PDA

View Full Version : Yankees break ground on new stadium

Chip R
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-newyankeestadium&prov=ap&type=lgns

Yankees break ground on new $1 billion stadium
By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- The
New York Yankees and politicians broke ground Wednesday on a billion-dollar stadium project across the street from The House That Ruth Built.

In front of a huge rendering of the new Yankee Stadium, team owner George Steinbrenner, Gov. George Pataki, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and others donned Yankees hard hats and plunged shovels into some loosened dirt.

Hall of Famer Yogi Berra, superfan Billy Crystal and dozens of politicians and team officials watched from a small grandstand. Pataki said fans "will be entering an icon" when they come to Yankee games starting in 2009, just as he did when he first visited Yankee Stadium 50 years ago.

Yankees president Randy Levine called the project "the continuation of a great legacy." Mayor Michael Bloomberg said it would "symbolize the resurgence of the South Bronx."

During 90 minutes of speeches, only Steinbrenner, who complained of the heat, was brief.

"It's a pleasure to give this to you people," he said. "Enjoy the new stadium. I hope it's wonderful."

The ceremony came a day after a state Supreme Court judge denied opponents a temporary restraining order that would have blocked construction. He found there was no legal bar to cutting down trees to permit a project that benefits the city and the community.

The 53,000-seat, open-air ballpark will replace one of the most famous sports arenas in the world, home to the Yankees since 1923, when it was christened with a Babe Ruth home run on opening day.

The existing stadium, though renovated in the 1970s, is the third-oldest ballpark in the major leagues, trailing only Boston's Fenway Park (1912) and Chicago's Wrigley Field (1914).

The city and state are contributing more than $200 million to the project, including infrastructure improvements. The Yankees will pay the rest, financed through both taxable and tax-exempt bonds.

Until a dozen years ago, team owner George Steinbrenner had denigrated the neighborhood as dangerous and threatened to move the team to Manhattan or northern New Jersey. But the Yankees expect to draw more than 4 million fans to the stadium this year, making it the eighth consecutive season topping 3 million.

The new stadium will have fewer seats than the current capacity of 57,478, but more luxury boxes.

Construction of the new stadium will involve paving over large portions of nearby Macombs Dam Park and Mullaly Park, and cutting down about 400 mature oak trees. The Yankees are to offset the loss of the parks by building new parkland including three ballfields at the site of the current Yankee Stadium.

Bloomberg and most of the city's elected officials are solidly behind the new stadium. Backers say the project will create an estimated 3,600 construction jobs and 900 permanent jobs.

But the plan met with opposition from some South Bronx neighbors and from parks advocates.

Geoffrey Croft, president of New York City Parks Advocates, said the stadium foes would appeal Tuesday's ruling and file a federal lawsuit. "The Yankees were never required to consider practical alternatives to the taking of park land," Croft said.

princeton
08-16-2006, 01:32 PM
once complete, the new stadium will give them a chance to compete economically with the remaining teams in baseball

Moosie52
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
:laugh:
once complete, the new stadium will give them a chance to compete economically with the remaining teams in baseball

:laugh:

Blimpie
08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Will it be known as the house that the OTHER George built?

BCubb2003
08-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I apologize for the small part I will play in paying for the stadium, but they're making me do it.

Also, it's worth noting that the Yankees will be paying for it out of their revenue sharing check.

CrackerJack
08-16-2006, 01:51 PM

Hehe, or add yet another $100 million to their payroll and allow them to buy up or trade for every remaining worthwhile player on the market.

But hey, we get to watch Clayton, Schoenweis, Cormier, Castro, and a host of other guys who know how to play the game the right way, in a division full of sub-500 type teams with one or two stars each.

TeamBoone
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
The city and state are contributing more than $200 million to the project, including infrastructure improvements.

Oh, I bet the waaaaaaaaay upstaters in NY are so happy to see their hard-earned tax dollars spent this way. They already feel it takes the entire state to support NYC... and now for a sports arena.

Reds4Life
08-16-2006, 02:30 PM
What happens to the current Yankee Stadium?

I hope they aren't going to tear it down, way too much history has happened there to just destroy it.

vaticanplum
08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh, I bet the waaaaaaaaay upstaters in NY are so happy to see their hard-earned tax dollars spent this way. They already feel it takes the entire state to support NYC... and now for a sports arena.

I am not sure where that came from. I've been following this pretty closely and that is the first I have ever heard of the state giving money to the project. The figures I have are that New York City is giving roughly $138 million to the parkland surrounding the ballpark and $70 million (of a $320 million total) for badly needed Bronx parking. The city is giving no money to the new stadium itself; that $138 million does cover part of the cost of the demolishment of the current stadium and its conversion into public space (they will be using it for parks and high school baseball fields, which I think is really cool).

