PDA

View Full Version : Things That Drive You Crazy Part 46

Pages : [1] 2

Dom Heffner
08-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Alright, folks, it's time for another edition of "Things That Drive You Crazy."

People Who Leave a 40 Feet Space Between Themselves and the Car Ahead of Them in a Traffic Jam

The old principle of leaving adequate stopping distance behind the car in front of you holds true when travelling at speeds of 55 MPH, but when you are going 10 MPH, there is no need to do it. Trust us, you can stop on a dime when crawling.

There should be a federal campaign to address this. I can hear the jingle now...

"If you find yourself stuck....just scoot...the f*** up (honk! honk!)

Restaraunts that Scream to Welcome You Upon Arrival

I cannot stand when I enter a strip mall type eating joint that insists on making a scene once I walk through the door.

"Welcome to Moe's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" "Welcome to Firehouse!!!!!"

There are 30 people behind the counter who interrupt all they are doing to scream at you.

Look- this isn't a Royal Feast held in 13th century England where we have to announce people at the door.

I don't need their entire staff and customers to turn around and look at me everytime I am hungry- I honestly don't want that sort of attention at this point in my life.

And I really don't know what to do when this happens. Do I scream back at them? Do I wave? Do I thank them? A salute? Flip the bird? What?

Tip Jars At Carry Out Establishments

I have a probloem with the idea of tipping to begin with, but if you aren't refilling my drinks and coming back to check on me from time to time, I'm not giving you a tip. I shouldn't be guilted into making my meal more expensive than advertised just because you got the order right and handed it to me across the counter.

I always assume that getting the order right is included in the price.

It's not like you ever walk up to the counter and say, "Does that price include getting the order right?"

"No, sir, we charge extra for getting it correct and being nice to you."

"And how much extra do I pay for that?"

"Whatever you can afford, sir. Just put it in the cup."

These places should hang a sign on the tip jar that reads, "Here- you pay our staff."

When people at stop lights carry around a jar asking for money, we call them panhandlers. When carry-out restaurants do it, it's a legitimate business practice.

Maybe I should walk in with my own cup- "You wanna give me a few bucks for being a good customer? I said please and thank you, I was polite, my debit card was approved, I paid with exact change...I deserve a 5 spot for going above and beyond, don't I?"

:)

Razor Shines
08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
1. I drive a lot and I used to be bothered by that too. But then I thought about it and what difference would it really make? You're just going to move up 40 ft.and sit.

2. I'd rather them not say anything to me when I walk in also. But I have found that those places usually have better service. My wife and I went to a sit down restaurant the other day that barely noticed us as we came in, and proceded to give us the worst service I've ever had in my life.

3. Agree 100%. Oh that pisses me off. Occasionally I will tip if it's really expensive carry out like from The Cheesecake Factory, but if I see a tip jar, or a mother ******* sign that says "I gladly accept tips", I won't and I'll usually tell them why.

Hap
08-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Radio Shack clerks....sorry to you if there are any on board, but I don't need 100 free minutes from Sprint and I don't need another cell phone and I don't need any crappy remote controlled toys.

Best Buy clerks....I've already told seven of you that I'm just browsing so GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!

Wal-Mart shopping in general....you can't stop to look at something with out seventeen people bumping into you

max venable
08-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Here are a few I'd like to nominate:

Blowers in restrooms. Just give me some paper towels...PLEASE! Don't you hate pushing the button and then rubbing your hands under the blower for what seems like ages? And then your hands still aren't dry. You always end up wiping them on your pants leg anyway.

When you're at a restaurant and the fork you're using has tines that don't line up quite right. You know, the fork has one prong that sticks up...it's like it's rebelling against the other tines. So what do we do? We take the fork out of our mouths, and then try and even things up by using our hands that we just tried to blow-dry and ended up wiping on our pants. Nice.

Ketchup packets at fast-food places. Okay...if you're gonna make us use ketchup packets, then make 'em bigger! First of all, it's just a huge hassel to try and rip the thing open. Sometimes you can't even get a good grip. Then when you do finally get a grip on it, you end up tearing the whole side open, making a mess in the process. So then you squeeze out the little-tiny bit of ketchup that's in the pack. And it's good for, what? Two fries? If you're like me, you spend five minutes opening enough ketchup packets for your super-sized fries that are cold by the time you get enough ketchup squeezed out for them. Plus, I always have the dilemma of where to squeeze the ketchup to...do I squirt it into the lid of my Big Mac? Do i try and flatten out a wrapper and squeeze it onto that? What's proper ketchup packet etiquette? And the part that makes NO SENSE to me it that ketchup packets come with FAST food. Right? The food is supposed to be designed to eat on-the-go. So you go through the drive-thru, and they give you ketchup packets for the car. How's THAT supposed to work?

Dom Heffner
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
1. I drive a lot and I used to be bothered by that too. But then I thought about it and what difference would it really make? You're just going to move up 40 ft.and sit.

You are correct in some respects, but where it gets you is if there is a traffic light involved. If the person in front of you doesn't scoot up, you miss the light. Happens to me everyday on the way to work. All because "Mr. just in case" can't scoot up.

I'm hearing my jingle right now.

"If you find yourself stuck...just scoot...

Radio Shack clerks

YES! And I hate stores- Radio Shack is notorious for doing this- who ask for your phone number, address, or zip code before they'll ring you up.

"What's your zip code?"

"What's your least favorite place for me to smack you silly?"

Hoosier Red
08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Two light switches in the same room.
You inevitably have to flip a switch up to turn the lights off or down to turn the lights on.
And it always leaves the light switches in a weird pattern on the wall.

Sorry just bought a new house which is beautiful and big and everything I need but this drives me nuts.
weird I know.

Puffy
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
When someone titles a thread "Things that Drives you Crazy" and then I get that Fine Young Cannibals song in my head and can't get rid of it.

max venable
08-18-2006, 12:26 PM
YES! And I hate stores- Radio Shack is notorious for doing this- who ask for your phone number, address, or zip code before they'll ring you up.

Along those lines, I stopped into NAPA to buy a fuse for my minivan last week. A couple of things...first, the only guy working was on the phone and didn't even acknowledge me or the fact that I was searching for something. Second, after he hung up, the phone rang again and he answered it and spent several minutes with that call...all the while, I'm waiting at the counter. When I finally did get help and I found the fuse I needed (it was behind the counter anyway)...I had to wait another couple of minutes while the guy printed out a fancy 8 1/2 x 11 receipt...for a 50 fuse. They probably spent more than 50 on the ink and the paper. Can't ya just let me throw the 50 on the counter and walk away?

Dom Heffner
08-18-2006, 12:27 PM
When someone titles a thread "Things that Drives you Crazy" and then I get that Fine Young Cannibals song in my head and can't get rid of it.

Just be happy I didn't name the thread "MmmmmBop!!!!!!"

Sorry about that. At least that other song is out your head now.

Gainesville Red
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
It drives me crazy when people don't flush the toilet in public restrooms.

I try my best to not go into public restrooms. Especially for #2. Never.

I hate when I have to pee, and I step up to the plate, and someone's poop is in there. It's just gross. I don't want to see your poop. Flush the damn toilet.

minus5
08-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Radio Shack clerks....sorry to you if there are any on board, but I don't need 100 free minutes from Sprint and I don't need another cell phone and I don't need any crappy remote controlled toys.

YES! Radio Shack clerks drive me insane!!! Everytime I need a basic adaptor and just want the Radio Shack brand they want to sell me the Monster Cable version for 3 times more no matter what application I am using it for. If I thought I needed the gold plated, diamond studded Y connector for my 4 year olds VHS, I would have gotten it already!!! And no, you don't get my phone number.

Rojo
08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I hate lame sarcasm, par ejemplo:

J-Off: Dave's fishing in Baja this week.

******: Wow, talk about a rough life!

J-Off: Tell me about, poor guy.

Why can't you just skip those conversations?

bucksfan
08-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Here are a few I'd like to nominate:

Blowers in restrooms. Just give me some paper towels...PLEASE! Don't you hate pushing the button and then rubbing your hands under the blower for what seems like ages? And then your hands still aren't dry. You always end up wiping them on your pants leg anyway.

When you're at a restaurant and the fork you're using has tines that don't line up quite right. You know, the fork has one prong that sticks up...it's like it's rebelling against the other tines. So what do we do? We take the fork out of our mouths, and then try and even things up by using our hands that we just tried to blow-dry and ended up wiping on our pants. Nice.

Ketchup packets at fast-food places. ...

I second those! However, and I fail to recollect the location, there is one establishment I visited in my New York City trip that had dryers that could propel a rocketship full of hippopotamuses to Mars. I could actually feel the air from the thing about 15 feet waya in the stall when others used it. It is the only dryer that has ever gotten my hands completely dry, and I must say it do so in the most expedient fashion.

RichRed
08-18-2006, 12:56 PM

When someone mentions something that he could've easily kept to himself instead of deliberately getting that same song stuck in other people's heads so he won't be the only one suffering. I hate when that happens. ;)

vaticanplum
08-18-2006, 01:05 PM
People Who Leave a 40 Feet Space Between Themselves and the Car Ahead of Them in a Traffic Jam

The old principle of leaving adequate stopping distance behind the car in front of you holds true when travelling at speeds of 55 MPH, but when you are going 10 MPH, there is no need to do it. Trust us, you can stop on a dime when crawling.

There should be a federal campaign to address this. I can hear the jingle now...

"If you find yourself stuck....just scoot...the f*** up (honk! honk!)

I have a huge problem with people not being aware of how they fit in space. It boggles my mind how many people seem completely oblivious to how much room they take up as opposed to how much they actually need, and this is amplified by the fact that the majority of the population now seems unable to leave the house without carrying about two huge bags (which can take up as much space as a person, width-wise, though every person seems to think that his or her own bags are invisible).

A very tiny, slightly weavy person can somehow manage to take up a whole sidewalk. Here in Chicago, in particular, people walk very slowly and seem unable to move for anyone else, even if they're walking right towards them.

For those of you who ride public transportation in particular, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. If you're riding public transportation at rush hour, I'm sorry, but you really do have to make an effort to take up as little space as you can, and you can do this without infringing on people's personal space (I, for example, hate people or their bags touching me anywhere on the subway, but I still manage to take up minimal room). Sit in your seat; don't spread out to others. Stand straight up; don't place your feet three feet apart just to claim your gigantitude. There is a notable difference between men and women here. I see women giving up TOO MUCH space, crouching into themselves in a notable effort not to exist on the train or in fact the world. Whereas men want to claim their kingdom. It kills me when I see regular-sized men taking up a seat and a half just so they can spread their legs out, because apparently their manhood is so unbelievably enormous that they cannot put their legs together, but rather need to rest it on an entire half of their own seat. Dude.

I also see a difference in cities. I can safely say now that Chicago public transportation riders are the worst I've ever seen (I have discussed this here before). They have no concept of space and also believe that the fastest, most convenient way to get anywhere is to mow people down when they're trying to get off the train just so they can get on. I was in Washington about a month ago and I could not believe how well those people rode the subway. Stand aside. Let people off. Board subway. Take up your own space. It brought me to tears of joy. Those people should make instructional videos.

And on the space note, I also dislike it in crowded bars or movie theaters when people leave one seat between their own party and another. I understand this when there aren't many people there, but pay attention, because as places get crowded this will inevitably lead to disaster. Go to a movie theater and count all the empty seats in a row where there could very logically be a party of three or even four in a single row. We're past cooties, people. drives me bananas. Same thing goes for on-street parallel parking.

Well, guess I had to get that out. :)

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 01:08 PM
What's your least favorite place for me to smack you silly?"

:laugh: I like that and plan to use it on occasion with your permission, Dom.

vaticanplum
08-18-2006, 01:08 PM

Ketchup packets at fast-food places. Okay...if you're gonna make us use ketchup packets, then make 'em bigger! First of all, it's just a huge hassel to try and rip the thing open. Sometimes you can't even get a good grip. Then when you do finally get a grip on it, you end up tearing the whole side open, making a mess in the process. So then you squeeze out the little-tiny bit of ketchup that's in the pack. And it's good for, what? Two fries? If you're like me, you spend five minutes opening enough ketchup packets for your super-sized fries that are cold by the time you get enough ketchup squeezed out for them. Plus, I always have the dilemma of where to squeeze the ketchup to...do I squirt it into the lid of my Big Mac? Do i try and flatten out a wrapper and squeeze it onto that? What's proper ketchup packet etiquette? And the part that makes NO SENSE to me it that ketchup packets come with FAST food. Right? The food is supposed to be designed to eat on-the-go. So you go through the drive-thru, and they give you ketchup packets for the car. How's THAT supposed to work?

Those hand dryers, while somewhat inconvenient, save a lot of waste. Sometimes I have to shake my hands a bit, but I do agree with them -- they're much better for the environment, especially since people tend to take handfuls more towels than they need.

And Max, I have told you what a lifesaver those ketchup packets are when you're poor...you can steal them from convenience marts and load up on them. On the other hand, you are right about them having too much plastic for too little ketchup, so they are bad for the environment too. So you win here.

I'm with you on the forks though. Good restaurants should be keeping an eye on those and getting rid of them once the prongs start to rebel.

Puffy
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Speaking of bathrooms, I hate when a bathroom has an attendant, so when you wash your hands all of a sudden you are obligated to tip him. Jeez, I just wanted to take a piss and now its gonna cost me money. And I don't need cologne, chips or a big, black 1980's comb either.

Ltlabner
08-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I hate when I have to pee, and I step up to the plate, and someone's poop is in there. It's just gross. I don't want to see your poop. Flush the damn toilet.

I think I finally found a signature to stick with!

Ltlabner
08-18-2006, 01:24 PM
People who find it neccessary to nearly come to a complete stop before turning right.

People who suddenly drive 30 MPH on the highway because it's raining.

People who don't understand the simple concept of merging. Those entering the highway speed up, those exiting the highway slow down. It makes no sense whatsoever to suddenly goose it up to 108mph just to get infront of me and then have to lock up the brakes to avoid flying over the guardrail as you enter the curving off-ramp. There will be nobody at your funeral to say, "sir, you won the race".

People who forget basic physics. When on the highway and you need to loose a little speed. LET OFF THE GAS. Friction and gravity will be your friends and slow you down. It is not neccessary to tap your brakes to adjust your speed by 5 mph.

As you might have guessed, I drive a lot. I'm in industrial sales so I have a lot of windshield time to get ticked off at people.

Chip R
08-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Those hand dryers, while somewhat inconvenient, save a lot of waste. Sometimes I have to shake my hands a bit, but I do agree with them -- they're much better for the environment, especially since people tend to take handfuls more towels than they need.

Tree-hugger. ;)

Ltlabner
08-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Cell phones at the ballpark: Unless you are a doctor expecting an emergancy call or your kids are calling to tell you the house is on fire, there is ZERO need to be on a cellphone at the ballpark.

Anybody can get a cellphone. I've seen 8 year olds with them. You can go to the gas station and get a prepaid one over lunch. They really aren't much of a "status symbol"

The ability to talk on a phone isn't very impressive to me either. Lots of people can do it. Ma Bell made a pretty decent living off of people talking on the phone. You aren't special because you can do it.

If you insist on being on your cellphone at the ballpark do you have to compound it by sitting directly behind home plate? I'm already ticked at you anyway for sitting there, but to insult me further by ignoring the game to tell someone what time you'll be home for dinner really drives me nuts.

Roy Tucker
08-18-2006, 01:39 PM
People that can't control their dogs.

My dog likes to go for walks. When she was young, we did a lot of training and now she is good on the leash. We go over to the park and walk the big loop around the park. She is a good dog, understands we're there to get a walk in, and we've got a job to do.

