PDA

View Full Version : Change In The Booth

RedLegSuperStar
08-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Steve Stewart will not be back in the Reds' radio booth next season.

Stewart has been informed that the team will not renew his contract next year, he said today. Stewart is in his second full season of work alongside Marty Brennaman after joining Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall on a part-time basis for the 2004 season.

The Reds are not expected to move to fill the opening until after this season. Former Fox 19 sports anchor Dan Hoard, who this year became the voice of the Pawtucket Red Sox, should be in the mix as a potential replacement. He was a finalist when Stewart got the job in 2004.

Brennaman is under contract through the 2007 season.

- From Marc Lancaster

2001MUgrad
08-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I saw that on the Live board. I'm shocked personally. Not necessarily sad as a Reds Fan. Steve Stewart won't have any trouble finding work.

redsrule2500
08-19-2006, 09:02 PM
What!!!

This is somewhat shocking. I'm not a huge fan of him, but I didn't dislike him either.

That's just crazy...

FlyingPig
08-19-2006, 09:18 PM
hmmmm

Marty and Joe (Morgan) nawww

Marty and Johnny (Bench) nawwwww

Marty and Tracy (Jones) nooooooo

Marty and Thom (one's enough)

Marty and Pete (bring back Pete!)

:(

(((Marty and Joe)))

I miss the old days...

RedLegSuperStar
08-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I'd like Joe Morgan but pulling him away from ESPN would cost us.

Candy Cummings
08-19-2006, 09:38 PM
I think Stewart was doing a great job. It's a shame. I rely on radio broadcasts, and I enjoyed his work.

Joe Morgan was a great player and a great Red. He is quite possibly the worst baseball announcer who ever lived. Let him come nowhere near our broadcasts.

FlyingPig
08-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Whoever becomes Marty's partner will have to accept the fact that the booth belongs to Marty.

Fullboat
08-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Hey! how about Marty & Grande.I'd give Marty 2 innings tops
before he clubs Grande with the Mic.:devil:

MaineRed
08-19-2006, 09:48 PM
It won't be a guy like Joe Morgan. Morgan has NO play by play experience.

That is something you need to keep in mind. They aren't going, IMO to hire a color guy. The person needs to be able to do play by play, on the RADIO. That is nothing close to anything Joe Morgan has ever done.

Some former players are in the radio booth. Mike Shannon is one. But it takes a special talent to do baseball radio play by play. Knowledge of the game is not enough.

You need to be more Vin Scully than you do Joe Morgan.

Reds4Life
08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Chris Welsh would be pretty good. Dan Hoard might be a possibility since he's going to be back doing UC basketball and football for WLW. Pineilla is doing broadcast work for FOX, he could be a factor if he doesn't get a job managing somewhere. Maybe Thom B? It would set it up for when Marty decides to retire.

I hope they don't try and give Joe the gig full time again, his days of calling a good game are long past.

redsrule2500
08-19-2006, 10:01 PM
I hope they don't try and give Joe the gig full time again, his days of calling a good game are long past.

I'd still prefer him to Stewart.

BoydsOfSummer
08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Great--fire the best of the lot (overall). Christ,I hope it's not so Joe can come back full time.

Hoard would be excellent. I really liked him when he'd fill in.

knuckler
08-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm sad to see this. I'll miss Steve Stewart. My favorite games to listen to all year are the ones with Steve and Joe. I love Marty when it's a close game and he's paying attention, but that's not much of the time. I also feel bad for Steve Stewart, who has quietly and with class endured a never-ending string of frat-boy banter and subtle putdowns from Marty since day one. There are a LOT worse announcers out there, and I wish Steve the best in finding a comfortable major-league spot. Maybe even St. Louis!

I'd bet the next announcer paired with Marty will be a former player, not a play-by-play man like Steve. There isn't room in the booth for Marty, Marty's ego, Marty's side jokes and non-game-related banter, and a play-by-play man.

RedLegSuperStar
08-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Updated 1st post with Marc's update

kbrake
08-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Joe Morgan would never do it, he has to be making a ton of money and he hardly works. One game a week for probably more money, it would make no sense for him to take this job.

smith288
08-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Need a player in there because u cant have two pip-squeaks calling games... Marty is about enough pip-squeakery.

LINEDRIVER
08-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Oh gosh, I hope it's not Dan Hoard. His baseball broadcasting makes him the king of 'corny'.

George Foster
08-19-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm sad to see this. I'll miss Steve Stewart. My favorite games to listen to all year are the ones with Steve and Joe.

What most people forget is that Steve had to move his family here. He has kids in school. He bought a house...this is a sad situation, I feel for him.

Reds Fanatic
08-19-2006, 11:54 PM
I am very surprised by this. I thought Steve did a good job. Sad to see him go when I am sure George Grande will be back in the TV booth next year.

WVRedsFan
08-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I am very surprised by this. I thought Steve did a good job. Sad to see him go when I am sure George Grande will be back in the TV booth next year.

Don't bet on it. I'd say this is the first of many changes in the media department of the Reds. Hide and watch.

MWM
08-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Good for Steve. No one should have to work under those conditions. I can tell you one thing, he's been the best guy they've had in the booth for the past two years.

And I agree on Dan Hoard, he's not very good....very cheesy.

BCubb2003
08-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Maybe Doc Hollywood will do more games.

