PDA

View Full Version : Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

Pages : 1 [2]

dabvu2498
08-23-2006, 10:21 AM
I think they did have a fire, but I don't think they had to totally rebuild.

Ahh, I just looked it up. They had a fire in an attached dining room in 1995 and rebuilt that room. The place looks the same as it ever did from the outside.
I was there with my dad in 86 and didn't go back until 96. Need to get back down there.

LawFive
08-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Blarney Stone
the Warehouse
Cooter's

chicoruiz
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
When I worked at Channel 12, we had Henry Winkler come through town on a promotional tour for "Happy Days". As I recall, our bigwigs were planning to take him to the Maisonette, but he said, "the h*** with that, I'm goin' to Walt's Hitching Post". Apparently he had done some theater a few years before that at Playhouse In The Park, and he used to go to Walt's a lot.

flyer85
08-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Cash Amburgey and his advertisments for the Bargain Barn

pedro
08-23-2006, 11:36 AM

follow the signs.... follow the cars.....

Dom Heffner
08-23-2006, 11:37 AM
What was the commercial that had something about "...at Paddock and Vine next to the big Indian sign..."

Roy Tucker
08-23-2006, 11:58 AM
follow the signs.... follow the cars.....

Spelled Kash and pronounced kay-eesh. And that was his real name. Amburgy's are still all over Warren County. My barber is an Amburgy.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/10/26/loc_ledeobit26.html

minus5
08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
What was the commercial that had something about "...at Paddock and Vine next to the big Indian sign..."

I belive that was Time Motors

Dom Heffner
08-23-2006, 12:16 PM
My half-sister's father is an Amburgy.

dabvu2498
08-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Roy and Dom... for fun sometime, so on the WC Clerk of Courts website and do a search for crminal files with "amburgy" as the keyword. Fun stuff!

SunDeck
08-23-2006, 12:42 PM

And his lov'ly wife....Marylou.
She looked great on the lawn tractor.

minus5
08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey about Doc Rusk? 341-fourty-fourty night or day

dsmith421
08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
IIRC, Lockland let them spend a bunch of money there to fix the place up and make it more Moeller than Lockland.

There's pretty much nothing to recommend that joint except for the big soccer field where you can tailgate. They don't even have bathrooms big enough to let you spike your Coke, for God's sake, which I thought was an inalienable right for alumni.

Clearly the lack of land in Montgomery puts them behind the eight ball, but as Hoosier noted earlier, there's got to be a better place. That facility is embarassing for a school at Moeller's level.

I'm a bit younger than most on here, but I'll throw out Chuck's Cadillac Billiards in Deer Park.

Dom Heffner
08-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Anyone remember the Q-102 all night barnyard with JC MCCoy and Steve Hawkins? That was pretty hilarious.

KittyDuran
08-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Horizon Record and Tapes. There was one in Fairfield and another IIRC in Oxford [another loss in Oxford... Looney T-Birds]. It was pretty much the only place I could get Duran Duran records in 1981 and 1982. They had a bin where you could get music showed on MTV.

Speaking of record stores... How about Peaches on Colerain? And didn't it go by a different name? I still remember the crate boxes to store albums.

gilpdawg
08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
I hit the Ohio Bookstore everytime I hit town... it's a don't miss for me.
The Ohio Bookstore? I've never heard of this. I'm not a Cincy guy, since I'm about 90 minutes away, but this sounds like a place I'd like to check out next time I'm in the area, and a google search brings nothing. Any help?

gilpdawg
08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
There was a record store on the Kentucky side called Record Alley that I'm pretty sure went out of business several years ago.

This thread is really, really, really instructive of the retail diversity that WalMart's killed. It's like the world has come full circle and we're all shopping at the tenant farmer's commissary known as WalMart.

(Though I don't have to, thank god, because I live in a city :thumbup: )
There was a really cool record store in Florence called Phil's. This was early to mid 90s, so I'm not going back too far. Of course, I was born in 78, so I can't go back too far. They had a lot of harder to find metal, and imports. And Looney T Birds, I loved that place! I bought an imported Metallica rare single there back in 97, on my way to see Metallica at the Coliseum, or whatever it was called then (The Crown?) and got said rare import single signed by Jason Newsted after the show, standing on Mehring Way by the busses. Wanted to stop in there a couple of years ago, only to find that it was gone.

westofyou
08-23-2006, 11:39 PM
The Ohio Bookstore? I've never heard of this. I'm not a Cincy guy, since I'm about 90 minutes away, but this sounds like a place I'd like to check out next time I'm in the area, and a google search brings nothing. Any help?
PM Sundeck, he'll be able to give you the correct address, it's downtown.

CySeymour
08-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Anyone know if Willis Shoe Bar is still in Hamilton?

dabvu2498
08-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Anyone know if Willis Shoe Bar is still in Hamilton?
Yup. Never been in, but see the sign a lot. Tom's Cigar shop went out though.

SunDeck
08-24-2006, 11:51 AM

I am thinking it may not be in business any longer, either. It was there while I was working downtown until '01. :(

SunDeck
08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Sandlot pickup baseball.
When I was a kid, I played baseball every day in the summer. There were always about a dozen of us who played at the Delshire Pool fields. Every once in a while we would ride our bikes up to Delhi park and play there with other kids.
Now, you drive by any fields in the summer and there are no kids playing.

I think that's really hurting baseball.

westofyou
08-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Nah.. it's still there I was there last Christmas, thumbing through stacks of the Ohio Historical Society Journals.

Ohio Book Store
726 Main St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Hours: M-Sat 9-4:45

Tel: (513) 621-5142

Five floors of used and vintage books.

Chip R
08-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I am thinking it may not be in business any longer, either. It was there while I was working downtown until '01. :(

It's still around. 726 Main St. downtown.

SunDeck
08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Nah.. it's still there I was there last Christmas, thumbing through stacks of the Ohio Historical Society Journals.