Invariably, we meet up with a dogs that the owner thinks its cute for the dogs to interact which means their dog snaps, bits, and barks at mine and the owner helplessly flutters and says "oh, I just can't do a thing with Fluffy".

Or, the owner that thinks the "all dogs on a leash" rule doesn't apply to them and their dog needs to feel the wind beneath its ears and run free. And attacks my dog while they say "Fluffy, oh Fluffy, please don't do that" while their dog completely ignores them and continues to attack my dog.

I usually deal with dogs like this curtly and use whatever means necessary to stop their nonsense quite abruptly. And let the owner know I'm not a happy dog walker.

RichRed
08-18-2006, 01:39 PM
People who find it neccessary to nearly come to a complete stop before turning right.

Or people who cross over into the next lane before making a turn. You're not driving a container ship, that little car was engineered for you to be able to take a turn without creating such a wide berth, and possibly causing a wreck.

bucksfan
08-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Ditto - it's these people that make it such that it is difficult to take your dog to a lot of places.

Roy Tucker
08-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Just FYI, my son works at Moe's and they get in big trouble with the management if they don't holler "welcome to Moe's". He said they all hate doing it.

Ltlabner

Roy that is a fantastic post. Wish I had rep to give you right now.

Dogs are simple pack animals. If you assume the role of pack leader and exersise your authority dogs are usually really easy to control. They want to have you in charge so they can follow you. That is how they are genetically engineered. Keeping your dog in check is really pretty simple if you are just willing to take charge, and set up boundries, rules and limitations. And put in some time establishing that authority and maintaining it.

Dogs are not people. Dogs are dogs. I love dogs and I'd be devistated if we lost ours, but we treat her like a dog because that's what she needs to be healthy.

I agree totally. Especially the part where the owner is flailing while fluffy bounces around doing what uncontrolled dogs naturally do. And then said incompetant owner gets mad at the dog!

RFS62

My dog likes to go for walks. When she was young, we did a lot of training and now she is good on the leash. We go over to the park and walk the big loop around the park. She is a good dog, understands we're there to get a walk in, and we've got a job to do.

Invariably, we meet up with a dogs that the owner thinks its cute for the dogs to interact which means their dog snaps, bits, and barks at mine and the owner helplessly flutters and says "oh, I just can't do a thing with Fluffy".

Or, the owner that thinks the "all dogs on a leash" rule doesn't apply to them and their dog needs to feel the wind beneath its ears and run free. And attacks my dog while they say "Fluffy, oh Fluffy, please don't do that" while their dog completely ignores them and continues to attack my dog.

I usually deal with dogs like this curtly and use whatever means necessary to stop their nonsense quite abruptly. And let the owner know I'm not a happy dog walker.

I hear you.

I can't stand irresponsible dog owners. Pick up after your dog, dammit.

And learn to use a leash.

vaticanplum
08-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Very good point. Dogs need discipline and education just like children do. Unlike children, with dogs, if you do a good concentrated smattering of it when they're very young then you're pretty much good to go. If it takes obedience school, it takes obedience school. After that you're pretty much set with a dog who will be happier, safer, and better behaved, and it make your own life a lot easier.

Ltlabner
08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
When you hold a door open for someone behind you and they lolly-gag along and basically make you wait on them. I don't expect them to start running but it's pretty rude when you clearly see someone holding the door for you to not hustle it up a little.

I've actually just given up on a few people and let the door shut and move on. The people looked ticked but, I am not their personal door man.

Razor Shines
08-18-2006, 01:56 PM

People who suddenly drive 30 MPH on the highway because it's raining.

People who don't understand the simple concept of merging. Those entering the highway speed up, those exiting the highway slow down. It makes no sense whatsoever to suddenly goose it up to 108mph just to get infront of me and then have to lock up the brakes to avoid flying over the guardrail as you enter the curving off-ramp. There will be nobody at your funeral to say, "sir, you won the race".

People who forget basic physics. When on the highway and you need to loose a little speed. LET OFF THE GAS. Friction and gravity will be your friends and slow you down. It is not neccessary to tap your brakes to adjust your speed by 5 mph.

As you might have guessed, I drive a lot. I'm in industrial sales so I have a lot of windshield time to get ticked off at people.

A fellow road warrior. What about on the high way when someone can't decide on a speed. You come up behind them, so you get in the left lane and pass and they speed up as your passing them. Or if you do pass them, within five seconds they're on your tail trying to pass you, so you let them pass and they slow down again. I generally find that these people are on their cell phones and either way they should be beaten.

Ltlabner
08-18-2006, 01:57 PM
The guy in your company meeting who takes it upon himself to play devils advocate to every conversation or point made.

Also, the guy who decides the company meeting is a great place to air his discontent with the company by asking all sorts of hard-ass questions in an effort to bust the bosses private parts.

Sales meetings are gureling enough, I don't need these charicters to make it any worse for me.

westofyou
08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Part 46

I hate it when somebody gets their chocolate in my peanut butter.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I hear you.

I can't stand irresponsible dog owners. Pick up after your dog, dammit.

And learn to use a leash.

My golden knows that before we walk, we go to the backyard to "do our business."
No business, no walk. I don't like carrying the plastic bag around with me. He understands this and gets it done before we go. We live in a nice neighborhood, but it really bugs me to see a big pile on the sidewalk or in my front yard because someone is irresponsible.

Originally posted by Roy Tucker

:beerme:

NJReds
08-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Cell phones at the ballpark: Unless you are a doctor expecting an emergancy call or your kids are calling to tell you the house is on fire, there is ZERO need to be on a cellphone at the ballpark.

Even worse...cellphones at movie theaters (or any theater, really). I'm waiting for the day when they just put some sort of signal block in so people can't use their phones in theaters.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Dogs are simple pack animals. If you assume the role of pack leader and exersise your authority dogs are usually really easy to control. They want to have you in charge so they can follow you. That is how they are genetically engineered. Keeping your dog in check is really pretty simple if you are just willing to take charge, and set up boundries, rules and limitations. And put in some time establishing that authority and maintaining it.

Dogs are not people. Dogs are dogs. I love dogs and I'd be devistated if we lost ours, but we treat her like a dog because that's what she needs to be healthy.

I agree totally. Especially the part where the owner is flailing while fluffy bounces around doing what uncontrolled dogs naturally do. And then said incompetant owner gets mad at the dog!

Good post! They really do want you to be the leader.:beerme:

dabvu2498
08-18-2006, 02:19 PM

You've been watching this guy:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/images/home_cesar.jpg

Roy Tucker
08-18-2006, 02:22 PM
My golden knows that before we walk, we go to the backyard to "do our business." No business, no walk.

Boy, I wish. Our dog has to have it walked out of her.

Plastic grocery bags work well. I've mastered inverting the bag, reaching through to pick up, and then hermetically tying it shut. My dog gives me an offended eye if I bump the contents of the bag against her. Kind of like "I left it there, you're the one that decided to pick it up".

Gainesville Red
08-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Eww, y'know what I really hate?

When it's like 105 degrees, and you see a dog or child stuck in the car in a parking lot. That makes me want to pick up a shopping cart and throw it through the window so the dog/child can get out.

Ltlabner
08-18-2006, 02:24 PM
You've been watching this guy:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/images/home_cesar.jpg

Guilty as charged.

I've always had a knack for handling dogs and felt the way I do. Cesar just helped me put it into words. Heavily accented words, but words none the less.

BuckWoody
08-18-2006, 02:26 PM
As a corollary to this, I loathe the guy on his cell phone in front of me standing up while talking to his buddy, who's also in the park, trying to tell him where he's seated. "I'm standing up and waving. Can you see me?" :angry:

I'm also irritated by the guy in front of me that gets something from a vendor, has to stand up to get his wallet, then continues to stand while waiting for his change, then puts his change away, then puts his wallet away, then checks to make sure all is well around him, then sits back down.

We could have a 10-page thread just about ballpark annoyances.

Ltlabner
08-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm also irritated by the guy in front of me that gets something from a vendor, has to stand up to get his wallet, then continues to stand while waiting for his change, then puts his change away, then puts his wallet away, then checks to make sure all is well around him, then sits back down.

Very simular to this is the person at a counter who completes their transaction and then:
1) gets the reciept from the clerk
1a) Carefully reads the reciept to ensure it is correct
2) puts it in their pocketbook organizer
3) zips it
4) puts the pocketbook organizer in their purse
5) fumbles with getting said pocketbook organizer in their purse
6) Zips their purse
7) Fumbles with their keys
8) Knocks one of their items on the ground
9) Picks up said item
10) Makes unncessary comment to clerk
11) Finally steps away from the counter and allows the next person in line to get on with their life.

Once you are done with the clerk, simply step to the side so the next person in line can complete their purchase. Use your arm to scoot all of your purchases over and out of the way of the next person. This will give you all sorts of time and extra space to reassemble all of your gear before leaving the store.

ochre
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Just FYI, my son works at Moe's and they get in big trouble with the management if they don't holler "welcome to Moe's". He said they all hate doing it.
They cut them a break if they're wearing enough flair?

Dan
08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
traffic:
1. If it's 40 feet you're moving up just to sit longer in a traffic jam then so be it. Maybe the light cycles through but odds are you'll have sat there about as long anyway. If you're gonna sit might as well not stress over it.

2. traffic peeve #1: People who leave 40 ft of space between them and the car in front while sitting at a red light. Especially if I want to get into the arrow-controlled LH turn lane and am blocked by a median.

3. traffic peeve #2: People who yield when they shouldn't. I had this one happen to me today. I'm going to make a left turn onto a side street from a well travelled 2 lane road. Happily waiting for the (slow - 25mph) oncoming traffic to clear, suddenly this guy stops in front of about 6 cars to "let" me turn in front of him. I'm sure he thought he was being nice but that's how accidents are caused. Don't do that!

Retail Establishments:
1. If the person giving me my food didn't step from behind the counter to do so he doesn't get a tip.
2. I never, ever give my phone number out. I'm not rude about it I just say "I don't give that out" and that's that. How many telemarketers' databases do you think that number would end up in?

Cell Phones:
1. I can tune out quite a bit so I don't have a problem with people being loud or obnoxious with cell phones. But I can see how lots of people would.

GAC
08-19-2006, 06:03 AM
It drives me crazy when people don't flush the toilet in public restrooms.

I try my best to not go into public restrooms. Especially for #2. Never.

I hate to see it at work too. And then they also trash the cafeterias and break areas. I wonder... do they do this at home also? Geez!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Narron's lineups yet. ;)

redsfanfalcon
08-19-2006, 09:19 AM
People that pass on a double yellow line on a hill. Just amazes me.

People that speed up to get on the interstate, and cut you off, when all they had to do was slow down a bit (when there was no one at all behind you).

Michigan drivers...need I say more?

Dom Heffner
08-19-2006, 09:54 AM
The Guy With The Never-Ending Bag of Popcorn at the Movie Theater

Maybe I'm spoiled from watching movies at home in quiet, but the last few times I've been to the movies I've sat next to the guy who has bought a bag of popcorn the size of one of those 72 QT Glad trash bags you throw your lawn clippings in.

It was an hour into the movie and that guy was still working on the popcorn- chomping his jaws, smackin his lips and worst of all: rattling that bag. It lasted nearly the whole movie. It was so bad that if I bought the soundtrack to the movie, I'd wonder where the crumpling of the bag was over the music.

traffic:
1. If it's 40 feet you're moving up just to sit longer in a traffic jam then so be it. Maybe the light cycles through but odds are you'll have sat there about as long anyway. If you're gonna sit might as well not stress over it.

This holds true if you are just sitting still, but most traffic jams creep along. If there are two or more lanes, the lane that moves fastest is the one where drivers are paying attention and have the fewest gaps. There is nothing more frustrating than being in the slower lane watching the other people pass you just because you have one of those people who can't figure that out.

Also, by leaving the gap, it invites people to change lanes in front of that person and then they put on their brakes to keep up that huge stopping distance they have to have.

Scoot up.

And Randy- feel free to use anything at your disposal when dealing with a Radio Shack clerk. They are the only company I know of who makes you give them your name and address when you buy something. You want to tell them, "I didn't place this up here for you to pack it up and ship it to me, I have a car that is big enough to carry a Tandy 12 Volt charger and a Casio keyboard."

It's almost as if cash is no longer sufficient. They should place that on the price tag of the item: "$24.95 plus your name and address."

Clerks Who Comment on What You are Buying

I don't need your review of a DVD I'm buying, I don't want you to ask me how I like the brick oven BBQ pizza from Lean Cuisine, I just want you to tell me how much I owe you (Without asking for my phone number or zip code or screaming at me when I walk in the door lol).

It's the worst when you buy pet food. You are going to hear about their sister's cats, or the one I get is, "Gee, that's a lot of food for a cat..."

Well I wasn't planning on giving it to him all at once. I buy more than one meal at a time for my feline.

In fact, I figure the more I buy, it's less trips to this store I have to make and hear the stupid comments.

If a waiter tells me I made a good choice, can I then infer that someone else in my party made a lousy choice if the waiter is silent when they ordered?

There was a clerk at Bigg's at Eastgate a long time ago who used to make comments about people's purchases by picking out two items that could be used together. If you bought a spatula and a frying pan, this genius would say something smart like, "You planning on frying something, are ya?"

He would do that during the entire purchase. Every time.

One time I placed a set of batteries and laundry detergent on the belt. Yep, he actually said, "Washing your batteries, eh?"

People Who Constantly Look At the Bright Side of Things

I realize I have a better life than 90% of the people who have ever lived, but let me get upset when the milk is stale three days before expiration. I understand this isn't the worst travesty, I realize I could have been hacked up by an axe murderer, but all of those things don't make me feel any better when I can't have the cereal I was expecting. All things are relative. We could take those poor starving kids in Africa and say, "You think 10 days is too long to wait for a meal? In my day we waited 20!!!"

Customer Service Representatives Who Blame You For the Problem With Their Product

My business was experiencing power outages everyday for two weeks- it literally closed me down.

When I called to complain, the power company represenative told me that by living in Florida, with all the lightning, I should know better to keep a generator on premises so that my business can stay up and running when the power goes out.

First of all- there was no lightning- and secondly, shouldn't the power company, since it knows it operates in Florida, have better protection against lightning than I do? I should go out and purchase a $17000 generator because the power company doesn't have a backup plan? I should spend 170 times my yearly power bill so I can be prepared?

I called the police one time to report a neighbor who was harassing me and the police officer who answered told me, "That's what you get for living in a condo."

Yeah, and if you ever get killed in the line of duty, that's what you get for being a cop.

Dom Heffner
08-19-2006, 10:08 AM
I hate to see it at work too. And then they also trash the cafeterias and break areas. I wonder... do they do this at home also? Geez!

GAC- We once had a guy who not only beached one on the front of the bowl- no small feat- but who laid one down that was so long it disappeared down the pipe. Beached and down the pipe, man, all in one.

Ordinarily, you should flush, but flushing that thing would have been like throwing a way a ten leaf clover. It sat there for over a day- people were going into look at it like they were viewing an open casket: You really didn't want to look, but you would somehow feel you were missing something if you didn't.

If there were ebay back then, I think that guy could have made a small fortune.

RBA
08-19-2006, 10:32 AM
When someone mentions something that he could've easily kept to himself instead of deliberately getting that same song stuck in other people's heads so he won't be the only one suffering. I hate when that happens. ;)

Luckily, I have a short attention span. So, I get thru a couple of lines of the song and I'm done. :D

westofyou
08-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Potty talk, bathroom talk, bowel talk, all that stuff annoys me. ;)

TeamCasey
08-19-2006, 11:08 AM

You mean right on red? You're supposed to stop.

