PDA

View Full Version : Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

Pages : [1] 2

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm going way back here, I know, but...

Mabley & Carew

McAlpin's

Ontarios (Anyone remember that place on Beechmont Ave?)

Twin Fair (next to K-Mart on Beechmont Ave)

Becker Drugs (Is that in Mt. Carmel anymore?)

The Log Cabin in Mt. Orab

These are pretty obscure, but I spent lots of time at these places as a kid.

LoganBuck
08-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Losing professional sports teams...........

RBA
08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Soap?

TC81190
08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Surf Cincinnati

Shoney's

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Mr. Gatti's? Though that might have been a chain.

Used to frequent the Beechmont Roller Rink as a kid, too.

RBA
08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Riverfront Stadium

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
uncle al,king kwik,paul dixon,bob braun,past prime playhouse,cool ghoul

westofyou
08-21-2006, 10:32 PM

Beechmont Ave, my first apartment was on that street in Mt Washington, right behind Gold Star... hence why I love GS mor ethen Skyline.

Where's those Gold Circle Malls and their Cinema's? The cheap ones with the cheesy music intro.

Zayre?

westofyou
08-21-2006, 10:32 PM
uncle al,king kwik,paul dixon,bob braun,past prime playhouse,cool ghoul
Love the King Kwick, miss Rob Ryder and Ruth Lyons... Al Schottlekotti too.

paintmered
08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
In a technical sense, me.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Paul Dixon. Chicken wedding anyone?

You can see his influence every night in Letterman.

I carried some merchandise out to Uncle Al's car once a few years back. I'll never forget when he said, "Just lay it in the back next to the accordion."

And I didn't realize the Kwik Brothers weren't really twins until some time in my early teens. My cousin laughed at me for days over that.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Oh my gosh....Gold Circle!!!!!

Used to wait for their weekly flyers to see if anything Star Wars was on sale.

WOY- you and I must have lived very close to each other at some point in time.

That whole area was a stomping ground.

Ever get the butter crumb cake from Mt. Washington bakery????

westofyou
08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
I carried some merchandise out to Uncle Al's car once a few years back. I'll never forget when he said, "Just lay it in the back next to the accordion."Uncle Al hit on my friend when she was 18... it involved the accordian as an icebreaker... creepy said she.

And another friend of mine (when she was 10) saw Captain Wendy chase Al down a boat dock whilst she had a pistol, he jumped in the Ohio river and she fired off the rounds, she missed and split... my friend cried.

reds1869
Surf Cincinnati

Shoney's

Shoney's is a chain originally based in Charleston, WV.

BUTLER REDSFAN
its eeeeeeeeeeeeeleven o clock in the tristate.Time for Al Schottlekotti news.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Rob Ryder

Also got a chance to meet him when he did some video work for Sporty's.

He has a bit part in the "Shawshank Redemtion." He's the guard that goes to unlock the warden's office near the end of the movie. Blink and you'll miss him.

Phhhl
08-21-2006, 10:37 PM
The Cool Ghoul, Bob Shreeves, Swallens, Zantigo, Hudepohl beer, Cincinnati Suds, The Stingers, Playboy Club.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Remember the plugs for Barq's during Bob Braun's show????

And Pringles???

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
the windjammer(if sharonville counts)

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Swallen's had the conveyor that you could drop a cassette onto you wanted to buy. I bought REO Speedwagon's "Hi-Fidelity" there...pulled it off the shelf and dropped it onto that conveyer belt.

cincinnati chili
08-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Mark Sebastian's publicity stunts on Q-102

BUTLER REDSFAN
my dad watched the 4pm wirt cain channel nine movie everyday

Dom Heffner
Beverly Hills Supper Club

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM

He's a radio personality here in Tampa now. He was a legend. One of the reasons I dabbled in radio for awhile.

Dom Heffner
Anyone remember the voice of Channel 19, WXIX????

That guy was the only person that worked for that station.

BUTLER REDSFAN
didnt johnny bench own a restraunt on colerain?

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-21-2006, 10:43 PM
dont know his name but i just heard somekind of commercial on 19 with his voice on it

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:49 PM
didnt johnny bench own a restraunt on colerain?

Yeah- I sat in the big catcher's mitt he had in the lobby.

dman
08-21-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't know if this counts since it's technically outside of Cincinnati proper, but I miss the Cincinnati Reds Gift Shop at King's Island

westofyou
I want to see you totally and completely.....................naked.

cincinnati chili
The asbestos-ridden Sanders Hall towering above UC campus.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Beechmont Ave, my first apartment was on that street in Mt Washington, right behind Gold Star... hence why I love GS mor ethen Skyline.