Chip R
08-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Oh gosh, I hope it's not Dan Hoard. His baseball broadcasting makes him the king of 'corny'.

Not as long as Grande is around.

Unassisted
08-20-2006, 12:21 AM
One down, one to go. I would have preferred to keep this one, but maybe the other one will consider this a shot across the bow.

And we may never know this to be the case, but I'll just bet that there's already a plan for who will fill the empty seat.

Jpup
08-20-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm glad to see him go. I just didn't enjoy his work.

StillFunkyB
08-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Steve did a very good job at calling the game. He made the game easy to follow when listening. While I enjoy Marty B, Steve was able to keep me focused better on what was going on down on the field.

So, it's very obvious that to be on the air in Cincinnati, you have to talk about crap all the time. See Andy Furman, and all the others. Steve just didn't fit that mold.

Here's a clue Bob, if your going to fire someone, fire the people that bring nothing to the table. Fire Andy Furman, and Tracy Jones. No, instead of getting rid of the garbage you get rid of the ONE guy that actually does his job.

I guess Steve isn't exciting enough, I don't know. He isn't great, and he isn't bad either.

I just have a feeling the person to take over is going to be much worse. We'll see.

KittyDuran
08-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't think that BobC has a say over Furball and Jones because they are hired by WLW. IMHO, it will be a revolving door for a few seasons. [so don't get attached] Didn't Jones mentioned right before Steve was hired that he wouldn't want to be the first but the second guy hired because of the pressures?

Chip R
08-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Didn't Jones mentioned right before Steve was hired that he wouldn't want to be the first but the second guy hired because of the pressures?

Yep. I am thinking that an ex player may not be the choice unless he can do play by play as well. Marty is not going to want to do a full 9 innings of play by play and he is now taking vacations in the middle of the season. You really cannot count on Joe to take over for Marty when he is on vacation.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 08:39 AM
cincinnati.com has a poll up..

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060820/SPT04/399990107/1071

Larkin411
08-20-2006, 08:53 AM
I liked the Steve and Joe broadcasts the most this year. You could actually follow what was going on and you never had to worry about that bitter, simmering anger vibe coming in to play.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry but I couldn't imagine a game without Marty. He reacts as any fan would in the booth and I love that about him he's uncut and real.

MaineRed
08-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Here's a clue Bob, if your going to fire someone, fire the people that bring nothing to the table. Fire Andy Furman, and Tracy Jones. No, instead of getting rid of the garbage you get rid of the ONE guy that actually does his job..

I wouldn't be giving away too many of those clues. There seems to be a short supply there.

top6
08-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I thought Steve was average to above average, and seemed to be getting better all the time. This is opposed to Marty who is basically only good when something exciting is going on, and Tracy Jones who is probably the worst sports talk host I have ever listened to. (He's not terrible when he actually talks about baseball, but talking about sports seems to consist of about 10% of his sports talk show.) But as the people of Cincinnati's radio tastes seem to favor bitter old men complaining about young players, ex-pitchers who can no longer string together a complete sentence, openly racist political talk show hosts, and ex-jocks who spend their time fielding calls from drunks, it's hardly shocking that a good, competent play by play guy would have to be let go.

Roy Tucker
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
It should be interesting to see what direction the Reds go in. Do they hire another second-fiddle guy ala Steve S. or do they hire someone who could one day take over for Marty?

I used to think that Marty was here for as long as he wanted the job. But now I wonder a little. I've always really liked Marty, but even I am starting to tire a bit of his cranky guy act. He may not be as bullet-proof as he thinks he is.

As far as Steve Stewart goes, he is a good professional announcer. He handled a difficult situation here (the whole Nuxie thing) very well. I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere else and will do well. Good luck to him and his family.

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:13 PM
I never wish for anyone to be fired, that being said, I never enjoyed his pbp. Just always seemed flat to me.

Cedric
08-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I thought Steve was well below average in actually calling a game. He didn't set the moment up very well and he had trouble with any flyball. Just my two cents.

I hope for the best and he sounded like a very good guy though. I think this is huge for his resume, he'll find good work.

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I thought Steve was well below average in actually calling a game. He didn't set the moment up very well and he had trouble with any flyball. Just my two cents.

I hope for the best and he sounded like a very good guy though. I think this is huge for his resume, he'll find good work.

Agreed on all acounts.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
When Marty goes, everybody will realize how good he is, when listening to a Reds game doesn't have the same feel as it did...

We're lucky to have a guy of his caliber in this city.

paintmered
08-20-2006, 12:36 PM
When Marty goes, everybody will realize how good he is, when listening to a Reds game doesn't have the same feel as it did...

Of course it won't have the same feel to it. Most of us have been listening to Marty for three decades now and know no other form of Reds radio.

He's still one of the best at calling the action on the field. As long as he keeps his focus on the game, he's great. That said, his old codgy schtick has become really tiresome.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Of course it won't have the same feel to it. Most of us have been listening to Marty for three decades now and know no other form of Reds radio.

He's still one of the best at calling the action on the field. As long as he keeps his focus on the game, he's great. That said, his old codgy schtick has become really tiresome.

I find his "chatter" quite entertaining...but that's just me.

top6
08-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I agree that Marty was the best play by play guy, and can still be good. His call of Dunn's grand slam this year, for example, was amazing.

