PDA

View Full Version : interesting question

jamess697
08-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Should I be getting excited about the AA numbers of Joey Votto. He seems like a major prospect but he is only in AA. It seems weird that the team was so quick to resign Hatteberg, with a major prospect like Votto in the waiting. He is on the 40 man, so he obviously can't be to far away. What's Up!

cincrazy
08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Votto's got at least another year, so that's why there was the extension for Hatteberg. It'll be hard for Hatteberg to duplicate this year's stats, but he's still a solid first baseman, and helps fill the gap until Votto is ready. I'd like to see Votto get a full year in AAA before being up here full time, and Hatteberg affords us that option.

redsmetz
08-17-2006, 10:10 PM
I know I keep saying this ad nauseum, but one of Wayne's hallmarks seems to be a strong commitment to have minor leaguers move up step by step. We've become so accustomed to seeing guys routinely make the jump from AA to the bigs and I think we've paid for that approach. As fans, we're all chomping at the bit to get our prospect here and Wayne K. seems to be choosing to be patient. Time will tell if that pays off. I think he might be right.

Always Red
08-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Plus, after Hatte is done being a platoon or everyday player, I think he'd be a heck of a LH pinch-hitter.

wheels
08-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Votto might just be the real deal, but it's good to have Hatteberg around next year in the even that he has a tough time of it.

Votto's got some question marks, but so did Edwin Encarnacion.

FoReel
08-17-2006, 10:45 PM
I know I keep saying this ad nauseum, but one of Wayne's hallmarks seems to be a strong commitment to have minor leaguers move up step by step. We've become so accustomed to seeing guys routinely make the jump from AA to the bigs and I think we've paid for that approach. As fans, we're all chomping at the bit to get our prospect here and Wayne K. seems to be choosing to be patient. Time will tell if that pays off. I think he might be right.
Right on the target, see Mark Lewis for example.

Aronchis
08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Hats had a career year and will regress, thus comes Votto. Especially if the Reds fall back again and the NL rises from its coffin a bit next year, the season may be over by May.

redsmetz
08-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Hats had a career year and will regress, thus comes Votto. Especially if the Reds fall back again and the NL rises from its coffin a bit next year, the season may be over by May.

I'll repeat what I've said many times before. You can't tell a year is a "career year" until you've seen it in the context of the entire career. Only time will tell. The Hatteberg signing is good because it fills the position for another year while another 1st baseman develops or we add by trade or free agency.

And while the rest of the NL resurrects, why are we staying down?

flyer85
08-18-2006, 12:06 AM
When a 22 year old is raking in AA the way Votto is, you should be excited.

flyer85
08-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Hats had a career year and will regress, you mean it isn't a new level of performance? Oh the pain.

StillFunkyB
08-18-2006, 08:33 AM
When a 22 year old is raking in AA the way Votto is, you should be excited.

Did you hear the interview with him on WLW?

Good stuff. They asked him about Hatte, and he basically said Hatte was good people. I am really looking forward to this kid.

So the Reds are gonna give him a few big league AB's in Sept?