PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds out for year???

kaldaniels
08-17-2006, 03:09 AM
I may have missed this elsewhere but in Hal's column today it mentions Edmonds may miss the rest of the season with post-concussion syndrome. Somewhere Georgie Grande is weeping.

Good night all.

guttle11
08-17-2006, 03:31 AM
I may have missed this elsewhere but in Hal's column today it mentions Edmonds may miss the rest of the season with post-concussion syndrome. Somewhere Georgie Grande is weeping.

Good night all.

Are you sure he didn't say series?

Post-concussion is tough, and he COULD miss the rest of the year, but I wouldn't count on it. He'll likely be DL'ed though.

OldXOhio
08-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Cards announcers were saying last night that Edmonds admitted it's been a problem for close to a month now (dating back to their White Sox series). Mentioned the possibility of it being season ending, although more tests were scheduled this week.

Could also be the end of JimEd in a cards uni if true.

Crash Davis
08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Mike Matheny has had the same problem...out for the year.

Corey Koskie had this over a month ago, and he's not coming back anytime soon.

flyer85
08-17-2006, 10:48 AM
it is one of those situations where you just don't know when it will go away. There is no timetable. I would expect to see him on the DL and he will come back when/if he can.

Red Leader
08-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I just read this on Yahoo:

"We're just going to keep it under the category of post-concussion syndrome and we'll just go day by day and see how he feels," Weinberg said. "He's got to just give me the input every day."

Edmonds did not play Wednesday night against Cincinnati, but manager Tony La Russa and the Cardinals were holding out hope he might return Thursday.

"Tony's got the spot open tomorrow for him if he feels good," Weinberg said.

The reason I read it is that I've got Edmunds on my fantasy team. He's on my bench, but still if he's going to miss the rest of the season, I'd replace him. From the discussion above it sounds like it won't be a DL or a season ending situation. I guess I'll just have to look to see if he's in the lineup today. If he's not in the lineup by tomorrow night, I'll probably cut him.

Strikes Out Looking
08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Didn't he hit two homers in Cincy last week, with his post-concussion syndrome?

Maybe we should whack all the Reds players on the head and see if that brings a little offensive life into them.

kaldaniels
08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Are you sure he didn't say series?

Post-concussion is tough, and he COULD miss the rest of the year, but I wouldn't count on it. He'll likely be DL'ed though.

Not pasting the whole article.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/081706redsweb.html

St. Louis center fielder Jim Edmonds, who left Tuesday's game early with dizziness and blurred vision, was not in Wednesday's lineup and may miss the rest of the season with what Cardinals officials say is Post-Concussion Syndrome

registerthis
08-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Didn't he hit two homers in Cincy last week, with his post-concussion syndrome?

Maybe we should whack all the Reds players on the head and see if that brings a little offensive life into them.

What, five HRs in a game isn't enough?

Red Leader
08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Sounds like they just really dobn't know when Edmunds will return.

This is from the St. Louis Dispatch:

Edmonds underwent a battery of vision, blood and neurological tests before arriving at the stadium Wednesday. He spoke briefly with La Russa and did not participate in any on-field pregame activities. Edmonds confirmed doctors were trying to rule out diabetes, hypoglycemia and infection as the root of his problem.

Describing himself as “up and down” Wednesday afternoon, Edmonds indicated he has experienced sporadic dizziness, nausea and blurred vision in recent weeks. More alarming, he admitted difficulty focusing on the pitch that struck him out in Tuesday’s final at-bat.

“You have to wonder where we go from here,” La Russa said before Wednesday's game.

“He may be back tomorrow; he may not be back for a month. I’ve talked to Jim and he told me about how he’s been feeling. I really don’t know,” La Russa said.

westofyou
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Any hockey fan can tell you that concussions are the strangest and hardest injury to gauge for a players comeback, it also is something that is prone to dragging out way longer then the organization expected.

Reds1
08-17-2006, 12:05 PM
The reason I read it is that I've got Edmunds on my fantasy team. He's on my bench, but still if he's going to miss the rest of the season, I'd replace him. From the discussion above it sounds like it won't be a DL or a season ending situation. I guess I'll just have to look to see if he's in the lineup today. If he's not in the lineup by tomorrow night, I'll probably cut him.

Sounds like he's in and out the rest of the year anyway. Very difficult to carry him on your fantasy team. I'd recommend picking someone else up or put Edmonds on the bench and watch the blogs to see if he plays, but that's a lot of work. I do that with Ross sometimes. :)

deltachi8
08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Any hockey fan can tell you that concussions are the strangest and hardest injury to gauge for a players comeback, it also is something that is prone to dragging out way longer then the organization expected.

Absoluetly, as a Buffalo Sabres fan, witnessing Pat LaFontaine and Tim Connoly in the past few years is eveidence of that.

Red Leader
08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
I just dumped Edmunds and picked up Melky Cabrera, who has been hitting well lately and the Yankees play a double header vs the Red Sox (faces Jason Johnson and a struggling Jon Lester tomorrow). So I can pick up one of those games that Edmunds cost me by sitting out.

Danny Serafini
08-17-2006, 12:29 PM

I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't be the slightest bit unusual for this to go on for months.

RedsFan75
08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
I had a bad concussion and it took several months for it to fully heal. It's a pretty bad thing too. You forget stuff easily, you don't see well, can't focus. See something spinning and it sets you to dizziness.... I can't imagine trying to watch a spinning baseball approaching you with out it setting you off a bit!

Sea Ray
08-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Some have advocating calling these concussions what they really are: brain injuries. It's more serious than it sounds. I'd say the Cards can't count on him the rest of the year although he'll probably hang on in Sept when rosters expand