The reason I think he is bad is because he spends so much time trashing the team, and not in a way that is interesting or constructive. People wonder why attendance doesn't seem to reflect a pennant race; while there are many reasons, could one reason be that the team's primary spokesman has spent years whining and complaining about this team every chance he gets? When I hear Marty on the radio sounding bored and disgusted, it doesn't exactly make me want to rush out and buy a ticket to see the team play.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 12:55 PM
I agree that Marty was the best play by play guy, and can still be good. His call of Dunn's grand slam this year, for example, was amazing.

The reason I think he is bad is because he spends so much time trashing the team, and not in a way that is interesting or constructive. People wonder why attendance doesn't seem to reflect a pennant race; while there are many reasons, could one reason be that the team's primary spokesman has spent years whining and complaining about this team every chance he gets? When I hear Marty on the radio sounding bored and disgusted, it doesn't exactly make me want to rush out and buy a ticket to see the team play.

He credits them too...he gives guys praise just as he does criticism.

Wait....we do too on here, don't we? He's a fan just like us.

top6
08-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Wait....we do too on here, don't we? He's a fan just like us.No. He is not a fan just like us. He is paid by the Reds to announce their games, and he does so on one of the most powerful radio stations in the country to an audience of thousands.

I admit that I can't provide you with a list of Marty's complaints; I can only tell you that for the last five years or so almost every time I have listened to him he has sounded miserable to be watching the Reds.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
No. He is not a fan just like us. He is paid by the Reds to announce their games, and he does so on one of the most powerful radio stations in the country to an audience of thousands.

I admit that I can't provide you with a list of Marty's complaints; I can only tell you that for the last five years or so almost every time I have listened to him he has sounded miserable to be watching the Reds.

In the last 5 years, there wasn't a whole lot to be happy about.

If management had issue with what he does, they'd get rid of him, which in and of itself, would be a PR disaster.

I think he says, on the air, a lot of what we feel off the air.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-20-2006, 02:02 PM

We're lucky to have a guy of his caliber in this city.

:beerme:

I honestly don't understand all the negativity toward Marty. Honestly people...listen to some of the other guys out there. Marty is in Vin Scully's class. So he gets ticked with AD strikes out with runners at 2nd and 3rd and the Reds down one. So do we.

Wheelhouse
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
A good many people bash Marty on the board--but there will be a day when he won't be on the air, and I promise you, Reds broadcasts will not be as good.

PickOff
08-20-2006, 02:59 PM
IMO Steve was not a success calling play by play, and even less of a success when bantering with Marty. Joe, today, calls a better game than Steve because Joe has an unbeleivable sense of timing, and that hasn't deteriorated.

It is too bad that Steve wasn't able to perform well enough to get an extension, but I''m sure he'll find work. I would rate him at average to below average as well.

As far as Marty, he calls a great game, but IMO he puts too much emphasis on the trivia and other inside jokes at the expense of play by play, he could do a better job of mixing things in to keep me in the game. That is the thing about Joe, he is always in the game, even if he doesn't know any of the other teams players.

Chip R
08-20-2006, 05:29 PM
A good many people bash Marty on the board--but there will be a day when he won't be on the air, and I promise you, Reds broadcasts will not be as good.

That may be but remember two things: No one lasts forever and everyone is replaceable.

Cedric
08-20-2006, 05:53 PM
That may be but remember two things: No one lasts forever and everyone is replaceable.

There is no doubt in that. Everyone should be responsible for their work and can be replaced at any time. But Castelini isn't dumb. He knows that like it or not the average Joe Reds fan would have serious issues with the Reds canning Marty.

redsrule2500
08-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Marty > all

deltachi8
08-20-2006, 06:05 PM
:beerme:

I honestly don't understand all the negativity toward Marty. Honestly people...listen to some of the other guys out there. Marty is in Vin Scully's class. So he gets ticked with AD strikes out with runners at 2nd and 3rd and the Reds down one. So do we.

Sorry, no one still broadcasting is in Vin Scully's class.

Cedric
08-20-2006, 06:10 PM

Play by play I'll take Marty over any person alive.

Overall I'd take Scully.

Chip R
08-20-2006, 06:24 PM
But Castelini isn't dumb. He knows that like it or not the average Joe Reds fan would have serious issues with the Reds canning Marty.

I do not think Bob is crazy enough to sack Marty. However, there will come a day, whether it be by retirement, death or firing, that Marty will no longer do Reds games. That is a fact. Will Reds fans stop listening to the games on the radio cause Marty is not doing them anymore? Maybe at first but eventually they will come back.

Ltlabner
08-20-2006, 07:12 PM
As far as Marty, he calls a great game, but IMO he puts too much emphasis on the trivia and other inside jokes at the expense of play by play, he could do a better job of mixing things in to keep me in the game. That is the thing about Joe, he is always in the game, even if he doesn't know any of the other teams players.

Not to get off on a tangent and start another Marty thread, but I really don't understand the charge that the triva and offhand comments somehow overshadow the onfield action.

Everybody has different tastes and to each their own. But I sit at the games, with a radio in my ear and I compare what is happening on the field to what Marty is describing. In the 17 games I've been too this year (and many more on TV with sounded muted and radio on) I've never seen a descrepency or where he hasn't described what is going on to such a degree that a person would be lost.