TeamCasey
08-19-2006, 11:13 AM

I hate it when people let their dogs run free, even with invisible fence. Nothing like walking down the street and have to large dogs tear ass after you ..... even if they do stop abruptly at the road. Gives me a heart attack.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 11:18 AM
I hate it when people let their dogs run free, even with invisible fence. Nothing like walking down the street and have to large dogs tear ass after you ..... even if they do stop abruptly at the road. Gives me a heart attack.

I thoroughly agree with Roy and you; this nearly tops my "pet" peeves. Way too many stray dogs where I live to be adding domesticated dogs to the "loose dogs" equation.

I'm starting to believe a "one-dog-per-household limit" rule should be in place where I live.

Hap
08-19-2006, 11:20 AM
People who assume I have an IQ of about 76 and I enjoy line dancing and I like to beat up women and drink cheap beer and screw farm animals just because I am from a town of only 300 people.

The guy at the bar (TadBiffSkipChip Wellington Roman Numeral) last week that got mad at my friend just because my friend gave a dollar to Tad's girlfriend because Tad was getting her to make out with and dance provocatively with her smokin hot female friend. Dude, you are in a public place with dozens of other drunks. No matter how tough you think you are (he wasn't tough at all), there is always someone tougher.

People at work who think I need their help. Go away and help yourself first.

TeamCasey
08-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Speakers who delay a meeting to wait for the late people to show up.

I was there on time. I have another meeting in an hour and another one after that. Start your meetings on time.

Meetings that go over the scheduled time.

My calendar is a delicate juggling act these days. Don't screw it up.

Conference call meetings with an out of state plant that get cancelled at the last minute and no one bothers to tell you. You're sitting there for 15 minutes listening to the sounds of silence.

Ltlabner
08-19-2006, 12:44 PM
You mean right on red? You're supposed to stop.

No, not at a light. Turning from a street to another street w/o a stop sign, a driveway or business enterence.

max venable
08-22-2006, 09:27 AM
DVD's that force you to watch the previews--won't let you skip straight to the menu. :bang:

Unassisted
08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
I know someone who does the "big gap when stopped behind other cars" thing. She has asthma and does it because she is concerned about the health hazard of breathing exhaust fumes from the car in front of her. I would guess there are people who do it because of a simple aversion to exhaust fumes.

I'm all about not inconveniencing other drivers, so it annoys me when I see it happen, too. I just don't react to it anymore, since I know there are people with a legitimate reason for hangin' back.

Now that I'm picking up my high-schooler from his school of over 2K students, I'm starting to accumulate "annoying driver" stories in bulk. :p:

Roy Tucker
08-22-2006, 10:12 AM
People that leave shopping carts in the middle of a parking lot and don't return them to the cart corral.

And worse, people that don't secure the shopping cart and let it roll into another car as they blithely drive away already on their cell phone going to soccer practice ignorantly cutting people off in their Abrams M1 SUV.

Puffy
08-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Old people

TeamCasey
08-22-2006, 10:40 AM
DVD's that force you to watch the previews--won't let you skip straight to the menu. :bang:

That's when you go get a beer or snacks. :)

TeamCasey
08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I have one that I came across yesterday. People that shift down to stop, instead of using their brakes. I almost hit a guy yesterday because he was stopping and had no brake lights.

I missed him, but I did note the bumper damage on his car where he's been hit by someone else.

max venable
08-22-2006, 12:10 PM
I have one that I came across yesterday. People that shift down to stop, instead of using their brakes. I almost hit a guy yesterday because he was stopping and had no brake lights.

I missed him, but I did note the bumper damage on his car where he's been hit by someone else.
Who does that and why? To me, it seems a whole lot easier just to step on the brakes. :confused:

westofyou
08-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Who does that and why? To me, it seems a whole lot easier just to step on the brakes. :confused:
Cheaper to.... my buddy liked to think he was race car driver. wore clutches out all the time doing that.

RFS62
08-22-2006, 12:52 PM
People that leave shopping carts in the middle of a parking lot and don't return them to the cart corral.

And worse, people that don't secure the shopping cart and let it roll into another car as they blithely drive away already on their cell phone going to soccer practice ignorantly cutting people off in their Abrams M1 SUV.

No kidding. How hard is it to return the cart? The world is awash in selfish, ignorant jerks.

vaticanplum
08-22-2006, 01:02 PM
The world is awash in selfish, ignorant jerks.

If I weren't currently so devoted to Scott Hatteberg, this would be my new sig line. Maybe during the offseason.

Yachtzee
08-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Old people

Robots.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Can't stand getting behind the car with the driver who has his arm around an empty passenger side seat.

Nothing screams, "I have nowhere to go so I'm gonna take my time" more than that...

Yachtzee
08-22-2006, 01:39 PM
A note on the hand blowers in public restrooms. They may be easier on trees, but they can be very unsanitary. Everyone touches them, but not everyone washes their hands very well, so they can get covered in bacteria and other microbes. Then, when you turn them on, the stuff gets blown all over your freshly washed hands. I avoid them at all costs. If it's the only choice I have, I will sometime wipe my hands on my clothes to avoid those things.

Vaticanplum, I can sympathize with you on the Chicago public transit system. I rode the Red Line to work and back for over two years. The space thing got to me too. I would always try to "think small" when I was on the El. Some people have no concept of space. I always hated it when people refused to fold over the "Sun Times" while they were reading it on the El. The paper was designed to be folded over while reading, yet you always end up with some bozo's paper in your face because he doesn't understand that concept.

The one of other issues I had on the El were the transients who thought a rush hour El train would be a great place to catch a few Zs. I realize these people have problems, but it's pretty bad when you have someone who smells so bad taking up half a car because no one can stand to be within 10 feet of the guy.

Another issue on the El...street preachers. We used to get some pretty crazy ones in the morning on the Red Line. I used that time to read for work or rest my eyes a little before work. The last thing I wanted was some crazy lady calling me "Satan" and saying she was going to cast me out of "God's temple" because I yawned while she was preaching.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Can't stand getting behind the car with the driver who has his arm around an empty passenger side seat.

Nothing screams, "I have nowhere to go so I'm gonna take my time" more than that...
Guilty.

savafan
08-22-2006, 01:43 PM

For the record, I sometimes do this. After tearing my rotator cuff years ago, my shoulder gets sore after long periods of stressful driving. Stretching it out for a little while on the empty passenger seat helps a lot. :)

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 01:49 PM
sava, don't try and make me feel bad about this.

I'd rather be paranoid and think that everone does things to be devious...:)

Rojo
08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
How about the people who wait til they get to the counter before thinking about what they want to order. This is especially aggravating when they had ten minutes in line to decide.

Puffy
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
How bout the clerks or cashiers who stuff the bills and the coins into your hand at the same time. Today for example I held my wallet open after I paid with a 5 for a 2.14 send item (porn) and the clerk gives me the 3 dollar bills back and then quickly stuffs the change into my hand as i clearly started backwards to put the 3 dollars into my wallet. Its like they can't fathom holding onto the loose change for another 3 seconds to give me time to place the bills in the wallet. Then you have to fumble around to separate the change from the bills and hold up the line while you adjust all your crap just because of the schmuck behind the counter.

max venable
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
How about the people who wait til they get to the counter before thinking about what they want to order.
Say hello to my wife. :rolleyes:

RedsFan75
08-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok, here's one that unique to where I live. I drive by 2 schools on my way to work. 1 middle schoole and one that is a middle school and high school in the same lot of land. It's a rural area, and there's ALWAYS a line of cars at the school, as it seems very few people let their kids ride a school bus these days.

School # 1 is always busy but not too bad to get by. School #2 however is insane. The street by the school is a 2 lane with a center turn lane. No lights to allow people to enter or exit the school parking lot. There is usually a long line in the center turn lane waiting to turn into the school, while there is also a long line in the parking lot trying to get out of the school and in a lot of cases cross traffic.

My peeve, and it happens frequently every morning. Someone will stop and allow the traffic waiting to turn to go. This of course opens the flood gates and it ends up stopping traffic for several blocks, even out to the main thoroughfare clogging the 4 lane main road. A lot of times a car will stop to let someone turn and after about a dozen or so cars go pass, they don't even turn into the school but continue down the street!

Makes my drive to work here, 10 miles from my house, more stressful than when I lived near Eastgate and took 275 to Blue Ash!

But maybe it's just me!

08-22-2006, 05:19 PM
I used to date a girl who would pull up to the bank drive-up window, and then fill out het deposit ticket and endorse her check. Really held up the line. Even if she was behind another car in line she would not start anything.

paintmered
08-22-2006, 05:41 PM
People who drive 15 mph under the speed limit while yapping on their cell phone. I happens to me at least three times a week on a country road that's too busy to pass. It's 7:00 in the morning. Who could you possibly need to talk to already?

Also, left lane vigilantes and trucks who pass each other on the highway because one is traveling .5 mph faster than the other. Three miles later, the truck finally gets around. Nevermind the trailing half mile of cars held up in the process.

And my personal favorite highway pet peave: when merging, the car behind me tries to pass right when the pavement of the onramp meets the highway pavement. Then, he (usually a young guy in a "pimped" out beater and one of those noisy mufflers) stays in the right lane so now I can't merge into traffic and have to slam on my brakes so there isn't a massive pileup.

Oh, and electronics tech support people that think I know absolutely nothing about the products I'm talking to them about. Look, I'm an electrical engineer - I know more about this than you do. Please just send me the replacement part. I had one guy try to explain to me the purpose of the AC adapter once.

Last week, my hard drive in my laptop failed (a dell, btw). I had a new hard drive on my doorstep the next afternoon (a good thing). Problem is, they sent me one that was half the size than the one I had to begin with. Two hours and fifteen minutes on the phone later, I finally had the tech support convinced they sent me the wrong hard drive.

creek14
08-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Eww, y'know what I really hate?

When it's like 105 degrees, and you see a dog or child stuck in the car in a parking lot. That makes me want to pick up a shopping cart and throw it through the window so the dog/child can get out.
Makes you want to? Heck, I've done it. Twice. Well not a shopping cart, but I have this cool little escape hammer tool thing and it works really really well.

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Driving seems to be the main topic of choice. Since I ditched the office job and started driving a few months ago, I have been doing about 300-450 miles a day and I see plenty.

1. The left lane is for passing and the right lane is for slow pokes, not the other way around.

2. I drive a larger vehicle and need more stopping distance. Don't cut in front of me and then hit your brakes and assume I can stop as quickly as a car.

3. Just because my vehicle is higher than yours doesn't mean you must get around me at all costs only to slow down once you're in front of me.

4. If you see a sign that a certain lane is going to end soon and then you want to stay in that lane until the last possible moment, don't get mad if I don't let you over in front of me when you run out of lane.

5. What's so hard about figuring out when it's your turn to go at a four way stop.

6. Pedestrians downtown. You have crosswalks to walk in when you need to cross a street and you have a light that tells you when you can walk. What's so blasted difficult about that? I almost hit a pedestrian the other day and he started yelling at me like I was the one in the wrong when he was crossing the street in the middle of the block where there was no crosswalk.

Now on to things not related to driving.

1. I'm with Puffy about people handing change back. Don't give me the paper money with the coins stacked on top. I like to put them away separately. I have started dropping the coins every time a clerk does that. It's easy to make it look accidental and it's a good way to make the clerk have to go back into the register for more change and hand it to you separately.

2. The use of plural pronouns when speaking of one person. They, them, their, and theirs refer to more than one person. It's basic grammar.

3. How hard is it to have your checkbook out and the check at least partially filled out before you get to the register, especially if you've been in the line for a few minutes and had all the time in the world to do it.

4. When women use the words never or always. Men, you know what I mean.

Rojo
08-22-2006, 06:32 PM
3. How hard is it to have your checkbook out and the check at least partially filled out before you get to the register, especially if you've been in the line for a few minutes and had all the time in the world to do it.

Why are people still even writing checks?

Ltlabner
08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Just flew back in from a sales meeting. This generated some more "things that drive me nuts". These have prob already been covered.

1) People who are rookies at the security check in line. I realize not everybody flys often so there is going to be confusion. No problem at all with that. But instead of telling every person in the security check line that you've never done this before, that you think it's a real pain (because the rest of us really love the process....) and generally complaining the whole time, why don't you listen to instructions and move the line along. Yes, you need to take your belt off, yes you need to take your shoes off (at least in Cincinnati) yes, you need to take your laptop out of the case. Yes, you should be keeping an eye on your children and moving them along.

2) When it's time to board the plane, running right up to the front of the line will not get you to your destination any quicker. Wait for your "zone" or group of rows to be called and then walk up. It's ok. The plane will not leave without you.

3) When you get on the plane, there is really no cell phone conversation so important that it can NOT be intrupted for several minutes so you can manuver your bags into the overhead bin, and get situated in your seat. End your conversation prior to trying to juggle your phone, breiftcase, purse, and starbucks down the narrow isle. You will get hung up and not be able to quickly get in your seat. It holds up the rest of the people behind you.

3A) There is really no cell phone conversation so important that the plane can't leave the gate because you refuse to listen to the instruction to turn the phone off and keep blabbing away. Turn the phone off in the gate area prior to bording and get your messages when you land in a couple of hours. The world will continue to function in your absence.

3B) I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ULTRA IMPORTANT PHONE CONVERSATION. And cellphones are pretty good now, you don't have to yell. The other person can hear you, I promise.

4) If you are nervous about flying and want to talk to someone to calm your nerves, please be courtious. I'll be glad to chat and take your mind off things. But if I have a laptop on working on something, or I have my headphones on don't just start talking and force me to listen to you. I will ignore you and cut off the conversation.

5) Once the plane lands there is really no need to fire up the cellphone the second the wheels hit the ground. The world made it through your hour or two long silence. It will hold on another few minutes. I say this because.....

5A) Please don't try to wrestle your bag, purse, and coffie up the isle while yacking on your phone. See item 3 above.

6) Once the plane gets to the gate there is really no need to jump right up into the isle. This isn't a race. You will not win a prize if you get off the plane one person ahead of me. In fact, doing this slows down the process of offloading the plane and will slow you down. I understand if you need to stand up because your back/legs are hurting but if you think you are going to sneak ahead of someone else by jumping right up you are really making a mess of things.

7) If you have not been to this airport previously, PLEASE for the love of God, please do not stop exactly at the end of the jet-ramp to get your bearings and figure out where you are going. Chances are good that there are a number of people walking up the ramp right behind you and stopping will only jam them up. Simply walk a few feet past the end of the ramp and there will be plenty of signs and directions on where to go.

savafan
08-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Makes you want to? Heck, I've done it. Twice. Well not a shopping cart, but I have this cool little escape hammer tool thing and it works really really well.

No repercussions?

TeamCasey
08-23-2006, 05:48 AM
I'll add to the airport one - if you get on the people movers ...... MOVE or make way for a person to walk by you. I use that thing when I'm in a hurry.

A note on airport security - I find it a little confusing too, because each airport is different. I just try to do whatever the person in front of me does.

People who stroll and/or stop short. I call them mall walkers. It could be at a festival or any hallway. They walk together and don't let anyone by. Please recognize that I'm in a hurry and let me by.

i_heart_jason
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM

why does that NOT shock me?

and of course no repercussions. have you MET her?!?!?! she's creek. she'd even kick Adam's butt, if he got out of line.

(luh you creek)

vaticanplum
08-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Just flew back in from a sales meeting. This generated some more "things that drive me nuts". These have prob already been covered.

1) People who are rookies at the security check in line. I realize not everybody flys often so there is going to be confusion. No problem at all with that. But instead of telling every person in the security check line that you've never done this before, that you think it's a real pain (because the rest of us really love the process....) and generally complaining the whole time, why don't you listen to instructions and move the line along. Yes, you need to take your belt off, yes you need to take your shoes off (at least in Cincinnati) yes, you need to take your laptop out of the case. Yes, you should be keeping an eye on your children and moving them along.