The Yankees are paying the $800 million for the new stadium and the rest of the related costs entirely themselves, privately and through city-issued bonds. Now, I have been told that there are "hidden costs" to the taxpayers somewhere, though I have yet to have anybody explain to me what and where these costs are. But even if that's true, those would be to the citydwellers I think, not the state of New York. I don't know what that is referring to.

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
The best thing that could happen out of all of this is that they find Jimmy Hoffa.

vaticanplum
08-16-2006, 02:37 PM

I hope they aren't going to tear it down, way too much history has happened there to just destroy it.

Mostly parkland, including four baseball fields. I believe they are keeping part of the lower level of the seats intact for the kids who play there. Many of the distinguishing features of the stadium are being moved, including Monument Park, obviously. In the new stadium, they are reincorporating the original frieze that was destroyed in the 70s.

NJReds
08-16-2006, 02:39 PM
But hey, we get to watch Clayton, Schoenweis, Cormier, Castro, and a host of other guys who know how to play the game the right way, in a division full of sub-500 type teams with one or two stars each.

No, they'll have enough extra dough to sign Castro and Clayton away. Not to play them, just to make Wayne cry.

westofyou
08-16-2006, 02:43 PM

They got it covered.

http://www.cool-movie-trivia.com/images/Snake1.jpg

When the Houston franchise (then the Colt 45's ) had their ground breaking on 1-3-1962 they decided to eschew the shovel and instead broke the earth by firing some Colt 45 shells into the ground to break the dirt.

Tony Cloninger
08-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Maybe the Yankee magic will disappear once they move out of the "original" House that Ruth built.

Of course....you can make a lot magic when you are able to outspend everyone....to the point of putting in waiver claims and actually purchasing players just to sit on the bench....so as long as Boston or any other contending AL team does not get them.

registerthis
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM

Some enterprising developer should work out a way to turn it into a mixed-use museum development of sorts. I can't believe that it'd be torn down.

Reds4Life
08-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Some enterprising developer should work out a way to turn it into a mixed-use museum development of sorts. I can't believe that it'd be torn down.

I was thinking museum too, or perhaps use it to display some stuff from Cooperstown. Getting rid of it would be such a waste of the history of baseball. :(

Roy Tucker
08-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Discussed previously in RZ...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36473

vaticanplum
08-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I was thinking museum too, or perhaps use it to display some stuff from Cooperstown. Getting rid of it would be such a waste of the history of baseball. :(

I felt this way at first. I did not want them to move at all, but rather rebuild the new stadium. It seemed criminal to me to move away from the spot where all the greats played, especially when the "hallowed ground" and "ghosts of the stadium" are such a big part of the way people feel about Yankee Stadium, and also considering I'm actually not a big fan of the retro ballpark craze. Even though it's not the oldest ballpark, there's not really a major league stadium in existence with more history to it.

But I've come around. First of all, much as I love the stadium as it is now, it's not really the same stadium that Babe Ruth et al. played in. It's essentially a 70s ballpark in a very old shell; it was almost totally redone during the renovation three decades ago. And as far as them tearing it down and not keeping it as a museum or anything, I actually really like that. It's going to serve largely inner-city kids and help aid the revitalization effort of the Bronx -- in short, directly help the area where it's located rather than serve as yet another tourist attraction for moneyed out-of-towners while leaving the residents with nothing (though I'm sure there will still be plenty of tourists just stopping by to see the ground too, especially since it's down the street from New Yankee Stadium). There is plenty of history around; Cooperstown is not far from the city, and Monument Park and, I'm sure, many other nods to the historic Yankees will be hanging around the new stadium -- which will look much more like the original Yankee Stadium anyway. I like the statement: our history isn't buried and revered; it's helping build the future. There's been plenty of criticism over time that the Yankees rely too much on their history ("aura and mystique" come to mind). So they decided not to canonize the land, but to put it to good use.

How awesome would it be to be an underprivileged kid from the Bronx who gets to play his high school games in the exact same place that all the great Yankees did? That's where history serves us best, I think.

The only thing about which I am adamant is that they keep the name Yankee Stadium. I've heard nothing to the contrary, and I believe that Steinbrenner, for all his faults, has enough respect (and money) for this kind of thing not to sell out the naming rights. But I don't believe the name has been confirmed.

BrooklynRedz
08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
How awesome would it be to be an underprivileged kid from the Bronx who gets to play his high school games in the exact same place that all the great Yankees did? That's where history serves us best, I think.

Pretty sweet...until s/he goes home to a single-parent family without enough dinner on the table and certainly not enough money to pay to see the gracious Yanks in person. Then it probably sucks pretty hard. But, hey, at least they have a whopping four fields to play on across the street.