Ohio Book Store
726 Main St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Cool, thanks WOY.

flyer85
08-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Jack Moran and Slammin' Sammy Coleman

CySeymour
08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Yup. Never been in, but see the sign a lot. Tom's Cigar shop went out though.
Thanks man...those were some great memories as a kid. My grandma would take me there a couple times a year to buy shoes...it was awesome going up on the shoe bar to try them on.

SunDeck
08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Zip Rzeppa.

Joseph
08-24-2006, 12:22 PM

Ohio Book Store
726 Main St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202

My wife and I went for a walk downtown [dumb? maybe so] but we stumbled upon this place and just loved it. More books than you can shake a stick at and its not all the coffee house smell of B&N or the chain stores. Great place.

minus5
08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Jack Fogerty At Large
The Wild Mouse, The Lost River, Etc. at Coney Island
Ride tickets or the bracelet at Coney Island
Rubel's All Day Rye
Mama's Cookies
My Good Friends are Pat And Joe, Pat and Joe, Pat And Joe
Tombstone Territory At Lesourdesville Lake (complete with piano playing chickens)
Trains running down the middle of Saratoga Street in Newport
The Cabooze in Newport
Music on AM radio

CySeymour
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Paul Summerkamp doing the PA

wolfboy
08-24-2006, 01:30 PM
PM Sundeck, he'll be able to give you the correct address, it's downtown.

The Ohio Book Store is at 726 Main. If you are going up Main, it is between 7th and 8th on the right. They have display windows on either side of the entrance filled with books. I pass it every day on the way to the courthouse.

wolfboy
08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
There was a really cool record store in Florence called Phil's. This was early to mid 90s, so I'm not going back too far. Of course, I was born in 78, so I can't go back too far. They had a lot of harder to find metal, and imports. And Looney T Birds, I loved that place! I bought an imported Metallica rare single there back in 97, on my way to see Metallica at the Coliseum, or whatever it was called then (The Crown?) and got said rare import single signed by Jason Newsted after the show, standing on Mehring Way by the busses. Wanted to stop in there a couple of years ago, only to find that it was gone.

Phil's Records is still open, but the only location is in Latonia. They used to have locations in Anderson and Fairmount. Apparently they are moving in September to Erlanger. I was at the Latonia location over the summer. It's a big place, but I didn't have time to browse the selection. My girlfriend got me a copy of Pet Sounds on vinyl there.

minus5
08-24-2006, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=gilpdawg]There was a really cool record store in Florence called Phil's. This was early to mid 90s, so I'm not going back too far. Of course, I was born in 78, so I can't go back too far. They had a lot of harder to find metal, and imports.QUOTE]

Phil used to work at Record Alley.

redsmetz
08-24-2006, 03:09 PM

Here's a City Beat story about Ohio Bookstore (as I recall it used to be across the street from Acres of Books).

http://www.citybeat.com/2005-01-12/news2.shtml

redsmetz
08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Did anybody say Zino's? Clifton was a great one, but so was Hyde Park. Seems to me there was one in Kenwood for a while too. I miss the Zinover.

westofyou
08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Did anybody say Zino's? Clifton was a great one, but so was Hyde Park. Seems to me there was one in Kenwood for a while too. I miss the Zinover.

French Onion soup at Zinos.. I prefered Hyde Park.

Someone bought the name and menu in Kentucky, my SIL loves the Zinover and went to have one.... she said it wasn't the same.

SunDeck
08-24-2006, 03:52 PM

Oh yeah, Zino's was one hell of a fire. A friend of mine was on the first engine company that responded (From a block away) to it and he said it was the most intense working fire he'd been on up to that point.

And speaking of fires and things that are no more- the BASF plant?

Chip R
08-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Didn't the original Montgomery Inn recently burn down?

wolfboy
08-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Didn't the original Montgomery Inn recently burn down?

That was the one on Beechmont Rd. near 275.

SunDeck
08-24-2006, 05:06 PM
What was the name of the restaurant in the parking lot of Kenwood Mall that burned down?

Is Marx Bagels still in business? I know they ran into trouble because the owner was basically a moron, but someone told me they still had one store.
I used to go to the one in Roselawn all the time...and Bilkers, which is still around, only moved to Blue Ash. If Marx is in business, my guess is they did the same.

westofyou
08-24-2006, 05:08 PM
What was the name of the restaurant in the parking lot of Kenwood Mall that burned down?

Prime and Wine?

Ltlabner
08-24-2006, 05:09 PM
I haven't read the entire thread....has Schuelers Wig-Wam been mentioned?

Or King Quick?

TeamBoone
08-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Never shopped in one.

But when you go to NYC or NY state you go there? :confused: I'm not sure I understand?

The town in upstate NY where my mom and sister live is small, only about 15,000 people.... unless you want to go high end with privately owned stores that sell clothing, office supplies, hardware, etc.... Wal-Mart is the only game in town.

redsmetz
08-24-2006, 06:38 PM

Or King Quick?

Yes, someone even admitted that he didn't know the Kwik Brothers were one guy until he was a teenager.

KittyDuran
08-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Is Marx Bagels still in business? I know they ran into trouble because the owner was basically a moron, but someone told me they still had one store.
I used to go to the one in Roselawn all the time...and Bilkers, which is still around, only moved to Blue Ash. If Marx is in business, my guess is they did the same.There was one on North Bend IIRC (is that Roselawn?) - don't know if its there now since I hardly ever get over there.

Dom Heffner
08-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Fox and O'Brien on the Q Morning Zoo.

Didn't Fox get into some trouble with a...um...young lady?

GoGoWhiteSox
08-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Krista on the Star 64 Kids Club (yeah I'm young compared to you guys) :)
"The Jazz Ark" WNOP 740 AM
The old Leaps and Bounds on Beechmont Avenue
Several people mentioned the old Americana Amusement Park...I'm sorry but Kings Island is MUCH, MUCH better. I wasn't really sad when I heard that the place closed.

gilpdawg
08-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Krista on the Star 64 Kids Club (yeah I'm young compared to you guys) :)

Yeah I thought she was hot when I was 12.:D

RosieRed
08-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned ...

The Echo in Hyde Park is still open. Love that place.

