PDA

View Full Version : The Great Debate: Freel everyday

TOBTTReds
08-19-2006, 01:10 PM
I like him as much as the next guy.

Just trying to throw a little gas on the fire.

His numbers lately:

July: .324 avg/.400 obp/.563 slg/ 10 xbh (Frequent days off until July 19th)
Aug: .193 avg/.352 obp/.246 slg/ 3 xbh as of now (Only one day off all month that included numerous great diving plays and crashing into walls)

PS- sorry I didn't dig in the archives to post at the end of a 10 page thread. I wanted a new thread on this one.:mooner:

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I like him as much as the next guy.

Just trying to throw a little gas on the fire.

His numbers lately:

July: .324 avg/.400 obp/.563 slg (Frequent days off until July 19th)
Aug: .193 avg/.352 obp/.246 slg (Only one day off all month that included numerous great diving plays and crashing into walls)

PS- sorry I didn't dig in the archives to post at the end of a 10 page thread. I wanted a new thread on this one.:mooner:

Everyone on the offense aside from EdE has gone to the absolute dogs this August. Still and all, Freel's OBP is one of the best on the team for that duration.

TOBTTReds
08-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Everyone on the offense aside from EdE has gone to the absolute dogs this August. Still and all, Freel's OBP is one of the best on the team for that duration.

I dont think Freel will be tired of getting walked.

I'm not saying he shouldn't play either. He is our best OF'er too. Just showing that maybe he does need some rest. I think the other guys need rest too. Our bench has NO outfield depth.

Unassisted
08-19-2006, 01:17 PM
When he plays more, he delivers less at the plate. It really hurts to have a leadoff hitter in a slump. It's a shame the best option for a platoon-mate for him is the slump-tastic Hollandsworth.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 01:22 PM
When he plays more, he delivers less at the plate. It really hurts to have a leadoff hitter in a slump. It's a shame the best option for a platoon-mate for him is the slump-tastic Hollandsworth.

If Freel is in a "slump" then Dunn, Griffey, Ross, Aurilia, and Phillips should be in retirement because they aren't hitting crap.

Freel is doing what he's done all season, and what a leadoff hitter should do in every 1/2 month of a season: get on base.

You two are essentially saying Freel shouldn't be an everyday player because he's doing his job, all the while providing the Reds with the most scintillating defense that they've seen since Pokey Reese. Unreal.

I honestly think that stubbornness of opinion, as we are seeing in this thread about Freel's "slumpiness" is exactly why teams fail and GMs make poor decisions.

REDJAKE
08-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Put Denorfia in right and Freel to the bench and then we have the best super sub available when he is needed.Would be great at starting or keeping something going he's never proved to good at being a regular very streaky and does not hit with men in scoring position looking at his RBI's.GO CINCY!!!!

TOBTTReds
08-19-2006, 01:30 PM
You two are essentially saying Freel shouldn't be an everyday player because he's doing his job, all the while providing the Reds with the most scintillating defense that they've seen since Pokey Reese. Unreal.

You make things up. I actually said

I'm not saying he shouldn't play either. He is our best OF'er too. Just showing that maybe he does need some rest. I think the other guys need rest too. Our bench has NO outfield depth.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 01:32 PM
You make things up. I actually said

What is your position? You say one thing, then you retract that position. Should Freel be an everyday player or not? And I'm not talking about sitting out every 10th game--that still makes him an everyday player.

So what is your position because I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Unassisted
08-19-2006, 01:36 PM
If Freel was in center field every day, with more opportunities for putouts, then IMO, his offensive slump would not be such a dealbreaker.

WVRedsFan
08-19-2006, 01:37 PM
I have no problem with Freel now that's there no other everyday option. My only problem has been with his his reckless style of play which isn't so smart sometimes.

