I'm PUMPED!

Go Bucks!!!

Highlifeman21
08-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Take Texas

Give the points.

cumberlandreds
08-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Should be another dandy. I'm looking forward to it and I'm not a fan of either team.

beb30
08-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Texas lost their best player and OSU lost the biggest part of their defense. Troy Smith will have a big game and the OSU offense will probably win this one for OSU.

-Not biased and not an OSU fan

guttle11
08-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Look no further than the Starting QB's. Troy Smith and likely Colt McCoy.

OSU wins going away.

GridironGrace
08-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Yea i feel this is gonna be a blowout.......atleast a semi-blowout

PPL on TV picking Texas to win?????? lol

Guys... the Buckeyes are gonna have a defense regardless of what they lost last season.. not to mention the DL is one of the top DL's in the nation, and the DB's are very solid, and if they all stay around a few years have to potential to be the best Def. Backfiled in Buckeye history

justincredible
08-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Hook 'em Horns!

Texas wins this one 21-17

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
I hate OSU.

Having said that, I think this matchup is totally overhyped. OSU should win this game easily. Unfortunately, OSU will probably win this game by less than 3 points and everyone will shout National Championship! when the horn sounds.

Puffy
08-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I hate OSU.

Having said that, I think this matchup is totally overhyped. OSU should win this game easily. Unfortunately, OSU will probably win this game by less than 3 points and everyone will shout National Championship! when the horn sounds.

OSU fans are already shouting National Championship.

GridironGrace
08-16-2006, 05:07 PM

It's gonna be our year guys.. just face it :)

Fil3232
08-16-2006, 05:12 PM
I hate OSU.

Huh?

Texas returns 7 starters on both sides of the ball, including playmakers everywhere but QB. OSU, replacing 9 defensive starters and having to rely on the inconsistent Ginn as #1 WR make this game far from one-sided. Throw in a Texas-sized home field advantage and I like the Horns in this game.

registerthis
08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Yep, and just my luck OSU-UofT falls on my wedding day.

I've told my fiancee to make the vows quick, and to not expect to see much of me at the reception. :evil:

beb30
08-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I just dislike the fact that alot of people from Cincinnati claim OSU to be their team just b/c OSU is in Ohio......Columbus is not Cincinnati!

dieselman44
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Is there a law that states under no circumstanes must you like a team outside your native city?

Fil3232
08-16-2006, 06:03 PM
No, but in this case there should be

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I just dislike the fact that alot of people from Cincinnati claim OSU to be their team just b/c OSU is in Ohio......Columbus is not Cincinnati!

That doesn't bother me at all. I just dislike the obnoxiousness of it all. I understand that OSU is a very good football program. There's no need to cram it down my throat every Monday when I return for work as to "how dominant" they are. Being a sports fan in general, I watch the highlights, I see the plays, even for teams I could care less about. I don't need a 4 hour "in your face" session every Monday. OSU fans just assume that you care about what the Buckeyes did that weekend. I don't care and I don't want to hear about it.

dieselman44
08-16-2006, 06:07 PM
That doesn't bother me at all. I just dislike the obnoxiousness of it all. I understand that OSU is a very good football program. There's no need to cram it down my throat every Monday when I return for work as to "how dominant" they are. Being a sports fan in general, I watch the highlights, I see the plays, even for teams I could care less about. I don't need a 4 hour "in your face" session every Monday. OSU fans just assume that you care about what the Buckeyes did that weekend. I don't care and I don't want to hear about it.

Have you ever lived anywhere else? Its like that around every major college town.

paintmered
08-16-2006, 06:28 PM

I don't agree with that at all. Sure there are OSU fans in Cincy. But Cincy is a Notre Dame, UC and UK town. Cincy is probably the least OSU fanbase heavy city in the state.

max venable
08-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't agree with that at all. Sure there are OSU fans in Cincy. But Cincy is a Notre Dame, UC and UK town. Cincy is probably the least OSU fanbase heavy city in the state.
I grew up in Cincinnati. What paint said is absolutely true. Now that I live near Cleveland...I amazed at the difference. Cleveland has a HUGE Ohio State fan base. Cincy...not so much. And, interestingly, Cincy is a little closer to Columbus than Cleveland is.

Sabo Fan
08-17-2006, 12:00 AM

Bingo, exactly how I feel. I'm to the point where I am sick and tired of hearing people who have no actual connection to the Buckeyes (other than the fact that they live in Ohio), tell me that I'm out of my mind because I don't root for OSU. Their reasoning is that because I live in Ohio I should automatically eat, sleep, and breath OSU football. Sorry, but that's not how things go. I enjoy college football on the whole and don't have any strong ties to any program outside of my Miami Redhawks (alumni).

Unassisted
08-17-2006, 01:13 AM
OSU fans just assume that you care about what the Buckeyes did that weekend. I don't car e and I don't want to hear about it.
Then you know how this native Ohioan who lives in Texas feels about listening to the Dallas Cowboys lead every single local sportscast. :help:

I much prefer college football to the NFL. The only time we get any of that is on Saturdays or after the Cowboys report when we get to hear the latest smug wisecrack from Mack Brown. :bang:

I want to see the Buckeyes win this game by at least two touchdowns, just so I can watch Mack squirm during the postgame press conference while he explains the loss. :evil:

redsfan30
08-17-2006, 02:32 PM
23 days!

bucksfan
08-17-2006, 02:40 PM
From my limited experiences in Cincinnati in football season, it seems to me as if Ohio State barely exists. Obviously for me personally that is a negative, being an alum and fan and all. :) Honestly it did surprise me at first as I came from a small rural NW Ohio community and pretty much everyone there roots fervently for the Buckeyes. I kinda thought all Ohio was like that just based on my own limited (at the time) experiences. Then of course I attended Ohio State, only further fostering my limited view. Now, living in a "border town" with tsun, I see it a bit differently. However, I still am a shameless follower of my "home team" but I also understand everyone has their own favorites.