I grew up in Mt. Washington til I was eleven (and my family moved back there after I was grown up), and to this day it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the world. One of the most unpretentious places I've ever seen, literally project housing next to unsung 200+ year-old log cabins and Victorian houses, and pretty much unaware and nonchalant about it. Things that used to be in Mt. Washington but aren't anymore: the children's clothes store (Fantasia I think it was called), the old Kroger's (the new big one that backs up on the street makes me ill -- I refused to shop there every time I came home from college because of the size and layout), the Gold Star you're referring to (moved across the street), Hardee's (for the best, really), and some other things. El Rancho Rankin was condemned, and Beechmont Avenue there finally went to four lanes and they cut down a lot of trees to do it. There's a big ugly walgreen's now too. The little library where I spent every monday afternoon is still there though, along with the LaRosa's, the bakery, the drive-up liquor stand, stanbury Park, and of course the water tower.

Til recently my mother lived in a beautiful farmhouse on a good deal of land, built in 1900, that backed up onto a 13-acre polo farm with some horses, two cows, and Billy the Goat (who would sometimes break loose and roam through the neighborhood). This is smack in the middle of Mt. Washington, in the limits of the city of Cincinnati. This is really quite difficult to find in modern cities...I love Mt. Washington. I hope it never gets too gentrified or too awful.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
larry smith and the puppets

RBA
08-21-2006, 10:57 PM
WKRP, Herb, Johnny Fever, Mr Carlson, Andy, Venus, Bailey, Les, and the Blonde.

Falls City Beer
08-21-2006, 10:58 PM
The Jockey Club (if you count Newport)

Weidemann Beer

Van Leunen's

Brendamour's Sporting Goods

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:58 PM
That library is at the base of the big water tower, isn't it?

I was up there a few years ago for my grandmother's funeral right across the street. The Linder family sent flowers, which was a bit....odd.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Van Leunen's

Holy crap!!!!

They had a grocery store on the other side at the one on Ohio Pike in Amelia.

El Rancho Rankin...classic!!!!!!!!

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Brendamour's Sporting Goods

Holy crap that is where I used to get my shinguards for soccer. If someone had held a gun to my head for a hundred years I would never have remembered the name of that place.

Falls City Beer
08-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Holy crap that is where I used to get my shinguards for soccer.

Me too.

Small(ish) world.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:03 PM
That library is at the base of the big water tower, isn't it?

I was up there a few years ago for my grandmother's funeral right across the street. The Linder family sent flowers, which was a bit....odd.

Yep, and the post office is right next to it, with a cemetery behind them. I think that funeral home is called TP White's.

In that neck of the woods...what was the name of the old people's restaurant at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile where they gave you a whole chocolate cake for your birthday? I think it was a chain...but now there's something else there, an IHOP or something, which is riconkulous.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 11:04 PM
In that neck of the woods...what was the name of the old people's restaurant at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile where they gave you a whole chocolate cake for your birthday?

Bill Knapp's.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 11:04 PM
And Putt Putt was across the street.

Falls City Beer
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM

I was "removed" from that Putt-putt for hitting balls into the parking lot.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:06 PM

Ahhhhh!!! And that buffet place that got shut down for rats! What was that called? My grandparents used to take me there. My grandparents took me to a lot of grandparently restaurants, surprisgingly.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:07 PM
I was "removed" from that Putt-putt for hitting balls into the parking lot.

:laugh:

I was banned from the go-kart place in Eastgate after crashing my go-kart. I was chasing a boy at the time.

Dom Heffner
I think buffet and I think of Dufff's/ There was one in Milford and one on Beechmont I think, later, where one of those Buffalo Wild Wings places is.

Falls City Beer
Ahhhhh!!! And that buffet place that got shut down for rats! What was that called? My grandparents used to take me there. My grandparents took me to a lot of grandparently restaurants, surprisgingly.

Duff's Smorgasbord?

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Anyone remember Fazio's, where you had to mark your groceries with a black crayon to indicate the price? Talk about the honor system..."Yeah, this box of cereal yis 50 cents...."

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:10 PM
I don't think it was called Duff's...I feel like it started with a B...though I'm not sure I'd recognize it. I was pretty little when it got closed down.

I'm supposed to be packing, guys, not reminising on a message board.

Falls City Beer
:laugh:

I was banned from the go-kart place in Eastgate after crashing my go-kart. I was chasing a boy at the time.

I'm sure my ball-foisting antics were designed to catch the eye of some belle. I was in 8th grade, I think.