$800 million is a lot of text books, free lunches, upgraded school facilities, improved teachers pay, etc. Forgive me if I seem a tad cranky, but the fact that either the Mets or Yankees are bleeding even MORE money from the city/state is a crime and every politician who signed off on the deal should be shot at point-blank range. As a former teacher, I can't think of a bigger waste of tax revenues.

Chip R
08-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Good points, vp. Not to sound cynical but I could see them tying in some sort of naming rights to it while keeping
the name "Yankee Stadium". Something like "Insert corporation name here Field at Yankee Stadium". I cannot see Steinbrenner letting a possible revenue gold mine slip out of his hands.

Redny
08-16-2006, 07:17 PM

Yup I, for one, am thrilled to be contributing.:thumbdown

paintmered
08-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Good points, vp. Not to sound cynical but I could see them tying in some sort of naming rights to it while keeping
the name "Yankee Stadium". Something like "Insert corporation name here Field at Yankee Stadium". I cannot see Steinbrenner letting a possible revenue gold mine slip out of his hands.

Welcome to the Chase Field at Yankee Stadium as the Yankees take on the Devil Rays in the first of a three game series.....

:help:

Ltlabner
08-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Wassau Stadium at Yankee Field ?

1-800-Safe Auto Field at Yankee Stadium?

Check-Into-Cash Field at Yankee Stadium?

Preperation-H Field at Yankee Stadium?

vaticanplum
08-16-2006, 07:28 PM
$800 million is a lot of text books, free lunches, upgraded school facilities, improved teachers pay, etc. Forgive me if I seem a tad cranky, but the fact that either the Mets or Yankees are bleeding even MORE money from the city/state is a crime and every politician who signed off on the deal should be shot at point-blank range. As a former teacher, I can't think of a bigger waste of tax revenues.

No, of course those are excellent points. I think that there is something to be said for keeping kids busy with sports and other activities and the purpose that will serve to better their lives in the long run when they might otherwise be running the streets or sitting in a sad home, but the impact of cold hard cash cannot be denied.

Brooklyn, maybe you know -- as I mentioned before, people have told me that there are hidden costs to taxpayers in this deal, but no one has pointed out to me what they are. Do you know what they mean? I know that the Yankees got some of their bonds tax-exempt, but being financially idiotic myself, I don't know exactly how much money that refers to or what kind of effect it has.

Cyclone792
08-16-2006, 07:50 PM

Hmmm ... since I've never been to Yankee Stadium, it looks like I might have to make a point to try to get to New York and visit the place before the Yanks move into a new stadium. I drove up to Detroit two separate times to see games in Tiger Stadium before the Tigers moved out of there, and I'm darn glad I did.

Of course, Detroit is far easier to plan a quick weekend trip to from Cincy than any kind of trip to NYC. Oh well, a trip to NYC and Yankee Stadium next season or in 2008 is something to toss on the schedule.

Ya know, if I ever won the lottery, one of the things I'd do is take about a three month trip one summer and visit every single MLB stadium during one big roadtrip.

westofyou
08-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Ya know, if I ever won the lottery, one of the things I'd do is take about a three month trip one summer and visit every single MLB stadium during one big roadtrip.

I have a friend whose brother works in the film business, and he does alot of traveling, anyway his dream is to do every park, today I got this email about how's he finishing it up. (forgive the chicken scratch)

He has been to all of them except Minnesota, texas, pittsburgh and tampa bay. He went to Minneapolis last weekend and took in a game, then He flew to dallas and saw a rangers game at arlington, then to houston where he hooked up with one of his college buddies and he went to a game at minute maid...He just flew to Pittsburgh and is going to Pnc park tomorrow, then He is flying to tampa for some devil rays games. then back to LA.

Then he'll be finished.

Matt700wlw
08-16-2006, 08:02 PM

I was thinking that too....

They should make it a museum/HOF type of thing on the inside areas, and allow the fans to go onto the field in tour-like fashion when the weather is nice.

Cyclone792
08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I have a friend whose brother works in the film business, and he does alot of traveling, anyway his dream is to do every park, today I got this email about how's he finishing it up. (forgive the chicken scratch)

Then he'll be finished.

Sounds like I should get into the film business!

That's fantastic, though, and I wish I could set out on an adventure like that. I've been to nine parks, four that no longer exist, and that's been over a period of seven years. Nine parks in seven years just isn't enough ... I'd like to add about 25 more to that list.

Reds Nd2
08-16-2006, 08:20 PM

Then why hasn't he sold the naming rights to his current stadium? :confused:

westofyou
08-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Sounds like I should get into the film business!

I'd say nah... from experience.

Chip R
08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Then why hasn't he sold the naming rights to his current stadium? :confused:

Maybe its not his to sell.