I dig OSU sports about as much as anyone, but would never cram it down anyone's throat who didn't care (besides wearing my school colors, etc).

We're gonna have a party for this one, just as we did last year. Hopefully the game will go a little differently.

beb30
08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm not saying that you can't root for OSU, I'm just saying there are too many people out there (a bunch of my friends) that claim OSU as their favorite team simply b/c they win and they are from Ohio. Instead of claiming the bearcats the true Cincinnati college football team as their own. But b/c the cats aren't necessarily a winning program they choose OSU.

dabvu2498
08-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Forget all this stuff. 73 days till this
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2005/10/28/2002590352.jpg

That would be the football game formerly known as the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

cincy jacket
08-18-2006, 12:45 AM
With all the talk about the defense replacing 9 starters and being the weak link to the team I think we are overlooking one big problem. We have been spoiled the last 4 years with excellent placekickers. I'm more nervous about an untested kicker playing in his first real game (northen illinois @home don't count) on the road in front of a sea of orange with a chance to win the game resting on his foot than I am about a freakishly athletic and talented defensive backfield. But I am glad that OSU has to worry about a kicker who may try one or two kicks to Texas who has to worry about an untested QB who has to handle the ball about 50 times that much. I think OSU wins this game going away, but the placekicking might be something they have to worry about come late in the season in a close, cold game where points are hard to come by.

lo ryder
08-18-2006, 01:47 AM
OSU doesnt replace, they reload

max venable
08-18-2006, 10:50 AM
espn.com story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview06/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2551593

Roy Tucker
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM

Now, now RL, I would imagine your co-workers know that you're a Michigan fan and that may have a little something to do with the excess of barking and woofing.

However, I'm an OSU grad and an OSU fan and there a lot of OSU fans that I'm ashamed of (come to think of it, I could say the same thing for the Reds). Most sports discussions these days are who can yell the loudest, bray when they're winning, and be the most threatening which isn't my style.

LoganBuck
08-18-2006, 12:59 PM
I still fume over the Ryan Hamby dropped TD against Texas last year.

That said. This is going to be a nailbiter. I say OSU, but I can easily see Texas winning. Probably a 20-17, or 13-10 kind of game.

bucksfan
08-18-2006, 01:09 PM
However, I'm an OSU grad and an OSU fan and there a lot of OSU fans that I'm ashamed of (come to think of it, I could say the same thing for the Reds). Most sports discussions these days are who can yell the loudest, bray when they're winning, and be the most threatening which isn't my style.

I agree, Roy. There are some absolutely horrible Buckeye fans out there, but I guess that just goes with the territory of having any kind of fanbase. I still remember sitting near someone at a game when the oft-maligned Steve Bellisari was the QB. This guy was just on him mercilessly (and not that it matters to me, but this was way before his infamous drinking incident) and it just totally ruined the game experience for me. My wife had to "verbally restrain" me a few times because I had had it up to here with the guy. I can only imagine how he would be towards the other team and their fans if this is how he treated one of his own. I honestly could not figure out why he came to the game or even bought an Ohio State shirt.

redsfan30
08-18-2006, 02:08 PM
22 days, by the way.

BuckWoody
08-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Now, now RL, I would imagine your co-workers know that you're a Michigan fan and that may have a little something to do with the excess of barking and woofing.

Aha! He left out that very important fact. ;) I'd assume that any Buckeye fan living and working in that state up north would have a very tough row to hoe as well...especially during the dreadful "Cooper Era".

Any team that has a long history of success, like OSU football, is going to attract a certain segment of fans who are going to be blowhards. They'll thump their chest and generally tie the success of the team to their own self-esteem. If that particular team was not successful, these types would not be fans of that team.

ThornWithin81
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
I still fume over the Ryan Hamby dropped TD against Texas last year.

That said. This is going to be a nailbiter. I say OSU, but I can easily see Texas winning. Probably a 20-17, or 13-10 kind of game.

I was with you until you predicted the score.

There's no way the latter score happens. OSU's offense is too strong to be held to 10-ish points. We'll see in a few weeks.

LoganBuck
08-19-2006, 12:33 AM
I was with you until you predicted the score.

There's no way the latter score happens. OSU's offense is too strong to be held to 10-ish points. We'll see in a few weeks.

Great defense beats great offense. Texas is very good on D. We shall see. Buckeye fans are too quick to dismiss Texas because of their QB situation. That defense has one heckuva lot of talent back.

redsfan30
08-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Three weeks from today.

max venable
08-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Bucks by two touchdowns. Let's revisit this thread three weeks from today and see if I'm right. I feel VERY confident about this one.

redsfan30
08-21-2006, 11:47 AM
19 days.

Caseyfan21
09-03-2006, 01:53 PM
We need to bump this bad boy up top again.

Less than one week until gametime.

Predictions? After watching the games yesterday, I think OSU will have their hands full. I'm thinking this will be an offensive shootout with OSU prevailing although it could go to Texas just as well with the OSU kicking game not being as good as years past.

Anyone going to the game?

I think (fingers crossed) I will be getting tickets this week for the game. If my friend is on the active roster for the game he gets two tickets and will give them to me. He played yesterday so here's hoping he has a good week at practice. My last day in Phoenix for the summer is Friday so if we get tickets we will have to start driving after work as it's about a 14 hr drive (plus time change) to Austin. I'm so pumped to find out I could possibly be going to the game.

LoganBuck
09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
The score will be something in the neighborhood of 31-24, the debate is who will score 31.

OnBaseMachine
09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Go Texas!

Texas wins 24-20.:D

max venable
09-03-2006, 06:54 PM
As unbiased as I can be (is that possible?) I really think the Bucks will hanlde Texas without too much of a problem.