2) When it's time to board the plane, running right up to the front of the line will not get you to your destination any quicker. Wait for your "zone" or group of rows to be called and then walk up. It's ok. The plane will not leave without you.

3) When you get on the plane, there is really no cell phone conversation so important that it can NOT be intrupted for several minutes so you can manuver your bags into the overhead bin, and get situated in your seat. End your conversation prior to trying to juggle your phone, breiftcase, purse, and starbucks down the narrow isle. You will get hung up and not be able to quickly get in your seat. It holds up the rest of the people behind you.

3A) There is really no cell phone conversation so important that the plane can't leave the gate because you refuse to listen to the instruction to turn the phone off and keep blabbing away. Turn the phone off in the gate area prior to bording and get your messages when you land in a couple of hours. The world will continue to function in your absence.

3B) I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ULTRA IMPORTANT PHONE CONVERSATION. And cellphones are pretty good now, you don't have to yell. The other person can hear you, I promise.

4) If you are nervous about flying and want to talk to someone to calm your nerves, please be courtious. I'll be glad to chat and take your mind off things. But if I have a laptop on working on something, or I have my headphones on don't just start talking and force me to listen to you. I will ignore you and cut off the conversation.

5) Once the plane lands there is really no need to fire up the cellphone the second the wheels hit the ground. The world made it through your hour or two long silence. It will hold on another few minutes. I say this because.....

5A) Please don't try to wrestle your bag, purse, and coffie up the isle while yacking on your phone. See item 3 above.

6) Once the plane gets to the gate there is really no need to jump right up into the isle. This isn't a race. You will not win a prize if you get off the plane one person ahead of me. In fact, doing this slows down the process of offloading the plane and will slow you down. I understand if you need to stand up because your back/legs are hurting but if you think you are going to sneak ahead of someone else by jumping right up you are really making a mess of things.

7) If you have not been to this airport previously, PLEASE for the love of God, please do not stop exactly at the end of the jet-ramp to get your bearings and figure out where you are going. Chances are good that there are a number of people walking up the ramp right behind you and stopping will only jam them up. Simply walk a few feet past the end of the ramp and there will be plenty of signs and directions on where to go.

Airports are where I decided that everyone on earth, no matter how shy, has an inner diva. No matter how "quiet" a person may be, put him in an airport with a phone, and he feels perfectly comfortable shouting and letting everyone in the world into his private conversation, with no thought to what's going on around him. I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I ALWAYS feel self-conscious having private conversations in public, and I am most definitely not shy. You HAVE to be aware that someone is actively listening to your conversation -- hence my diva conclusion. How do you people feel about this? Do you ever extend your cell phone conversations in public, or do you try to keep them limited, and does it bother you when other people speak loudly right next to you about things that are clearly not urgent?

Everything else you said about the airport is spot-on. There's not a place on earth where people irritate me more than the airport. Except maybe the bank.

Gainesville Red
08-23-2006, 11:07 AM
I hate when someone insists on waiting for a parking space thats ten feet closer to the grocery store.

Instead of just parking in an available space, they wait with their blinker on while someone unloads their shopping cart, gets in, puts on their seatbelt, put it in reverse and backs out. You could have been in the store already, God forbid you take an extra six steps today.

Ltlabner
08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Do you ever extend your cell phone conversations in public, or do you try to keep them limited, and does it bother you when other people speak loudly right next to you about things that are clearly not urgent?

VP,

I hate to use my cellphone in public. And I am in sales! I try to limit my conversations, move away from people so I don't bother them or they can hear me and often times will not answer a call in public until a better time.

I HATE that people seem to think they are having a really interesting conversation and that we all must absoutley hear about their dinner plans and how to get ring-around-the-collar out of dress shirts.

This new fad of having a bluetooth headset has only diven me to a new level of irritation. I am convinced that these people really do think they look cooler and more impressive with those glued to their ears. And they leave them on when in stores, walking through the airport or wherever. Again, I am convinced they do this mostly to get noticed.

dabvu2498
08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I hate when someone insists on waiting for a parking space thats ten feet closer to the grocery store.

Instead of just parking in an available space, they wait with their blinker on while someone unloads their shopping cart, gets in, puts on their seatbelt, put it in reverse and backs out. You could have been in the store already, God forbid you take an extra six steps today.
That might help counter-act the 6 dozen Krispy Kremes they're about to buy. Can't have that.

TeamSelig
08-23-2006, 11:31 AM
People that walk in through the "Exit" on the automatic doors. Go through the right side, idiot.

Red Leader
08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Today's things that are currently bothering me:

1) Pre-Season College Polls. What's the use? They haven't even played any games yet. Why favor teams early in the season. No polls should be released until the 4th week of the college season.

2) $1 coins. Our soda machine at work now says that it gives change for $5 bills. I put a $5 bill in today to get a soda and get 4 coins as change. They are all the gold $1 coins. This ain't Canada. I want bills.

Roy Tucker
08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
VP,

I hate to use my cellphone in public. And I am in sales! I try to limit my conversations, move away from people so I don't bother them or they can hear me and often times will not answer a call in public until a better time.

I HATE that people seem to think they are having a really interesting conversation and that we all must absoutley hear about their dinner plans and how to get ring-around-the-collar out of dress shirts.

This new fad of having a bluetooth headset has only diven me to a new level of irritation. I am convinced that these people really do think they look cooler and more impressive with those glued to their ears. And they leave them on when in stores, walking through the airport or wherever. Again, I am convinced they do this mostly to get noticed.

I'm the same way. I try to limit my calls, limit the duration of them, move to a quiet place, etc etc. Sll the airport observations are spot-on.

The new ear buds drive me nuts. Absolutely bananas. I keep thinking they are talking to me.

They'll come walking up an aisle at the store. It's just me and that person in the aisle. They start talking. I'm like "what? why is this person talking to me? huh?" and then just as I'm about to say something like the polite version of why are you talking to me, I realize they're on the phone.

People will be walking at the park and will come up behind us and start talking. I usually startle a bit and turn around to figure what the heck? It's an ear bud conversation talking about their yeast infection. Jeez, can you take it somewhere else?.

People seem to have no compunctions about browsing through a store looking at items alone while carrying on a idle and moronic conversation. At a very loud volume level. Or going through a checkout at a store and never breaking the cell phone conversation, completely ignoring the checkout clerk.

And the bane of other drivers is someone on their cellphone while driving. It's worse than being around a drunk driver.

I think cell phones bring out the worst in people. It seems to be a license to be an idiot. I expect Stephen Kings' "Cell" book to come true some day.

vaticanplum
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I hate it when people use "how are you?" as interchangable with hello. This is particularly midwestern and it really threw me when I moved to Chicago. "Hi, how are you, listen I've got something to tell you..."

If you want to know how I am, wait for an answer and I will tell you. If you don't care, just say hello and don't ask me how I am. I won't be insulted. I'm not going to ask you how you are if I don't care, or even if I'm doing it as a formality I'll at least wait for an answer. I still make the naive mistake of thinking that people are asking a question when they say "how are you", so I'm back trying to respond and the whole rhythm of the conversation and thus my life is thrown off.

This thread is making me more irritable than I am. :laugh: That really does bother me a bit though.

Red Leader
08-23-2006, 12:17 PM
On a related note to vaticanplum's post. I really hate how nobody says "your welcome" after someone says "thank you." Take for example the following everyday occurance: holding a door for someone. Someone holds the door for you, you say "thank you", the person holding the door NEVER says "your welcome." Well, I shouldn't say NEVER, but out of about 100 times, I bet I hear "your welcome" less than 5 times. Pay attention to it next time it happens and see if the person says "your welcome." When someone says "thank you," it's only polite to say "your welcome" in return. If someone thanks you for holding the door for them, take the 2 seconds it takes to tell them "your welcome".

Puffy
08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
I hate not getting a thank you wave when I let someone get in front of me while driving. Especially when you give them the "wave" in.

I also can't stand it when you go out of your way to hold the door for a stranger and they don't say thank you.

People who drive in the left lane and then go the speed limit.

max venable
08-23-2006, 02:26 PM
On a related note to vaticanplum's post. I really hate how nobody says "your welcome" after someone says "thank you." Take for example the following everyday occurance: holding a door for someone. Someone holds the door for you, you say "thank you", the person holding the door NEVER says "your welcome." Well, I shouldn't say NEVER, but out of about 100 times, I bet I hear "your welcome" less than 5 times. Pay attention to it next time it happens and see if the person says "your welcome." When someone says "thank you," it's only polite to say "your welcome" in return. If someone thanks you for holding the door for them, take the 2 seconds it takes to tell them "your welcome".
Would you be willing to settle for an "uh-huh" or "no problem" once in a while? I get those sometimes. Is any verbal acknowledgement okay or are you looking for a specific "you're welcome." Just wondering. :)

Ravenlord
08-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Why are people still even writing checks?
because the idiot bank thinks they sent you a check card and want $25 to send you a 'new' one.

RFS62
08-23-2006, 02:36 PM

Whenever someone says "you're welcome" to me, I usually say "thank you for welcoming my thank you".

Usually, though, I'm wandering aimlessly through a mall or airport, yammering on my cell phone through my bluetooth earbud or pushing to the front of the line somewhere and don't remember to say it.

Ltlabner
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Usually, though, I'm wandering aimlessly through a mall or airport, yammering on my cell phone through my bluetooth earbud or pushing to the front of the line somewhere and don't remember to say it.

Don't forget, "pecking out Redszone posts on your blackberry" in your list of things to-do.

Red Leader
08-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Would you be willing to settle for an "uh-huh" or "no problem" once in a while? I get those sometimes. Is any verbal acknowledgement okay or are you looking for a specific "you're welcome." Just wondering. :)

Sure. I'd prefer a "your welcome," that's the proper response when someone tells you 'thank you', but those two are more acceptable than just ignoring me and looking the other way.

MaineRed
08-23-2006, 03:23 PM
2) $1 coins. Our soda machine at work now says that it gives change for $5 bills. I put a $5 bill in today to get a soda and get 4 coins as change. They are all the gold $1 coins. This ain't Canada. I want bills.

You want a comedy show? Hand a couple of those to some 17 year old at a 7-11.

Chip R
08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
You want a comedy show? Hand a couple of those to some 17 year old at a 7-11.

I happened to get a Susan B Anthony dollar instead of a quarter a couple of months ago. I still haven't used it because I fear it won't be accepted by whomever I give it too. You can't use them in vending machines anymore, IIRC. It's almost like I lost a quarter instead of gained $.75.

guttle11
08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Getting a phone call, saying "Hello", waiting three seconds, then hearing "Hello?" on the other end.

YOU CALLED ME!! I hate telemarketers.*

*If you are a telemarketer, I only hate you when you're on the clock.

vaticanplum
08-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Getting a phone call, saying "Hello", waiting three seconds, then hearing "Hello?" on the other end.

YOU CALLED ME!! I hate telemarketers.*

*If you are a telemarketer, I only hate you when you're on the clock.

How about this: "Hi, this is Eileen calling from Sprint...???"

(pause. pause. pause.)

What are you waiting for me to do? Verify your identity? Thank you for calling me? Introduce myself? This question-and-answer concept seems awfully lost on a lot of Americans.

Rojo
08-23-2006, 05:52 PM
How about picking up the phone and the person on the other end immediately says, "Who is this?".

max venable
08-23-2006, 08:08 PM
How about picking up the phone and the person on the other end immediately says, "Who is this?".
When that happens I always respond with, "Who are you?"

Ltlabner
08-23-2006, 08:14 PM
People who refuse to speak in plain english and instead fill their speech with jargon or $10 words. I'm not talking about people with great vocabularies, I mean people who purposly try to confuse or overwhelm other people by using big or hyper-technical words.

When it becomes obvious the other person has no idea what they are talking about they pour it on even more. I guess they think it makes them sound important or perhaps they have control issues and just like the other person asking them to explain what they mean. Must make them seem important.

Either way, I have little respect for people who can't change their speech to meet the level of their audience.

letsgojunior
08-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks to Puffy I now have "She Drives Me Crazy" in my head.

MrCinatit
08-23-2006, 08:32 PM
The guy in your company meeting who takes it upon himself to play devils advocate to every conversation or point made.

Also, the guy who decides the company meeting is a great place to air his discontent with the company by asking all sorts of hard-ass questions in an effort to bust the bosses private parts.

Sales meetings are gureling enough, I don't need these charicters to make it any worse for me.

Huh - I was in a meeting just like that last week.
When we were talking about other associates taking responsibility for their other actions, this boob starts going off about his perception of the instability and unfairness of the company 401k.
When our manager left the room for a drink of water, I seriously contemplated the old "elbow to the face" move to shut the guy up.

Rojo
08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
People who refuse to speak in plain english and instead fill their speech with jargon or $10 words.

I concur unmitigatedly.

RFS62
08-23-2006, 08:47 PM
I concur unmitigatedly.

indubitably.

Falls City Beer
08-23-2006, 10:10 PM

My favorite: "You just called me." :confused:

letsgojunior
08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I just downloaded "She Drives Me Crazy."

Someone shoot me.

creek14
08-24-2006, 05:17 PM
No repercussions?
Both times I was on my phone talking to the police dispatcher. The last time the dispatcher kept telling me to wait cause the cop was only about 5 minutes away. It was a 90+ degree day and there were two kids under 2 years old in the car. Finally I told her I couldn't wait any longer. About 3 minutes after we got the kids out, the mom walked up and started to yell at us. Oh yeah, that went over well with me. And as luck would have it, that's when the cop pulled in the parking lot. She was arrested, the kids were taken by childrens services.

But I'm sure she ended up getting those kids back. :angry:

westofyou
08-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I just downloaded "She Drives Me Crazy."

Someone shoot me.
I already had it downloaded, IIRC the guys in the band are from "The Beat"

However "Good Thing" is a way better tune.

creek14
08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
I got a check in the mail yesterday for the 12 cents I overpaid on my car loan. That made me crazy.

Having my car paid off doesn't make me crazy, tho.

Falls City Beer
08-25-2006, 01:17 PM
I got a check in the mail yesterday for the 12 cents I overpaid on my car loan. That made me crazy.

Having my car paid off doesn't make me crazy, tho.

You should send them back one of those gigantic manila envelopes filled with 12 pennies.

RichRed
08-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I already had it downloaded, IIRC the guys in the band are from "The Beat"

However "Good Thing" is a way better tune.

I'm partial to "Don't Look Back" myself.

Ltlabner
08-25-2006, 02:17 PM
People who speek very softly in noisy situations. And when it becomes obvious the other person is having a hard time hearing them they don't make any effort to speek any louder.

ochre
08-25-2006, 04:38 PM
People who speek very softly in noisy situations. And when it becomes obvious the other person is having a hard time hearing them they don't make any effort to speek any louder.

what?

Ltlabner
08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
what?

Sorry, I didn't hear you....what was that?

:mooner:

cinredsfan2000
08-25-2006, 08:07 PM
2 words for you that absolutley drive me insane with rage
HAT TITLZ . What do these idiots who wear there hat/hats off to one side or the other need lessons on how to wear a hat ? Here i thought the whole wearing your hat backwords was bad enough.Here comes this stupid trend .:bang: :angry: :bang: :help: :explode: For what it's worth icant tell you why this drives me nuts.

Ltlabner
08-26-2006, 02:03 PM
The sudden trendy use of "just sayin' ".

Especially when it follows a short one or two line post. Throw just sayin' at the end and whamo.....hit send!

How about.....post a complete thought?

Dang....I'm getting very cranky as I age.

cinredsfan2000
08-26-2006, 03:35 PM

Especially when it follows a short one or two line post. Throw just sayin' at the end and whamo.....hit send!