Dom Heffner
vatican plum:

I lived on State Rd in the house that now is on th ecorner of 5 mile and State across from the new library. It has a diamond shaped window on the second floor facing 5 Mile Road.

My mother's maiden name is Ayer, which is also the name of an elementary named for one of my relatives.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:13 PM
vatican plum:

I lived on State Rd in the house that now is on th ecorner of 5 mile and State across from the new library. It has a diamond shaped window on the second floor facing 5 Mile Road.

My mother's maiden name is Ayer, which is also the name of an elementary named for one of my relatives.

I kid you not: I know exactly what house you're talking about. That was so close to where I grew up, and I also worked at that library during high school, before it was renovated. I got laid a lot in high school, obviously.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 11:16 PM
I kid you not: I know exactly what house you're talking about. That was so close to where I grew up, and I also worked at that library during high school, before it was renovated. I got laid a lot in high school, obviously.

It was the house I was born in. Lived there from 1969 until around 1972, when we moved to Berkshire Rd and then out to Clermont County (the end of my sophistication lol).

That house had a bathroom in the hallway it wa so small. Used to sit with my mom and watch Paul Dixon and the Sonny and Cher Show.

I went to Sherwood Elementary for a stretch and then to Clough Pike. The same librarian I had as a kid is still there, 30 years later.

That library and hospital weren't there when I lived there.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I went to Sherwood Elementary for a stretch and then to Clough Pike. The same librarian I had as a kid is still there, 30 years later.

It is important to note in this particular thread that some things in Cincinnati never, ever change.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Sometimes when I go back I realize they don't, VP.

Just remembered Shillito's at Beechmont Mall. They had those dark brown benches that used to give me splinters as a kid.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Just remembered Shillito's at Beechmont Mall. They had those dark brown benches that used to give me splinters as a kid.

B. Dalton! Orange Julius! That music store across from Orange Julius where I bought my first tape! Ahhh!!!

edit: This buffet thing is officially driving me nuts now. Too bad my grandparents are asleep, I would call them.

Falls City Beer
08-21-2006, 11:29 PM
B. Dalton! Orange Julius! That music store across from Orange Julius where I bought my first tape! Ahhh!!!

edit: This buffet thing is officially driving me nuts now. Too bad my grandparents are asleep, I would call them.

Tapes.

vaticanplum
08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Tapes.

They are kind of like 8-tracks, only more modern :p:

(I should shut my mouth...I'm sure there are many here who have never even touched a cassette tape, nor known the joy of a Texas Instruments sing-along tape recorder.)

Po' Folks, maybe? There was a Po' Folks on Beechmont I think, near the Wonderbread store. But that's not what I'm thinking of...I don't think this restaurant was part of a chain.

Dom Heffner
08-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Anyone remember Record and Tape Outlet?

Heath
08-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Riverside Ford was a bridge and a block from Downtown Cincinnati.

The First National Bank of Cincinnati was a big deal.

Folks were Friendlier at Albers - home of the Green Stamps.

I remember Channel 64 called WIII for the "I's of Cincinnati".

Anybody remember James Francis Scott O'Neill?

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-21-2006, 11:56 PM
i'm still thinkin...tony sands..rich king,dave lee,desperate and dateless,i think it was roller derby on channel 19 after the cool ghoul,ira joe writing backwards...paul summerkamp...........

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-21-2006, 11:58 PM
ONTV(but only because my friend had ONPLUS) :)

wally post
08-21-2006, 11:59 PM
the only buffet I remember was David's Buffet - in Colerain.(? - i think)
Dante's...
I used to play in KY at the Round Up while in high school (five nights a week - no wonder my grades were bad:D)
Dixie Chili anyone?

Paul Dixon was great - so was Ruth Lyons. Her drummer was my first drum teacher.
other misc. clubs wehre I played as a kid-
The Pickle Barrel in Clifton
The Inner Circle
Hm...well - they say if you remember the sixties then you weren't there!

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
I remember John Mirlesena- my Aunt's first husband- could get anything done in 3 days.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
David's Buffet

Bingo. That was the one.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 12:04 AM
ONTV(but only because my friend had ONPLUS)

My uncle swore that ONPlus was here to stay because the movies they showed, "sort of had a plot" to them.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-22-2006, 12:06 AM
every night i prayed for that stinking squiggly line in the middle to disappear

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 12:08 AM
every night i prayed for that stinking squiggly line in the middle to disappear

I've said that prayer many a time, my friend.

cincinnati chili
08-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Remember 'The Bat' at Kings' Island.