36 - 21ish

OldRightHander
09-04-2006, 12:58 AM

And hopefully will still be shouting that when the season's over.

GAC
09-04-2006, 08:32 AM

I've told my fiancee to make the vows quick, and to not expect to see much of me at the reception. :evil:

I see we're gonna get the marriage off to a great start..... "Hey preach, can you hurry it up, it's almost kick-off time. Luv ya honey" :lol:

GAC
09-04-2006, 09:14 AM
It's gonna be an interesting game. As far as NT implications..... who knows? But the "experts" have to hype someone. ;)

All I know is that I, and the neighbors, will be parked in front of my 55" Sony watching that bad boy! :lol:

max venable
09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Why don't Texans use 911 in an emergency?
Because they can't find "eleven" on the phone dial.

How many Texans does it take to eat an armadillo?
Two. One to do the eating, and two to watch for cars.

How do you keep an UT student busy for a month?
Give him a package of M & M's and tell him to alphabetize them.

dabvu2498
09-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Why don't Texans use 911 in an emergency?
Because they can't find "eleven" on the phone dial.

How do you keep an UT student busy for a month?
Give him a package of M & M's and tell him to alphabetize them.

How do you get an Ohio State alum off your porch?

Pay him for your pizza.

Highlifeman21
09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Early line, Ohio State getting 2.5

What a joke, Texas will definitely cover that.

Texas by at least 10.

redsfan30
09-04-2006, 10:38 PM
This is a HUGE test for this new look Buckeye defense.

I'm nervous, but I think Jim Tressell will have the guys ready to play.

I think Ohio State wins, but possibly by the slimmest of margins.

gonelong
09-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Has Tressell lost twice in a row to any team since he has been at OSU? My nieghbor and I couldn't think of any.

GL

kyred14
09-05-2006, 04:06 AM
With Texas at home I'll take them by 7.

Should be a great game.

LoganBuck
09-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Has Tressell lost twice in a row to any team since he has been at OSU? My nieghbor and I couldn't think of any.

GL

Wisconsin, Barry Alvarez had his number.

RedFanAlways1966
09-05-2006, 09:12 AM
OSU 28 - Texas 24

:thumbup:

GAC
09-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Just heard on the news where Texas' top cornerback Tarell Brown was arrested on drug and weapons charges, along with two other players. Coach Mack Brown has yet to make a decision as to whether he will play or not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2573024

max venable
09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Coach Mack Brown has yet to make a decision as to whether he will play or not.

He'll play. Mac will spin it with the "innocent until proven guilty" angle.

It's the OSU game...dude will play.

RedFanAlways1966
09-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Just heard on the news where Texas' top cornerback Tarell Brown was arrested on drug and weapons charges, along with two other players. Coach Mack Brown has yet to make a decision as to whether he will play or not.

I am sure Mac will claim that an OSU grad who works for the Texas police planted it. Be just like him (stay classy, Mac!).

OSU once had a starting QB arrested for DUI before the Michigan game and he rode the pine for the big game and the bowl game that year. DUI, drugs, weapons... all bad. Classy coach vs. questionable coach... BIG DIFFERENCE.

Red Leader
09-05-2006, 12:12 PM
OSU once had a starting QB arrested for DUI before the Michigan game and he rode the pine for the big game and the bowl game that year. DUI, drugs, weapons... all bad. Classy coach vs. questionable coach... BIG DIFFERENCE.

The difference is that benching Bellisari for the Michigan game and the bowl game actually helped OSU. Bellisari sucked, and everyone knew it. They just didn't have the nads to bench him earlier in the season.

Unassisted
09-05-2006, 12:21 PM

My wife and I were invited to a wedding this Saturday. She'll be going, because the bride is one of her friends. I won't know anyone there, and since my wife won't begrudge me the choice of the game over the wedding, the choice not to go was an easy one for me.

Besides, someone has to stay home with the kids. :evil:

registerthis, I hope you are saving some $$$ thanks to all of the people who RSVP'ed out of the reception so they could watch the game. ;)

registerthis
09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
registerthis, I hope you are saving some $$$ thanks to all of the people who RSVP'ed out of the reception so they could watch the game. ;)

We actually enticed them to the reception by luring them with the images of the big screen TVs that will be in the adjoining bar. I might, er, pop over there a couple or ten times myself.

redsfan30
09-05-2006, 05:01 PM
As if this game needed any more intrique, Texas jumped over Notre Dame into the number two slot in the newest AP poll today.

Saturday night will now feature #1 vs. #2.

registerthis
09-05-2006, 05:31 PM

How do you know that a joke was written by an OSU fan?
Because they tell you that two plus one equals two.

;)

(I'm joking, BTW--proud OSU fan and alum here...)

registerthis
09-05-2006, 05:35 PM
As if this game needed any more intrique, Texas jumped over Notre Dame into the number two slot in the newest AP poll today.

<yawn>

This is why I detest the polls, and the fact that college football determines their champion through such idiotic means as the BCS. What did Texas and Notre Dame do last week to show that one deserved to move up in the poll, while one deserved to move down?

So Texas thumped the Sisters of the Blind, while Notre Dame narrowly beat a much better team. Whoo. Tells us nothing...

max venable
09-05-2006, 06:13 PM

That's what the media wanted. They've arranged it to heighten the hype. It'll be fun. Go Bucks!

BuckWoody
09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Looks like some of the Texas boys have gotten themselves in a spot of trouble and they'll sit this one out:

Texas' Brown won't play vs. Ohio St. following arrest
ESPN.com news services

Texas cornerback Tarell Brown, who was arrested and charged early Monday with misdemeanor drug and weapon charges, will not play in the No. 2 Longhorns' game this Saturday against top-ranked Ohio State, coach Mack Brown announced Tuesday.

Tyrell Gatewood, a backup junior linebacker and special teams player who was also charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession, will not play either, Brown said.

