PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo versus the Astros

thatcoolguy_22
08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
JUN 03 @HOU 1w 0l 6.0ip 8hits 2runs 0er 1bb 6k

JUL 26 @HOU 0w 1l 6.2ip 8hits 8runs 7er 3HR 1bb 7k

Combined to give up 16 hits over 12.2 innings against the astros... the first game no earned runs allowed however he gave up 8 hits in 6 innnings... 2nd game? 3 HR 8 hits and 8 runs over 6.2.

Sometimes a team just has a pitcher's number and I don't think the 3rd time through the order will help anything. However Arroyo looked great in his last start so who is to say he will not carry the momentum into tonights game???

predictions?

Puffy
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Berkman takes Arroyo deep tonight.

steig
08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
When does Berkman not take Reds pitching deep?

I'll predict 7 innings and 3 ER, let's hope Arroyo starts to step it up as we enter into september.

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Wasn't Arroyo cruising against the Astros until he had a complete Milton-like meltdown that last game?

As for Berkman, at least it's a good hitter killing us this time. I've had about all I can handle of Scott Spezio and Bill Hall.

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Oh right, and a prediction too. I'll go 8 innings and 2 earned with 7 Ks. Reds take game 1 in the Texas night, 5-3.

Red Rover
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
I've got my fingers crossed, but the Reds haven't won 3 games in a row since they swept the Rockies in a 4 game series right after the all star break.

thatcoolguy_22
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
i say narron leaves arroyo in the game in the 8th with the bases loaded and nobody out after 3 consectutive 4 pitch walks and then arroyo gives up the game winning bloop single to adam everett

RedFanAlways1966
08-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Sometimes a team just has a pitcher's number and I don't think the 3rd time through the order will help anything. However Arroyo looked great in his last start so who is to say he will not carry the momentum into tonights game???

Harang vs. Pirates in 2006
(1) Apr. 8..... 6.2IP, 8H, 5ER.
(2) May 16... 4.1IP, 6H, 3BB, 3ER.
1st 2 outings: 11IP, 14H, 8 ER, 6.55 ERA.
(3) Aug. 20... 7IP, 5H, 1ER.

Ya just never know (sometimes) in baseball! I hope we see an outing #3 for Arroyo vs. HOU like we did for Harang vs. PITT.

:thumbup:

redsmetz
08-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Wasn't Arroyo cruising against the Astros until he had a complete Milton-like meltdown that last game?

Reading the game account, I remember this inning, particularly the gaffe between Clayton and Phillips.

A six-run Astros fifth inning submerged Arroyo and soaked the Reds.

"I felt good. It was one of those innings that blows up on you," said Arroyo, who allowed a season-high eight runs, seven earned, and blew a 5-1 Cincinnati advantage. The outing increased his ERA from 2.92 to 3.20.

Coming into the big inning, Arroyo had retired 10 in a row -- including four straight strikeouts. The only run allowed to that point was Craig Biggio's homer to lead off the first inning.

Beginning the fifth against the bottom third of the Houston lineup, Arroyo gave up a leadoff double off the left-field wall to Brad Ausmus. No. 8 hitter Adam Everett was hit by the first pitch he saw.

"It was the first guy I hit all year, it just came back to bite me," said Arroyo, who gave up eight hits and a walk while striking out seven.

Pinch-hitting for Astros starter Andy Pettitte, speedy Willy Taveras hit a grounder behind second base. Shortstop Royce Clayton's flip to Brandon Phillips for the force went behind the second baseman. Everett slid into the bag safely, and Clayton was charged with an error that loaded the bases.

Reds manager Jerry Narron felt Phillips should have come up with the play.

"I think Brandon was trying to turn two on it," Narron said. "With the fast runner, he should have just been trying to get one."

Phillips said he wasn't thinking double play, and he avoided blaming Clayton.