Not sure if this has anything to do with what your saying but ive noticed that
phrase used alot on familly guy .

creek14
08-27-2006, 09:51 AM

Here at RZ, it's a Puffy, Red Leader, Raisor, Jim Coombs thing. It's okay. Really.

Just sayin. :devil:

RFS62
08-27-2006, 10:25 AM
People telling me what to do or how to live drives me crazy.

I drive an SUV a lot of the time. I'm on the cellphone a lot, and I mean a LOT, even while driving, and I use a bluetooth earbud. If I'm in a store, I'm often wandering down the aisles talking on the phone. If it freaks you out, just look the other way and mind your own damn business. It's rarely a social call, almost always business, 'cause I have a lot to do usually and I multi-task every second possible.

I live about 5 miles from the middle of town, and I'm not going to ever use public transportation. Sorry. Wish I could, but I can't. And it won't work with my job either.

Just sayin'.

Dom Heffner
08-27-2006, 11:11 AM
If it freaks you out, just look the other way and mind your own damn business.

This never bothers me unless you're being loud. I don't talk as loud to people who are with me as some people talk to on their cell phones in public. It's distracting and unneccessary, especially when the other party has a speaker right next to their ear.

I always want to walk up to these people and demonstrate how a phone works.

"See, this is the microphone, and it was actually invented so you wouldn't have to scream. In the old days people used to cusp their hands over their mouths and shout to people who were far away...this invention should eliminate shouting, not encourage it...."

RFS62
08-27-2006, 11:29 AM
This never bothers me unless you're being loud. I don't talk as loud to people who are with me as some people talk to on their cell phones in public. It's distracting and unneccessary, especially when the other party has a speaker right next to their ear.

I'll agree with that. As I said, I use a bluetooth earbud. I don't think I talk loud at all.

I heard that in Japan, people have taken to wearing those earbuds with a wire attached to them, hanging down like an antennae, just to show people that they are talking on the phone as they are walking down the street and not a crazy person talking to themselves.

Dom Heffner
08-27-2006, 11:47 AM
I'll agree with that. As I said, I use a bluetooth earbud. I don't think I talk loud at all.

I know people who shriek at the sight of a bluetooth. Like you, I think they should just ignore it. What does it matter?

I heard that in Japan, people have taken to wearing those earbuds with a wire attached to them, hanging down like an antennae, just to show people that they are talking on the phone as they are walking down the street and not a crazy person talking to themselves.

Not a bad idea. I used tot hink that all the time.

I saw an interesting study the other day where they showed that a certain percentage of cell phone conversations are fake- people are just trying to look cool. That's hilarious.

OldRightHander
08-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't have a bluetooth yet, but I talk on a hands free headset anytime I use my phone, just for the convenience of not having to hold the darn thing up to my ear all the time, but I don't think I talk too loud. If anything, I try to be mindful of those around me and keep my voice down. Cell phone talkers only get on my nerves if they're loud or taking calls in a theater or something like that.

There is something else that gets on my nerves to no end though. If you're driving in a 65 mph zone and you see a state trooper in the median, do you really need to slow down to 55 or 60 mph? It's not like you're going to get a ticket for actualy doing the limit.

dman
08-27-2006, 10:23 PM
When I go into a stall to do #2, and find that there are grown men who still are too lazy to lift the toilet seat to pee. Even worse, they'll go into the stall when there were 3 empty urinals to begin with.

Hap
08-28-2006, 09:55 AM
When I go into a stall to do #2, and find that there are grown men who still are too lazy to lift the toilet seat to pee. Even worse, they'll go into the stall when there were 3 empty urinals to begin with.

Once again, I think we've found a customized signature we can all be proud of.
;)

westofyou
08-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Even worse, they'll go into the stall when there were 3 empty urinals to begin with.

I hate urinals, hate, em won't use them if I have to. There's not one reason why I shouldn't use the stall instead. Urinals are disgusting, revolting and represent nothing better then peeing on the wall in an alley in my mind.

Rojo
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Just discovered a new one: teachers, professors, etc.. who want you to work on a group project or partner up with somebody. Invariably its a woman instructor who wants to do that.

dabvu2498
08-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Invariably its a woman instructor who wants to do that.
What that has to do with anything, I don't know...

Ltlabner
08-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Just discovered a new one: teachers, professors, etc.. who want you to work on a group project or partner up with somebody. Invariably its a woman instructor who wants to do that.

I gotta say this bugged me too, especially at the graduate level. They kept saying you have to work in teams because it reflected "the real world". And I kept saying, "I'm already in the real world and work on a team every day". (I had been in the working world for about 7 years at the time).

As best as I can remember, however, I had plenty of male instructors who required group/team work. It wasn't just women.

Rojo
08-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Its always been women with me, but beside the point, its just plain stupid.

Dom Heffner
08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Rojo, you are awesome.

When I was in school- just a few years ago- this bothered the crap out of me.

I used to ask the professor, "Are we paying group tuition, because unless any of these people is paying my tab, I'd rather work for my own grade..."

Rojo
08-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Rojo, you are awesome.

I used to ask the professor, "Are we paying group tuition, because unless any of these people is paying my tab, I'd rather work for my own grade..."

Its especially horrible when you get a little older. Invariable your teamed with some stoned 20-year olds who don't give a crap, don't do the work and look to you to organize the whole project.

You're welcome!

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Rojo, you are awesome.

Right on, brother. I feel the same way!:beerme:

Puffy
08-30-2006, 11:17 AM
People telling me what to do or how to live drives me crazy.

I drive an SUV a lot of the time. I'm on the cellphone a lot, and I mean a LOT, even while driving, and I use a bluetooth earbud. If I'm in a store, I'm often wandering down the aisles talking on the phone. If it freaks you out, just look the other way and mind your own damn business. It's rarely a social call, almost always business, 'cause I have a lot to do usually and I multi-task every second possible.

I live about 5 miles from the middle of town, and I'm not going to ever use public transportation. Sorry. Wish I could, but I can't. And it won't work with my job either.

Just sayin'.

:laugh:

SteelSD
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
People at work who hoard information. Ticks me off to no end.

Had one instance recently where, after multiple requests for information from one of two people working on a training project, I finally had to go to the second person (who works remotely) for it. Problem is that by the time I got it, it was too late to fix the massive issues created by the first person's "suggestions" without trashing every one of those suggestions.

If you get the info you need early (when you requested it), you can "nudge" them in the right direction. Barring that, your only alternative is to forcefully take them out of the loop because there isn't enough time to get them on the same page and the end result pretty much eliminates their entire "contribution" thus far.

So either the staff gets sub-optimal training or I'm going to tick off that "contributor" on multiple levels. Easy choice, but it should never have to go down like that and I can't figure out why people just can't share the freakin' information. Well...scratch that. I know WHY they won't share it. I just don't understand the mentality on a fundamental level.

Dom Heffner
09-01-2006, 11:52 PM
People who constantly scream at players during sporting events. Especially local sporting events like knothole games.

Hey batterbatterbatter....sawing!!!batter!!!!...

Nice hustle!!! (On a base on balls, this really gets me. There are no extra points awarded for running out a free pass- there is no such category as "avg time to first base on walk" on the back of a baseball card).

I wish someone would take a different approach. They should still support their child or husband but with a little pinch of negativity tossed in.

Instead of "Good eye, good eye," someone should yell, "If you would have swung at that pitch, I would have taken your a** down to Lenscrafter's."

"That was such a lousy pitch that if you hadn't hit a homerun, I would have let the Amelia High School third period shop class teach you something about hitting..."

"You better hustle, baby, because you are so slow they could throw you out on a groundball to the concession stand..."

Can I say "just sayin" here? Or would that be annoying?

Ltlabner
09-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Just had this happen yesterday and it reminded me of one.

You accidently dial the wrong number when calling someone's cell. You hear the voice mail message and quickly realized you screwed up. You hang up and redial and go on your way.

About an hour later you get a call, "you called my cell phone". If you are like me I've long since forgotten the mis-dialed number from earlier in the day so I have no idea who this person is and what they are talking about. Once you get a grasp of the situation, you have to explain what happened and they act a bit startled. "Ummmm.....ok" they reply somewhat suspiciously. As if somehow you are pulling one over on them.

I see weird numbers from time to time on my cell. If they didn't feal it was important enough to leave a message I'm not going to waste my time chasing them down.

dman
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
I see weird numbers from time to time on my cell. If they didn't feal it was important enough to leave a message I'm not going to waste my time chasing them down.

This is O.K. If you see weird numbers on your spouse's cell phone, then there's a problem.:thumbdown

savafan
09-11-2006, 11:44 PM
I hate urinals, hate, em won't use them if I have to. There's not one reason why I shouldn't use the stall instead. Urinals are disgusting, revolting and represent nothing better then peeing on the wall in an alley in my mind.

Amen WOY...amen!

Dom Heffner
09-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Alright- a new one.

I am going to catch heck for this, I know, but.....

People talk about a sense of entitlement. That can be found nowhere- and I mean nowhere- like it is with smokers and their smoke breaks in the work place.

I was a call center manager for a few years and all our employess were entitled to about a half hour of breaks in addition to their lunch break.

All the smokers on my team couldn't understand this and always took more than the alloted time. Always.

My girlfriend manages a salon and complains all the time about the same thing.

My very own office has this problem now.

The old team members used to tell me that they should get extra time to smoke, simply because it is habit forming.

Well, gee, I also have some people on the team who love to work crossword puzzles...maybe they can go outside and sit for an extra 15 minutes or so a day to do those....maybe we can have the quilting club, too, pick out a spot by the door and work on some afghans for the house....

If anyone can explain why smokers should get extra paid breaks, let me know...maybe I'm missing something. :)

NJReds
09-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Alright- a new one.

People talk about a sense of entitlement. That can be found nowhere- and I mean nowhere- like it is with smokers and their smoke breaks in the work place.

If anyone can explain why smokers should get extra paid breaks, let me know...maybe I'm missing something. :)

I agree. I used to work in midtown Manhattan. Our offices were at the top of a fairly large building, and we had notoriously slow elevators. When smokers took a break, it was 15 minutes, minimum. Many took at least two breaks a day...some took more.

Rojo
09-21-2006, 03:43 PM
I smoke and I break as often as I want. Thank God, I don't have the stopwatchers anymore.

Ltlabner
09-21-2006, 05:43 PM
I agree. I used to work in midtown Manhattan. Our offices were at the top of a fairly large building, and we had notoriously slow elevators. When smokers took a break, it was 15 minutes, minimum. Many took at least two breaks a day...some took more.

I worked my way through university as a cook. This drove me nuts. If I went and stood in the corner a manager would quickly shoo me away and back to work. Now....if I had been holding a cig that would have been a totally different story. Then I could have lounged around for 3 or 4 minutes at a pop and there would have been no problem.

I agree totally that smokers should smoke (1) before work (2) at lunch (3) after work. If you are an hourly worker the list would include (4) during an official break. Otherwise tough luck.

Smokers who take multipule smoke breaks a day are just as bad as the office loafer who spends extra time at the coffie pot, in the toilet or on the phone making personal calls.

I guess the real issue is that goofing off on smoke breaks is somehow acceptable while other forms of goofing off are not acceptable. Also some smokers act as if it's their God given right to take multipule smoke breaks as if somehow that's a normal business practice - that really bugs me.

A smoker who takes smoke breaks but otherwise is an engine of productivity isn't so annoying. It's the smoker who demands their breaks in addition to personal business, surfing the net, etc.

Ltlabner
09-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I spend a lot of time in hotels.

The number of people who don't realize that the walls are paper thin is stunning.

People talking loudly in the hallway. Letting the door slam shut. Walking back and forth like a thundering elephant so the person below you thinks the celing is going to collapse. Having the TV volume set on "elderly" so that I can hear it 3 rooms down. People on a cell phone, inside the hotel room, talking very loudly.

All very common and very annoying.

Doesn't matter if I stay in the Crown Plaza or the Holliday Inn Express. People get in a hotel and lose their minds.

Note: The Crown Plaza business floor is usually pretty quiet now that I think about it.

ochre
09-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Doesn't matter if I stay in the Crown Plaza or the Holliday Inn Express. People get in a hotel and loose their minds.

I keep my mind pretty loose all the time... :)

zombielady
09-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Alright- a new one.

The old team members used to tell me that they should get extra time to smoke, simply because it is habit forming.

Well, gee, I also have some people on the team who love to work crossword puzzles...maybe they can go outside and sit for an extra 15 minutes or so a day to do those....maybe we can have the quilting club, too, pick out a spot by the door and work on some afghans for the house....

On my team, we broke our breaks into 3 tens instead of 2 fifteens. I even broke mine into four 7 minutes breaks, occasionally. It never takes the full 15 to smoke, 8 minutes (including travel time) was my longest smoke break.

We also crocheted afghans between calls :p:

ochre
09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
We also crocheted afghans between calls :p:
Doing your part in the war on terror! :)

OldRightHander
09-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Here's another one that happened to me yesterday and that happens fairly often. You're behind a slow car in the middle lane and you're watching the left lane for an opening so you can get over and pass the slow car. You have your turn signal on so everyone behind you can see that you're going to change lanes as soon as you have an opening. Then the very moment there is enough space, the moron behind you shoots over there and passes you and the slow person in front of you and then you have to wait a while for another opening to try to get over. What happened to courtesy?

Yachtzee
09-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Depending on where you work, some of those smokers have to make that time up. Having worked in places that track your performance based on "billable hours", things like smoke breaks and lunch don't count. You have to make that time up, which is especially difficult when they require you to work 45 hours a week. Add on an hour commute each way and that can make for a long day at work.

When I smoked, I discovered that I was spending over 12 hours a day in a normal week either at, going to or coming home from work. Having just gotten married, I really didn't like spending so much time at work and not enough time at home. I quit smoking was so that I could leave work earlier to see my new bride.

KittyDuran
09-23-2006, 11:29 PM
[There is something else that gets on my nerves to no end though. If you're driving in a 65 mph zone and you see a state trooper in the median, do you really need to slow down to 55 or 60 mph? It's not like you're going to get a ticket for actualy doing the limit.But "they" don't slow down... "they" slam on the brakes to get down to 55 or 60 mph...:p:

dman
09-23-2006, 11:43 PM
I hate it when they drive past me when I'm in the median and then stare at me like we've been lifelong pals. Or when I stop a car and clearly see that the driver wasn't wearing their seatbelt, I then see them reach for their seatbelt, and when I question them about it the response is always "I just took it off, didn't you see me?" For Pete's sake people

And last but not least, when I ask for a driver's license and get handed an FOP card or a military I.D. When I ask for a license, I want just that and nothing else. Military folk are getting real bad for this anymore, and it's kinda' disappointing. It's almost like they are being encouraged to break the law.

I do feel bad for you motorists in the left lane when unwitty motorists ahead of you drop down to 50-55 just because I'm there. When they do stuff like that it makes for an even more unsafe condition than what existed already and this will make me take a harder look at that person.

zombielady
09-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Doing your part in the war on terror! :)

Everyone has to do their part :p:

The thing that gets to me is when the mini van on the road next to you has about 12 children standing and walking around, rather than sitting in their seatbelts. And... There's a lady who lives here, who lets her 3 year old (or younger) steer her SUV in the apartment parking lot. Standing on her lap, no seatbelt. That drives me crazy.

Red Leader
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I hate when you are in the left turn lane, waiting to turn across 2 lanes of traffic and the person in the closest lane to you, going the opposite way, stops short and waves you on to take the turn. It's usually an SUV that you can't see around. They haven't even looked in their rearview mirror to see if any traffic is coming in the far lane, they just wave you on.

