08-20-2006, 06:15 PM
two more to equal John Paciorek

Chip R
08-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Nice hit today, Dennis. ;)

Always Red
08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Nice hit today, Dennis. ;)
Congrats to Norris Hopper, on his first major league hit!

Norris is 27 yo, was leading the International league in batting average, and came to the Reds system from the Royals last year. He spent part of spring training with the Reds, started out in AA, and was quickly promoted to AAA Louisville.

Ltlabner
08-20-2006, 09:20 PM
That must be such a total thrill to get your first MLB hit in your first MLB at bat. Here's to many more years of success for the young man.

Did I hear somewhere that he spent some time at 2B in his past?

goreds2
08-20-2006, 09:44 PM
That must be such a total thrill to get your first MLB hit in your first MLB at bat. Here's to many more years of success for the young man.

Did I hear somewhere that he spent some time at 2B in his past?

Yes, he can play 2nd base.

NOTE: Tracy Jones said tonight that no one made a big deal out of HIS first MLB hit. ;) :laugh:

Always Red
08-20-2006, 09:45 PM
NOTE: Tracy Jones said tonight that no one made a big deal out of HIS first MLB hit. ;) :laugh:
Well, Tracy played the game. And Norris did not....until today:)

Rex Argos
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Hopper got an extended standing O for his first big league hit. It was probably the best moment of Sunday afternoon--other than the victory.

mbgrayson
08-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Norris Hopper, 2B, OF
http://www.graysonlawfirm.com/Hopper2.JPG

Height/Weight: 5-10/175
Birthdate: 03/24/1979
Birthplace: Shelby, NC
Bats/Throws: R/R
Team: Cincinnati
College: None
MLB Experience: Rookie
Drafted: Selected by Kansas City Royals in 8th Round (227th overall) of 1998 amateur entry draft (June-Reg)

Stats in Louisville:
http://www.graysonlawfirm.com/Hopper.JPG

Norris Hopper had a pinch-hit single in the eighth inning in his first career plate appearance. (Updated 08/20/2006).

Stats: Click here:
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/norris-hopper.shtml

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=440361

Louisville, KY - Outfielder Norris Hopper has been named Hitter of the Month for July for the Louisville Bats.
During the month of July, Hopper batted a league high .406 with 12 runs scored and 10 RBI. His seven stolen bases led the team during the month as did his .424 on-base percentage. For the year, Hopper is batting a team high .347 with 20 stolen bases. The 27-year-old Hopper is in his first full year at the Triple-A level. He ranked seventh among all Reds minor leaguers with a .310 batting average at Double-A Chattanooga in 2005.

redsupport
08-20-2006, 10:19 PM
he is now tied with steve christmas on the reds all time hit list and is one ahead of Mike de la Hoz. How lugubrious

Big Klu
08-20-2006, 10:23 PM

Maybe that's because the fans were still mad about the horribly bad misplay Jones made in LF in the top of the first inning. :devil:

MaineRed
08-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Looks like a good guy to have around. He has proven he can hit and he has 20 steals so he will be able to come in and pinch run in late inning situations. When Denorfia went back down, the Reds lost that ability.

I'm sure he is no savior but he seems to fill a hole on this club.

I think I heard he is 2nd in all of AAA in hitting.

The Baumer
08-20-2006, 10:31 PM
The only 'stat' I'm interested in is Norris Hopper's name. It is the joined awesomeness of two classic bad a$$es Chuck Norris and Dennis Hopper. WELCOME TO THE 25-MAN.

Chip R
08-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Maybe that's because the fans were still mad about the horribly bad misplay Jones made in LF in the top of the first inning. :devil:

Funny he did not mention that. :lol:

Big Klu
08-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Funny he did not mention that. :lol:

It's true. Jones got the surprise start in LF on Opening Day against Steve Carlton and the Phillies when Tony Perez was unable to go (Nick Esasky moved from LF to 1B to take over for Perez). On the first play of the game, Phillies LF Gary Redus (who had been traded along with Tom Hume during the offseason from the Reds to the Phils for John Denny and Jeff Gray) hit a ball to LF that Jones misplayed, and it went over his head to the wall for a double. Mario Soto stared Jones down all the way from the pitcher's mound after that play. If looks could kill, Jones would have been dead on the spot.

TeamBoone
08-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Tracy Jones said tonight that no one made a big deal out of HIS first MLB hit.

I think he was referring to the guys in the dugout. And they often do this just to prank on the rookies a little. I'm sure they did make a big deal about it after one of them handed him the ball. :thumbup:

Kc61
08-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Can Mr. Hopper play the field decently?

guttle11
08-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Hopper reminds me of Dernell Stinson. That journyman type guy who just knows how to hit the baseball. I hope he can excel the way Dernell did in his short time here.

