PDA

View Full Version : If RA is gong to take over as the SS ...

flyer85
08-18-2006, 01:01 PM
doesn't the reason for Clayton being on the roster go away?

I honestly am skeptical that Narron will stick with RA.

oneupper
08-18-2006, 01:09 PM

There was never a good reason for Clayton being on the roster.

TheBigLebowski
08-18-2006, 01:09 PM

Backup SS w/plus veteran-ness.

BRM
08-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Backup SS w/plus veteran-ness.

Castro can provide that. No need for two backup shortstops.

flyer85
08-18-2006, 01:14 PM
There was never a good reason for Clayton being on the roster.at the time of the trade I pointed out I would have liked it better if it was only a 7 player deal(no Clayton).

flyer85
08-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Castro can provide that. No need for two backup shortstops.especially ones that don't hit well.

Even if you wanted an extra backup SS/IF type then Olmedo with his speed and switch hitting would be a much better bet than Clayton.

TOBTTReds
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
DFA Royce, bring back Deno...atleast he can run and field. And make contact.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Not that I like Clayton, but I didn't see Denorfia making much contact.(Looked overmatched most of the time to me) He does run and field OK.

Chip R
08-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Not going to happen when there's 2 weeks till expanded rosters.

redsfan30
08-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Not that I like Clayton, but I didn't see Denorfia making much contact.(Looked overmatched most of the time to me) He does run and field OK.
Exactly. I think Denorfia can be at least an average player in the bigs, but his last time up he looked completely clueless both at the plate and in right field.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Exactly. I think Denorfia can be at least an average player in the bigs, but his last time up he looked completely clueless both at the plate and in right field.

I'm not seeing it with Denorfia. I don't think he is quite a "Brady Clark" at this stage, and that is the type of player I see in Denorfia.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Then again, maybe I am missing something.

registerthis
08-18-2006, 02:37 PM
There was never a good reason for Clayton being on the roster.

Seriously. This entire question is based upon the false premise that Clayton had any business here in the first place.

registerthis
08-18-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm not seeing it with Denorfia. I don't think he is quite a "Brady Clark" at this stage, and that is the type of player I see in Denorfia.

If he turned out to be a Brady Clark, I could live with that. But so long as Freel is playing all god-like in right field, the Deno question is moot.

oregonred
08-18-2006, 02:55 PM
yes, but I suspect with the 40-man expansion on Sept 1st it won't hurt to keep shuttling Royce around in the team bus. He'll get a couple starts a week I would think. Sunk cost insurance in case one of Nature Boy or Manos de Oro goes down with an injury or something over the next few weeks.

TOBTTReds
08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
If he turned out to be a Brady Clark, I could live with that. But so long as Freel is playing all god-like in right field, the Deno question is moot.

Why can't Deno be on the bench? Run for Griffey or Ross in the 8th or 9th?

registerthis
08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Why can't Deno be on the bench? Run for Griffey or Ross in the 8th or 9th?

He will come September. I'm quite sure the Reds just wanted to get him regular playing time to keep him fresh, something that wasn't going to happen in Cinci.

flyer85
08-18-2006, 03:25 PM
He will come September. I'm quite sure the Reds just wanted to get him regular playing time to keep him fresh, something that wasn't going to happen in Cinci.if the Reds actually make the playoffs, they need to look at potential construction of a playoff roster.

Having said that you certainly need someone on the bench that can run. If RA is the starting SS the Reds are wasting potential bench spots on Clayton and a 3rd catcher.

Crash Davis
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Then again, maybe I am missing something.

All MLB players look a bit overmatched when they're in a slump. He looked pretty impressive to me in his earlier stint.

Matt700wlw
08-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I'd take Clayton's bat over LaRue's

Now that's scary.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 04:56 PM
All MLB players look a bit overmatched when they're in a slump. He looked pretty impressive to me in his earlier stint.

Looked to me like he didn't want to swing the bat. Took a lot of pitches right over the plate, in succession. I am waiting to be impressed by this guy. I hope at some point that I will be.

Crash Davis
08-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Looked to me like he didn't want to swing the bat. Took a lot of pitches right over the plate, in succession. I am waiting to be impressed by this guy. I hope at some point that I will be.

You saw him in a slump. If he were given a chance to play regularly, you would have seen him with some good at bats...which would have clouded your earlier observation --

And if you were a robot from a 1960's cartoon, smoke would rise out of your head, a spring would uncoil from your chest plate, whereupon you would (unfortunately) completely combust.

Luckily you're a baseball fan instead of a robot. Hopefully, that means you'll get to see the bad Denorfia and the good Denorfia merge into each other. I just hope he's more Obi Wan than Darth Vader.

...and I really need to get out of work and start my weekend.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I have seen Denorfia at AAA a few times here in Charlotte. Not particularly impressed. I saw him this spring with the Reds. He played OK a few games, but I obviously didn't see a lot that made me think he is going to be anything more than a Brady Clark, at most. Krivsky said it was his time. He now is toiling in AAA again.

I'm not sure what to make of it all.

TeamBoone
08-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Saturday, August 19, 2006

Aurilia's run at shortstop short-lived; Set to start at first base tonight vs. Pirates lefty
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Rich Aurilia started at shortstop for the fourth time in five games Friday night.

But it would not be correct to call him the regular shortstop. If he were, he wouldn't be starting at first base tonight.

But that's what Reds manager Jerry Narron plans when the Pittsburgh Pirates start left-hander Paul Maholm.

Don't be surprised if Aurilia's back at shortstop Sunday.

That would be fine with Aurilia.

"I could always play short," he said. "I think maybe they forgot I could.

"When I lost my job at short last year, it wasn't because of my defense. It was because I wasn't hitting."

Aurilia has looked like his old self at short since getting the recent playing time.

His range isn't the greatest, but he's sure-handed and he makes the routine plays.

Add in his offense - he's hitting .278 with 17 home runs and 46 RBI - and he might be the Reds' best option.

"It's been fun," Aurilia said.

Aurilia was an afterthought as shortstop until recently. Before the recent run, he made one start at short all year. He has made 37 starts at third base, 24 starts at first and three starts at second.

"It's funny," he said. "The one I'm best at (shortstop), I've played about the least."

Narron isn't going to declare Aurilia the starting shortstop. But he might continue to put his name in the lineup each day.

"I'll come in, see if I'm in there and go out and play," Aurilia said. "That's part of the game."
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060819/SPT04/608190449/1071