Dude, just get your big boat out of the freaking way and I'll decide if I want to turn or not. You're not the traffic cop just because you stopped and created an opening. Thanks for trying to be courteous, but you won't be cited for waving me on if I go and get in a head on collision.

Ltlabner
09-25-2006, 02:24 PM
I hate when you are in the left turn lane, waiting to turn across 2 lanes of traffic and the person in the closest lane to you, going the opposite way, stops short and waves you on to take the turn. It's usually an SUV that you can't see around. They haven't even looked in their rearview mirror to see if any traffic is coming in the far lane, they just wave you on.

Dude, just get your big boat out of the freaking way and I'll decide if I want to turn or not. You're not the traffic cop just because you stopped and created an opening. Thanks for trying to be courteous, but you won't be cited for waving me on if I go and get in a head on collision.

Along the same lines. You pull into a 4 way stop and before you know it, the #2 person is wildly waving you to go despite the fact that it's his turn, not yours. Thank's for trying to be nice, I guess, but who died and left you lord of the 4-way stop? Especally since his hi-jinks are actually gumming up the works and making the stop work less effeciently.

Typically what happens is the #2 person starts waving you on. It takes you a second to realize what he's doing since it's his turn. Then you have to take another second or two to look both ways to make sure that the #3 person and the new #1 person aren't line jumping and comming through the intersection.

So after this delay you decide to take advantage of this annyoing trafic cops direction and just as you drepress the gas, he zooms into the intersection and gives you a nasty look.

Lots of times I'll just sit and stare at them until they go or someone jumps in line and goes.

Dom Heffner
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Alright- here's another one.

Restaurants that make a mystery out of which restroom is for men and women.

If I really have to go, I don't need to take an extra 10 seconds to figure out what a bloke or any word that is other than standard procedure.

I was at a place last night and literally had to sit and think about it for a few moments....that's awful.

Ltlabner
10-18-2006, 06:25 PM
You stop at a filling station to use the mens room. When you get to the mens room there is someone standing outside waiting. So you wait a bit and the person in the bathroom comes out and the person in front of you goes in.

And you wait....and wait....and wait.....and wait....and wait. Now, this guy knows you are waiting but I guess he'd rather sit and read the paper a bit.

Come on pal...who wants to hang out in a gas station bathroom anyway.

Coffeybro
10-19-2006, 08:29 AM
People who fail to yield when getting onto a highway from an onramp. Yesterday I was passing an on ramp with cars behind me and to the left of me while doing 75 in a 65 when this guy comes from no where down the ramp and jumps in front of me. I had to slam on my breaks not to hit him when he slows down. Before I can even honk at him he has his hand out the window fliping me off. :angry:

Dom Heffner
11-02-2006, 04:17 PM
A few new ones to add:

Rebates.

Oh, how I loathe the rebate. Look- if it is so easy to get and "all I have to do" is mail in a bunch of paperwork, then just take the rebate amount off the price and youmail it in and not me. I shouldn't have to let a company use my money interest free for two months to get a lower price.

It's like I'm suddenly a loanshark, with the only catch being they never send my money back to me:

"We received your request for a rebate but you don't qualify because you didn't hop on one leg long enough."

I cancelled an order with Home Depot the other day when they offered to give me free delivery for a microwave- something that would have fit into the back of my truck- because they made me pay $65 for a delivery fee that they would send me back 2 months later. Sorry, jerks. If it's free, then why do I have to pay you a dime? When I canceled the order, the clerk said, "But you get it back..."

Well then why do you need the money? It seems like a pointless exercise to give you money you are just going to turn around and send back to me.

They probably keep all of this money in an interest bearing account and then write refund checks two months later, so they continually have a few hundred thousand in the bank earning interest. What a***holes.

Also- hate the blog. No offense Edskin, I like you, but most blogs are like real editorial columns minus an editor, grammar, a point, or content even remotely interesting. People without journalistic training starting a blog is like me opening up my own surgery shop.

If you've ever read one of Harry Knowles' movie reviews from "Ain't It Cool News," you know exactly what I'm talking about here. Painful.

Here's a tip: I don't care about you. Your opinion, yes, but you, no. There's a reason editorials are only 400 words long. They contain the opinion of the writer, but they don't contain where they went to school, why chocolate is their favorite flavor, their favorite Star Wars memories, their uncle who inspired them to write, blah, blah, blah. Everything's an anecdote with these guys.

Does Roger Ebert put us through such nonsense?

This sounds harsh, I know, but there are a million websites, so why would anybody spend 45 minutes reading Joe Smith's blog about his background that has formed his opinions of the New York Giants?

If you've never read a Harry Knowles review, do yourself a disservice and go read one just so you'll never do it again. It's not even "so bad it's good," but you'll know what I'm talking about if you don't already.

Like with most bloggers you want to scream, "Get to the point!!!!"

Puffy
11-02-2006, 04:32 PM
When chicks don't put out on the first date.

:evil:

Yachtzee
11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Voice activated phone systems that (a) won't accept entries from the keypad and (b) won't give you an option to speak to a real person.

vaticanplum
11-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Voice activated phone systems that (a) won't accept entries from the keypad and (b) won't give you an option to speak to a real person.

Julie the Talking Amtrak Computer even clicks her tongue when she's thinking or waiting and sighs when she can't understand you. I can't tell you how many times I've almost reached through the phone and strangled her computerized neck. When she works, though, she's hilarious.

Yachtzee
11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Julie the Talking Amtrak Computer even clicks her tongue when she's thinking or waiting and sighs when she can't understand you. I can't tell you how many times I've almost reached through the phone and strangled her computerized neck. When she works, though, she's hilarious.

When you start yelling at her, does she start saying "LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU LA LA LA"?

OldRightHander
11-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Most phone menus get on my nerves, but the other day I found one that really ticked me off. I knew I was going to have to iron something out with a particular company over the phone during the day, so I put their number on a speed dial button so I could call them from my van while driving around. That was a mistake. The darn thing told me to enter my account number to verify my id and it wouldn't let me go any farther without entering the number. I couldn't find any option to get to a person and them give him my number. If I didn't enter anything for a while, the computer voice would come back on and tell me that I hadn't entered anything yet. I wasn't about to try to key in numbers on my phone while going down I-65 at 70 mph. I eventually had to pull over just so I could enter enough numbers to get a person on the phone and then pull back out. So if there is going to be a menu, I would prefer there be a voice menu as well.

Ltlabner
11-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I cancelled an order with Home Depot the other day when they offered to give me free delivery for a microwave- something that would have fit into the back of my truck- because they made me pay $65 for a delivery fee that they would send me back 2 months later. Sorry, jerks. If it's free, then why do I have to pay you a dime? When I canceled the order, the clerk said, "But you get it back..."

Well then why do you need the money? It seems like a pointless exercise to give you money you are just going to turn around and send back to me.

They probably keep all of this money in an interest bearing account and then write refund checks two months later, so they continually have a few hundred thousand in the bank earning interest. What a***holes.

Yea...how dare they try to make some money! I mean gasp...who would have thought a business would actually try to make money. Of all the nerve.

Seems to me the people who aren't smart enough to figure out they are the ones giving out an interest free loan are the ones who are the jerks...not the business. But that's just me.

Dom Heffner
11-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Yea...how dare they try to make some money! I mean gasp...who would have thought a business would actually try to make money. Of all the nerve.

Making money on an exchange of goods, yes. Making money just to hold it for a few months- and to then make customers jump through hoops they know most cannot get through is shameless.

Surely you see that.

Seems to me the people who aren't smart enough to figure out they are the ones giving out an interest free loan are the ones who are the jerks...not the business. But that's just me.

Wow. So if I agree to a deal offered by the store, I'm the jerk?

This is great: blame the customer, in all cases, those guys wanting to make money are just trying get some cash, albeit shadily.

You know- capitalism is fantastic, but perhaps the lesson learned from the above post is "know when to swing to its defense and when not to."

What Home Depot did was say that I could have free delivery, and then made me pay for it, with the promise of refunding my money.

That is not an honest business practice. I'm paying for something that is free.

Using your logic, people who poison Halloween candy aren't jerks, only the people who eat it are. They should have checked it for poison.

Your defense of this is amazing. Apparently it's a legitimate business practice unless I agree to it, then it's bad and I'm the jerk for agreeing to it.

Ltlabner
11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
What Home Depot did was say that I could have free delivery, and then made me pay for it, with the promise of refunding my money.

That is not an honest business practice. I'm paying for something that is free.

Using your logic, people who poison Halloween candy aren't jerks, only the people who eat it are. They should have checked it for poison.

Your defense of this is amazing. Apparently it's a legitimate business practice unless I agree to it, then it's bad and I'm the jerk for agreeing to it.

HD offered the delivery and then at some point they asked you for the money upfront (with the promise of a refund later) no? Seems to me this was your opportunity to say, "no thanks" (and you wisely used your brain and declined this "wonderfull" offer). I don't see how that is shady in the least. They made an offer, the terms were clear and gave you the chance to decline it.

Companies make offers to consumers all the time, most with the aim of making said company some money. Some offers are good, some are bad, and all favor the business. That's how the world works. I'm suprised that you think you get anything for "free" in this world.

No, people who poison Halloween candy are criminals. Last I checked, it wasn't illeagal to be in business.

Wow. So if I agree to a deal offered by the store, I'm the jerk?

You are not a jerk if you accept any offer from a company. However, if you agree to a bad deal offered by a company, and then blame the company instead of yourself, then I think the problem doesn't lie with the company.

GoGoWhiteSox
11-03-2006, 01:23 AM

If I really have to go, I don't need to take an extra 10 seconds to figure out what a bloke or any word that is other than standard procedure.

I was at a place last night and literally had to sit and think about it for a few moments....that's awful.
Oh boy, I've been in places like that before.

Another thing I don't like are people who don't know the concept of using turn signals. I SWEAR I see more people NOT using their turn signals than people who do on the highway.

Also, people in their gigantic SUV's trying to push me up the road when I'm in the middle lane. It seems like a lot of people who drive SUV's (not all of them) don't know the concept of using the left lane (aka "the fast lane") to pass. Hey idiot, I'm already going about 70-75 MPH. If you want to pass me, then just go into damn left lane and pass me already. There's no need to ride my butt for 20 miles, because you're not going to push me out of the middle lane. Like pushing me out of the way will give them their only satisfaction for that day. :thumbdown :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

GAC
11-04-2006, 12:34 PM

Ours is the one with wall urinals. ;)

But I do like the men's bathrooms with diaper changing stations.... yea right! :lol:

And I hate bathrooms that ONLY have the hand air blows. Daggonit! I want a paper towel dispenser.

And those new fangled urinals/toilets that have the flushing photo sensor. I see all these guys waving their arms all around these things trying to get them to flush.

I mean c'mon! It's bad enough to try and train men to even flush, so don't make it harder on us! ;)

TeamCasey
11-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Along the same lines. You pull into a 4 way stop and before you know it, the #2 person is wildly waving you to go despite the fact that it's his turn, not yours. Thank's for trying to be nice, I guess, but who died and left you lord of the 4-way stop? Especally since his hi-jinks are actually gumming up the works and making the stop work less effeciently.

I'll wave someone through when we both arrive at the 4 way stop at the same time and it isn't clear who's turn it is. Defensive driving in my book.

4 way stop question: Do cars go in clockwise order or in order of arrival?

TeamCasey
11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Also, people in their gigantic SUV's trying to push me up the road when I'm in the middle lane. It seems like a lot of people who drive SUV's (not all of them) don't know the concept of using the left lane (aka "the fast lane") to pass. Hey idiot, I'm already going about 70-75 MPH. If you want to pass me, then just go into damn left lane and pass me already. There's no need to ride my butt for 20 miles, because you're not going to push me out of the middle lane. Like pushing me out of the way will give them their only satisfaction for that day. :thumbdown :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I don't brake when that happens, but I take my foot off the gas and slow down gradually. Eventually, they get the hint and pass.

Ltlabner
11-04-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't brake when that happens, but I take my foot off the gas and slow down gradually. Eventually, they get the hint and pass.

Someone previously posted that they spray the windshield washers for a long time until the person glued to their bumper backs off. I tried it reciently and it worked like a charm. What made it extra funny was that the person behind me was on a motorcycle.

OldRightHander
11-04-2006, 06:50 PM

They either tailgate you, or worse, pass you on the right when the left lane is open. What part of "pass on the left" do they not understand? The other day I had a tailgater who was being pretty obnoxious and I reached into my cooler next to my seat and pulled out a tomato that I was intending to eat later for lunch when I had some downtime. Instead I just lobbed it out my window and was rewarded with the vision in my mirror of it hitting square in the middle of my follower's windshield. The last thing I saw of him he was backing off and using his wipers.

oneupper
11-05-2006, 07:54 AM

I'll jump in on the rebate/debate. I use rebates A LOT.

I know I'm giving them an interest free loan...but THAT is not where they make their money. It's been documented that 40% of rebate claims are denied, usually for some technicality. Rebate processing companies actually ADVERTISE their rejection rates to get get business from manufacturers and retailers.

I have a 98% rebate recovery rate. I've had to call several times to "remind" these guys about the rebates (I keep a spreadsheet with my oustanding rebates) and have had to file claims with the BBB to get my rebates honored.

The one's I've "lost" have claimed that I didn't send the "original" UPC bar codes and want them again (which I obviously can't do). Being a He-said, she-said situation...it's hard to win, unless you take them to court (I'm tempted).

GAC
11-05-2006, 08:50 AM
When we bought some of our appliances from Lowes they had numerous rebate forms on them. One of them was a rebate for the $50 delivery charge. So I filled out the rebate form and sent it in w/ a copy of my receipt.

They sent me a letter back saying that because I didn't send them the ORIGINAL copy of the receipt I didn't qualify for the rebate. I'm one who checks and double checks everything when it comes to forms and paperwork. Nowhere did it say that I had to send them the original.

I called them and let them know that... basically got the run around from the phone rep and that if I go to this website and fill out this "appeal" form and also download a new rebate form and fill it out, they will look at it.

I told them that for $50 it ain't worth the trouble; but that now that I know all the hoops you have to jump through, I'll think twice when a Lowes offers a store rebate.

I like rebates too. But I don't let it be the driving influence in WHY I make a purchase. Especially with appliances. I'm more concerned with prchasing a quality product. That way, if something happens with the rebate, I'm still satisfied with my purchase.

And we still got back a total of $250 from the other rebate forms we submitted. We bought those Maytag Neptune front loading washer/dryer. Man they are nice (and very efficient).

Yachtzee
11-05-2006, 09:09 AM
The only place where rebates catch my attention is at CompUSA. Because my sister works there, I can get stuff at cost there, plus any rebates they offer. They're nice enough to automatically print off the rebate forms and multiple originals of my receipt so that I usually just need to cut the bar code off of the box, attach the form and the receipt, and mail it away.

Oneupper and GAC, one way to cut off their monkey business when they say they didn't get stuff is to photocopy everything before you mail it. If I'm mailing in a rebate, I'll head down to the post office with the letter unsealed. They have a copy machine there, so I just arrange my items on the machine, drop in the $.07 or whatever the going rate for copies happens to be, and I have a document of what I actually mailed them. That way, if they later try to claim I didn't send them something, I can fax them the photocopies of what I did send. Usually stops them in their tracks right there.

oneupper
11-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Oneupper and GAC, one way to cut off their monkey business when they say they didn't get stuff is to photocopy everything before you mail it. If I'm mailing in a rebate, I'll head down to the post office with the letter unsealed. They have a copy machine there, so I just arrange my items on the machine, drop in the $.07 or whatever the going rate for copies happens to be, and I have a document of what I actually mailed them. That way, if they later try to claim I didn't send them something, I can fax them the photocopies of what I did send. Usually stops them in their tracks right there.