To think we used to have Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Pena, and a couple of others so that Freel could rove at different positions. Now we have Dunn, Griffey, and Freel with only Hollandsworth as a viable option (and not a very good one at that). In return we have bullpen pitchers who are less than satisfactory. I realize you need both and when it comes to choice, you go with pitching, but losing Keans, Pena, and one of the better pinch hitters in the majors (Cruz) while now on only options are someone no one else wanted or career minor leaguers. I hope this is a work in progress by Krivsky. If not, this team will never contend other than in years, like this one, when everyone's down. You can bet St.Louis and the other teams in the division will work to get better.

Freel obviously wears down and playing him every day will simply cut his production, no matter what his OBP is right now. It will decline.

And the same goes for Hatteberg. We're seeing the effects of that now.

2001MUgrad
08-19-2006, 01:47 PM
He needs to be the everyday CF(yes CF), but with that being said he needs to be on the bench at least once every 5 games to 10 games. he has shown this year that his production drops horribly as he starts playing every day with no off time. That being said they really have no one that can fill in unless they recall Deno or unless Juan Castro could pick it in the OF ocassionaly. Hollandsworth is horrible and slow, you cannot have he and Griff in the same OF. Dunn could also use a couple games off about now too.

EE is refreshed and energized because he spent so much time after the All-Star break on the bench because of poor manager decision.

redsmetz
08-19-2006, 01:51 PM
I think someone else said this in the thread, but I think the whole offense, with some exceptions, is running on fumes to a good degree. If you look at the last 10 game totals, Griff is hitting .310, but with only 3 RBI's (and two of those were off of homers), EE is batting like .361 and Hatte is in the .280/.290 range, but again everybody is low in RBI's. Everyone else is in the low 200's or below.

I'm hoping we can stay in contention through the end of August and get some help when the rosters expand to give some of these guys a breather.

You know it's sort of funny how folks who disdain baseball talking about how fit basketball and football players have to be, but it really takes a lot for a ball player to stay good energy shape for a full baseball season. These guys are looking exhausted at the plate. I hope we can hang on.

dsmith421
08-19-2006, 02:32 PM
These guys are looking exhausted at the plate. I hope we can hang on.

Maybe it's because those guys that have been here are used to being so out of it by the all-star break that they can relax and stop pressing?

kheidg-
08-19-2006, 02:58 PM
If Freel is in a "slump" then Dunn, Griffey, Ross, Aurilia, and Phillips should be in retirement because they aren't hitting crap.

Over the last week Griffey has actually turned it on a bit. 9/24 (.375) w/ 2 HR.

reds44
08-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I talked about this is the game thread a few days ago. Before FCB jumps on me saying that I said he shouldn't be playing everyday.........

Freel should be playing everyday because we have no better options, but I have been saying for over a year now that I don't think he can play everyday.

dougdirt
08-19-2006, 03:15 PM

Freel is doing what he's done all season, and what a leadoff hitter should do in every 1/2 month of a season: get on base.

I honestly think that stubbornness of opinion, as we are seeing in this thread about Freel's "slumpiness" is exactly why teams fail and GMs make poor decisions.

Griffey is hitting better in the month of August than his season averages are. His average is higher, his slg is higher and so is his ob%, so I dont know what you are talking about with him in there. Phillips is struggling in the avg department, but is OPSing at .832 for the month, not bad at all. However of the regular starters, only Griffey, Edwin and Phillips have an OPS over .775 for the month.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I talked about this is the game thread a few days ago. Before FCB jumps on me saying that I said he shouldn't be playing everyday.........

Freel should be playing everyday because we have no better options, but I have been saying for over a year now that I don't think he can play everyday.

I think, more than anything else, people are having a hard time defining exactly what it means to be an "everyday player."

reds44
08-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I think, more than anything else, people are having a hard time defining exactly what it means to be an "everyday player."
Playing everyday and keep being able to producing?

Freel has been playing everyday twice this year (when Griffey went on the DL and now), and both times he has gone in big slumps.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Playing everyday and keep being able to producing?

Freel has been playing everyday twice this year (when Griffey went on the DL and now), and both times he has gone in big slumps.

This isn't a "big slump."

Maybe that's what needs to be defined.

If you want to make this judgment as microscopic as possible, why isn't anyone getting on Hatteberg for his last week (1-21)?

