PDA

View Full Version : Walk The Line

Farney
08-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Seriously, how long has this song been the song of the game? Is there a record for this type of thing? Its had to of been at least a month.

TOBTTReds
08-19-2006, 01:54 AM
Remember "Hey Yah" by Outkast. That was the winner for a couple months.

Big Klu
08-19-2006, 03:04 AM
Seriously, how long has this song been the song of the game? Is there a record for this type of thing? Its had to of been at least a month.

I believe it is now a 10-time champion. I think it first won the contest on August 2.

Big Klu
08-20-2006, 03:22 AM
Did "Walk The Line" win again Saturday night?

KittyDuran
08-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Did "Walk The Line" win again Saturday night?I believe it did... Went up against "Another Saturday Night" by Jimmy Buffett and "Saturday Night Fever" The Bee Gees.

reds1869
08-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Yep, it won. In all honesty I thought the response to the Buffett song was louder, but according to the "meter" Walk The Line still won.

Newman4
08-20-2006, 09:08 AM
I have never liked this whole aspect of going to the game. They usually have crappy songs anyways, so no wonder a good song like "Walk the Line" would be a multiple time champion. EVERY single game I have been to, and we're talking probably about 100+, someone sitting around me says something to the effect of 'I never heard of that song'. They don't cater much to younger fans in their song selection. The player intro songs are always better than some of the selections.

reds1869
08-20-2006, 09:18 AM
I have never liked this whole aspect of going to the game. They usually have crappy songs anyways, so no wonder a good song like "Walk the Line" would be a multiple time champion. EVERY single game I have been to, and we're talking probably about 100+, someone sitting around me says something to the effect of 'I never heard of that song'. They don't cater much to younger fans in their song selection. The player intro songs are always better than some of the selections.

Perhaps, but I can't remember EVER hearing a song I didn't know in the contest, and I'm only in my 20s. The Reds have to cater to a lot of musical tastes, and have to avoid anything approaching a controversial song. Judging from the kids I teach, a lot of music younger kids like fails the controversy criteria for the older set who attend games.

Newman4
08-20-2006, 09:22 AM
I know most of the songs myself. Although I can't say I know every '70ish '80ish disco song or pop rock song. I meant others do not know them.

reds1869
08-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I know most of the songs myself. Although I can't say I know every '70ish '80ish disco song or pop rock song. I meant others do not know them.

I knew that's what you meant. Didn't mean to imply anything about you personally.

In my experience, those same people--I've sat by them too--also have very little understanding of baseball. So consider the source and don't sweat it. FWIW, I think they do a good job trying to cater to a very diverse region. Think about all of the different types of communities that send people to Cincinnati for games. Dominant styles in those places are everything from rap to country; the Reds do a decent job of mixing it up.

BuckWoody
08-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Why the hate on Johnny Cash? Walk the Line is a good song...they just need to come up with some better options for the other songs in order for it to lose. I was happy that at least the Bee Gees didn't win. :)

This song discussion reminds me of a story from the first year of GABP. In between innings they were playing the Liz Phair song "Supernova". A nice bouncy little pop song that seemed to fit in with the family friendly atmosphere. That is, with one big exception. There is a line in the song that goes,

Your kisses are as wicked as an F-16
And you (make love) like a volcano, and you're everything to me
Only Liz didn't say "make love". It was loud and clear for everyone to hear. I don't think they play much Liz Phair at the ballpark anymore. ;)

Ltlabner
08-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Only Liz didn't say "make love". It was loud and clear for everyone to hear. I don't think they play much Liz Phair at the ballpark anymore. ;)

Off topic

The hold music at a company I worked for previously was played from an inhouse CD player. The VP thought it would be nice to have some James Taylor music playing. You know..."you've got a friend" and other warm happy JT songs like that.

Except that it was a greatest hits album with "Steamroller" on it. And if you remember the song, there is one VERY bad lyric in it.

Of course just that EXACT portion of the song was playing on the hold music when one of our best customers was on hold.

Big Klu
08-20-2006, 04:15 PM
How did "Walk The Line" do on Sunday?

KittyDuran
08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
How did "Walk The Line" do on Sunday?It won again... went up against IIRC a Stray Cats' tune and someone else...

Chip R
08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
It won again... went up against IIRC a Stray Cats' tune and someone else...

Joy To The World by 3 Dog Night, IIRC. Pretty stiff competition.

Big Klu
08-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Joy To The World by 3 Dog Night, IIRC. Pretty stiff competition.

Yes, that is pretty good competition. I probably would have been happy with any of those three songs. (I'm assuming that the Stray Cats song was "Rock This Town".) 12-time champ now, by my count.

I've always told my buddies when we go to games that you should never bet against anything by Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, or Led Zeppelin for Song Of The Game.

Newman4
08-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, or Led Zeppelin for Song Of The Game.

AC/DC "Shook Me All Night Long" would win. They should play "Money Talks" when Mitlon pitches. :devil:

Big Klu
08-22-2006, 01:05 AM
I overheard "Walk The Line" as Marty took a commercial break in the middle of the eighth inning, so I assume that it is now a 13-time champion.