Brown's absence represents a huge blow to a defensive unit considered the Longhorns' strength this season. Brown was likely to draw the assignment of covering Buckeye wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., one of Ohio State's top playmakers.

The Longhorns could start junior Brandon Foster or sophomore Ryan Palmer. Foster has played in 22 games and Palmer in 10 last season. Neither has been a starter.

Brown was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon, a loaded 9 mm handgun, a Class A misdemeanor, and possession of under 2 ounces of marijuana, a Class B misdemeanor.

Gatewood and former Texas linebacker Aaron Harris were charged with the same drug misdemeanor.

The attorney for Brown and Gatewood said Monday that Gatewood legally purchased the gun earlier this year and that neither of them smoked the marijuana found in the car.

The gun charge carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $4,000 fine. The drug charge carries a maximum of 180 days in a jail and a $2,000 fine.

Brown and Gatewood were released on personal recognizance bond Monday afternoon and Harris was released later in the day.

According to the arrest affidavit filed by Travis County deputies, the three were in a car Harris was driving on Interstate 35 about 2:50 a.m. A deputy pulled the group over after watching the car weave erratically and nearly strike another car.

According to the report, Harris got out of the car when pulled over and Brown and Gatewood were asleep. Harris passed a field sobriety test but told the deputy he had been smoking marijuana and there was "some" in the car.

When deputies approached the vehicle they saw Brown, who was sitting in the back seat asleep, with his hand on a gun in his lap.

Under state law, a person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

The officers also reported finding a marijuana "blunt" under the front seat and charged all three with possession. Only Brown was charged with a weapons violation.

Attorney Jamie Balagia said Gatewood bought the gun at a store and left it in the car after going to a shooting range a couple weeks earlier.

Balagia said Brown picked up the gun only after it slid out from under the front seat and intended to bring it inside when the players got home.

"It was in his lap but he was not intentionally violating the law," Balagia said. "Tarell does nothing to suggest he's doing anything illegal or intentionally violating the law. I think what we have is a misunderstanding."

Balagia also said Brown and Gatewood underwent urine tests at school Monday to prove they didn't smoke the marijuana.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2574915

Unassisted
09-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Looks like some of the Texas boys have gotten themselves in a spot of trouble and they'll sit this one out:Nice to see that Mack has some principles. Two thoughts come to mind:

If Texas loses a close game, they'll point to this as the reason why. The Buckeyes need to win big to shut that door and shut up those whiners.

Mack will probably use this as part of the inspiration to get his team worked up for the game. It could be foolhardy to get too excited about this as the Longhorns have most of the week to practice the backups and work around it.

RedFanAlways1966
09-05-2006, 09:31 PM
The attorney for Brown and Gatewood said Monday... that neither of them smoked the marijuana found in the car.

Sure. We all know that non-smokers hang out with smokers at 3:00 am. Especially when no one was drinking. Hmmmmm... wonder what these college age guys were doing at 3:00 am? No bars s/b open... oh wait, they weren't drinking anyway. And we all know that two non-smokers always ride in a car with one smoker who was toking on a blunt while driving the car. I believe it... anyone got the Brooklyn Bridge for sale? I feel like buying it this month.

As a believer I think these two innocent guys should take a urine test. Prove to us, the NCAA and college football fans that you are definitely innocent. Your attorney says you are innocent, so test. There should be nothing to hide. You aren't potheads. Prove it and shut up those who will think you and your attorney are liars.

And don't worry. Even if you are liars (NAH!) there is always a job in the CFL for you. Right, Ricky?!?

kbrake
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Is anyone that schocked that a couple guys in college got busted with pot? Not sure what the big deal is. The weapons charge should be the one that keeps them out of college football for awhile.

GAC
09-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Is anyone that schocked that a couple guys in college got busted with pot? Not sure what the big deal is. The weapons charge should be the one that keeps them out of college football for awhile.

Anymore, not shocked. Just that they need to be held accountable when it happens.

The pot is no big deal to me; but the weapons?? Simply senseless.

RedFanAlways1966
09-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Is anyone that schocked that a couple guys in college got busted with pot? Not sure what the big deal is.

Well, let's see...

(1) It is against the law.
(2) It is against NCAA rules.
(3) People driving an automobile while under the influence of drugs can lead to the death of innocent people. I think this is illegal too.
(4) People doing drugs and playing around with guns is a lethal mix.
(5) They, as members of the Texas football team, represent their university. Now they have given their team and university a black-eye.

I guess I could go on. But if the above 5 aren't convincing enough, then why waste my time? I must state that it is a pretty big deal. If it is a college student caught smoking dope in his/her dorm room, then I agree with you. But is wasn't. It was 3 Texas football players caught in a moving auto.... right before the biggest game of the year for them. It is a big deal. Hence, the reason it is being discussed on RedsZone.

KronoRed
09-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Best breakdown on the game you will find.
http://www.rpongett.phpwebhosting.com/osupreview.html

Unassisted
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Best breakdown on the game you will find.
http://www.rpongett.phpwebhosting.com/osupreview.html
That was interesting, even when the level of detail was something only a coach could truly appreciate. Surprisingly even-handed, too, coming from a UT fan.

NDIrish9
09-07-2006, 10:40 AM

Highlifeman21
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Even with the UT DB out, OSU still only getting 2.5.

OSU has to go vertical to have any shot to win. Texas is a more complete team from last year to this year.

max venable
09-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Get lost. :rolleyes:

RedFanAlways1966
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Get lost. :rolleyes:

I'll 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th that. A monkey? Nice. Grow up.

ochre
09-07-2006, 11:50 AM
That was interesting, even when the level of detail was something only a coach could truly appreciate. Surprisingly even-handed, too, coming from a UT fan.
I think he vastly underestimates Wolfe. Wolfe has put up those numbers against any team they have played. Good big 10 teams included.