Bottom line: whoever contends that Freel is a problem or shouldn't be playing every day is just looking for a reason to isolate Freel among many other people who are performing even worse than he is.

Kc61
08-19-2006, 03:26 PM
I think Freel is a "most of the time" player. He needs rests. So do a number of the other Reds hitters.

Narron's view is that a good player should play down the stretch everyday. He is right. Unfortunately, these days, some really can't do that and need a couple of days off, even in important stretch games.

Narron recently rested Bray and Guardado and I think that will pay off. He needs to do the same with some position players.

redsrule2500
08-19-2006, 03:27 PM
bench griffey!!!!!!!!

WVRedsFan
08-19-2006, 03:32 PM
bench griffey!!!!!!!!

And play Hollandsworth in right?

Uh...I don't think so.

dougdirt
08-19-2006, 03:35 PM
bench griffey!!!!!!!!

What for? For being only one of the three decent hitters the Reds have had in August?

BrooklynRedz
08-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I hope this is a work in progress by Krivsky. If not, this team will never contend other than in years, like this one, when everyone's down. You can bet St.Louis and the other teams in the division will work to get better.

I don't get this remark at all. What in the world would lead you to the belief that Krivsky is content with the makeup of this club? He was hired so close to the start of Spring Training that his options were limited. At least give the guy a full offseason to improve the OF, SS and starting staff before we throw our hands in the air in defeat because "St. Louis and the other teams in the division will work to get better."

He was handed a terribly constructed Major League roster. That isn't resolved in 6-8 mos.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 03:42 PM
He was handed a terribly constructed Major League roster. That isn't resolved in 6-8 mos.

This is the second time I've read this today, so I want to comment on it.

I agree, first of all, that it is/was a long shot to expect a turnaround in 8 months. But what do you see besides the acquisition of Arroyo and Phillips as good moves made by Krivsky for this or, more importantly, next season. And further, what do you think his plan is for making the Reds competitive?

Kc61
08-19-2006, 03:54 PM
a

I agree, first of all, that it is/was a long shot to expect a turnaround in 8 months. But what do you see besides the acquisition of Arroyo and Phillips as good moves made by Krivsky for this or, more importantly, next season. And further, what do you think his plan is for making the Reds competitive?

The Reds are a few players away from being a good team. I always thought the Nats trade was, in part, a way to get rid of certain guys who Krivsky didn't think fit in. I agree, although I wish he got a better return.

The key this off season is money. Krivsky has done a great job of aggressively changing the team and completely replacing a weak bullpen. But he hasn't added anyone with a great track record. His pickups have mostly been complimentary players, some past their prime, who don't cost much.

This off-season the Reds need to add one or two major players, a hitter and some pitching. They will cost money. The Reds are close enough to make these expenditures worthwhile. If they are willing to spend for one or two high-end guys, they should contend.

RedFanAlways1966
08-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree, first of all, that it is/was a long shot to expect a turnaround in 8 months. But what do you see besides the acquisition of Arroyo and Phillips as good moves made by Krivsky for this or, more importantly, next season.

I'd like to mention the REDS bullpen. We all "know the story" (as George would say)... only Coffey & Weathers remain from the start.

Bullpen ERA by Month
Apr.: 4.64
May: 4.92
June: 5.92
July: 4.13
Aug.: 3.93

Started as shaky. Got worse. Move-by-move-by-move the faces have changed. July & half of August have been the best months based on ERA. Not to mention the overuse that the bullpen has gotten in August... 42.1% of total innings pitched by the team (next highest was April w/ 33.3% of total innings thrown). Perhaps more work is good? Bottom line... the bullpen has gotten better and I'll have to give some credit to Wayne for this.

BrooklynRedz
08-19-2006, 04:40 PM

I'd add Hatte and Lohse to the improvements for next season along with an improved bullpen that will include Cormier, Bray and Majweski.

They still need to add one starting pitcher and one right-handed bat.

