down in time to match the mlb radio audio stream or one of the free streams at thegamelive.com

I love that idea, RBA, put I guess i'm caught weird (but good) situation. I live downtown, damn near by the stadium, I can't get Time Warner Digital to match w/ the radio (as a lot of us have problems w/) but I can get the mlbradio to match up w/ the tivo, the only problem with that is if the Reds hit a HR I know b/c of the fireworks and ruins the whole thing! I guess you are asking yourself then why are you just not at the game? Well, most I do...but I also like opening my window and hearing the roar of the crowd from here. Kinda Special I guess...