He also ignored the edge holding that occured all game in his "fighting through the blocks" comments. Those same holds that were called late in the game were happening all day.

redsfan30
09-07-2006, 11:56 AM

I'll 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th what has already been said.

The quicker you leave, the better.

kbrake
09-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, let's see...

(1) It is against the law.
(2) It is against NCAA rules.
(3) People driving an automobile while under the influence of drugs can lead to the death of innocent people. I think this is illegal too.
(4) People doing drugs and playing around with guns is a lethal mix.
(5) They, as members of the Texas football team, represent their university. Now they have given their team and university a black-eye.

I guess I could go on. But if the above 5 aren't convincing enough, then why waste my time? I must state that it is a pretty big deal. If it is a college student caught smoking dope in his/her dorm room, then I agree with you. But is wasn't. It was 3 Texas football players caught in a moving auto.... right before the biggest game of the year for them. It is a big deal. Hence, the reason it is being discussed on RedsZone.

Ok if we want to turn this into a debate about pot I would be more than happy to take it over to the other forum.

As for the game, I said last year that I thought OSU would win easy, so this year I will just say I think they will win and leave it at that.

RedFanAlways1966
09-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Ok if we want to turn this into a debate about pot I would be more than happy to take it over to the other forum.

As for the game, I said last year that I thought OSU would win easy, so this year I will just say I think they will win and leave it at that.

Not needed, kbrake. You stated no big deal. It is a big deal when you play football for a DI program that is ranked and get busted. If you are a key starter, then it is a big deal. I am not here to argue about college "kids" smoking reefer. I am stating that it is a big deal when you are a part of the football team.

I am rooting for the Bucks too. :)

kbrake
09-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Not needed, kbrake. You stated no big deal. It is a big deal when you play football for a DI program that is ranked and get busted. If you are a key starter, then it is a big deal. I am not here to argue about college "kids" smoking reefer. I am stating that it is a big deal when you are a part of the football team.

I am rooting for the Bucks too. :)

If only everything on Redszone could be handled like this, lol. :) Go Bucks.

redsfan30
09-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Well, the countdown kinda got abandoned.....but it's gameday!!!!

Go Bucks!

BuckeyeRed27
09-09-2006, 03:35 PM
O H

kbrake
09-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I O

max venable
09-09-2006, 05:16 PM
O - H

Matt700wlw
09-09-2006, 05:19 PM
It's game day, baby!

traderumor
09-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I-O

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2006, 05:42 PM
OT - Northwestern just got smoked by New Hampshire. Wow.

Chip R
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
OT - Northwestern just got smoked by New Hampshire. Wow.

Not that surprising. UNH is a premier 1-AA program. They have one of the best QB-WR combos in the country. Of course they lost in the playoffs at home last year. :D

BuckWoody
09-09-2006, 07:34 PM
<<clears throat>>

Please sing along:

In old Ohio there's a team
That's known throughout the land
Eleven warriors brave and bold,
Whose fame will ever stand.
And when the ball goes over,
Our cheers will reach the sky,
Ohio Field will hear again
The Buckeye Battle Cry!

Drive, Drive on down the field,
Men of the scarlet and gray;
Don't let them through that line,
We've got to win this game today,
COME ON OHIO!
Smash through to victory,
We cheer you as we go!
Our honor defend
we will fight to the end for
O! HI! O!

Go Bucks!!http://buckeyes.homestead.com/files/bcukleaf.gif

max venable
09-09-2006, 10:00 PM
7 - 0 Bucks after one quarter.

C'mon defense!

Go Bucks!

MWM
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Stupid FREAKING refs. An absolutely horrible pass interference call last year REALLY hurt the Bucs against Texas and now one of the worst personal fouls I've ever seen cost them 4 points. Im so pissed right now.

RedFanAlways1966
09-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I agree MWM... 5 calls to none is tough. Perfection by Texas (no holds, etc)? I guess.

Troy Smith... wow, what a half. Gonzalez too... and of course Ginn's big TD.

OSU's defense needs to buckle down on the run. GO BUCKS!

max venable
09-10-2006, 12:05 AM
HOW 'BOUT THEM BUCKEYES!!!

MWM
09-10-2006, 12:26 AM
WOW! What a convincing statement by OSU. I knew they'd struggle against the run, but I didn't realize they'd tackle so poorly. The good news is they won't face an O-Line as good as Texas' the rest of the season.

Troy Smith sure looked poised tonight. And I went on record a couple of months ago as saying I thought Gonzalez was going to have a huge year. He was under-rated last year and I think he's going to be a huge asset for the Bucks this year. If they can get by Iowa, they *should* go into Michigan undefeated. Michigan is going to have a good running game this year, so it's no gurantee they'll beat them.

This could be a fun season for Buckeye fans. Just pray they don't have a let down game. The only teams other than Michigan even capable of playing with them are Penn State, Iowa, and MAYBE Michigan State if Drew Stanton is playing. They got both MSU and Iowa on the road. If they play even close to their capabilities, they should win each of those games easily, although Drew Tate and Drew Stanton scare me a little. Colt McCoy was terrible, but those two guys can play and put up some numbers.

Jharb74
09-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Troy Smith for Heisman.
Tressel for President.

max venable
09-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Bucks by two touchdowns. Let's revisit this thread three weeks from today and see if I'm right. I feel VERY confident about this one.

Just tooting my own horn a bit. :D

Go Bucks!

guttle11
09-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Look no further than the Starting QB's. Troy Smith and likely Colt McCoy.

OSU wins going away.

Ahem.

WMR
09-10-2006, 01:12 AM
That was an old fashioned butt whoopin'.

Unassisted
09-10-2006, 01:14 AM
If they can get by Iowa, they *should* go into Michigan undefeated.
Iowa is well-respected, but I wonder if they're overrated since they nearly lost to Syracuse today. Syracuse hasn't been good in quite a while.

