PDA

View Full Version : Moyer to Philly?

Royals Fan
08-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Jamie Moyer and cash traded from Seattle to Philly for 2 prospects per Rotoworld

BEETTLEBUG
08-20-2006, 08:00 AM
How come the Reds couldn't have given up TWO minor league pitchers not named Bailey and got Moyer instead of arm in Bullpen?

Always Red
08-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Jamie Moyer is 57 years old and has been beat like a rented mule for the last 6 weeks (I only slightly exaggerate) after a decent start to the season. He's had a fine career, but I don't think he's the answer to the Red's problems, and he's obviously at the end of his career.

I don't want the Reds to throw away any more of the future in order to try to scrape into the wild card this year.

mth123
08-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Jamie Moyer is 57 years old and has been beat like a rented mule for the last 6 weeks (I only slightly exaggerate) after a decent start to the season. He's had a fine career, but I don't think he's the answer to the Red's problems, and he's obviously at the end of his career.

I don't want the Reds to throw away any more of the future in order to try to scrape into the wild card this year.

I tend to agree with this. I also think that going from Safeco to Philly (or GABP) probably will expose him some. I don't know about his FB/GB rates though.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Phillies Acquired pitcher Jamie Moyer and cash from the Seattle Mariners for pitchers Andrew Barb and Andrew Baldwin.

Newman4
08-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Moyer to Philly? I think his predicting his success there can best be described by the philosopher from the early '90s, one, Mr. M.C. Hammer:

HAMMER TIME

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/ugotthelook/images/mc_hammer.jpg

mbgrayson
08-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I also think that going from Safeco to Philly (or GABP) probably will expose him some. I don't know about his FB/GB rates though.

I like Jamie Moyer....great guy, community leader, with the Mariners for 10 years. He is 43 years old(11/18/62), probably in his last year. But....

At home this year in Safeco, he has a 3.80 ERA, with a .259 BAA. On the road, his ERA jumps to 5.29, with a .329 BAA. At Safeco, he gives up a HR on average once every 7.46 innings. On the road, he gives one up on average every 5.25 innings. ( a total of 25 HRs allowed this year so far).

The Hardball Times rates that SAFECO gives up about 5% fewer HRs than average, while Citizen's Bank Park in Philly gives up 7% more than average.

From the 2006 Baseball Prospectus on Moyer:
"Moyer went 10-0 with a 2.95 ERA in 17 starts at Safeco last year, but just 3-7 with a 6.11 ERA and 16 HRs allowed in 15 starts on the road. Unable to miss bats (his strike out rate was the second lowest of his career), Moyer is at the whim of his defense and the park behind him. Without the safety of Safeco's distant walls, he's a replacement level pitcher, a pity given his ability to deceive batters and keep the ball in the park at home. ..."

HERE (http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=1091&position=P&page=9&type=full) are his groundball/flyball/line drive rates....He is a flyball pitcher.

We were wise not to put him in GABP...

mth123
08-20-2006, 10:10 AM

We were wise not to put him in GABP...

I agree. Thanks for the link. Thought so.

RedsManRick
08-20-2006, 10:27 AM
What a stupid move by the Phils. Next you'll see some team with a bandbox park give Eric Milton 25 Million....

blumj
08-20-2006, 03:38 PM
He's from Philly and had no trade rights. This was more the Mariners letting him go home to finish his career.

Tom Lawless Fan
08-20-2006, 05:10 PM
i wish we could gethim hes got a nasty fastball.

Rocket_Fuel
08-20-2006, 08:40 PM
What a stupid move by the Phils. Next you'll see some team with a bandbox park give Eric Milton 25 Million....

That makes the Philly's move even dumber. Replacing Milton with a similar pitcher who is over 10 years older?

GoGoWhiteSox
08-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Moyer's gonna get lit up like a Christmas tree in Philly.

Jpup
08-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Moyer's gonna get lit up like a Christmas tree in Philly.

As long as it's not St. Louis doing the lighting, that's good news.

EDIT: St. Louis doesn't play Philly the rest of the year. The Reds should be OK. The Phillies don't really play anyone, other than Houston, that the Reds should be concerned with.