And to whoever mentioned The Warehouse ... I know it only recently closed (compared to some other places discussed here), but I miss that place.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 06:11 AM

Who remembers the various definitions of WNOP?

We Never Order Pepperoni was one of them and now I'm blanking on the others.

Several people mentioned the old Americana Amusement Park...I'm sorry but Kings Island is MUCH, MUCH better. I wasn't really sad when I heard that the place closed.

When my kids were little, Americana was perfect. It was affordable, there were not long lines and their Eagle roller coaster and their Water ride were just big enough that they satisfied our kids when they got into their pre-teens. I hated to see it go because families could afford the place. It was an annual trip for us.

Rychian
08-25-2006, 08:46 AM
I grew up in Clermont County, but for special occasions (mainly birthdays) we would go to that place over by Tri county mall. It had the Giant organ. Geesh I cant remember the name of it. The pizza was fairly lousy, but there was just something about that Organ.

minus5
08-25-2006, 09:10 AM

We're talking apples and oranges here. Lesourdesville wasn't really competing with King's Island. You also are probably only young enough to remember the last incarnation of that park when it limped along for a season or two more (and it was lame, complete with carnival type rides). There was a time when it was a fairly nice park. Lots of picnic grounds, there used to be cool water shows, concerts and a penny arcade that even in the late 60s early 70s seemed like it was from another time. For a lot of us older ones on here that place is pretty nostalgic. If it were open today (and in good and clean working order) I'd proably take my family there over King's Island.

SunDeck
08-25-2006, 12:23 PM

Or King Quick?

That's King Kwik...or something like that. :)

And the Wig Wam! Nice one. My grandfather went there once a week for liver and onions.

SunDeck
08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Oscar Treadwell. (http://www.oscartreadwell.com/)

GoGoWhiteSox
08-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Oscar Treadwell. (http://www.oscartreadwell.com/)
If my memory serves me right, he still does a show here called "Jazz with O.T." on Sunday nights from 9 to 11 on WVXU 91.7

TeamBoone
08-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Americana was under new management about 5 yrs ago but still was not able to overcome whatever ailed it. I've never been there but had always planned on it.

I truly miss A Day in Eden (Eden Park). It was something we always looked forward to, and I wish they would revive it.

Question: Has anyone been to the Firemen's Museum downtown? If yes, is it something Little Team Griffey would enjoy (into firemen hugely), or is it too adult for an almost-six year old?

wolfboy
08-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Americana was under new management about 5 yrs ago but still was not able to overcome whatever ailed it. I've never been there but had always planned on it.

I truly miss A Day in Eden (Eden Park). It was something we always looked forward to, and I wish they would revive it.

Question: Has anyone been to the Firemen's Museum downtown? If yes, is it something Little Team Griffey would enjoy (into firemen hugely), or is it too adult for an almost-six year old?

I went to the Firemen's Museum when I was around that age, or a little older. I don't remember a whole lot about it, but I did have a good time.

OldRightHander
08-25-2006, 02:03 PM

I won some tickets from them once and had to go there to pick them up. That was quite the experience. It was pretty much like going into a large tin can that floated. There were two floors in there with a spiral staircase up the middle. The DJ would go up and down the stairs retreiving records, tapes, and what not. I had to wait a few minutes for the woman DJ who was there at the time to find where she had put the tickets. It's pretty sad how the variety on over the air radio has declined over the years. I kind of miss that station and ones like it.

Chip R
08-25-2006, 02:13 PM

I went to it about 7 years ago. I thought I suggested that place for you guys to take him to. I think he'd like it.

Roy Tucker
08-25-2006, 03:30 PM

I used to work downtown close to it and wandered in one day at lunch. It's a pretty neat place. It's not huge, but I was able to occupy myself in it for an hour or so and found it interesting. Cincinnati is an old city (relatively speaking for US city that is) and if you dig a little bit, it's a fascinating place.

If he likes firemen, I think he'd enjoy it.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 05:50 PM
I won some tickets from them once and had to go there to pick them up. That was quite the experience. It was pretty much like going into a large tin can that floated. There were two floors in there with a spiral staircase up the middle. The DJ would go up and down the stairs retreiving records, tapes, and what not. I had to wait a few minutes for the woman DJ who was there at the time to find where she had put the tickets. It's pretty sad how the variety on over the air radio has declined over the years. I kind of miss that station and ones like it.

Same for me. I think it was tickets to go see Woody Herman at Bogarts. He walked around during the break and look at folks and ask, "How ya doin', man?".

mash3024
08-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but wasn't there a restaurant in covington where willie's currently is that was called the Glass Menagerie that I thought I remebered my parents talking about.

Was the Captain Kangaroo show from around here or was that syndicated.

May not be known by most but Lookout Bowl in Park Hills was a place my friends and I grew up in and as of yesterday it was torn it down.

SunDeck
08-25-2006, 10:02 PM
If my memory serves me right, he still does a show here called "Jazz with O.T." on Sunday nights from 9 to 11 on WVXU 91.7
Unfortunately, OT died this year.
I think he had stopped doing the show, so if it was on they were archives.

Dom Heffner
08-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Walt's Center Lanes in Newport.

mash3024
08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Walt's Center Lanes in Newport.
I think that place might still be there...I think my buddies just got into a bowling league there

OldRightHander
08-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but wasn't there a restaurant in covington where willie's currently is that was called the Glass Menagerie that I thought I remebered my parents talking about.

Yeah, I ate there a couple times. Pretty good place from what I remember.

remdog
08-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but wasn't there a restaurant in covington where willie's currently is that was called the Glass Menagerie that I thought I remebered my parents talking about

I don't know where Willie's is but there was a popular restaurant/disco off of the first exit ramp of I-75 in Covington by a similar name in the '70's. It was owned by a guy named Larry Grouse. The place was wall-to-wall on weekends for several years.

Rem

redsmetz
08-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Was the Captain Kangaroo show from around here or was that syndicated.