BuckWoody
09-10-2006, 01:15 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0909/ohio_state_m5_skirm2.jpg
:jump: :jump: :jump:

Unassisted
09-10-2006, 01:16 AM
If Texas loses a close game, they'll point to this as the reason why. The Buckeyes need to win big to shut that door and shut up those whiners.
I got my wish granted tonight, too. :dancingco

paintmered
09-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Iowa is well-respected, but I wonder if they're overrated since they nearly lost to Syracuse today. Syracuse hasn't been good in quite a while.

Tate, their starting QB didn't play today, so I wouldn't look into today's Syracuse game too much.

GAC
09-10-2006, 06:55 AM
That personal foul at the end of the half against OSU, inwhich Texas got their only score, really upset me. Purely bogus. Yeah, there was some incidental helmet contact, but anyone who saw the play could see the guy didn't put his head down and drive into the QB. Really a S-T-R-E-T-C-H of a call..... this is football refs!

Gonzalez? W-O-W!

Troy Smith shows such poise, and his passes were a thing of beauty to watch.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 11:41 AM
I have to admit the Buckeyes looked awfully good last night against Texas. A very impressive win. They should breeze on through the rest of their schedule en route to the National Championship game because the rest of the Big-10 looks terrible.

BuckWoody
09-10-2006, 11:54 AM
That personal foul at the end of the half against OSU, inwhich Texas got their only score, really upset me. Purely bogus. Yeah, there was some incidental helmet contact, but anyone who saw the play could see the guy didn't put his head down and drive into the QB. Really a S-T-R-E-T-C-H of a call..... this is football refs!

Gonzalez? W-O-W!

Troy Smith shows such poise, and his passes were a thing of beauty to watch.
A bad call, no doubt...but good teams overcome bad calls. That was exhibit #1 we saw that last night. I'm sure that young Colt is looking for a whirlpool somewhere this morning. He took a pounding last night.

MWM
09-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I have to admit the Buckeyes looked awfully good last night against Texas. A very impressive win. They should breeze on through the rest of their schedule en route to the National Championship game because the rest of the Big-10 looks terrible.

Terrible? A litte exaggeration (especially from a Pac-10 fan)? Iowa, with Drew Tate are an excellent team. Michigan might not be world beaters this year, but they will be tough for anyone to beat. Michigan State has one of the better offenses in the country and if Penn State's QB can start to mature this year, they are going to be VERY good. They have tons of talent. I know you've mentioned how much you don't like the Big 10 before, but to say the entire league except OSU is terrible, is purely hyperbole.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Terrible? A litte exaggeration (especially from a Pac-10 fan)? Iowa, with Drew Tate are an excellent team. Michigan might not be world beaters this year, but they will be tough for anyone to beat. Michigan State has one of the better offenses in the country and if Penn State's QB can start to mature this year, they are going to be VERY good. They have tons of talent. I know you've mentioned how much you don't like the Big 10 before, but to say the entire league except OSU is terrible, is purely hyperbole.

Northwestern got their butt kicked by New Hampshire. Michigan State struggled with Idaho and Eastern Michigan (first half). Penn State lost by 24 points yesterday. Iowa barely beat a terrible Syracuse team. Indians barely beat Ball freakin' State by one point. Illinois may be the worst team in college football. Minnesota got their butts kicked by one of those bad Pac-10 teams everyone wants to talk about. Purdue had to go into OT to beat Miami (OH). I'm sorry, but I would have to say the Big-10 has looked subpar to this point. But then again, no conferance is really sticking out so far.

MWM
09-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, and Florida State struggled with Troy. Good teams struggle with the cupcakes for a half all the time. Calling out MSU against Idaho is an example. Penn State lost to ND in their home opener, and they're probably the second best team in the country (much better than Tennessee). That team has loads of talent, but played horribly yesterday. If they get any improvement from they're QB, they will be good. Heck, if they played in the PAC-10, their only loss would be to USC. Talk about a horrible conference.

And Iowa didn't have Drew Tate, but you knew that. With him in the game they're a top 10 team. And Michigan has one of the best running backs in the country and a really good defense. The Big 10 has 4 legitimately good teams. That's 3 more than your PAC-10. The only conference that might be better is the SEC and maybe the ACC. OSU has to go into MSU and Iowa. That will be a tough test for anyone.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
USC
Cal
Arizona State
Oregon
UCLA

The Pac-10 has five legitimately good teams. I am willing to overlook some of those teams struggles since you're doing the same with the Big-10.

BTW, the ACC has looked pretty bad early on.

MWM
09-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Other than USC, I'll grant you UCLA. I think they could be real good becaue I think Ben Olsen is going to be an absolute stud. I think he wins the Heisman next year.

But Oregon, UCLA, and Cal I don't think will be worth much this season. Of the major conferences, the only one weaker than the Pac-10 is the Big 12, IMO. Actually, I think it's about time to stop considering the Big-12 a major conference (yes, I know one of theirs won the NC last year). Outside of Texas and Oklahoma, that conference is embarassing. There's a reason why they have an undefeated team every single year. Heck, I'll take the Mountain West over the Big-12 if you line them up top to bottom.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I'll take Oregon over UCLA, and IMO, Rudy Carpenter (ASU QB) is much better than Ben Olson. Carpenter, IIRC, led the nation is QB effieciency last year. He's the real deal.

Oregon has Oklahoma at home this Saturday. That should tell us how good Oregon is.