If you shift Phillips to SS, that allows you to move Freel/Aurilia to second. I would like to leave Freel in right, but I'm not confident of finding a right-handed bat that will make any impact at second. I think your best option is to bring in a solid bat in right field to bridge the gap until Bruce is ready. I figure you're looking at two years at the minimum and three at the max.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd add Hatte and Lohse to the improvements for next season along with an improved bullpen that will include Cormier, Bray and Majweski.

They still need to add one starting pitcher and one right-handed bat.

If you shift Phillips to SS, that allows you to move Freel/Aurilia to second. I would like to leave Freel in right, but I'm not confident of finding a right-handed bat that will make any impact at second. I think your best option is to bring in a solid bat in right field to bridge the gap until Bruce is ready. I figure you're looking at two years at the minimum and three at the max.

Fair enough.

But I'd argue that you're counting on a number of repeat career perfomances (Hatteberg/Aurilia), flukes (Lohse), and oldsters (Cormier) to play significant roles next year.

I can get on board with Phillips at SS and Freel in right repeating their performances, and picking up fairly young guys like Majewski and Bray certainly points to an emphasis on a new bullpen make-up, but I don't know, nothing is particularly clear to me about Wayne's overarching mission right now.

Doesn't mean there isn't one; it just means either I can't see it, others can't see it, or it isn't there.

jnwohio
08-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Fair enough.

.......nothing is particularly clear to me about Wayne's overarching mission right now.

Doesn't mean there isn't one; it just means either I can't see it, others can't see it, or it isn't there.

If we don't see it, it is becasue the immediate mission is to move heaven and earth to find some way to get the team into the playoffs this year.

I think this short term mission reflects a management decison that may well have come from higher than Krivsky; or at the very least those higher than Krivsky support this mission 100%.

We can debate and argue about whether they should be taking this course; but it is the course thay are on. We are not going to see anything relating to a long term mission (beyond perhaps holding Bailey back) until they are out of the playoff hunt or the season ends.

TOBTTReds
08-19-2006, 05:52 PM
What is your position? You say one thing, then you retract that position. Should Freel be an everyday player or not? And I'm not talking about sitting out every 10th game--that still makes him an everyday player.

So what is your position because I have no idea what you're trying to say.

I never retracted any position. Haha. You just think because I started this thread, I don't think he should be playing everyday.

My opinion is: He needs to be out there everyday right now, but if we had Deno, I'd have Freel start 5 out of 6 games or so. I don't think I have ever said otherwise, with the exception of about April 2005 I thought he should be on the bench.

WVRedsFan
08-19-2006, 05:58 PM

What FCB said.

I'm in Krivsky's corner with one caveat. That trade to Washington and the other two pitching prospects--all worn out already from a season or career of misuse soured me a bit. Not that I covet Kearns and Lopez (though I'd really like them back for what we got), but rather his judgement on this trade. I can't read where he's going.

WVRedsFan
08-19-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't get this remark at all. What in the world would lead you to the belief that Krivsky is content with the makeup of this club? He was hired so close to the start of Spring Training that his options were limited. At least give the guy a full offseason to improve the OF, SS and starting staff before we throw our hands in the air in defeat because "St. Louis and the other teams in the division will work to get better."

Oh, I'm certain that he's not and I'm also certain that he intends to make the club better. The results so far have been mixed, and the direction is cloudy on what he's trying to do. Hopefully, the next moves will give us that direction.

IslandRed
08-19-2006, 06:04 PM

I think the phrase the army uses is "overtaken by events."

I don't believe there's any great mystery to what kind of organization Krivsky wants -- strong farm system, emphasis on pitching and defense. He took over an organization that was about as far away from that as could be. His short tenure to date really has two distinct phases, one where he was picking up talent where he could and probably envisioning being a seller at the deadline to speed along the transition to the team he wants, and the next committing to being a buyer and trying to win now with the flawed team he had. I think he was trying to change horses mid-race, and some would argue he fell off. Fair enough. We'll see what happens when he dusts himself off and prepares for the next race. Given the scope of the task, I don't expect the transition to be done by next spring by any means, but I'd like to think that given a proper offseason with which to work, we'll at least be able to see where he's heading.