I save the .07. I scan everything into the computer. I can the print or fax as needed...but it still didn't help me with the "send the original twice" scam. BTW, once it was by CompUSA (one of their rebate operators).

I now have the same problem with some miles I'm requesting from United.
I sent in the paperwork (and original boarding passes). Request was denied (for a different reason). I appealed and they replied for me to send everyting (including ORIGINAL boarding passes) again. I sent the case to the BBB.

Yachtzee
11-05-2006, 09:41 AM
I save the .07. I scan everything into the computer. I can the print or fax as needed...but it still didn't help me with the "send the original twice" scam. BTW, once it was by CompUSA (one of their rebate operators).

I now have the same problem with some miles I'm requesting from United.
I sent in the paperwork (and original boarding passes). Request was denied (for a different reason). I appealed and they replied for me to send everyting (including ORIGINAL boarding passes) again. I sent the case to the BBB.

I did hear that there was a website that let you make your own boarding passes. ;) But I think the feds took it down this past week.

Ltlabner
11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
My guess is this has already been mentioned but I'm lazy and don't want to re-read 10 pages of complaints (many of which are mine!).

People who feal it neccessary to drive 35-40mph on the highway when it is raining. I know the visibility is decreased and it's wise to slow down, but must they crawl along this slow? Creates more of a hazzard than reduced visibility or hydroplaning.

Red in Chicago
11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
here's one that i encountered yesterday at costco...while standing in line, the woman who was currently being rung up at the register was on her cell phone...the cashier had completed scanning all of her merchandise and she's not paying any attention to him as he waits for her to pay...she continues talking, and fumbling through her purse digging for gold...this goes on for several minutes...the cashier and the bagger were both getting impatient, but of course wouldn't say anything to the lady...not once did she say i'm sorry or offer any type of excuse...

after what seemed like almost 10 minutes, i had enough...i yelled out "get off the phone lady...i don't have all day to wait for you"...the lady gave me a quick side eyed glance and finally hung up and paid the guy...despite yelling at her, it still took her another minute to complete the transaction...the cashier and the bagger both looked at me with such joy for yelling at her...when i got up to pay for my stuff, i did apologize to them for yelling, but they both said she deserved it...i really felt bad for yelling, but come on, you know when you get in line to have your card and your money ready...no excuse for being on the cell phone and ignoring everything else that's going on around you...it's not about you lady...wake up!!! oh, now i'm aggrevated again, just thinking about it...

Ltlabner
11-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Red In Chicago,

You could have a whole new thread there:
"Things that Drive You Crazy: Cell Phone Edition"

GAC
11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Anti-theft, anti-tamper proof product sealing. I mean c'mon! It's getting ridiculous. The way they seal DVDs in the heat wrap and then the security tape all over them.

My son bought a toy action figure at WalMarts the other day, and they had this thing tie-wrapped in all over the place that AFTER I got the sealed hard plastic cover off, which was a chore in itself, I thought the tie-wraps wasn't as much for anti-theft as it was from keeping him from escaping from the packaging and making a run for it.

But nothing is as worse as when you're sick with the flu, and you're trying to open those sealed package of tablets that have the dotted line that says "open here", as if it's a simple task.

Redsfan08
11-15-2006, 08:55 PM
old women driving

remdog
11-15-2006, 11:43 PM
But nothing is as worse as when you're sick with the flu, and you're trying to open those sealed package of tablets that have the dotted line that says "open here", as if it's a simple task.

That's referred to as 'Adult-Proof Packaging'. Kids get into 'em fine though. :laugh:

Rem

Roy Tucker
11-16-2006, 07:43 AM
I hate people that take the last cup of coffee from the office coffee pot and don't make a new pot.

I really hate it when I make a pot, go to get a cup, and the meeting in the conference room decides that the fresh pot of coffee sounds like a good idea and they take the whole thing.

Or when someone comes in with a 48 oz. mug, decides the coffee looks good, and fills their whole mug while you stand there watching. And then says "whoops, looks like we need more".

Or when someone can't wait for the pot to finish and tries to slip their cup under the drip thing to get an early fill and ends up making a big wet mess. And then walks away.

:bang:

GAC
11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I hate people that take the last cup of coffee from the office coffee pot and don't make a new pot.

I really hate it when I make a pot, go to get a cup, and the meeting in the conference room decides that the fresh pot of coffee sounds like a good idea and they take the whole thing.

Or when someone comes in with a 48 oz. mug, decides the coffee looks good, and fills their whole mug while you stand there watching. And then says "whoops, looks like we need more".

Or when someone can't wait for the pot to finish and tries to slip their cup under the drip thing to get an early fill and ends up making a big wet mess. And then walks away.

:bang:

http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.media/coffee.gif

vaticanplum
11-16-2006, 05:15 PM

You can always tell which lucky, lucky office workers have experience working in bars/restaurants, because they will never do this. The good ones know that leaving an empty coffee pot on a hot burner will cause it to burn, stink, and possibly crack. They either make a new pot or turn off the burner.

Tip your waitress, thanks.

Ltlabner
11-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Parents who seem oblivious to how loud their children are in resturants. I'm not even talking about screaming and running amok. But some parents can't seem to recoginize the ambient level of noise and keep their children within it. If you are the loudest table in the resturant, you should be embearesed, not oblivious.

The kid just chatters away..on and on...blah blah balh. Mommy, why is the sky blue. Mommy, I want chicken strips. Wheeeeee! Every once in a while one of the parent meakly utters, "now Dakota, use your inside voice" almost applogetically.

The other irritating issue is that they let the kids chatter on and on and never stop making noise while the parents talk to each other. Here's a radical idea, why not engage them in the conversation a bit? Or bring along some coloring books? Or tell (not ask) them to hush up. Kids need to be kids, and be allowed to make noise, blabber away about nothing or generally just be themselves. But why do so many people think a public resturant is the place to do that?

Urrrrghhh

vaticanplum
11-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Parents who seem oblivious to how loud their children are in resturants. I'm not even talking about screaming and running amok. But some parents can't seem to recoginize the ambient level of noise and keep their children within it. If you are the loudest table in the resturant, you should be embearesed, not oblivious.

The kid just chatters away..on and on...blah blah balh. Mommy, why is the sky blue. Mommy, I want chicken strips. Wheeeeee! Every once in a while one of the parent meakly utters, "now Dakota, use your inside voice" almost applogetically.

The other irritating issue is that they let the kids chatter on and on and never stop making noise while the parents talk to each other. Here's a radical idea, why not engage them in the conversation a bit? Or bring along some coloring books? Or tell (not ask) them to hush up. Kids need to be kids, and be allowed to make noise, blabber away about nothing or generally just be themselves. But why do so many people think a public resturant is the place to do that?

Urrrrghhh

My entire family is guilty of this. They are extremely loud. Italian blood and there are a ton of them; it's not a good mix, and naturally they all talk at once too. I often have to hold the phone away from my ear when a family member is speaking at "normal" volume. A bunch of them in a restaurant, and it's a disaster.

I've tried to break myself of this and have been largely successful, I think, but when I get together with them it's impossible not to join in if you want to be heard at all.

By the way I love reading these, it's almost as good as a "what happened to you today?" thread. ;)

GAC
11-16-2006, 08:28 PM
When our kids were little we didn't know what eating out was. We refused to do it.. We just threw a slab of meat into the crib.

As for the coffee thing. I've pretty much cut caffeine out of my diet. I had to for personal health reasons. But working 3rd shift I still have a cup prior to going into work.

But I can't drink coffee from places like Starvin' Marvin and other Quik stop places. I understand why people do though. It gets you vibrating right off the bat.

Yachtzee
11-16-2006, 11:00 PM
My entire family is guilty of this. They are extremely loud. Italian blood and there are a ton of them; it's not a good mix, and naturally they all talk at once too. I often have to hold the phone away from my ear when a family member is speaking at "normal" volume. A bunch of them in a restaurant, and it's a disaster.

I've tried to break myself of this and have been largely successful, I think, but when I get together with them it's impossible not to join in if you want to be heard at all.

By the way I love reading these, it's almost as good as a "what happened to you today?" thread. ;)

The one side of my family is German. We're pretty quiet until you add beer, then we get to be loud talkers who love to debate and solve the world's problems. My other side is part Scottish, so they can get pretty loud too. In Germany and Austria, they speak at a low register outdoors but get much more animated sitting around a table eating and drinking. On the other hand, you can hear American Tourists all the way down at the other end of a crowded street, but when you meet them at the beer hall, you have to tell them to speak up.

vaticanplum
11-16-2006, 11:05 PM
On the other hand, you can hear American Tourists all the way down at the other end of a crowded street, but when you meet them at the beer hall, you have to tell them to speak up.

:laugh: That is so true.

oneupper
11-17-2006, 09:09 AM
People who walk their dogs and throw the poop bag into YOUR trash.

Yachtzee
11-17-2006, 09:47 AM
People who walk their dogs and throw the poop bag into YOUR trash.

Hey, at least they're picking it up. Every once in a while, I still find dog bombs in my yard along the sidewalk.

GAC
11-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I took my daughter to an Open House at the local Joint Vocational School (JVS) last night. She'll be a Jr in high school next year.

She is looking at two programs.... Early Childhood Education and Management OR Animal Management.

Afterwards she asked me for my advice.

I told her which does she prefer working with?.... Baby crap or animal crap! :lol:

Ltlabner
11-28-2006, 08:48 AM
People who refuse to use email for any form of communications.

I know email isn't an effective tool for all coverstations, but when used correctly it can really eliminate a lot of pointless phone calls.

One of my coworkers responds to every email I send him with "call me". I continue to email him. Latley I've started responding, "I'm in the middle of a few things, please call me when you have a chance". NOTE: He's at the headquarters and I'm in a satalite/home office so the chances of him being away from his desk/on the phone are greater than me being away from mine.

Ltlabner
02-03-2007, 09:49 AM
People who drive 15mph in snowy weather when the road conditions are more like 30-40mph.

Got caught behind a dude in a pickup on US150 in Kentucky this week for nearly 10 miles. It was a hilly, twisty road so you just couldn't pass. The weather conditions called for reduced speeds and caution, but ths guy had aprox 20+ cars piled up behind him before he finally turned. We were all bunched up and working the breaks to keep from smacking into the folks ahead of us. The poor guy behind me had an S10 pickup and he was dancing all over the road because he had to ride the breaks down the hills and gunn it to get back up them (because he had zero momentum thanks to Mr. Slow Guy).

:angry: :explode: :rant2: :censored: :runaway:

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I offically witnessed the longest right hand turn in the history of mankind yesterday.

The turn signal and brake lights were on for nearly a half mile. I started counting missed driveways and he drove past 16 of them, which means he probably missed 21. And he kept almost turning into all of them, and the thing was, there were totally unrelated businesses. It wasn't like he was mistaking a Chili's for an Applebee's. It was more like a Dry Cleaners here, a Sporting Goods store there.

Also- a few other things that have made me wanting to go out in search of this thread lately:

Products that make enhancements for the sake of making them.

The latest one: Froot Loops. Have you seen this? They now have Froot Loops that contain several GIANT red Froot Loops.

How many times have you been sitting there enjoying your morning bowl of Froot Loops and wished that just a few of them were really big??? Yeah, I haven't either.

Also- people who tell stories to you and drag them out for a really long time when the ending is obvious.

A girl came into my office yesterday and was trying to tell me how she learned what the term "MILF" meant.

"I told my daughter that someone called me a MILF and she said Who told you that? And I said What does it mean? And she said who told you that? And I was like why? What does it mean? Who told you that? what does it mean?

I kept thinking, I don't know about you lady, but I only get 24 hours in a day to lead my life, 8 of which are spent sleeping, so get to the point....

There are times in my life when I wish I were Simon Cowell and I could hold up my hand and say, "Thank you..." just like he does when he cuts people off.

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 01:13 PM
The weather conditions called for reduced speeds and caution, but ths guy had aprox 20+ cars piled up behind him before he finally turned.

I remember riding in the back seat of a car with my best friend as his aunt drove us home from school one day. We had a line of cars so long behind us that when we pulled into our driveway people were honking their horns and flipping us off. His aunt said, "What's their problem?"

savafan
02-03-2007, 08:21 PM
There are times in my life when I wish I were Simon Cowell and I could hold up my hand and say, "Thank you..." just like he does when he cuts people off.

I do this, and it has actually gained me respect among my friends. Who knew? :)

GAC
02-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Live in concert. What does that mean? :dunno:

People who have cellphones attached to their ears while driving. I always seem to get behind the same couple of people (and yes, they are both woman) who are driving 35 in a 55 zone and weaving all over the place. The other day I followed this one into the parking lot at work and she swerved to the left and took out several of those reflectors that are along the driveway into the parking lot to show where the edge of the road is. She never knew it and kept right on driving.

And another point - people who refuse to pass these people, for whatever reason, so that when you come up upon the "group", there is a line of 4-5 cars which makes it risky and/or impossible for you to pass. I'm referring to being on a county road, not the interstate. I followed one such group the other day for about 5 miles. I finally saw an opening, took my shot, and blew by them. Dale Earnhart would have been proud. Of course Dale would have probably sideswiped a couple of them off the road as he passed. ;)

Hoosier Red
02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Live in concert. What does that mean? :dunno:

Before my wife and I were married, she went to a Counting Crows/Live concert.
She was really surprised to find out that Live was the opening act she figured it was just Counting Crows Live.

I said to her, "It's a concert, what's the alternative, Counting Crows on tape?"

Yeah, it's a miracle she married me.

creek14
02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
People who complain and complain and complain about their job, but aren't willing to do anything to make it better or try to find a new one.

dsmith421
02-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Brat kids who spend the entirety of college basketball games kicking the back of your chair and spilling pop onto your jacket. And their parents who refuse to do anything about the above, then yell at you when you stand up at crucial points of a game.

dabvu2498
02-05-2007, 04:43 PM
People who complain and complain and complain about their job, but aren't willing to do anything to make it better or try to find a new one.

AAAAAAAAA-men

Yachtzee
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Before my wife and I were married, she went to a Counting Crows/Live concert.
She was really surprised to find out that Live was the opening act she figured it was just Counting Crows Live.

I said to her, "It's a concert, what's the alternative, Counting Crows on tape?"

Yeah, it's a miracle she married me.

Having worked at a concert venue in the past, concert "on tape" isn't far fetched. Milli Vanilli weren't the only ones doing it back then.

Caseyfan21
02-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Man, I can think of a few right off the bat, mostly related to college:

1.) People in libraries. I spend a considerable amount of time studying and doing homework (engineering major). I also spend most of this time at either the library or engineering building. When I'm there I can always concentrate better. Nothing irritates me more than when I'm trying to study or read and there is a group of two people at a nearby table talking away. I can tolerate it if the discussion is hushed and school related or if it's a quick hello to a passing friend. I absolutely CANNOT tolerate people that sit down and have social hour at the library. That and people who actually will answer cell calls and have the conversation in the main part of the library. I keep my phone on vibrate if I'm expecting a call and when it rings I quickly move to an unoccupied area of the library to have my conversation. I just don't get why groups go to the library to study together. When my friends and I work on homework together we always try to meet somewhere where we won't interfere with others. There are a million coffee shops, don't bother people in the quiet environment at the library.

2.) People walking around campus. I usually ride my bike since my house is a long walk. As I'm riding nothing irritates me more than the oblivious person that walks down the center of a sidewalk so as I'm coming up behind them I have no where to pass. I usually try to clear my throat or something to alert people but some people are just in their own little world. I do enjoy cutting over past them and then swooping right by and startling them.

3.) Roommates that leave dishes on the sink after meals. Are you that busy that you can't take 2 minutes to scrape off your dish and throw it in the dishwasher? Argh....