He may miss a pitch here and there but my perception is that he quickly throws in what took place. But just today he totally stopped mid-sentence when a play happened. And he was talking about the game, just not the specific action at that particular second.

Even durring todays 2nd inning trivia question none of the action was missed, IMO. I think maybe 2 pitches were skipped. And then he quickly added something to the effect of "(insert pitchers name here) falls behind 2 and 1. I guess if you loose track of the entire game because two down and away pitches weren't described in detail then you would have been totally confused at that point.

Anyway, I know it's all personal taste and I'm not saying anybody is wrong or right. I just don't understand that particular critisim of his PBP.

MWM
08-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Depends on what you look for in a broadcast. I know it WILL be better for me. I thought Steve Stewart was markedly better than Marty.

TeamBoone
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I hate that they are shoving Steve out the door. I enjoy him very much, and as someone else said, he does the job the way it should be done... by watching the game and telling us what he sees!

I've read two articles about this and neither gives the reason for why his contract is not being renewed. Why would one make this announcement and give absolutely no reason for the decision? Who, how, why, where, when... they forgot the why. And if they ultimately say the fans don't like him, I'd like to know why I wasn't included in the poll.

Anyway, that seems a bit unprofessional to me, about as unprofessional as making the announcement so early. Yes, he wanted to know but maybe he didn't want all of Reds Country to know quite so early. Wonder who will bring it up first on the banana phone during the next rain delay.

Cedric
08-20-2006, 09:01 PM
I hate that they are shoving Steve out the door. I enjoy him very much, and as someone else said, he does the job the way it should be done... by watching the game and telling us what he sees!

I've read two articles about this and neither gives the reason for why his contract is not being renewed. Why would one make this announcement and give absolutely no reason for the decision? Who, how, why, where, when... they forgot the why. And if they ultimately say the fans don't like him, I'd like to know why I wasn't included in the poll.

Anyway, that seems a bit unprofessional to me, about as unprofessional as making the announcement so early. Yes, he wanted to know but maybe he didn't want all of Reds Country to know quite so early. Wonder who will bring it up first on the banana phone during the next rain delay.

Why would they need to say why? Unless he's beating his wife or something it's pretty obvious they don't like the way he calls games.

Why else do you get fired?

paintmered
08-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Why would they need to say why? Unless he's beating his wife or something it's pretty obvious they don't like the way he calls games.

Maybe they don't, but by judging by the responses in this thread, he's fairly well liked by his audience.

Cedric
08-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Maybe they don't, but by judging by the responses in this thread, he's fairly well liked by his audience.

What's that have to do with my responding to her question? They fired him, not me.

paintmered
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
What's that have to do with my responding to her question? They fired him, not me.

I know. I was just trying to make the point that he was fired despite being generally liked by his audience.

2001MUgrad
08-20-2006, 09:16 PM

I agree. I like his non-on the field commentary great. That is one of the things Steve Stewart never picked up on. Other than when Marty will get on Golf, I enjoy the non-on the field play by play. I wish at some point he would go on the air when the season is over and just tell stories from the past for 2 or 3 hours.

Yachtzee
08-20-2006, 09:22 PM

I believe the answer to that is "you never know." The Dodgers had Red Barber before Vin Scully came along. Barber actually mentored Scully before leaving to join the Yankees' broadcast team. For all we know, the next guy the Reds hire could be calling Reds' games for another half-century.

TeamBoone
08-20-2006, 09:23 PM

Actually, that doesn't have to be the reason at all.

Why else do you get fired?

People get fired for a multitude of reasons. When they don't come right out and say why, I'm more apt to think the reason is for something other than what appears to be "pretty obvious".

If it's not obvious to the listener (or a lot of listeners), then the reason is not obvious.

RANDY IN INDY
08-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Maybe the Reds just wanted a different presence in the booth than what they had with Steve Stewart. It doesn't mean he was bad, or did anything particularly wrong. Just not what they wanted.

Ltlabner
08-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Here's a thought about a possible replacement.

Kent Merker

Ex-player (most likely). Definatley would be chock full of player insights about this team. Funny guy with an upbeat sense of humor. Marty likes him (Marty's commented on him several times).

I've never heard him speak so I don't know if he can string together a sentence but just a wild thought.

KYRedsFan
08-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Sad to see him go, was really starting to like him.

Henry Clay
08-20-2006, 10:04 PM
I fully expect a former player to be Stewart's replacement. The new ownership team seems obsessed with bringing the Reds' past and tradition back to the forefront of the franchise. Stewart has no ties to the team, other than his brief tenure with the team and his wife's ties to the area. I tend to like his broadcasting style and have heard a lot of favorable comments, which makes me think that his style isn't the problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but between the "Power of Tradition" slogan, Reds' greats invited to ST, and new uniforms that are supposedly modeled on 50's Reds' colors, I think the spot next to Marty will be filled by someone from a Reds' past roster.

Chip R
08-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but between the "Power of Tradition" slogan, Reds' greats invited to ST, and new uniforms that are supposedly modeled on 50's Reds' colors, I think the spot next to Marty will be filled by someone from a Reds' past roster.

I see what you are thinking and that is quite plausable. But the $64,000 question is who does play by play when Marty is gone? That is why the only ex player I think we would see take the place of Steve is someone who has play by play skills. No matter what Bob wants, Marty is going to have some input here. I do not think Marty is going to recommend someone who can only offer analysis only.