His was a network show. The only local kids shows from that era were Skipper Ryle on Channel 12 and the Uncle Al Show on Channel 9. Channel 5 ran a show briefly called Mr. Hop, a guy in a rabbit suit. Channel 19 carried the Larry Smith puppets, although I think they were originally a feature on the Uncle Al show. And, of course, they had the Cool Ghoul. Channel 19 didn't come on the air until the very late 60's as UHF channels were primarily Educational Television up to then (pioneered by WCET, the 1st non-commerical station in the country).

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 10:20 AM
WUBE--your kind of country.

minus5
08-26-2006, 10:28 AM
WCLU - Big Clu Country- Originating out of Covington.

GoGoWhiteSox
08-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, OT died this year.
I think he had stopped doing the show, so if it was on they were archives.
Wow, I did not know that! I remember he cancelled an appearance he was supposed to have at the Public Library Downtown, but I didn't know he died shortly afterwards. :(

CrackerJack
08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Farrell's Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor in Tri-County - everyone had their birthday dinner there before the age of 9 or 10 back in the 70's. Forgot when it was torn down officially.

You'd put up with the song and dance schtick for that freakin' monstorous sundae you got that no one else did, every time. And you'd invite all your friends too so they could sit in envy of you and your giant sundae.

It was a red/white colored, early 19th century themed vaudeville type of atmosphere. I believe it sat where Skyline Chili does now, across from the TC Mall on Kemper Rd.

redsmetz
08-26-2006, 10:11 PM
WUBE--your kind of country.

I remember when WUBE was Top 40 just like WSAI. While WSAI had "The Good Guys" as their DJ's, somehow I liked the music they played on WUBE better, although I don't recall why now.

Sometime in the late '60's, WSAI started running ads infer a change was on the way. When the time came, they started playing a country song and we totally freaked out because we hated country music. I can't remember what the "change" was now.

That's where we got our pop music back then; this is before WEBN rose to prominence.

SunDeck
08-26-2006, 10:33 PM
The early days of WEBN are no more. I was about eight years old I think and the "hippie kids" who lived next door to us listened to it. It was back when Frank Wood Sr. used to still have his classical show on Sunday mornings. That was back in the day when they were doing album oriented music, playing songs that you weren't going to hear otherwise.

It was mind blowing to me.

At some point along the way WEBN changed and ceased to exist as far as I was concerned.

redsmetz
08-26-2006, 10:50 PM
The early days of WEBN are no more. I was about eight years old I think and the "hippie kids" who lived next door to us listened to it. It was back when Frank Wood Sr. used to still have his classical show on Sunday mornings. That was back in the day when they were doing album oriented music, playing songs that you weren't going to hear otherwise.

It was mind blowing to me.

At some point along the way WEBN changed and ceased to exist as far as I was concerned.

By rising to prominence, I wasn't implying they're still there. I rarely listen as I think they're a shadow their former selves. But there was something really exciting about the album oriented rock they played. Just thinking about it runs me back nearly 35 years and I can feel what it was like listening to the station.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-26-2006, 11:22 PM
truckin bozo?

SunDeck
08-27-2006, 11:33 AM
By rising to prominence, I wasn't implying they're still there. I rarely listen as I think they're a shadow their former selves. But there was something really exciting about the album oriented rock they played. Just thinking about it runs me back nearly 35 years and I can feel what it was like listening to the station.

Agreed, I was just adding my $.02.

westofyou
08-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Agreed, I was just adding my $.02.
Jay Gilbert and Robin Wood, and late night with Ty Williams.

Doc. Scott
08-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I loved how the keebler plant made the whole area smell like cookies.

That still happens (as of 2003-2004 when I lived in Mariemont). But only when I would be driving home from work and never in the morning.

Doc. Scott
08-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Prime and Wine?

Yeah. It just went out of business and auctioned off all its stuff within the past couple of years.

westofyou
08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
That still happens (as of 2003-2004 when I lived in Mariemont). But only when I would be driving home from work and never in the morning.
Back in the day, you could jump into the trainyard and take off with some of those there cookies... in big boxes, full of more boxes.

Doc. Scott
08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
This thread is also making me feel unfortunate because I spent the entirety of my formative years 20 miles away from Cincinnati in West Chester, where everyone was afraid of the city unless you had sports tickets or something. I wasn't even allowed to go to Bogart's until I was out of high school.

That all seems pretty funny now, the way my parents feared the scary big city. Now I live smack in the middle of downtown Portland and don't even think twice about my wallet. Usually.

Allegro
08-27-2006, 12:41 PM

Allegro
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Is Johnny's Toys still around??? My grandma used to take me there on my birthday as you would get a free "goody" courtesy of Johnny.

I took my 7 year old son to Johnny's yesterday with his birthday key. BIG thrill. He picked out a plastic bat and ball. Funny.

Dom Heffner
08-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Someone mentioned the Jerry Lewis commercial for Steinberg's and now I have it in my head.

It wasn't anything fancy, just one of those, "Let me tell you about the folks at Steinberg's."

Never got the connection between those two or how that came about but I always thought it was weird.

SunDeck
08-27-2006, 09:37 PM
That beautiful brewery smell, a little like baking bread. I used to drive by Hudepohl early in the morning on my way to work...and I'd open the windows of my truck just to take it in.

But I had to wait until I got past the mill creek sewage treatment plant, of course. phew!

OldRightHander
08-27-2006, 09:43 PM
truckin bozo?

Dale Sommers (Bozo) is going strong on XM station 171 now in the afternoons, but I don't tune in his show too often. Steve Sommers (son or brother, not sure which) has his old time slot on 700 in the evenings, I think it's called the American Trucker's Network now.

Dom Heffner
08-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Steve Sommers (son or brother, not sure which) has his old time slot on 700 in the evenings, I think it's called the American Trucker's Network now.

I met Steve when I interned for WLW way back in the day.

He was super nice to me.

Ltlabner
08-28-2006, 07:55 AM
This thread is also making me feel unfortunate because I spent the entirety of my formative years 20 miles away from Cincinnati in West Chester, where everyone was afraid of the city unless you had sports tickets or something. I wasn't even allowed to go to Bogart's until I was out of high school.