Hollcat
08-22-2006, 12:21 AM
The Reds 580 gift shop. (I'm sure there's still a Reds gift shop somewhere downtown but it isn't called the 580 anymore.)
The curve coming down the hill on I-75 from KY where you briefly got a glimpse of the skyline and then it disappeared until you got further down the hill.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 12:47 AM
I've only been here 13 years, so I can't go as far back as you guys can; loved your interesting conversation though.

Anyway, these are some places I thought of (and miss):

Scully's Sports Bar on the Skywalk (my favorite sports bar)
Covington Landing
Las Brisas (outdoor bar/grotto at The Waterfront)... loved it
Thriftway (it was nice to have a just plain old supermarket besides Kroger)
Inn the Wood (rustic restaurant in Clifton that got wiped out by UC's expansion/renovation)
Kaldi's, that absolutely WONDERFUL coffee house on Main St.

And all those places that got wiped out to make room for Paul Brown Stadium: Hurricane's (and its adjacent sports bar), Caddy's, Flannigan's, The Spaghetti Factory

That comedy club that used to be in the basement of the Carew Tower... it was owned by Ray Coombs, but I can't remember what it was called.

Shoney's is a chain originally based in Charleston, WV.

There is a Shoney's on Sharon Rd (I think that's the name of the street), right around the corner from the original Burbank's BarBQ.

The curve coming down the hill on I-75 from KY where you briefly got a glimpse of the skyline and then it disappeared until you got further down the hill.

There's still one that fits your description, but I'm sure it isn't the one you're talking about.

The very first time I drove into Cincinnati from the airport, that skyline just jumped up and slapped me in the face with absolutely no warning. Wow! It still gives me goosebumps and I think it's the most breathtaking view of the city.

Cedric
08-22-2006, 12:55 AM
I miss the Buzz in Clifton.

RosieRed
08-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Kaldi's, that absolutely WONDERFUL coffee house on Main St.

Kaldi's is still on Main Street. Or it was as of a couple weeks ago, when I last drove by it.

TeamCasey
08-22-2006, 07:41 AM
And Pringles???

http://www.pringles.com/pages/meet_pringles_main.shtml (Pringles)

Still here. I'm having Jalapeno flavored for breakfast.

WVRed
08-22-2006, 07:56 AM

It is a chain, there are still two where I used to live. They have a "Gatti Land" now that has the pizza and a lot bigger game room. I went there one time and you had to use this plug-in(kinda like a USB port) for the games instead of a slot machine. They had laser tag and a simulated roller coaster as well.

If you want something similar to Mr Gatti's, Cici's Pizza is pretty good, plus its cheap at $3.99.

Sweetstop
08-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Uncle Al hit on my friend when she was 18... it involved the accordian as an icebreaker... creepy said she.

And another friend of mine (when she was 10) saw Captain Wendy chase Al down a boat dock whilst she had a pistol, he jumped in the Ohio river and she fired off the rounds, she missed and split... my friend cried.

I remember crying when I saw my cousin on Uncle Al, and I didn't get to go, too. Now I feel better.:)

chicoruiz
08-22-2006, 08:15 AM
1. Hey Dom, if you went to 1st grade at Sherwood my sister may have been your teacher.

2. I worked in broadcasting in Cincy for several years, and I know stories about a lot of the names mentioned in this thread.

3. This is really obscure, but my favorite store in Cincinnati was on Main St. and was called "Bertrand Smith's Acres of Books". It was a narrow, 4-story building full of dusty old secondhand books, and when you bought one the guy who worked there wouldn't put it in a bag; he'd wrap it up into a parcel with brown paper and string. I dug the heck out of that; I felt like I was in London or something. It's probably been gone for 15 years.

KittyDuran
08-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Mark Sebastian's publicity stunts on Q-102"Everybody Wants You" Billy Squier for 24 hours! :eek:

08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
I remember a rib place downtown kind of in an alley called The Rib Pit or The Rib Barn or something like that. I really liked it, although I only went there 3 or 4 times. I think it was between 6th and 7th streets. Anyone else been there?

Blimpie
08-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Remember 'The Bat' at Kings' Island.How about the "Screamon Deamon?"

Blimpie
08-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Anybody remember that downtown bar (on Walnut?) called "The Stadium Club"...It was pretty much a dive, but it had its charm for thirsty patrons.

Jimmy, the owner, reminded me alot of Coach from Cheers....except taller.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
There is a Shoney's on Sharon Rd (I think that's the name of the street), right around the corner from the original Burbank's BarBQ.