Personally, I think this is going to be a bigger subject of discussion over the off season than any of the moves that Wayne may or may not make.

Unassisted
08-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Keep in mind that Marty's edict for Joe's replacement was that it had to be someone who could do PBP, because he wasn't going to do PBP for 9 innings. It's a rare player these days who can do play-by-play.

alloverjr
08-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Maybe the Reds just wanted a different presence in the booth than what they had with Steve Stewart. It doesn't mean he was bad, or did anything particularly wrong. Just not what they wanted.

IMO I think you've nailed it. A different team, a different approach and he may be the next big thing. I just see this as something that Cast wants and not something that had been called for by the fans.

Now, my opinion is that he was utterly horrendous his first year here. The little that I listened to him this year I thought he was miles ahead of where he was. I'm sure this was him getting comfortable in his new surroundings. But, I don't feel sorry for the guy. He didn't get fired per se, his contract was up. Anyone that works according to a time-defined contract understands the parameters whether they like the eventual ramifactions or not.

alloverjr
08-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Looking at possble replacements, I don't know what Hoard brings to the table that Stewart didn't. And I like Hoard. Almost has to be a former player (assuming they can pass the PBP test).

Henry Clay
08-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I heard Marty on Tracy Jones's show today, and he was raising the point about play-by-play skills. I'm sure Marty would like a polished play-by-play guy to be hired, but I have to think that ownership will figure that broadcasting skills will develop over time. I can't imagine why Stewart would be terminated at season's end just to bring in another mellow voiced non-player to sit next to Marty. I agree that Marty will lobby hard for play-by-play skills, but I just have a feeling that Castellini is driving this move. I also have a feeling that a former player is who Castellini has in mind. During Castellini's lifetime, two accomplished pitchers, Knuxall and Waite Hoyt, broadcast the Reds' games. The lack of a baseball veteran in the booth seems odd to me, and I lack the age to remember Hoyt. I just have a feeling that we will hear a former player in the booth next year.

Heath
08-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I didn't think Dan Hoard wanted the Reds Job because his wife was from up there in the Northeast and they wanted to be closer to her family.

Speaking of wives, I noticed that Steve Stewart's family was missing a spouse?

Tracy Jones is NOT the answer :pray:

Too bad he has no voice left - but I really liked Andy McWilliams.

Maybe our own writerdan from the Super Sports FM? :D (insert Clemson Joke here)

MaineRed
08-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I see Pete Rose is getting a strong 54% in the Enquirer poll. I wonder if there is any interest, from either party on this.

I just hope it is not Marty's son. That would not look goom IMO.

Also, is Dan Hoard the guy that used to the Reds games when George wasn't there?

If they didn't like Steve, what is Hoard going to bring?

Henry Clay
08-20-2006, 10:51 PM
I see Pete Rose is getting a strong 54% in the Enquirer poll. I wonder if there is any interest, from either party on this.

I don't think Rose is a possibililty. He is banned from baseball, and I think the Reds' broadcasters are hired by, and work for, the Reds.

TeamBoone
08-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Funny you should mention Kent Mercker.... and yes, he can string a sentence together (actually, he's very articulate), but because of the travel, I don't think he'd do it (though IMHO he'd be a very good candidate):

Mercker keeps sense of humor
Left-hander not disheartened by recent arm surgery
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Deep thoughts, with Kent Mercker.
Mercker was seated at his locker Sunday morning. His left arm was bandaged and in a sling following reconstructive elbow surgery last week. The idle time prompted the witty veteran reliever to pose the most interesting of observations to reporters.

"You guys remember [former pitcher] William Van Landingham?" Mercker asked "I'm glad he's not the first guy that had this. I'd be walking around going, 'Yeah, I had the William Van Landingham surgery.'

"Tommy John was the perfect guy to have this kind of surgery."

Mercker, who completely tore both the flexor tendon and ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow, had the complicated surgical procedure named after John on Thursday. A couple of days later, he watched a tape of Reds medical director Tim Kremchek performing the operation and called it "unbelievable."

"It was a little worse off than he thought once he went in there," Mercker said. ", he told me it'd take 45 minutes to an hour. It took 2 1/2 hours. Either he took a nap and came back or it was more extensive."

Complete recovery from Tommy John surgery usually takes a minimum of one year. At 38-years-old, Mercker wasn't sure he would pitch again and appeared leaning towards retirement. He has a wife and three children, ages 12, 9 and 5, he'd like to spend more time with.

"I'm assuming the first couple of months or three-four months of rehab would be the same whether you're rehabbing it to pitch or rehabbing it to live a normal life, play golf and play with the kids," Mercker said. "At some point, I'll have to make a decision if I want to start throwing again or not start throwing again."

Mercker was 1-1 with a 4.13 ERA in 37 games this season. A 16-year veteran, he tasted retirement once already in 2001 when he was jobless and recovering from a brain aneurysm.

"I know what it's like to be home," he said. "It's awesome."

[B]Broadcasting or coaching did not appear to be in the cards, either.