I also grew up in West Chester after our family moved there in 1976. I had much the same experience. In fact, I've learned twice as much about Cincinnati in the past 12 years since I graduated from university than I ever did from ages 4 to 22. To be fair, I went to university in Dayton so you can subtract those 4 years, I suppose.

But the point is, after having lived "in Cincinnnati" my whole life there are many places or streets that I have no idea existed simply becase we were never allowed to go "downtown" (which meant the entire City) when I was growing up. Although I knew how to get to Riverfront, the rest of the city was a big mystery.

Irronically I am in industrial sales now which often requires me to go into the most industrial and seedy parts of Cincy (and many other cities). My mother would be so worried if she only knew! hahahahaha

dabvu2498
08-28-2006, 08:24 AM
I grew up in Clermont County, but for special occasions (mainly birthdays) we would go to that place over by Tri county mall. It had the Giant organ. Geesh I cant remember the name of it. The pizza was fairly lousy, but there was just something about that Organ.
I think it was called Music Palace.

Chip R
08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
The original Skyline in Price Hill.

SunDeck
08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
But the point is, after having lived "in Cincinnnati" my whole life there are many places or streets that I have no idea existed simply becase we were never allowed to go "downtown" (which meant the entire City) when I was growing up. Although I knew how to get to Riverfront, the rest of the city was a big mystery.

Then here is a tip:

Big Strong Men Will Very Rarely Eat Pork Chops
Broadway, Sycamore, Main, Walnut, Vine, Race, Elm, Plum, Central.

The original Skyline in Price Hill.
Indeed! When I was a kid going there was like returning to the mother ship.

Boudinot La Rosa's was the same way, back before the new building was erected. Buddy would always stop by and talk to my dad.

Steve4192
09-06-2006, 09:04 AM
The early days of WEBN are no more.

You can still get a taste of the good old days if you tune in on Sunday nights at 6pm for the 'Jelly Pudding Show' host by the real Mary Peale.

minus5
09-06-2006, 10:04 AM
OH! Who remembers the old Sun Furniture commercials that they used to do like the Perils of Pauline? With the villan and the damsil in distress...I almost forgot about those.

SunDeck
09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
You can still get a taste of the good old days if you tune in on Sunday nights at 6pm for the 'Jelly Pudding Show' host by the real Mary Peale.
Yep, my wife and I love that show. We catch it once in a while if we happen to be driving back from Cincinnati on a Sunday night. We can keep it on the radio until about Greensburg, then the signal fades.

Is that station streaming?

Matt700wlw
09-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Steinbergs?

Matt700wlw
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
The Cool Ghoul

dabvu2498
09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Yep, my wife and I love that show. We catch it once in a while if we happen to be driving back from Cincinnati on a Sunday night. We can keep it on the radio until about Greensburg, then the signal fades.

Is that station streaming?

Yes... www.webn.com

Matt700wlw
09-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Yes... www.webn.com

Actually it's on the Fox.

www.foxcincinnati.com

Chip R
09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
The Graeters downtown closed last year. Of course you can say that for a lot of downtown stuff.

westofyou
09-06-2006, 01:57 PM
The Graeters downtown closed last year. Of course you can say that for a lot of downtown stuff.

Cincinnati Downtown the gift that keeps on leaving.

Steve4192
09-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Yep, my wife and I love that show. We catch it once in a while if we happen to be driving back from Cincinnati on a Sunday night.

I plan my Sunday evenings around it, usually scheduling quality time with my XBOX while I listen to Mary and her non-indian companion for a couple of hours.

Roy Tucker
09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Cincinnati Downtown the gift that keeps on leaving.

Don't worry, The Banks will bring downtown Cincinnati alive again.

minus5
09-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Don't worry, The Banks will bring downtown Cincinnati alive again.

Newport's Ovation project will proabably be finished by the time Cincy gets around to breaking ground. Their inability to move ahead amazes me.

I have no idea why this just posted twice, by the way.

Roy Tucker
09-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Newport's Ovation project will proabably be finished by the time Cincy gets around to breaking ground. Their inability to move ahead amazes me.

Yep, that was the exact thought I had when I saw the Newport project in the paper. The company that is doing the Newport project was the one that pulled out of the Banks because of the endless political dithering.

I did think having the circus down in the ditch that is The Banks was an apt metaphor.

Words cannot express how much I think the city/county screwed the pooch with the Wedge vs. Broadway Commons issue.

dabvu2498
09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Words cannot express how much I think the city/county screwed the pooch with the Wedge vs. Broadway Commons issue.

Ditto.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Love the King Kwick, miss Rob Ryder and Ruth Lyons... Al Schottlekotti too.

I loved Al Schottlekotti... I just loved saying the name when I was a kid...

zombielady
09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
I think it was called Music Palace.

Music Palace... my grandparents used to take us there. My grandma loved the place!

Dom Heffner
01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Anyone ever play Photon when it was around? Laser tag at its earliest. Used to be there every weekend in the mid-80s.

Also- I mentioned this before, but I would kill for a Mt. Washington Bakery butter crumb cake right now.

TC81190
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
WOXY, once a landmark of Cincinnati, moved to Austin a couple months ago.

Pretty heartbreaking to me.

Dom Heffner
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Once upon a time when I had a radio show at Earlham College, I listened to WOXY all the way up U.S. 27 until I got to the station.

Some of the best nights of my life were spent driving on that road and listening to that frequency.

redsfanfalcon
01-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Music Palace... my grandparents used to take us there. My grandma loved the place!

Where was that located? I went there once as a kid...if I remember right, didn't they have an organ that went into the ground and came back up and also spun around...I think it also had bubbles coming out. Of course I thought it was awesome as a kid.

Highlifeman21
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Where was that located? I went there once as a kid...if I remember right, didn't they have an organ that went into the ground and came back up and also spun around...I think it also had bubbles coming out. Of course I thought it was awesome as a kid.

I remember 1 location on Rt 4 just off 275, and then a different location in Sharonville by that racquetclub

reds1869
01-06-2010, 07:01 AM
I remember 1 location on Rt 4 just off 275, and then a different location in Sharonville by that racquetclub

I live right up the hill from the old place. It is currently vacant but used to house Whiskey Willie's. Hooters is on the front of the building now.