MWM
09-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Ben Olsen will be the best QB in the country next year (and one of the best THIS year). Just curiou how much you know about Olson? He was the best high school QB in the country when he first came out and now he's 22 years old and only a sophomore I believe. At the time he was recruited, he was the concensus #1 overall player in the country and now he's older and smarter (once upon a time I used to follow high school football recruiting very closely). He's going to be a #1 draft pick. You heard it here first.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Ben Olsen will be the best QB in the country next year (and one of the best THIS year). Just curiou how much you know about Olson? He was the best high school QB in the country when he first came out and now he's 22 years old and only a sophomore I believe. At the time he was recruited, he was the concensus #1 overall player in the country and now he's older and smarter (once upon a time I used to follow high school football recruiting very closely). He's going to be a #1 draft pick. You heard it here first.

I follow recruiting very very closely, so I know about Olson. He commited to BYU out of high school and went on a church mission for two years, and then after coming back he decided he no longer wanted to play for BYU. IIRC, he chose UCLA over CAL (second choice) and practically the whole country. I understand how great his potential is, but you're forgetting who his coach is. Karl Dorrell is a bad coach, and IMO, Olson won't realize his full potential under Dorrell.

He would win two Heisman's if he had attended Cal and played under QB guru Jeff Tedford.

Cedric
09-10-2006, 06:07 PM
The Pac 10 is a horrendous conference. They shouldn't be in this discussion.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 07:30 PM
The Pac 10 is a horrendous conference. They shouldn't be in this discussion.

Ask Michigan if Oregon is horrible. Ask Northwestern and Iowa if Arizona State is horrible. Ask Minnesota if Cal is horrible. UCLA whooped Northwestern last year too.

How come the Big-10 had a losing bowl record last year if they are so good?

Cedric
09-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Ask Michigan if Oregon is horrible. Ask Northwestern and Iowa if Arizona State is horrible. Ask Minnesota if Cal is horrible. UCLA whooped Northwestern last year too.

Look at the bowl contracts and come back to me.

The Big Ten has by far the hardest bowl games and usually the most travel. Sometimes even playing a USC home game.

RedFanAlways1966
09-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Ask Minnesota if Cal is horrible.

Ask Tennessee if Cal is horrible... I think we know their answer! :devil:

One year can be a HUGE difference in the college game. Like the NCAA basketball tourney, I never judge a conference based on postseason play. Actually I don't like to judge one conference vs. another! Just too many variables and different circumstances. However, comparing one team to another is fair game IMO.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Ask Tennessee if Cal is horrible... I think we know their answer! :devil:

One year can be a HUGE difference in the college game. Like the NCAA basketball tourney, I never judge a conference based on postseason play. Actually I don't like to judge one conference vs. another! Just too many variables and different circumstances. However, comparing one team to another is fair game IMO.

Cal has a very talented team, however, their QB is very young and had never played in an atmosphere like that. I expected them to get beat like they did. I expect that once Nate Longshore (Cal QB) puts it together then Cal will be a dangerous team. He played terrific against Minnesota and look what happened there.

MWM
09-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Yep, Cal will be fine once they get back to the Pac-10 schedule. And you're talking about the 2nd best Pac-10 team against one of the weaker Big 10 schools and using that to compare conferences. Dude, it's Minnesota. That's weak.

And you're having to reach clear back to 2003 to bring up the Michigan-Oregon game when Oregon won AT HOME (in one of the tougher environments to play in) by a whopping 4 points. The fact that you're brining up Minnesota and Northwestern and having to reach back 3 years for MIchigan - Oregon IN OREGON says a lot about the merits of the conferences. If it weren't for USC, that conference would be on par with the MAC.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
IIRC, Iowa won the Big-10 in 2004, right? Arizona State beat them 44-7 that year.

The Pac-10 sucks because the Ohio State homers say so. Ok. You win. I'm done with this thread.

MWM
09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
The PAC 10 sucks because pretty much everyone outside of PAC-10 fandom says so. It has nothing to do with Ohio State. Not sure how that got into the argument.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
To follow up on my last post of this thread, I just looked it up and Iowa was indeed the Big-10 champs in '04.

2004 Pac-10 third place team 44
2004 Big-10 Champs 7

Yeah, that Pac-10 sure does suck. Since the Pac-10 sucks so bad, I guess that means the Big-10 is division 2 caliber.

Enjoy discussing this topic, because I'm done.

LoganBuck
09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
2004 was a down year for Ohio State, Iowa throttled them at home. In what is now seen as the grow up game for Ohio State's young pups. Troy Smith took the helm then, and things have been very different since. Iowa was not a very good team. The year picked Iowa after they had been throttled by Michigan earlier. By the end of the year, they were the third best team in the conference behind Michigan and Ohio State. Michigan lost a classic to Texas, and OSU blasted OKlahoma State, in bowl games.

max venable
09-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I hate to pile on, OBM...but the Pac 10 is a weak conference. I get it that it's your team's conference and you gotta try to defend its honor...but really...reality check...top to bottom...it's weak. Sorry.

MWM
09-10-2006, 11:06 PM
LOL. Iowa losing one game to ASU TWO FREAKING YEARS AGO and that somehow invalidates the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

RedFanAlways1966
09-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Not that it matters, but I did an analysis on Super Bowl winning players and the number of SB rings by colleges winning players attended. It is updated through PITT's win earlier this year. Some individual players have more than one ring...

Big Ten: 235 rings.
PAC-10: 247 rings.

USC: 55 rings (#1 all colleges)
Penn St: 46 rings (#3)
UCLA: 43 rings (#4)
Mich: 37 rings (#7)
Mich. St.: 31 rings (tied #10 w/ FlorSt & BYU)
OSU: 30 rings (#13)
Wash: 28 rings (#17)
Purdue: 27 rings (#18)
Stanford: 26 rings (tied #19 w/ Okla)

In case you care :) :
UCincinnati: 9 rings (7 diff. guys, last-Andre Frazier, '05 Steelers)
Miami(OH): 2 rings (Ron Carpenter & Ben)
OhioU: 0 rings!
BGSU: 2 rings (Phil Villapiano & Charlie Williams)
Cent. St (OH): 3 rings (all won by Erik Williams, Dallas OT)
OSU: First-Matt Snell ('68, Jets) ; Last-Mike Vrabel ('04 Pats)
EastKent: 2 rings (Myron Guyton & Danny Copeland)
Kentucky: 11 rings (last-Marty Moore, '01 Pats)
Indiana: 8 rings (last-Antwaan Randle-El, '05 Steelers)
Louisville: 18 rings (last-Deion Branch, '04 Pats)

Cedric
09-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Good research. No surprise about the Cali schools. GREAT talent out there and such a large population.

