PDA

View Full Version : Griffey's mother undergoing surgery; father also ill

JapanRed
08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2552369

ST. LOUIS -- Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. is struggling at the plate -- hitting 51 points below his career batting average -- as both of his parents battle serious illnesses.

Griffey's mother is undergoing colon cancer surgery on Thursday. Griffey will decide before the game against St. Louis whether he's in the Reds' starting lineup.

"It's up to her," Griffey said in The Cincinnati Enquirer. "If she wants me [in the lineup], I'll be there."

Griffey's mother is having surgery in Orlando, Fla. His father, former major leaguer Ken Griffey Sr., is suffering from prostate cancer. Griffey found out about his father's condition a week an a half ago.

Griffey's parents are divorced.

"Not one parent but both your parents," he said in The Enquirer. "It's been tough."

Reds manager Jerry Narron said Griffey has given Griffey permission to leave the team if he wants.

"I talked to him about taking Monday and Tuesday," Narron said. "He didn't want to do it. I think his mother doesn't want him to."

Griffey is hitting .243 entering play on Thursday.

"He wouldn't be human if it didn't affect him," Narron said.

toledodan
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
how can you not struggle dealing with that. i think alot of people forget baseball players are human to. we(myself as well) ***** and moan when a player makes a out or error at a bad time. despite the money they make health problems know no salary. i wish his mom and dad a quick recovery.

robmadden1
08-17-2006, 03:11 PM
I think he should have taken off to be with his mother for her surgery. If I was him thats wahat I would have done.

Team Clark
08-17-2006, 09:39 PM
I've known the family for years and "Birdie" would want Ken to play. Having said that I wouldn't care WHAT my Mom said, I'd be there.

Cicero
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I will keep them in my prayers. Best wishes to his family.

Roy Tucker
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Saw this in Hal McCoy's game notes...

Griffey's good news

Ken Griffey Jr., began Wednesday's game with a 14-game hitting streak and a smile on his face. He found out Tuesday that his mother, Bertie, is cancer-free and isn't likely to need chemotherapy after she underwent colon surgery August 15.

cumberlandreds
08-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Saw this in Hal McCoy's game notes...

Griffey's good news

Ken Griffey Jr., began Wednesday's game with a 14-game hitting streak and a smile on his face. He found out Tuesday that his mother, Bertie, is cancer-free and isn't likely to need chemotherapy after she underwent colon surgery August 15.

Great news! :thumbup:

Team Clark
08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Great news! :thumbup:

Very Good news! Great lady. Ken is up next and should fare the same.