Highlifeman21
01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I live right up the hill from the old place. It is currently vacant but used to house Whiskey Willie's. Hooters is on the front of the building now.

Ah yes, it did used to be a Hooters after its Music Palace days

SunDeck
01-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Once upon a time when I had a radio show at Earlham College, I listened to WOXY all the way up U.S. 27 until I got to the station.

Some of the best nights of my life were spent driving on that road and listening to that frequency.

One cool thing about growing up on the west side was that we could pick up WOXY. My musical sensibilities were changed forever.

Deepred05
01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Is Frischs Farm still around? Bob Shreve and Hatti the Witch were must see TV for my generation...

Newport Red
01-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Rookwood Pottery

Dom Heffner
01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Rookwood Pottery

Gone? One of my favorite places to eat.

Falls City Beer
01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
All these local places closing. I haven't been to Cincy in a while, but I'm getting the impression that the city has turned into nothing but Macaroni Grill and O'Charley's.

Dom Heffner
01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
All these local places closing. I haven't been to Cincy in a while, but I'm getting the impression that the city has turned into nothing but Macaroni Grill and O'Charley's.

If O'Charley's ever left, the folks out at Eastgate would have nothing to do.

westofyou
01-06-2010, 03:18 PM

You're exactly right.

Food in Cincinnati all seems to be corporate, example... That show on the Food Network (Diners and Drive ins) has been to every city in America, except for Cincinnati (from what I've seen)

Why?

Because the place doesn't seem to have any non corporate places that folks flock to that isn't ethnic or corporate.

SunDeck
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
There are still a few places left:

City View Tavern
Maury's Tiny Cove
Skyline and a zillion other chili parlors and restaurants operated by Greek families.
Graeters
Aglamesis
Zips
Mount Lookout Tavern
Brew Haus
Ron's Roost
Strickers Grove
Crow's Nest
Krohn Conservatory and all the great parks
CG&E Trains (although it's Duke now)
Cincinnati Symphony, Ballet, Opera, Art Museum, Playhouse in the Park
The ZOO
Highland Coffeehouse and Mecklenbergs
Arnolds Bar and Grill
Etc.

Hoosier Red
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM

It's come back as a trendy restaurant. It wasn't bad the night I went there but nothing like the old days.

Newport Red
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM

It's still there. Joe Longo bought it and turned it into Porkopolis, Now it's back to Rookwood.

I was thinking the actual pottery.

Newport Red
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Hey, the incline steps to Mt. Adams are back.

SunDeck
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey, the incline steps to Mt. Adams are back.

When we lived at the end of Ohio Ave, my wide used to walk down the steps to E. Clifton Ave to get to work downtown. There are almost 400 stairways maintained by the city. (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/transeng/pages/-7085-/)

Yachtzee
01-06-2010, 11:52 PM
One cool thing about growing up on the west side was that we could pick up WOXY. My musical sensibilities were changed forever.

I used to listen to WOXY every time I went down to SE Ohio. When my brother was at Miami, he gave me their cookbook one year for Christmas. It had some of the strangest recipes you'll ever find. One that always sticks out in my mind is the Baconana. It's basically a baked banana wrapped in bacon.

gilpdawg
01-07-2010, 12:09 AM

Hey, you did your radio show up in my neck of the woods.

gilpdawg
01-07-2010, 12:14 AM

I didn't know they had one of those down that way. As a kid, I lived closer to Indy than Cinci, and there was one of those places @ 465 and E. Washington. The pizza was foul though. Like Chuck E. Cheese bad. It became a Chi-Chi's sometime in the 90s and I'm not sure if that's still there either.

cincinnati chili
01-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Virginia Bakery (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/07/06/loc_pastry_lovers_lose.html), next to Skyline on Ludlow

Forest View Gardens (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/05/31/tem_forest_view_gardens.html)

*BaseClogger*
01-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Pork?

texasdave
01-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Winning baseball???

SunDeck
01-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Pork?

Been to Findlay Market, or a church festival, or any of the butcher shops in town lately? I see no decline in pork, much to the dissatisfaction of many swine out there.
Having said that, and as a former Summer driver for Edelmann's, I don't believe the meat packing business is what it used to be, even though there is a lot of great product to be had from small outlets.

Dom Heffner
01-07-2010, 07:42 AM

Loved everything about that area. With the exception of now, I've never been happier.

reds1869
01-07-2010, 08:03 AM
You're exactly right.

Food in Cincinnati all seems to be corporate, example... That show on the Food Network (Diners and Drive ins) has been to every city in America, except for Cincinnati (from what I've seen)

Why?

Because the place doesn't seem to have any non corporate places that folks flock to that isn't ethnic or corporate.

I would tend to disagree. I travel around the country a lot and Cincinnati has as many decent local establishments as any city of similar size. It does also have a zillion chain restaurants, though. In summary, people here just eat a TON of food.

westofyou
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
I would tend to disagree. I travel around the country a lot and Cincinnati has as many decent local establishments as any city of similar size. It does also have a zillion chain restaurants, though. In summary, people here just eat a TON of food.

The chains must wash out the local places, now I know there are more local places in the older parts of the city and the outlying areas. My in-laws used to live in Terrace Park and now live in Westchester, so I see less of them than I used to.

Maybe there are just too many chains in Cincinnati.

I also consider Skyline a chain now, where 25 years ago I probably would not have.

Newport Red
01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
The F&N Steakhouse on Ky 8 just outside of Dayton is history.

OldRightHander
01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
The F&N Steakhouse on Ky 8 just outside of Dayton is history.

I miss that place.

Roy Tucker
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
The chains must wash out the local places, now I know there are more local places in the older parts of the city and the outlying areas. My in-laws used to live in Terrace Park and now live in Westchester, so I see less of them than I used to.

Maybe there are just too many chains in Cincinnati.

I also consider Skyline a chain now, where 25 years ago I probably would not have.

I think the newer the area, the fewer the local grub places and the more franchise chain places.

Where I live in Mason/Deerfield Twp., I think we have one of every franchise places known to mankind. You name, we have it. West Chester is probably the same way.