"The travel is the worst part of this game," Mercker said. "Everything else is great. The money is obviously good, but staying away from the family, so to do something like [broadcasting] or coach -- if I'm willing to travel, I'd try to come back [to pitch] and just see."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060820&content_id=1620184&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

PS - I don't think Thom would ever go to radio. He has a pretty good television gig that I'm sure pays a whole lot more. Plus, he and his family live in Phoenix, which I've heard he likes very much.

Big Klu
08-20-2006, 11:32 PM
I didn't think Dan Hoard wanted the Reds Job because his wife was from up there in the Northeast and they wanted to be closer to her family.

Speaking of wives, I noticed that Steve Stewart's family was missing a spouse?

Tracy Jones is NOT the answer :pray:

Too bad he has no voice left - but I really liked Andy McWilliams.

Maybe our own writerdan from the Super Sports FM? :D (insert Clemson Joke here)

What happened to Andy Mac? I don't live in the Cincinnati area, so I don't hear much info about the local radio guys.

cincinnati chili
08-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Christ,I hope it's not so Joe can come back full time.

My sentiments exactly. Steve's play by play skills were fine. I wonder if Marty just didn't like him.

cincinnati chili
08-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Joe has an unbeleivable sense of timing

WHAT?

The ability to mispronounce an opposing player's name at the most opportune time?

redsrule2500
08-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Depends on what you look for in a broadcast. I know it WILL be better for me. I thought Steve Stewart was markedly better than Marty.

You are extremely wrong, Marty is a Reds Fan. Stewart is not.

Cedric
08-21-2006, 12:12 AM
You are extremely wrong.

It's all opinions man.

Ron Madden
08-21-2006, 12:55 AM
I think Steve does very well calling pbp.

The most important part of doing pbp on radio is describing the action on the field to listeners. (who are unable to see the action) Steve does a great job of that.

Noone is better than Marty when it comes to HR or game winning play calls. Other than that I'd rather listen to Steve call pbp.

I'm sad to see this, Steve has shown nothing but class since being hired by the Reds. I wish him the best. I'll miss him. :(

MartyFan
08-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Marty > all

:cool: :cool: :cool: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beerme: :beerme: :beerme: :beerme: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Jpup
08-21-2006, 07:17 AM

I disagree. Scully is not what he once was. He is one of the greatest ever, but he doesn't have it like he used to.

knuckler
08-21-2006, 07:52 AM
I agree totally with this outstanding article from the Dayton Daily News. I think it was Red Barber who used to keep an egg timer in the booth, and every time he would give the score he'd flip it over to remind him to give the score again when it ran out. Unless it's Steve Stewart's inning, I usually have to go the internet to find out the score and catch up on how it got to that point.

Without Stewart, keeping score harder for Reds fans
By Ted Cox

Cincinnati Reds broadcaster Steve "The Bad Boy" Stewart won't be brought back in 2007, and that's bad news for us baseball fans who lead busy lives.

Sure, Stewart isn't flashy, controversial or worth mimicking like many other radio broadcasters. But those things all become secondary when you're driving home from work, driving to a youth game, picking up groceries, handling yardwork or dealing with baby-sitting duty while listening to the radio.

When I tune into WLW-AM, I just want the score ... and now. And before I tune out for the next errand or distraction, I want a quick summary of what I've missed.

You would think that wouldn't be hard to do, but I've often listened to Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall for 5, 10 or even 15 minutes without having a clue what the score is.

Stewart rarely goes more than a minute without giving out the score. And he always works in what's happened in the game.

God bless the legendary Nuxhall, but sometimes I can't even figure out what is happening while he's calling the action.

I love Brennaman's flair, and his rants are part of the reason he's in the Hall of Fame. But sometimes they would mean more to me if I knew the context.

Stewart's repetitiveness might get old if one sits through the entire broadcast, focusing only on him and Brennaman. But how many people listen to the radio that way compared with the number who listen while on the move?

So I hope the Reds don't overlook the broadcast's substance in their quest for sizzle when they look to replace Stewart.

Moosie52
08-21-2006, 08:04 AM
I am apparently in the minority, but I find Steve to be B-O-R-I-N-G. He constantly makes mistakes and has to correct himself. I'm glad after two years a change is being made. The Reds can do better.

Heath
08-21-2006, 09:46 AM
What happened to Andy Mac? I don't live in the Cincinnati area, so I don't hear much info about the local radio guys.

He had a problem with his voice and he couldn't give a clear or consistent tone. WLW just let him go, and he wasn't too thrilled about that.

dabvu2498
08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
He had a problem with his voice and he couldn't give a clear or consistent tone. WLW just let him go, and he wasn't too thrilled about that.
I heard Andy Mac doing a high school football game maybe two years ago. His voice is still in bad shape. I used to love him on X basketball games.

registerthis
08-21-2006, 09:56 AM
I am apparently in the minority, but I find Steve to be B-O-R-I-N-G. He constantly makes mistakes and has to correct himself. I'm glad after two years a change is being made. The Reds can do better.

You're not in the minority at all--I haven't noticed the mistakes as much as the fact that I find myself drifting when Steve's doing PBP. The Reds CAN do better.

boobhat
08-21-2006, 10:12 AM
i was listening to the radio and they said they were going to hire the boobhat

WVRedsFan
08-21-2006, 10:22 AM
One of the great things about XM Radio is the score is always on the screen of the radio, so for me, it makes the announcer giving it not necessary.