BrooklynRedz
08-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Fair enough.

But I'd argue that you're counting on a number of repeat career perfomances (Hatteberg/Aurilia), flukes (Lohse), and oldsters (Cormier) to play significant roles next year.

I can get on board with Phillips at SS and Freel in right repeating their performances, and picking up fairly young guys like Majewski and Bray certainly points to an emphasis on a new bullpen make-up, but I don't know, nothing is particularly clear to me about Wayne's overarching mission right now.

I hear you. However, I'm not sure the Reds (with an improved pitching staff) necessarily need a repeat of Hatte's career year.

I'm also not certain that Lohse is a fluke, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one until we have a larger sample size to properly judge. I like what I've seen thus far, but there's no shortage of data showing a dreadful run in Minnesota.

GAC
08-20-2006, 07:17 AM
I've said it prior - Ryan Freel should be playing everyday. Besides - who else are you gonna put in there?

He's had a simply putrid month of August - but so has Dunn and Jr.

But I don't find fault with those who propose that due to Freel's aggressive and sometimes reckless style of play (which everyone loves), that it's POSSIBLE that it takes it's toll on him as the season progresses, and his performance/numbers start to suffer.

And some could say that that could be indicative of alot of ballplayers. True. But I bet a majority of them also don't model the playing style of Freel either, which adds to that "thinking".

And that is not a knock on Ryan Freel. At least not from my perspective.

But if one goes back to 2004 to present, they would see that there is one area where Ryan provides consistency, with very little drop off.... OB%

I'm one who is really not the biggest fan of OPS when it comes to really gauging, evaluating a player. Especially a guy like Freel who, yes, will never give you the SLG% end, but will with OB%, which is why his career OPS is sub 800. That is no big deal with me.

Seasonal averages (162 games/2.5 seasons).... .373 OB% .390 SLG% = .763 OPS 7 Hrs 35 RBIs 70 BBs 89 Runs 45 SBs 155 Hits

Now if you held those stats up without knowing whose they were, and for a typical OFer, many would take notice of the walks while also probably saying that overall that is not too impressive. Not terrible, but not impressive.

Freel, in '06, is 8th in all of MLB among OFers in OB% (.384), 42nd in SLG% (.429), 31st in OPS (.813).

I guess it all boils down to what you expect from Ryan Freel from an offensive perspective.

He's an OFer who is not a slugger or RBI guy. But he is an OFer, due to his OB%/speed, who fits in the top of the order, and gets on base where his speed makes defenses nervous.... unless Farney is driving, then we're nervous. ;)

GAC
08-20-2006, 07:26 AM

Yep. Some seem to forget that. ;)

And that is not saying at all that Kriv hasn't made some blunders this year. Being a GM also involves not being afraid to take some risks at times.

Some pay off, and some will not. But the guy is not one who will stand pat IMO.

I think what we are seeing out of Kriv in some areas this year is simply trying to keep this team in it and give them a shot.... but it's not his overall objective for this organization.

This off-season will be an interesting test.

Ltlabner
08-20-2006, 08:12 AM

From what Kriv has shared in various interviews, radio broadcasts, written pieces, etc, his "road map" is to move away from the fantastic offsense/horrible pitching model that has worked ohhhhh so well the past 5 years. He wants to move towards a good offense/good pitching model.

You can argue with how he is going about doing that, and the players he's acquired to do so, but that is the overarching mission right now.

This offseason is a big test. He's had to take "experiment" players and castoffs from other teams to avoid trading away core players like Dunn and EE durring the season. If he continues to pick up older, "experiement" players durring the offseason then I'd be dissapointed.

Chip R
08-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Ryan Freel Tiredness update: 5 for 10 the last 2 days with 2 runs scored and a fine catch on Saturday. I would hate to see his stats when he is rested.

registerthis
08-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Bottom line: whoever contends that Freel is a problem or shouldn't be playing every day is just looking for a reason to isolate Freel among many other people who are performing even worse than he is.