But in my business travels, its been that way everywhere I go. Often times, I walk out of my hotel and, being surrounded by franchise places, I wouldn't know if it was Denver, Charlotte, Boston, or SF. Applebees and McDonalds abound.

reds1869
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I think the newer the area, the fewer the local grub places and the more franchise chain places.

Where I live in Mason/Deerfield Twp., I think we have one of every franchise places known to mankind. You name, we have it. West Chester is probably the same way.

But in my business travels, its been that way everywhere I go. Often times, I walk out of my hotel and, being surrounded by franchise places, I wouldn't know if it was Denver, Charlotte, Boston, or SF. Applebees and McDonalds abound.

Exactly my point. I work in the city proper most of the time and see the local flavor more. Where I live in Springdale it is chain city--West Chester and Mason are even worse. Still, there are a lot of gems to be found if you know where to look.

SunDeck
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
In Bloomington there are 82 restaurants in the downtown area and I'll bet less than five of them are chains. Yet, there are still all the same chains out at the strip mall west of town and near the mall on the east side, with their parking lots frequently full. The reason those places are packed is because a lot of people seem to like what they offer, which is mainly huge portions of fried food, fat and carbohydrates, all saltier than the sea.

Spazzrico
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Yeah, there was a lot of back and forth over on the WOXY boards when this was announced. Cincy people were sad (including expats like me), but most were hopeful the Austin move would improve the broadcast. Jury is out.

BoydsOfSummer
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM

I was living in Richmond about that time as well. From 1986-1997. I probably hard your show a time or two. I really dug the bluegrass show in the mornings morn than anything though.

Dom Heffner
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I was living in Richmond about that time as well. From 1986-1997. I probably hard your show a time or two. I really dug the bluegrass show in the mornings morn than anything though.

I was there from 1993 through 1995, so I'm sure you did. I was on Saturday nights from 9:00-3:00 AM...then the long drive back to Cincy.

The guy who does the Biscuits and Gravy classic rock show to this day was a wonderful friend of mine.

OSUredsFAN
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Winning baseball???

agreed, unfortunately

gilpdawg
01-08-2010, 02:34 AM
I was there from 1993 through 1995, so I'm sure you did. I was on Saturday nights from 9:00-3:00 AM...then the long drive back to Cincy.

The guy who does the Biscuits and Gravy classic rock show to this day was a wonderful friend of mine.

Buddy of mine used to do a punk show on there too. Most people in Richmond who are into music know him. His name is Willie. Great guy. I was going to actually go down there and start doing a metal show when the guy who was doing it quit, but just couldn't work it out with my scheduling.

LoganBuck
01-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Burbanks BBQ was a staple of any trip to Cincinnati for me.

Dom Heffner
01-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Loved that sweet cornbread.

Newport Red
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Speaking of closed celebrity restaurants, how about Johnny Bench's Home Plate at Northgate Mall.

westofyou
01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Speaking of closed celebrity restaurants, how about Johnny Bench's Home Plate at Northgate Mall.

http://headlinerdiners.com/images/Johnny%20Bench's%20Homeplate%20Restaurant.jpg

Closed Jock restauraunts

http://headlinerdiners.com/images/Pete%20Rose%20Restaurant%20Western%20Hills.JPG

http://headlinerdiners.com/notablesnowclosed.aspx

forfreelin04
01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Loved that sweet cornbread.

And the BBQ pork stuffed potato skins!:thumbup:

reds1869
01-14-2010, 09:37 PM
And the BBQ pork stuffed potato skins!:thumbup:

And the Derby Pie, and the gumbo...so many things I loved there.

LoganBuck
01-14-2010, 10:31 PM
And the Derby Pie, and the gumbo...so many things I loved there.

The gumbo and coleslaw were good.

I loved to have a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw, and 911 sauce.

dabvu2498
01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Cheesegrits. Mmmmmmmmmm.

gilpdawg
01-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Wait, Burbank's closed? I just ate at the one in Sharonville a couple of years ago.

wolfboy
01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
You're exactly right.

Why?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2010/01/18/where-should-diners-drive-ins-and-dives-visit-here/

Dom Heffner
02-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Also- I mentioned this before, but I would kill for a Mt. Washington Bakery butter crumb cake right now.

My mother just told me they are coming back and are willing to ship their coffee cake to me in Tampa.

I'm a pretty happy guy right now. :)

OldRightHander
02-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Has anyone else mentioned...

http://www.stingershistory.com/Photos/StingersLogo.jpg

Dom Heffner
02-04-2010, 06:27 AM

Rick Dudley. That is all.

westofyou
02-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Rick Dudley. That is all.

Dennis Sobchuk Mike Leiut too.

I had season tickets

texasdave
02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
From my younger days. Mount Healthy Drive-In.

Falls City Beer
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM

Yeah. Loved that place.

SunDeck
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/44/CincinnatiSwords.png/120px-CincinnatiSwords.png

Dom Heffner
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Art Schlichter as the QB for the Rockers.

SunDeck
02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Bakeries are generally disappearing from Cincinnati, but happily there are still many to be had. In particular, I mourned the closure of Virginia Bakery, but it's nice that Busken bought their Schnecken recipe. The saddest thing is that this represents to me a loss of the town I grew up in, where old German ladies made pounds of confections, while their husbands ran corner butcher shops. In many ways, it's still got a lot of German heritage, but it's not nearly what it was, even as recently as during my young adult years. Here's an example I remember fondly:

I worked at Edelmann Provision Co. during summers, driving delivery trucks full of brats, wieners and metts to festivals throughout greater Cincinnati. Some of you may remember the big, green Edelmann's trucks parked near the food tents. Each morning before going out we had breakfast made for us by this wonderful German lady who would pile our plates with eggs, bacon, brats, whatever she decided to pilfer from the cooler that morning, all the while admonishing us in her thick accent to "Take all you vant, but EAT VAT YOU TAKE!" Then, after making morning deliveries, we were greeted by a lunch of Edelmann's cold cuts. While eating breakfast and lunch, the English of the young summer help mingled with the German, Schwabisch and Romanisch of the old meat cutters. It was truly a unique experience for me.

westofyou
02-04-2010, 12:08 PM

I was an Oakley Drive In guy myself

SunDeck
02-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I was an Oakley Drive In guy myself

Dent and Ferguson here.