NJReds
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM

They were talking about this on NY sports radio tonight. ESPN Radio host (and YES Network announcer) Michael Kay said he'd sell the naming rights for the stadium in a heartbeat. But in his discussions with the Yankees ownership group, they are steadfast in their decision not to sell the naming rights. It will stay Yankee Stadium.

Reds Nd2
08-16-2006, 11:46 PM

I could have sworn I read today that the Yankees owned the current stadium, but the city paid for the maintenance. The same article said the Yankees would both own and pay for the maintenance of the new stadium. Sadly enough, when I searched tonight, I couldn't find that article anywhere. I did find this from BuisnessWeek archives circa 1998 (http://www.businessweek.com/1998/39/b3597106.htm) though. All I can say at this point is, I don't know if the Boss would sell the naming rights to the new stadium given the chance. I hope he wouldn't.

At the same time, Steinbrenner is grappling with the financially critical and politically loaded issue of where the Yankees will play after their Yankee Stadium lease expires in 2002. (The team holds options that could extend the lease to 2012.)

Chip R
08-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. It would probably be a little too dicey PR wise to get naming rights to the current Yankee Stadium. It is such a venerable old stadium it would be akin to putting lipstick on the Mona Lisa. Maybe they just do not want to sell naming rights when they only have a year or two left in the old place. :dunno: I am sure they are sincere in them saying that they will not sell naming rights to the New Yankee Stadium but cynical old me thinks that they might sell naming rights the park around the stadium. So it would be Yankee Stadium in Whatever Park.

vaticanplum
08-17-2006, 12:23 AM
I could have sworn I read today that the Yankees owned the current stadium, but the city paid for the maintenance. The same article said the Yankees would both own and pay for the maintenance of the new stadium

You're standing on the right road, you're just half turned around :) The Yankees pay rent to the city for the current stadium, but deduct the maintenance costs (so yes the city does pay for maintenance). You are correct about the new stadium, they will pay no rent, but will be responsible for maintenance (since they will own it).

BCubb2003
08-17-2006, 02:24 AM
"Snapple Presents Baby Ruth Field at New Yankee Stadium"

REDREAD
08-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Welcome to the Chase Field at Yankee Stadium as the Yankees take on the Devil Rays in the first of a three game series.....

:help:

Well, since we are now called the Cincinnati Bell Reds on the radio, I don't think we can throw stones. :(

Jpup
08-17-2006, 03:54 AM
it's amazing to me, the hatred for such a storied franchise. I don't get it.:dunno: They are playing by the rules.

Reds Nd2
08-17-2006, 04:45 AM
You're standing on the right road, you're just half turned around :) The Yankees pay rent to the city for the current stadium, but deduct the maintenance costs (so yes the city does pay for maintenance). You are correct about the new stadium, they will pay no rent, but will be responsible for maintenance (since they will own it).

That's nothing new. I'm usually 180 degrees away from where I need to be. :) Do you think Steinbrenner will sell the naming rights to the new stadium?

Ltlabner
08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Well, since we are now called the Cincinnati Bell Reds on the radio, I don't think we can throw stones. :(

Actually, it's the Cincinnati Bell Reds Radio Network. Which means they are sponsoring the radio network, not the team.

oneupper
08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Saw my first ML game in Yankee stadium in 1972.
Excitement aside, the place was a dump.

Blimpie
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Saw my first ML game in Yankee stadium in 1972.
Excitement aside, the place was a dump.I think they have undergone at least one major renovation since then...

chicoruiz
08-17-2006, 11:12 AM

From what I know about the South Bronx, "they" won't have to tear it down, they'll just have to leave it unprotected for a few days and let events take their course.

Heath
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
From what I know about the South Bronx, "they" won't have to tear it down, they'll just have to leave it unprotected for a few days and let events take their course.

The block radius around Yankee Stadium is ok, not the greatest place. But there are a few shops open and a few bars there.

Its after that radius past the 161st Subway station where its every man for himself.

True story - My dad took me to Yankee Stadium in November. We took the wrong subway stop. Walked two blocks through South Bronx. I'm still alive.

RedsBaron
08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah, you really can't blame the Yankees. After the Pirates, Brewers and Reds got new ballparks, the Yankees have to get a new field just to stay competitive.

NJReds
08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
I remember the first time I walked on the Yankee Stadium field during batting practice when I was a reporter. Amazing feeling. Let's just say you don't get the same feeling walking out onto the Shea Stadium field.

Then, a couple years later I got to do Public Address for the NY State College Baseball All-Star Game. It's pretty wild hearing your voice over that PA system. I learned rather quickly why people pause when they talk on stadium microphones.

BoydsOfSummer
08-17-2006, 01:21 PM
and boyd breaks wind in yankee's general direction