PDA

View Full Version : Judge delays jail sentence for football

westofyou
08-17-2006, 01:55 PM
http://robots.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/17/deerdecoy.crash.ap/index.html

KENTON, Ohio (AP) -- A judge decided two high school athletes can complete the football season this fall before they serve 60-day jail sentences for a car crash caused by a decoy deer placed in a country road. Two teens were injured.

"I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm going to. I see positive things about participating in football," Judge Gary McKinley said Tuesday.

Dailyn Campbell, a 16-year-old quarterback for Kenton High, and 17-year-old teammate Jesse Howard will serve their time in a juvenile detention center. They were also ordered to write a 500-word essay titled "Why I Should Think Before I Act."

Last November, teens stole the decoy from a man's home, created a base to help it stand upright because it had only two legs, and then drove up and down the road, watching as drivers swerved to avoid it, prosecutor Brad Bailey said. He said Howard did not stop the prank.

Robert Roby Jr. crashed his car into a pole and broke his neck, collarbone, arm and leg. His passenger, Dustin Zachariah, suffered brain damage, Bailey said.

Campbell and Howard pleaded no contest to vehicular vandalism and other charges. Three other teenagers are awaiting trial in the fall.

"None of these guys will ever know what our sons have gone through," Roby's mother, Mary, wrote to the court. "If they get nothing for what they've done, they'll do something worse later. They need more than a slap on the wrist."

Both Campbell and Howard apologized at their sentencing.

"I think every day that I hurt someone, and that hurts me inside," said Howard, a defensive back who earned an honorable mention on the all-district team last fall.

Howard's father, C.J., said he punished his son by taking away his driver's license, keeping him at home and preventing him from playing sports.

BTW 500 words is about 2 full typed pages.

I blame activist judges myself. :laugh:

justincredible
08-17-2006, 02:35 PM
The coach needs to suspend both of them from the team if the judge isn't going to prevent them from playing.

Matt700wlw
08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
The coach needs to suspend both of them from the team if the judge isn't going to prevent them from playing.

And if the coach doesn't, the PARENTS need to...

RedFanAlways1966
08-17-2006, 03:29 PM
And we wonder why we see Maurice Clarett type situations in our society. GRRRRR!

:bang:

justincredible
08-17-2006, 03:38 PM
And if the coach doesn't, the PARENTS need to...

It looks like one of the fathers has already kept his son from playing sports. Hopefully the other parents follow suit. The coach should also make it known that they are not welcome on the team either way.

dabvu2498
08-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Juvi court judges. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the injured will take civil action.

LoganBuck
08-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I just heard of this story tonight, and it just makes me sick. I feel dirty just reading about it. These two kids need to be punished, they each had two one year sentances to juvenile detention suspended. Then the football thing too? The victims have run up $700000 in med bills and are expected to cross one million soon.