Indeed.

Is it only Reds fans who openly clamor for the benching of the leadoff hitter with the NL's highest OBP? How very strange.

registerthis
08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Ryan Freel Tiredness update: 5 for 10 the last 2 days with 2 runs scored and a fine catch on Saturday. I would hate to see his stats when he is rested.

Only 5 hits?

SIT HIM!!!

reds44
08-22-2006, 04:05 PM
http://redlegnation.com/2006/08/22/is-freel-or-farney-tired/#more-1823

I was thinking today that Ryan Freel looks tired. I was also thinking that he’s played a heck of a lot lately, and the conventional wisdom (and my gut feeling) is that his play declines with over-exposure.

Let’s take a quick look. He’s started 27 of the past 30 games, and he pinch hit in one of the other three. This month, playing in all but 1 game, he has a .239, .370, .284(!) 654 line. He’s getting walks, but that’s about it. He’s 5 of 8 in steal attempts (well below his 79% success rate going into the month). So we know Freel’s been playing a lot, but not playing particularly well.

Has this been going on all season? I look at all the stretches where Freel starts more than 5 games in a row. The number is totally arbitrary, but was my best guess for what would be a fatigue point for the scrappy little fellow.

I found five instances where he started more than 5 consecutive games. I decided to only look at the games after game 5, when he would be expected to be feeling the fatigue. (I also ignored scheduled off days, though I probably shouldn’t have, now that I think of it. A day off is a day off, though not if travel is concerned.)

Freel He started 10 games in a row from April 13-22, after Junior got hurt in Chicago. In games 6-10, he went 5 for 19, with 4 BB, 5 K, 2/3 steals, and 0 extra-base hits. Okay AVG, good OBP, terrible SLG.

Nine in a row from 4/24 to 5/3: In games 6-9, 3 for 13, 1 2b, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/0 SB.

Seven in a row from 6/19 to 6/25: In games 6-7, 1 for 7, 1 2b, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/0 SB.

Nine in a row from 7/19 to 7/28 (after Denorfia flopped): In games 6-9, 6 for 17, 2 2b, 1 3b, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 SB

Fourteen in a row (8/7 to current): In games 6-14: 9 for 38, 1 2b, 5 BB, 10 K, 3/5 SB.

So, after “extended play,” Freel is a combined: 24 for 94 (.255 AVG), with 11 BB (.333 OBP), 20 K, 5 2b, 1 3b (.330 SLG), and 6/9 SB. I don’t know if this is a fair survey, but the same size isn’t tiny, and it shows that Freel IS pretty lousy when he doesn’t get his rest. He also strikes out a ton.

Let’s compare those numbers to the rest of the season:

“Tired” .255 .333 .330 663 OPS 1.8 K per BB; 1 K per 5.25 PAs, 67% Steal rate. (105 PAs)
“Rested” .296 .377 .467 844 OPS 1.4 K per BB; 1 K per 6.10 PAs, 79% Steal rate. (305 PAs)

registerthis
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Freel is seemingly the only player on this team who is not allowed to go into a slump.

He went 5 for 10 with a stolen base and 3 runs scored his last two games against Pittsburgh--must have popped a couple of greenies before those games.

Jpup
08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
.370 OBP in his last 30? He is doing his job. Keep him in there. I don't put any stock into anyone opinion if they are down on Freel because he has a horrible slugging percentage. That's not what he's there for.

TOBTTReds
08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Right when I thought he was tired he had 3 hits the next day. He's been playing great defense though too.

Although I would like to rest him more, we had no other options before with only Todd Hollandsworth. Maybe Hopper can give him a day off this weekend, or maybe give Dunn a rest.

ADDITION: I think having Norris Hopper around is big. If he comes in one day, even if he doesn't hit well, he should provide good defense. With Todd H, if he doesn't hit, he is kind of useless because he makes our OF worse if he plays for Freel. But if we have a couple games with Hopper and Freel in the same OF, we are gonna cover some ground.