RIP Dernell.

redsupport
08-20-2006, 11:44 PM
oh the royals have been fleeced just like when we got donnie sadler a preeminent talent

TeamBoone
08-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Hopper reminds me of Dernell Stinson. That journyman type guy who just knows how to hit the baseball. I hope he can excel the way Dernell did in his short time here.

RIP Dernell.

Wasn't Dernell too young to be considered a journeyman? How many teams had he played with?

I miss him... he had such a future ahead of him.

MaineRed
08-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Didn't Donnie Sadler have an OBP of about .100?

Though I do remember him scoring from second on a sac fly in Arizona one night.

Maybe the fastest guy to ever play baseball.

But he just couldn't get on base.

dabvu2498
08-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Wasn't Dernell too young to be considered a journeyman? How many teams had he played with?

I miss him... he had such a future ahead of him.
Stenson was 25 when he made his MLB debut. Before the Reds picked him up off waivers, his only previous organization was the Red Sox. He did spend 4 straight years in Pawtucket.

remdog
08-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Herb Washington was possibly the fastest man to ever play baseball....but he couldn't get on base either, unless Charlie Finley wanted him to pinch-run. :laugh:

Rem

RedFanAlways1966
08-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Herb Washington was possibly the fastest man to ever play baseball....but he couldn't get on base either, unless Charlie Finley wanted him to pinch-run. :laugh:

This is who came to mind for me, rem. I do not think there are too many MLB players have had Pinch Runner shown as thier position on their Topps baseball card. :)

Big Klu
08-21-2006, 11:39 AM
I know that he is someone who many here at RedsZone despise (personally, I liked him), but Deion Sanders could really fly around the basepaths. Watching him hit a triple or inside-the-park HR was exciting!

redsupport
08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
dick simpson was fast

TeamBoone
08-21-2006, 01:31 PM
08-21-2006

Rookie makes good first impression
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

The road from Louisville to Cincinnati might as well have been paved with mud Sunday morning.

"It seemed like forever," said Norris Hopper. "The truck wasn't moving fast enough."

It was barely two hours before the Reds' game against the Pirates that Hopper got the call he'd been awaiting his entire life from Louisville manager Rick Sweet. With Reds pitcher Chris Michalak headed to the bereavement list, Hopper was on his way to the major leagues for the first time.

"Rick Sweet just told me, 'Get up, get to the ballpark, you're going up,'" Hopper recounted. "I asked him, 'What'd you say?' and he said, 'You heard me - get to the ballpark and pack your things.' I believe I left a lot of things there, because I just ran out the door trying to get up here."

Hopper's hustle was worth it. The Reds used only one pinch-hitter in Sunday's victory, and the rookie got the call. Coming on to hit for Aaron Harang with one out and a runner on first base in the eighth inning, Hopper sent a clean single through the hole into left field. He became the first Reds player to collect a hit in his first major league plate appearance since Wily Mo Pena did it Sept. 10, 2002.

"You just take it as baseball," Hopper said of his approach to his debut at-bat. "I've been playing it ever since I was 6 years old, and I just told myself, 'It's a game - just have fun with it.'"

It worked. Pirates left fielder Jason Bay scooped up the ball and tossed it to Reds third base coach Mark Berry, who relayed it to bench coach Bucky Dent, who tossed it to assistant trainer Steve Baumann. Hopper said the ball eventually will end up in the hands of his 18-month-old son, Jaden.

It was a fitting highlight to a dream season for Hopper. He came to the majors as the International League's leading hitter, at .349, and his 24 steals in Louisville were 10 more than any of his teammates. He can play all three outfield positions and second base if necessary, though he has primarily been an outfielder this year.

Hopper has always hit, though never this consistently. His career average from eight minor league seasons entering this year was .283, including a career-high .310 campaign last year in Chattanooga. Hopper signed with the Reds as a six-year minor league free agent before last season, coming over from the Royals organization.

The 27-year-old's work for the Reds' Class AA affiliate last season earned him some cameo appearances with the big-league club in spring training this year. Used as an extra player to close out the late innings of games, Hopper made nine appearances and went 4-for-13 (.308) at the plate.

"He impressed all of us here on the big-league staff this spring," said Reds manager Jerry Narron. "I know a lot of people in the organization had him penciled in at Double-A again this summer, but I know the big-league staff was really hoping he'd get a shot at Triple-A and see what he could do and he's been pretty successful down there."

It remains to be seen how long Hopper will be able to stick in the majors, but going back down was the furthest thing from his mind Sunday.

"I'm still floating right now," he said. "My feet haven't touched the ground yet. It's just awesome, unbelievable."
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/SPT05/608210340/1027