PDA

View Full Version : Homer to make only 1 more start?

Willy
08-16-2006, 10:08 AM
HOMER UPDATE: As well as Homer Bailey has pitched, there's a possibility his season will be coming to an end shortly.

He has thrown 123 innings this year. That's near the limit the Reds want for a 20-year-old.

"We're cognizant of it," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "You've got to be careful about it. What you always want is 30 innings more than the year before."

Bailey threw 1032/3 innings at Single-A Dayton last year

Per Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060816/SPT04/608160362/1071

flyer85
08-16-2006, 10:15 AM
HOMER UPDATE: As well as Homer Bailey has pitched, there's a possibility his season will be coming to an end shortly.

He has thrown 123 innings this year. That's near the limit the Reds want for a 20-year-old.

"We're cognizant of it," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "You've got to be careful about it. What you always want is 30 innings more than the year before."

Bailey threw 1032/3 innings at Single-A Dayton last year

Per Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060816/SPT04/608160362/1071my guess earlier was that they would limit him to 150IP. Sounds like he might not get that many.

cincy09
08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
when do the playoffs start?

BRM
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
when do the playoffs start?

Does this mean he won't pitch in the AA playoffs?

dougdirt
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
That is what it sounds like.

My question is, if you only want them to throw 30 more innings than the previous year, isnt it about time to shut down Travis Wood?

He has already thrown 114 innings as a 19 year old and threw just 48.2 last year as a pro (I am sure he threw a chunk of innings as a high schooler last year).

icehole3
08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Im thinking theyre going to just shut down all the minor league pitchers and take their ball and go home. Really this makes no sense if his team is headed for the playoffs.

OSURedLeg
08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Im thinking theyre going to just shut down all the minor league pitchers and take their ball and go home. Really this makes no sense if his team is headed for the playoffs.

The fact is, his ORGANIZATION is the Cincinnati Reds, not the Chattanooga Lookouts, thus it makes plenty of sense if Wayne Krivsky is convinced from his previous experience that this is the best approach to take to preserve his arm. This way, he will hopefully maintain his health a couple of years from now when he's headed to the playoffs for the Cincinnati Reds. Personally, I'll sacrifice a Double A championship if it means he can compete someday for a World Series.

IslandRed
08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Really this makes no sense if his team is headed for the playoffs.

If they believe Bailey should only pitch X innings -- whatever X is -- then if reaching that threshold means he can't pitch in the Southern League playoffs, so be it. Getting Bailey to the big leagues effective and healthy is the point of the farm system. Getting Chattanooga a trophy isn't.

Kc61
08-16-2006, 02:58 PM
How about giving him two more starts, 5 innings each -- at Louisville. Give him a taste of AAA before shutting him down. AA playoffs then are out of the picture. Just a thought, but it might be a nice way to set up Bailey's 2007.

Matt700wlw
08-16-2006, 03:23 PM
This could end the debate on if we'll see him in a Reds uniform at all this season...

dougdirt
08-16-2006, 04:11 PM
This could end the debate on if we'll see him in a Reds uniform at all this season...
Hopefully.

MWM
08-16-2006, 10:26 PM

I don't think it was ever a real debate. It was never going to happen.

I like this thinking by Wayne. Smart.

Topcat
08-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Hopefully.

Doug not to bust on you. But did you notice the way Liriano was eased into the rotation in Minnesota? The most Valuable comodity in MLB is cheap young dominant pitchers. The Red's past performace is pathetic. I would let this kid do 2 maybe even 3 years more in the Minors. The determining factor on if I send him to the majors would be dictated by exactly how close the need would be to add him to make us world series contenders. Otherwise why even jeopardize thiis Future Phenom for a wildcard spot?

icehole3
08-17-2006, 06:30 AM
I can argue that pitching under playoff conditions would be part of development, it was a part of development back in the Big Red Machine days. I guess times have changed.

Willy
08-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Doug not to bust on you. But did you notice the way Liriano was eased into the rotation in Minnesota? The most Valuable comodity in MLB is cheap young dominant pitchers. The Red's past performace is pathetic. I would let this kid do 2 maybe even 3 years more in the Minors. The determining factor on if I send him to the majors would be dictated by exactly how close the need would be to add him to make us world series contenders. Otherwise why even jeopardize thiis Future Phenom for a wildcard spot?

I don't mean to speak for Doug, but I think he was saying he doesn't want Homer in the Majors this year.

dougdirt
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM

Topcat, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying hopefully it means people will quit saying "Bring him up already!". It starts to be annoying, especailly when I know he isnt ready, and I am the type that is argumenative and even I am tired of trying to tell people that he isnt ready. If they shut him down and pat him on the back and say "great season son. Go home to Texas, keep in shape and we will see you in spring" it will say me a little bit of hair from being ripped out from arguing with people.

Puffy
08-17-2006, 12:50 PM
If I were the GM I'd probably shut him down after another couple of starts. Then next year I start him back at Double A, if he dominates again then I'd promote him to Triple A rather quickly, and if it appears he is ready then I'd bring him up and plop him in the bullpen, a la Johan Santana. And I'd leave him there til he dominates, just like Santana and Liriano did. Don't put him in the rotation until he knows he can get out MLB hitters even without his best stuff.

lollipopcurve
08-17-2006, 01:17 PM
next year I start him back at Double A

I wouldn't. He has proven he can overmatch those teams. Keep challenging/rewarding him -- he seems to respond well to challenges. AAA.

Matt700wlw
08-17-2006, 02:23 PM
next year I start him back at Double A,

Been there, done that.

Invite him to ST and see if he has what it takes to make the big club...if not, send him to the little club (AAA).

Aronchis
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Depends where Homer's curve is at. If he has refined it and it throwing it for strikes regularly, he can move to AAA. Develope a 2 seamer as well.

Willy
08-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Depends where Homer's curve is at. If he has refined it and it throwing it for strikes regularly, he can move to AAA. Develope a 2 seamer as well.
This is exactly how the Reds should determine if Homer is ready to be promoted or not. He has proven he can dominate with his fastball, let's see him make progress with his secondary pitches before he moves up. He needs to work on his curve and change in AA, not the bullpen for the Reds.

westofyou
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Wayne Krivsky says he’ll shut down Homer Bailey because he doesn’t like to see increases of more than 30 innings year over year. I like this Krivsky guy more and more …

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5433&PHPSESSID=980ea9635a4e7baf33b1eb975413391b

dougdirt
08-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Well then what on earth is the explaination for whats going on with Travis Wood?

texasdave
08-18-2006, 10:00 PM
If this actually was Homer Bailey's last start it ended like this:5 2/3 IP 6 H 2 R 2 ER 3 BB 6 K. A two-out double accounting for both runs. A decent start.

Matt700wlw
08-18-2006, 10:03 PM
If this actually was Homer Bailey's last start it ended like this:5 2/3 IP 6 H 2 R 2 ER 3 BB 6 K. A two-out double accounting for both runs. A decent start.

Was that tonight?

OnBaseMachine
08-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes.

Matt700wlw
08-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes.

Thanks.

Aronchis
08-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Bailey will probably pitch around 150I's next year unless of injury, which happens to all pitchers time to time.

RedsIn07
08-19-2006, 12:12 AM
MiLB.com says he pitched a 4 2/3 innings.