"No chance. I just tried to catch it and get out of the way," Phillips said. "A lot of people might say I was the reason for that big inning. I'll say what a lot of people said, it's my fault the inning happened like that."

Arroyo could not control the damage. Biggio lined an RBI single before Chris Burke's single added two more runs. There were still no outs when Lance Berkman hit a 0-1 pitch for a three-run homer to right-center field that put Houston ahead by two runs.

"I got in a jam and made a mistake to Berkman," Arroyo said. "I threw a breaking ball over the plate instead of getting it in where I wanted to. He hurt me."

"What hurt us was the bottom of the order," Narron said. "We didn't lose the game on Berkman's home run. We lost the game when the bottom of the order got on base."

MaineRed
08-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Sometimes a team just has a pitcher's number and I don't think the 3rd time through the order will help anything.

Petitte vs the Reds this year:

4/29: 5 innings, 11 hits, 6 runs

6/03: 6 innings, 9 hits, 7 runs

7/26: 5 innings, 11 hits, 5 runs

TOBTTReds
08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
As for Berkman, at least it's a good hitter killing us this time. I've had about all I can handle of Scott Spezio and Bill Hall.

Not to change topics, but Bill Hall is a great hitter (9th in the league in slugging). How he does it against us everytime is a mystery.

I predict a couple homers from Lance tonight. He will be batting LH, which is all we need to know.

KittyDuran
08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Oh right, and a prediction too. I'll go 8 innings and 2 earned with 7 Ks. Reds take game 1 in the Texas night, 5-3.It's a home game...;) :)

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Bill Hall IS a good hitter; it's a home game not in Texas....forgive me boys and girls, I think I'm gonna try getting up on the other side of the bed tomorrow. Today my head decided not to join me when I awoke.:help:

Reds Freak
08-21-2006, 01:32 PM
If the Reds want to win this series, they need to win these first two games with Arroyo and Lohse pitching because Wednesday's matchup doesn't look too good for the home team.

CTA513
08-21-2006, 01:40 PM
If the Reds want to win this series, they need to win these first two games with Arroyo and Lohse pitching because Wednesday's matchup doesn't look too good for the home team.

Oswalt still has a bruised wrist/arm from getting hit with a line drive.
He missed his last start because of it and I would have to think that it will still be hurting.

thatcoolguy_22
no freaking kidding. Lohse has really taken hold to his new surroundings. I know this has already been discussed a zillion times on this forum but the kid has stuff that is pure filth. He's taking care of the control issue so far and I'm thanking 'ole WK himself for picking him up

Rotater Cuff
Who's up on Wednesday? Heard we'll miss both Oswalt and Clemens on this trip, and Backe is hurt.

KYRed
08-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Who's up on Wednesday? Heard we'll miss both Oswalt and Clemens on this trip, and Backe is hurt.

We miss Clemens, Oswalt is scheduled to go Wednesday against Michalak/TBA.

Matt700wlw
08-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Pettitte is 0-3 and an ERA over 9 this year against the Reds.

redsupport
08-21-2006, 03:53 PM
last time they gave away the game to pettite

VR
08-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Petitte's earnie is 2.15 since the last time the Red faced him.

Puffy
08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Berkman takes Arroyo deep tonight.

ahem.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 01:29 AM
I don't even know why they pitch to Berkman. I b**** about after every single pitch. It's just a flatout stupid thing to do.

thatcoolguy_22
08-22-2006, 05:57 AM
however I stand corrected. Arroyo pitched fairly well. Thank DanO for the acquisition of Aurillia though. Good game. 2 games up in the WC and 2 games back in the division in mid August? well done fellas

Unassisted
08-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Thank DanO for the acquisition of Aurillia though.He did it with Lindner's money. Do we have to thank Uncle Carl, too?

I'd rather thank Jerry Narron for pushing the right buttons and not think about who installed and paid for the buttons. ;)

smith288
08-22-2006, 09:17 AM
ahem.
Showoff