Per capita the Ohio/Penn region is pretty darn impressive with the talent produced.

guttle11
09-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Cal has a very talented team, however, their QB is very young and had never played in an atmosphere like that. I expected them to get beat like they did. I expect that once Nate Longshore (Cal QB) puts it together then Cal will be a dangerous team. He played terrific against Minnesota and look what happened there.

*sigh*

Cal's a very dangerous blah, blah, blah. They haven't done anything. West Virginia would stop them, and they'd struggle greatly in the Big Ten.

I'm not going to make the argument that the Big Ten's great top to bottom, because it's not, but compare the top 3 teams year in and year out and the PAC 10 comes up short just about every time. The physicality of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin (this is a rebuilding year for them) would wear down any PAC 10 team not named USC. It would be resounding victory 9 times out of ten.

The Pac-10 sucks because the Ohio State homers say so. Ok. You win. I'm done with this thread.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

To follow up on my last post of this thread, I just looked it up and Iowa was indeed the Big-10 champs in '04.

2004 Pac-10 third place team 44
2004 Big-10 Champs 7

Yeah, that Pac-10 sure does suck. Since the Pac-10 sucks so bad, I guess that means the Big-10 is division 2 caliber.

Enjoy discussing this topic, because I'm done.

You neglected to mention the dominating 21-2 victory Iowa had over Arizona St. the year before, and that the game you were referring to was in Tempe.

But I won't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

smith288
09-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Take Texas

Give the points.
Not so much... ;)

dabvu2498
09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Stay classy Buckeye fans...

Fan violence mars Ohio State's big win over Texas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- An Ohio State University student accused of driving his car into three people, injuring them slightly, was among several people arrested during a raucous celebration of the No. 1-ranked Buckeyes' win over No. 2 Texas.

There were about 40 fires reported, with couches and mattresses set ablaze, in student neighborhoods Saturday night, said Columbus police Sgt. David Howson, whose department arrested about 17 people, five of them on arson charges. A trash bin also was set on fire, burning two nearby cars, he said.

Battalion Fire Chief Kevin O'Connor said he was treated for bumps and bruises after he and two others were struck by a car that came through a temporary command post set up in the driveway of a student union building.

The two others, Ohio State assistant vice president for student affairs Barbara Rich and her husband, were treated early Sunday at Ohio State University Medical Center for minor injuries.

The driver of the car, George Karadimas, 22, a student at the school, has been charged with vehicular assault, said Ohio State Assistant Chief Rick Amweg. He declined to comment on whether alcohol was involved.

Karadimas was being held in a Franklin County jail and is scheduled to appear in court Monday morning for an arraignment, said sheriff's deputy Travis Carter.

Most students haven't returned to campus because fall classes don't start until Sept. 20, Howson said. Still, police concentrated their patrols on the campus area last night.

"This happens on big games, so we were prepared for it," Howson said.

The 24-7 victory kept the Buckeyes (2-0) in perfect position for a run to a college football national title. Texas, which saw its 21-game winning streak snapped, is the defending national champion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2581868&type=story

redsfan30
09-11-2006, 03:21 PM
The reaction in Columbus is disappointing to hear because that hasn't been an issue for a number of years.

Ltlabner
09-11-2006, 03:21 PM

Maybe they are mad because they were told not to say "we won". ;)

OnBaseMachine
09-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Not that it matters, but I did an analysis on Super Bowl winning players and the number of SB rings by colleges winning players attended. It is updated through PITT's win earlier this year. Some individual players have more than one ring...

Big Ten: 235 rings.
PAC-10: 247 rings.

USC: 55 rings (#1 all colleges)
Penn St: 46 rings (#3)
UCLA: 43 rings (#4)
Mich: 37 rings (#7)
Mich. St.: 31 rings (tied #10 w/ FlorSt & BYU)
OSU: 30 rings (#13)
Wash: 28 rings (#17)
Purdue: 27 rings (#18)
Stanford: 26 rings (tied #19 w/ Okla)

In case you care :) :
UCincinnati: 9 rings (7 diff. guys, last-Andre Frazier, '05 Steelers)
Miami(OH): 2 rings (Ron Carpenter & Ben)
OhioU: 0 rings!
BGSU: 2 rings (Phil Villapiano & Charlie Williams)
Cent. St (OH): 3 rings (all won by Erik Williams, Dallas OT)
OSU: First-Matt Snell ('68, Jets) ; Last-Mike Vrabel ('04 Pats)
EastKent: 2 rings (Myron Guyton & Danny Copeland)
Kentucky: 11 rings (last-Marty Moore, '01 Pats)
Indiana: 8 rings (last-Antwaan Randle-El, '05 Steelers)
Louisville: 18 rings (last-Deion Branch, '04 Pats)

Good post, but the Pac-10 sucks, remember?

max venable
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Good post, but the Pac-10 sucks, remember?

No, no...they don't suck...not by a long shot...they're just weak compared to the other power conferences...THIS YEAR.

bucksfan
09-12-2006, 01:09 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2581868&type=story

I agree that that sort of "celebration" (if that is what they truly are trying to do) is completely stupid, juvenile, and idiotic behavior. Just know that there are a bunch of great (in your words "classy") Buckeye fans also.