PDA

View Full Version : Commercials at the ballgame.

Ltlabner
08-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't know how the rest of you feel but there are simply far to many commericals in the midst of the game down at GABP. The Skyline Chili Shuffle is compeltey pointless. The Snappy Tomato Pizza give away is a waste. The Chevy animated car race is also totally worthless. The Big Red Sofa, "move to a better seat" deal is pretty lame too. Then you have the SBC Dental Smile Cam, the Cincy Bell Wireless fan pictures and several more I can't remember right now.

I know they have to hawk their products, but why can't they just give away a row of coneys and then announce "Skyline Chili just gave away a row of coneys to section 435, Row F. Stop by after the game for some 5-ways" or whatever. They get their plug and we don't have to endure the "Chili Shuffle" for the 100th time.

Krogers sponsers the baseball bloopers bit. That's a pretty good way of doing it. Krogers gets a plug and the fans get to see some plays.

I'd love it if they cut out all of that crap and fill the time with highlights from other games, especially relevant ones to the Reds (someone beats a WC competitor, St Louis looses, etc).

Ok....I'm done ranting.

For now. :)

Cedric
08-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I always loved how the Dayton Dragons do it. They manage to include the fans in the inning breaks and they don't hawk products every second.

joshnky
08-20-2006, 08:46 PM
If it pays the bills and keeps ticket prices down, I could care less about the advertisements. In this society ads are a part of life and I've learned to just tune them out.

Team Clark
08-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I always loved how the Dayton Dragons do it. They manage to include the fans in the inning breaks and they don't hawk products every second.

You're not kidding. They do a wonderful job. So do the Cleveland Indians. It's not rocket science. As long as I have been going to Reds games, which is now 28 years, (first game 1978 as a 4 yr old) it always seemed that the Reds were a step behind or did things second class. That was one reason that Cal Levy was canned. There is a lot more of that to come this off season.

top6
08-20-2006, 09:29 PM
This is why I love Wrigley Field - there are no bells and whistles - nothing but ivy, baseball, and a dear old friend that I call beer.

The only downside is that the Cubs are also usually there.

Red in Chicago
08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
i actually like the skyline chili shuffle...could really do away with the chevy race, though...very stupid...

Red in Chicago
08-20-2006, 09:59 PM
This is why I love Wrigley Field - there are no bells and whistles - nothing but ivy, baseball, and a dear old friend that I call beer.

The only downside is that the Cubs are also usually there.

what's to like? the park is falling a part...the bathrooms are totally gross...the last time i was there, there were so many pigeons up in the rafters, that both my dad and my friend each got an unexpected surprise bombing, if you get my drift...i'd rather visit the cell for a local game...

TOBTTReds
08-20-2006, 10:01 PM
The Snappy Tomato Pizza give away is a waste.

You obviously have never been to Snappy. Probably the best pizza ever, and the buffet is darn good. I dream of getting to spin the will and winning. 52 weeks of free Snappy!!! That is snapping good!

terminator
08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Wow, I'd vote Snappy the worst pizza in town. I only go there every few years because that's how long it takes me to forget how lousy it was the last time I was there.

Anyway, on topic, way too many ads at the games. Way too many ads on the radio too, so I tend to follow along on the Internet (Yahoo) these days. I remember the "good ol' days" when the broadcasters didn't interrupt every other play hawking merchandise or services. I don't care whether it's Marty, Steve, Joe or JimBob in the booth, just cut back on the commercials.

reds1869
08-21-2006, 09:35 AM
If I win a year of Snappy Tomato pizza I'll give it to you, AvesIce51. can't stand the stuff.

I don't really mind the in park ads to be honest. The one thing that does irritate me is the fake ads George and Chris do on FSN. Must you really start every ad with "hey" and pretend you're really talking (i.e., shouting) about JTM casually? Does anyone actually do this? "LaRue grounds to first and there's one down. HEY MEAT, TRY OUR NEW JTM GRILLIN RIBS! THEY"RE MORE OF WHAT YOU'RE LOOKIN' FOR." Painful stuff.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-21-2006, 10:16 AM
If I win a year of Snappy Tomato pizza I'll give it to you, AvesIce51. can't stand the stuff.

I don't really mind the in park ads to be honest. The one thing that does irritate me is the fake ads George and Chris do on FSN. Must you really start every ad with "hey" and pretend you're really talking (i.e., shouting) about JTM casually? Does anyone actually do this? "LaRue grounds to first and there's one down. HEY MEAT, TRY OUR NEW JTM GRILLIN RIBS! THEY"RE MORE OF WHAT YOU'RE LOOKIN' FOR." Painful stuff.

lol, I actually think it's kind of funny when they come up with a horrible segue to get to that product placement

REDREAD
08-21-2006, 10:21 PM
That was one reason that Cal Levy was canned. There is a lot more of that to come this off season.

Now that's a tease.. Oh please, Cast, fire John Allen :)