IslandRed
08-21-2006, 10:34 AM
One of the great things about XM Radio is the score is always on the screen of the radio, so for me, it makes the announcer giving it not necessary.

I love that. And it's true that a lot of people are also listening while on the Internet or maybe watching on TV or even at the ballpark. But a radio PBP guy can't make the assumptions that the listener can see what's happening or has a score ticker in front of him. It's a definite balancing act for an announcer to keep the just-tuned-ins from waiting too long to find out what's the deal, without being so repetitive as to bore the people who have been listening the whole time.

dabvu2498
08-21-2006, 10:36 AM
I love that. And it's true that a lot of people are also listening while on the Internet or maybe watching on TV or even at the ballpark. But a radio PBP guy can't make the assumptions that the listener can see what's happening or has a score ticker in front of him. It's a definite balancing act for an announcer to keep the just-tuned-ins from waiting too long to find out what's the deal, without being so repetitive as to bore the people who have been listening the whole time.
John Miller used to (still does maybe) use an egg-timer, to remind himself to update the score at regular intervals throughout the broadcast.

REDREAD
08-21-2006, 11:25 AM

Maybe you know who he's talking about with all those inside jokes? If so, I could understand how it would be funny. However, most of us are totally in the dark.

Also, when he goes off topic big, he totally ignores the entire game. For example, his recent poll on what to name his cat. It would be one thing if he just announced his stupid poll and then gave an update 5 innings later. But he just went on and on, and read every email about it.

REDREAD
08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
If management had issue with what he does, they'd get rid of him, which in and of itself, would be a PR disaster.

Actually, I doubt there'd be that much of a disaster. People got over Joe being let go. 99% of the people are listening to WLW to hear the game, not Marty.

If they canned Marty in the offseason and let him have his month of venting to all the writers in January, I doubt it would affect ratings at all the next season.

REDREAD
08-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I see what you are thinking and that is quite plausable. But the $64,000 question is who does play by play when Marty is gone?

Let's cross that bridge when we get to it. The last time, the Reds decided they needed to bring in "Marty's future replacement", and that failed.

Let's worry about making the broadcast as good as possible now. IMO, it's a lot easier to find a competent play by play guy than an interesting color guy.

Marty is probably going to want to hang around another 5 years anyhow. (My guess).

MaineRed
08-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Actually, I doubt there'd be that much of a disaster. People got over Joe being let go. 99% of the people are listening to WLW to hear the game, not Marty.

Agreed. I've never seen anyone blow off a loss because Marty called a great game.

BCubb2003
08-21-2006, 12:42 PM
People got over Joe being let go.

Joe was let go?

I hear what you're saying, but I think his situation is a good example of how hard it will be to get rid of Marty. It might not bother most of us, but don't underestimate the power of the "Hi Steve can I talk to Marty" Banana Phone callers.

flyer85
08-21-2006, 12:46 PM
You're not in the minority at all--I haven't noticed the mistakes as much as the fact that I find myself drifting when Steve's doing PBP. The Reds CAN do better.I agree with the former about the "Bad Boy".

However, with Marty and his current rules of engagement, I am not sure the Reds can do any better.

TeamBoone
08-21-2006, 02:09 PM

Constantly makes mistakes?

I suppose you can say a lot about Steve if you don't like him in the booth (I do), but I would never ever have believed that this could be one of them.

I heartily disagree.

I find myself drifting when Steve's doing PBP.

How can you drift when what he's doing is telling you what's happening on the field?

TeamBoone
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM

That's nice WVRF, but not everyone has XM Radio; in fact, I would venture that more don't than do... and even they do, they may not be standing/sitting right next to it all the time.

registerthis
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
How can you drift when what he's doing is telling you what's happening on the field?

Because baseball PBP is more than simply reciting the action on the field. I find that Steve doesn't add much to his calls of the game, and I just don't enjoy listening to him as much. Don't know how much more clearly I can state that.

WVRedsFan
08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
That's nice WVRF, but not everyone has XM Radio; in fact, I would venture that more don't than do... and even they do, they may not be standing/sitting right next to it all the time.

I know. That's just one of the features I like and if I lived in Cincinnati, I'd listen on WLW anyway. Unfortunately, I don't.

I can always tell by the mood or voice inflections of the announcer who is winning and who is losing, though. That is, except for George Grande who is always cheery. I'll never forget listening to a Reds game in Pittsburgh on KDKA some time back and Lanny was simply in deep depression over his Buccos getting killed by the Reds. I also like the announcers who call an opposing HR as it were the end of the world. Let's the fan know it wasn't a good thing at all.

Matt700wlw
08-21-2006, 03:03 PM
I think Stewart was doing a great job. It's a shame. I rely on radio broadcasts, and I enjoyed his work.

Joe Morgan was a great player and a great Red. He is quite possibly the worst baseball announcer who ever lived. Let him come nowhere near our broadcasts.

He wouldn't leave his ESPN gig anyway.

Matt700wlw
08-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Here's a clue Bob, if your going to fire someone, fire the people that bring nothing to the table. Fire Andy Furman, and Tracy Jones. No, instead of getting rid of the garbage you get rid of the ONE guy that actually does his job.

Bob Castellini can't fire Andy Furman or Tracy Jones...they're not employed by the Reds.

GullyFoyle
08-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't enjoy Marty's announcing...