4.) Professors who don't interact or have anything to do with the outside world. Examples from this year include 2 male professors who had midterms today (day after the Superbowl, c'mon) and many teachers that will schedule midterms the Monday after the OSU/Michigan game when it's at home. I can't even blame it on female teachers, the males are just as bad. Are these people so out of touch that they don't know when major events like the Superbowl, OSU games, and such are? It's not too hard to adjust the class schedule by a day.

5.) Homeless people that make up outrageous stories. I'm in college, I'm poor, I'm not going to give you change. I hate being bothered by homeless people. If they want to sit on the sidewalk with a sign and cup, that's cool. When you knock on my door or you come up and interrupt me, that's not cool. I got hit up by the same dude twice in one week. One time he was "with Advance Auto Parts" and he "ran out of gas." I offered my cell phone for him to call his company and he quickly left. The next time, a week later, he hits me up with a UPS shirt on and the same story. I replied with "Didn't you work for Advance last week?" That shut him up real fast.

6.) Businesses that try to sell me every deal on the face of the Earth. If I'm making a major purchase, offering me a warranty is ok. If I'm buying a CD, offering me your great rewards card and CD cleaner is ridiculous. Also, at a fast food place, asking me if I want to "Biggie Size" or add a side irritates me to no end. I'm sure they are required to do it but I still don't want to be bothered. If I wanted to biggie size it I can read the menu and make that decision without you having to ask me.

Those are just a few, I'm sure I'll think of even more.

Ltlabner
02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
4.) Professors who don't interact or have anything to do with the outside world. Examples from this year include 2 male professors who had midterms today (day after the Superbowl, c'mon) and many teachers that will schedule midterms the Monday after the OSU/Michigan game when it's at home. I can't even blame it on female teachers, the males are just as bad. Are these people so out of touch that they don't know when major events like the Superbowl, OSU games, and such are? It's not too hard to adjust the class schedule by a day.

Far be it from me to jump into a good rant (notice how many posts I have on this thread). However, Caseyfan, those of us who had to work the "day after the Superbowl" aren't going to have lots of symphathy for you for having to take a midterm today.

It may be that your proffs are more in touch with the outside world than you realize. Your furture bosses are not likely to cancil work the day after the Superbowl so in actuality the proffs are getting you ready for life.

Sorry to be such a killjoy/old fart/"back when I was your age...." type.

oneupper
02-05-2007, 09:32 PM
People who like to "tell" you a movie...

My wife used to try to do this with me. Now she knows better...as do my kids.

You saw a great movie last night? Great. What was it called? Fine.

I DO NOT want to hear the whole story line, stating with the opening scene.

Caseyfan21
02-05-2007, 10:26 PM
It may be that your proffs are more in touch with the outside world than you realize. Your furture bosses are not likely to cancil work the day after the Superbowl so in actuality the proffs are getting you ready for life.

Simply going to class/work the next day and having a midterm are two far different things. I don't think the day after the Superbowl should be a national holiday. I'm absolutely not a person that skips out on class or work because of fun stuff (have skipped only 7 classes period in 3 years of college). I just think it's a little cheap of them to schedule a midterm the day after a major American event, especially engineering midterms that take many days and hours of preparation. I haven't gotten to watch the Superbowl in the past 3 years because I have had prof's who scheduled midterms the day after each year.

And with work you can *usually* plan ahead to clear a night unless there is a major project or deadline. With midterms, it's tough to prepare a long while in advance, especially with responsibilities for other classes. I'm really not trying to whine, I just get irritated when my professors never give consideration to things outside of their class.

Man, I am in rant mood tonight. :laugh: Please don't take offense, my parents always say the same kind of stuff to me when I complain.

Yachtzee
02-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Simply going to class/work the next day and having a midterm are two far different things. I don't think the day after the Superbowl should be a national holiday. I'm absolutely not a person that skips out on class or work because of fun stuff (have skipped only 7 classes period in 3 years of college). I just think it's a little cheap of them to schedule a midterm the day after a major American event, especially engineering midterms that take many days and hours of preparation. I haven't gotten to watch the Superbowl in the past 3 years because I have had prof's who scheduled midterms the day after each year.

And with work you can *usually* plan ahead to clear a night unless there is a major project or deadline. With midterms, it's tough to prepare a long while in advance, especially with responsibilities for other classes. I'm really not trying to whine, I just get irritated when my professors never give consideration to things outside of their class.

Man, I am in rant mood tonight. :laugh: Please don't take offense, my parents always say the same kind of stuff to me when I complain.

Try law school. We have exams on Sundays.

TeamCasey
02-06-2007, 07:22 AM
2.) People walking around campus. I usually ride my bike since my house is a long walk. As I'm riding nothing irritates me more than the oblivious person that walks down the center of a sidewalk so as I'm coming up behind them I have no where to pass. I usually try to clear my throat or something to alert people but some people are just in their own little world. I do enjoy cutting over past them and then swooping right by and startling them.

It's a sidewalk, not a sideride. ;)

GAC
02-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Not just telemarketers..... but telemarketers that can't even speak English! I have an answering machine so I don't even pick up. But even then, when you don't respond, you get this annoying LOUD "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" left on your machine. I get about 4-5 a day.

With what is going on in the service industry, especially in tech support, I think we should ignore Iran and bomb India! :mooner:

paintmered
02-06-2007, 08:32 AM
"Hello, you have reached the Bangalore help line. We are here to serve you. My name is.........Fred."

No, your name is not Fred. It doesn't make your accent sound less Indian either.

Hollcat
02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
When telemarketers or bill collectors call and an automated message ask's you to hold for a moment. I can't believe there is much of a success rate with that.
People who wait until there are several car lengths between them and the car in front of them when the light turns green. There's times I'm tempted to pass and fill in one of those open spots. Geez people we can get our space once we get through.

Dom Heffner
02-06-2007, 10:44 AM
When telemarketers or bill collectors call and an automated message ask's you to hold for a moment.

I created a character for this very occasion at work. "Joseph Blow, Jr., III."

He's basically an elderly Jewish gentleman from New Jersey who "gets around" at his nursing home.

He asks for advice on women, his kids, even STD's.

I (He) asked a mortgage broker if he had an extra set of fingers and twenty minutes to help ease the irritation of "Southern lice."

Some people laugh, some people get really mad, but the more random I make it the more my employees love it. I do it for them, really.

I had one guy ask me how I could be a "Jr. the third."

"I'm actually the sixth, but Jr. the third flows better, don't you think?"

Also- I used to play a joke on those annoying people who call and pretend they are the copier people: "Yeah, we are just updating our files- could you walk over to the copier and read the model number off of it?" And then they send you a bunch of copier supplies that you "ordered."

Well I used to get that call all the time so I came up with some of my own model numbers that I would spell out for them:

Yeah, that's a Lexmark 5UCK-M3
Wait- no it's a Canon FU-HARD

Or my personal favorite (mods, forgive me if I'm crossing a line here):

That's a Canon "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo space Yankee Oscar Uniform."

I had one lady call me a Sierra Oscar Bravo (not in those terms, of course) with a voice so angry steam was coming through the phone.

When I was younger, I had a phone number that was one digit off from a pizza place. It would get so bad on weekends that I just started taking orders.

"That'll be ready in twenty minutes. And by the way, we are having a special tonight- if you bring in 5 canned goods your pizza is free."

Dom Heffner
02-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Almost forgot this one, though I may have posted it before. The very same number that was close to the pizza place was also one off from the Clermont County building department. This one guy called me twenty times to rat on his neighbor for digging around his telelphone pole. He would get really quiet and rattle off the name as if someone were tapping his phone.

He called so much I called him back and told him that while I could bust his neighbor, I would also have to arrest him under the new "Tattle Law" that was recently enacted by the Clinton administration.

We hated to do it, sir, "but no one likes a tattle tale," I told him. I started to laugh at the end so he knew I was joking but man, that felt awesome to do.

I was big practical joker as a kid, especially if it had a microphone involved. I had a mobile DJ company and was a holy terror in making up announcements.

At high school dances when kids would come up and request a song I'd get their name so they thought I was going to announce it along with the request. Instead, I would make some announcement that his mom was outside waiting for him with a PB& J sandwich just in case he was hungry or something that would embarrass a high schooler.

GAC
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
People who go out and buy these 4-wheel drive vehicles (SUVs, Jeeps) and still don't know how to drive in the snow. They think that just because they have all-wheel drive that they don't have to exercise any caution. Just had a lady "park" here brand new Escalade in the middle of a corn field due to obviously not knowing how to drive in the snow. Thank God she wasn't hurt and there wasn't any damage to the vehicle.

But she must have been going at a pretty high rate of speed because she parked that thing pretty far into that field.

Deer were holding up signs like Olympic judges, and they all gave her a 10. ;)

TeamCasey
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
People who don't park their cars in their driveways.

They REALLY drive me nuts after a snowfall. The plows can't clean the streets, Peeps!

FutureRedsGM
02-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Speaking of bathrooms, I hate when a bathroom has an attendant, so when you wash your hands all of a sudden you are obligated to tip him. Jeez, I just wanted to take a piss and now its gonna cost me money. And I don't need cologne, chips or a big, black 1980's comb either.

I was at a bar in Myrtle Beach recently that had a bathroom attendant. When you budgeted your night you had to keep that in mind:

10 beers X $3 each = $30
5 trips to the bathroom X $1 = $5

I could have had another beer if I didn't pee so much!!!

FutureRedsGM
02-07-2007, 12:36 PM
EBay sellers that don't accept paypal.

SunDeck
02-07-2007, 04:05 PM
People who park the wrong way on the street. That's why rear lights have reflectors, you eedjits.

Ltlabner
02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
EBay sellers that don't accept paypal.

:thumbup:

Ltlabner
02-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I have to offer up an offical applogy. Somewhere in this lengthy saga of a thread, I think I crapped on bluethooth headset users. I'm lazy and am not going to look for it.

Suffice it to say I was rather harsh. Well.....today I just bought a bluetooth headset. I got so tired of my wired headset getting tangled up in my seatbelt and cellphone power cord. I don't know what it is about this car (had it since May) but for some reason that headset cord gets caught on everything. My previous cars the wired deal worked just fine...but no longer.

Anyway, I broke down and got one. After breaking bad on users I would have felt totally hypocritical had I not fessed up.

Dom Heffner
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Anyway, I broke down and got one. After breaking bad on users I would have felt totally hypocritical had I not fessed up.

Just don't look annoying while wearing it, and I think you'll be fine.

GAC
02-08-2007, 08:29 AM
People who don't park their cars in their driveways.

They REALLY drive me nuts after a snowfall. The plows can't clean the streets, Peeps!

County snow plows who drive by and blow all the snow back up into your newly cleared driveway. ;)

We got a pretty good chunk of snow up here, and with the wind it drifted alot of driveways over out here in the country. My neighbor, in this bitter cold, took about 2 hours to clear out his driveway.

I was over talking to him and just about that time a snow plow came by and blew the snow off the road covering about a third of his driveway back up, almost two feet in depth too. :bang:

I've never heard my neighbor use that type of language before. :evil:

Dom Heffner
02-01-2012, 09:09 PM
People who rush ahead of you to get in line and then take their sweet time paying the cashier...

Larry Schuler
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Baristas who will avoid eye contact & ignore you as they do "unknown busy work" behind the counter and expect you to interrupt them & just order. Yesterday I stood there staring at this guy for 10 seconds until finally I started laughing cause he was about a foot in front of me & never acknowledged me. Then when he did he just did a silent head nod. I should have silently pointed at what I wanted on the menu and thrown a $5 bill on the c ounter but I opted for saying hello and using words like a polite adult member of society.

OldRightHander
02-02-2012, 12:46 PM
People who say "I'm not racist but..." right before saying something racist.

Rojo
02-02-2012, 01:55 PM
People who rush ahead of you to get in line and then take their sweet time paying the cashier...

Similarly, people who leave long, windy voice messages and then, at the end, speed throught the call back number so quickly you can't jot it down.

SunDeck
02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I've had a great day so far, to wit:

People who email me....then find me later and tell me what they just emailed me.

People who can't run meetings- you don't have to be a dictator about it, but realize that 3/4 of those of us sitting around the table to are trying to will you the kahones to shut down the blowhards and move things along.

Dom Heffner
02-02-2012, 08:06 PM
In training classes when the teacher says that if we keep the questions to a minimum we can go home early...

And then people ask and ask and ask....

Rojo
02-03-2012, 01:33 PM
People who can't run meetings- you don't have to be a dictator about it, but realize that 3/4 of those of us sitting around the table to are trying to will you the kahones to shut down the blowhards and move things along.

God, yes. Please shut down the grandstanding compliments. "I just want to point out what a great job Chester has done.....". Chester: "And I want to point out the tremendous support......".

Can it. It's work. Let's get it done and get on with our lives.

SunDeck
02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Generally, the meetings I attend have 3-4 agenda items. It shouldn't be hard for a meeting facilitator to say, "Thanks for those valuable comments. If I may, are we all prepared to get this back to the agenda item at hand?" All the reasonable people in the room will be relieved to have an opportunity to say emphatically, "Yes!".

RBA
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Also, people ahead of you waiting in line for the Gas pump, they finally pull up to the pump and then they take 5 minutes fishing around for their credit/debit card. What were they doing while in line?

SunDeck
02-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Also, people ahead of you waiting in line for the Gas pump, they finally pull up to the pump and then they take 5 minutes fishing around for their credit/debit card. What were they doing while in line?

And after they pay they leave their care in front of the pump while they go in and buy a Big Gulp.

Speaking of which, the constant need for people to eat and drink kind of drives me crazy, too. Do you really need to eat a bag of Doritos in the library?

GAC
02-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Teenagers that see the dryer and dishwasher cycles are done and then wait to be told to empty them..... "Oh what? Did you want me to do that?"

And putting dirty dishes in the sink letting the food dry. Mac and cheese is the worst. Takes a sand blaster to get it off. NASA ought to use it as some sort of adhesive sealant.

RANDY IN INDY
02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Teenagers that see the dryer and dishwasher cycles are done and then wait to be told to empty them..... "Oh what? Did you want me to do that?"

And putting dirty dishes in the sink letting the food dry. Mac and cheese is the worst. Takes a sand blaster to get it off. NASA ought to use it as some sort of adhesive sealant.

:beerme:

Caseyfan21
02-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Far be it from me to jump into a good rant (notice how many posts I have on this thread). However, Caseyfan, those of us who had to work the "day after the Superbowl" aren't going to have lots of symphathy for you for having to take a midterm today.

Sorry to be such a killjoy/old fart/"back when I was your age...." type.

:laugh: Was just going through backreading in this thread when it got topped.

Now that I'm one of those who have to work the day after the Super Bowl my opinion hasn't changed from my rant filled college postings of 5 years ago. I still hate those professors that scheduled big midterms on the days after holidays or major events. And at least in the real world I always have the option to take a vacation day if I choose. :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Getting old sucks, Matt. That much will never change. ;)

At least being an adult allows you some freedom to pick and choose your time off.

Hap
02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Thommarty Brennaman.

People who still refer either downtown stadium as "Riverfront Stadium".

People who do not bathe and/or apply deodorant before attending a day game at the GABP.

People who remember Ickey Woods but not James Brooks.

People who take forever the board the Southbank Shuttle after the games because someone in their group doesn't have the correct amount.

sonny
02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Who's James Brooks?

Just kidding.

I hate skinny jeans. Hate hate hate.

Larry Schuler
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Who's James Brooks?

Just kidding.

I hate skinny jeans. Hate hate hate.

Are they too tight on your legs?

Roy Tucker
02-08-2012, 10:56 PM

As a add-on to that, telling a teenager to do any of these things and greeted with an exasperated sigh and a "I'll get it later, don't worry, I really will".

And then they don't.