Deepred05
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Dent and Ferguson here.

Jolly Roger:beerme:

OldRightHander
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Lake Drive In between Georgetown and Mt. Orab. Went there plenty in the 70s.

Dom Heffner
02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Lake Drive In between Georgetown and Mt. Orab. Went there plenty in the 70s.

How about the old Log Cabin restaurant on old 32 in Mt Orab? Great food, lots of decanters, and a bowling alley.

Dom Heffner
06-18-2014, 12:48 PM

http://www.cincyshirts.com/index.php/cincyshirts/cincyshirts/van-leunens-logo-shirt.html

This is great, and the commercial rocks.

06-18-2014, 05:34 PM
The Barn Rib Pit downtown

improbus
06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Me.

Dom Heffner
06-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Incahoot's

KronoRed
06-18-2014, 10:34 PM

http://www.cincyshirts.com/index.php/cincyshirts/cincyshirts/van-leunens-logo-shirt.html

This is great, and the commercial rocks.

Greatest website ever.

RedsfaninMT
06-18-2014, 11:09 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, but Johnny Bench's restaurant on Colerain was "Johnny Bench's Home Plate." And I haven't see a mention of Coney Island, but that was where I went before I ever ventured to King's Island.

dabvu2498
06-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, but Johnny Bench's restaurant on Colerain was "Johnny Bench's Home Plate." And I haven't see a mention of Coney Island, but that was where I went before I ever ventured to King's Island.

Coney Island is still there.

westofyou
06-19-2014, 05:05 PM

CoachBombay
06-19-2014, 05:09 PM
My 3rd grade girlfriend

vaticanplum
06-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Just skimmed through this whole thing. This thread is so great. And actually it's very encouraging to see the drastic shift that's occurred in Cincinnati even since 2006, especially where dining is concerned. Of course the fact that 2006 was eight years ago is kind of terrifying.

Dom Heffner
06-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Just skimmed through this whole thing. This thread is so great. And actually it's very encouraging to see the drastic shift that's occurred in Cincinnati even since 2006, especially where dining is concerned. Of course the fact that 2006 was eight years ago is kind of terrifying.

You say that, but are we really better off without Mabley and Carew?

SunDeck
06-19-2014, 08:22 PM

8th and State, my great grandfathers bar on the right.

Falls City Beer
06-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Is the Anchor Grill still around in Covington?

RedlegJake
06-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Me.

I was going to say that but you beat me to it.

wolfboy
06-23-2014, 03:13 PM

Yes.

krm1580
06-23-2014, 03:17 PM
I was not a member of Redszone when this thread started but reading back through it, it really awesome and brought back a lot of memories from growing up in Mt. Washington. A couple things came to mind that I did not see mentioned

Old Lunken Airport playfield - A lot of the "rides" there were old military hardware. There was a Patton tank, either a F86 or F100 Super Sabre jet and a bunch of other things you could climb on or in. It was always a huge treat on the rare occasion we would get to go there. I would always get in a fight with my older brother trying to get in the cockpit of the fighter plane. Its funny looking back now because I could not imagine in a million years a playground with that stuff now with all the falling hazards.

The other place I have fond memories of was a restaurant/bar called "The Locker Room". It was a sports themed place where the waitresses would wear Reds jerseys. The big draw as a kid was they had this big pre-video game, baseball video game thing you could play. It was like a big scoreboard looking thing, you would go up and put your quarters in and bring this big metal box back to your table. The ball would get pitched and you would hit this button on the box and it would tell you what type of hit you got. My parents would always bring a bunch of quarters, sit back and have a couple pitchers while all the kids would play this game.

Dom Heffner
06-23-2014, 06:50 PM
I remember both Lunken playfield and The Locker Room.

vaticanplum
06-23-2014, 07:03 PM
The Lunken Playfield is still there. Not sure about the military hardware.

wolfboy
06-23-2014, 08:03 PM
The Lunken Playfield is still there. Not sure about the military hardware.

The playfield is still there, but in an entirely different form. The jet, tank, and train cars are long gone. In their place is a cookie cutter plastic playground that won't inspire a fraction of the imagination its predescessors did.

vaticanplum
06-23-2014, 08:20 PM
The playfield is still there, but in an entirely different form. The jet, tank, and train cars are long gone. In their place is a cookie cutter plastic playground that won't inspire a fraction of the imagination its predescessors did.

The train too? That's a shame. I feel like we're about the same age, but I actually don't remember military stuff and I do remember a plastic playground. There was definitely a train there when I was little, though.

What about the restaurant, is that still there? Sky...dive? It can't be called Skydive. I could google this but why would I do that when you guys are here? My family never went there because it was a super fancy expensive place. Can this possibly be true?

Chip R
06-23-2014, 09:30 PM
The train too? That's a shame. I feel like we're about the same age, but I actually don't remember military stuff and I do remember a plastic playground. There was definitely a train there when I was little, though.

What about the restaurant, is that still there? Sky...dive? It can't be called Skydive. I could google this but why would I do that when you guys are here? My family never went there because it was a super fancy expensive place. Can this possibly be true?

I haven't bee to Lunken in years but the restaurant was still there then. They have a beer festival this weekend. I'll check it out.

redhawkfish
06-23-2014, 09:47 PM
When my daughter had early morning rowing practice downtown last summer, I would walk the trail around Lunken. There is just a generic playground, but the restaurant is still there called the "Sky Galley."

Dom Heffner
06-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Oh yeah it was awesome. Whenever my parents drove across Beechmont Levy I would stare out that side of tbe window and check out the tank and plane.

- - - Updated - - -

Sky Galley was the restaurant.

OGB
06-24-2014, 04:05 AM

Yeah and they start serving beer at 6am. Last time I was there was finishing off a long night of drinking with my buddy with goetta omelettes and cans of Budweiser at 6:30.