I listen to other teams a lot (like Boston) and I tend to enjoy their announcers more. A couple of times this season I have listen to the opposing teams broadcast because of some of Marty's rants.

All that being said I really like the games that Joe and Steve call. The tend to make up for each others faults...

Steve is clear and follows the game well... Joe brings some life and flavor.

Sorry to see Steve go, but I hope they fix what I find to be a poor broadcast.

Matt700wlw
08-21-2006, 03:25 PM

I would love the see Pete Rose, I hear him on with Furman or whomever, and I could listen to him talk baseball all day long. However, considering his status with baseball...it's probably a long shot (unless there's something going on that we don't know about).

Joe Buck took over for Jack Buck didn't he?

Matt700wlw
08-21-2006, 03:32 PM

It's actually a little better now, and he can talk better than he could before, thanks to modern medicine, but he still has trouble.

Sad story. He was good, and he really enjoyed doing the Xavier games.

MartyFan
08-21-2006, 03:42 PM

Also, is Dan Hoard the guy that used to the Reds games when George wasn't there?

If they didn't like Steve, what is Hoard going to bring?

Thom B is a GREAT broadcaster but I don't see him as even a thought...he is signed on with Fox to do their games of the week and also doing NFL colorl and in studio Pre-game NFL.

With all of the minor league teams there are out there I am sure it is possible to find a polished, professional, play by play person to sink into the booth.

Rose is not a possiblity at this point because the broadcasters all have to be approved by MLB...Rose is not in that fraternity.

Morgan would be great but...he makes too much jack.

Who knows...maybe the team will blow the whole thing up and bring in a couple new people to team with Marty...have a person roaming the stands for fan feedback during the game...have then in the dugout or in the BP to do on the spot interviews to take people even more inside the game.

Still pushing the cart of the Paul Kiels Bandwagon...LOVE this guys approach to the games he already does...he stays out of the way of the action without leaving you left out of the game.

just some more thoughts...

Redsland
08-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I think Dennis Miller is available.

:help:

Heath
08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Lance McAlister's stumping for Thom Brennaman.

You can cross him off then.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 02:09 AM
I would be totally shocked if Thom B would even consider going from national TV to radio. That doesn't even make sense.

And as much as I respect Joe Morgan, I absolutely hate listening to him broadcast a game. Just hate it!

Ron Madden
08-22-2006, 04:10 AM
My opinion will no doubt be misunderstood by some. I've already been labeled as a "Marty Hater" while nothing could be farther from the truth.

Marty is one of The Best pbp broadcasters I've ever heard.
I've always said Nobody calls HR's or game winning hits as well as Marty. He deserves is spot in the HOF.

(IMHO) Listeners depend on pbp just as much in the 5th inning as they do in the 9th inning. Marty sometimes gets too involved with things other than pbp during the middle innings nowdays.

I'm afraid the Casual Reds Fan and Listener to WLW will never accept anyone other than Marty and Joe in the broadcast booth.

Steve never had a prayer. :(

BCubb2003
08-22-2006, 04:13 AM
Sounds like the way is clear for Caveat Emperor. His time is now.

RANDY IN INDY
08-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Steve never had a prayer.

I remember the same things being said about a young broadcaster in the spring and summer of 1974. Bring enough to the table and you have a chance. I don't believe that Steve will ever be a Hall of Fame broadcaster. Just my opinion.

RBA
08-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Harold Reynolds? Jr's buddy.

bucksfan
08-22-2006, 12:56 PM
I've depended on the radio broadcast team for most of my Reds game info for nearly my whole life. As such, I've grown quite attached to Joe and accustomed to Marty. As Ron mentions above, I think Marty is just plain excellent at play-by-play when he does not get caught up too much in the side-line things and his calls of key moments are fantastic.

As far as Steve, he did start to grow on me, but I still never really liked his style. It seemed he never had a clue on any fly ball hit within 40 feet of the warning track. Every homerun seemed like it surprised him. It's maybe a petty thing but it bugged me. But like I said, he did start to grow on me as he seems like a genuinely nice person. I agree with some others who have said they enjoyed his recent work with Joe. It seems too bad that he is functioning now as a lame-duck announcer. He may be repaced with someone better, but I personally was willing to give him a couple more years.

I cannot stress how much I would dread Alan Cutler - just a personality I cannot stand. I get Tracy's shtick, and even Furball's to some extent, although I don't always like it and wish that they would stick more to just "being themselves - not doing their shtick" - BUT I have no real clue about Cutler other than I cannot stand to listen to him. Unless he has a "whole 'nother" personality hidden from my ears thus far, he would be my absolute worst nightmare as an announcer.

Chip R
08-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Perhaps the solution is just to hire an analyst - like Browning - and have Marty do play by play for all 9 innings. He may not like it but what is he going to do, quit?

Matt700wlw
08-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Like Marty or not....the last 2 innings of PBP last night were pure beauty.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 03:54 PM

Of course they were. They always are when the Reds are winning (especially coming from behind to win).

REDREAD
08-22-2006, 06:54 PM

I didn't hear it, but I agree with you. When Marty wants to trot out his "A" game, he's still great. I just wish he'd do it more often. We are in a pennant race this year, so he shouldn't be bored during games.

BoydsOfSummer
08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
The later innings are when you are most likely to catch Marty at his best these days.