There used to be a Friendly's over there that is now a Chinese buffet, IIRC.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 09:07 AM
How about the "Screamon Deamon?"
I haven't been to Kings Island in years. Do they still do some concerts at Timberwolf? Is there still a Festhaus? They stopped selling beer after someone fell in one of the ponds and drowned, IIRC. Is there still no beer sold there? Did I also hear correctly that they took the Animal Kingdom out as well?

Roy Tucker
08-22-2006, 09:09 AM
The Cincinnati Royals.

Bob Shreve and his all night theatre. Used to buy quarts of Burger beer and watch chickey get a little longer.

BuckWoody
08-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Anybody remember that downtown bar (on Walnut?) called "The Stadium Club"...It was pretty much a dive, but it had its charm for thirsty patrons.

Jimmy, the owner, reminded me alot of Coach from Cheers....except taller.
I do...I think. I remember that you had to walk down from street level to get to it and it was only a block or two from Riverfront. I remember eating there with my parents a couple of times before games back in the 70's. Seems to me it wasn't such a dive but maybe I was there before it went downhill or quite possibly I'm thinking of a different place altogether.

I miss the bars and restaurants that TeamBoone mentioned: Caddy's, Flannigan's, The Spaghetti Factory, Scully's. Hopefully they'll get "The Banks" project finished and restore some of those types of places in my lifetime.

Roy Tucker
08-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Sleepout Louie's

The Cincinnati Playboy Club

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Yep, and the post office is right next to it, with a cemetery behind them. I think that funeral home is called TP White's.

In that neck of the woods...what was the name of the old people's restaurant at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile where they gave you a whole chocolate cake for your birthday? I think it was a chain...but now there's something else there, an IHOP or something, which is riconkulous.

Bill Knapp's I think.

Was it Ground Round that had all of the baseball helmet sundae's? It was at the corner of Beechmont and Nagel?

I always loved the Murray Bros. in Beechmont Mall as a kid. There might still be one downtown. Well.....Beechmont Mall is no more.

When I was a kid, I always loved these mushroom swiss burgers at Burger Chef. Now I hate burgers. Go figure.

**edit** Among other things....my grade school doesn't exist anymore. I went to Newtown Elementary on School St. They moved it to the old Turpin Middle School and called it Mercer (?)

I can't believe I had forgotten Putt Putt Golf. I lived for that place.

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 09:24 AM
I haven't been to Kings Island in years. Do they still do some concerts at Timberwolf? Is there still a Festhaus? They stopped selling beer after someone fell in one of the ponds and drowned, IIRC. Is there still no beer sold there? Did I also hear correctly that they took the Animal Kingdom out as well?

Two summers ago I saw Modest Mouse at Timberwolf. I hadn't heard of any concerts there this summer though.

RANDY IN INDY
08-22-2006, 09:38 AM
The terrace. Houston, there's no comparison.

Shillito's department stores. I believe they may be "Lazarus" now. Always advertised in the Reds yearbooks.

Swallens department stores.

Burger beer, Waite Hoyte's favorite.

Pete Rose and Johnny Bench Lincon-Mercury, a short lived venture, I believe.

Siebler Suits, The Siebler Tailoring Co. anyone know if they still exist?

flyer85
08-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Burger Beer

Heath
08-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Jerry Springer was just an ex-mayor turned weeknight news anchor on 5. Pat Berry's weather.

Burkhardt's Men's Store. My dad would go get his dress shirts from there. Used to have a very small section of Reds Stuff.

When I-75 wasn't I-75 - it was the "Mill Creek Expressway".

Central Hardware. You could buy Reds tickets from them.

Good times.

Heath
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Siebler Suits, The Siebler Tailoring Co. anyone know if they still exist?

Gone - I think the exit 2A ramp from 75 to Western Ave runs through it.

Heath
08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
edited - I didn't read FCB's post - nevermind

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Anyone ever have a birthday party at Farrell's, the ice cream place?

Roy Tucker
08-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Still have concerts at Timberwolf. My daughters went over to see Aly and AJ a week or so back. Leeann Rimes just cancelled I think. They have a lot of Christian music concerts now.

It used to be if you had a season pass, you could get a Timberwolf ticket for like $5. At the time, my kids were little. So we'd buy tickets, put the kids in the stroller, and go see bands like Jefferson Starship, Dan Fogelberg, Moody Blues, the Go-Go's, Jimmy Buffett, REO Speedwagon, Kenny Loggins, a real melange of 80's music. We'd sit in the very back row and pretend we were still hip.

Festhaus is still open. Still no beer. Animal Kingdom is long gone, I think that is where they built Son of Beast.

Paramount just sold PKI to the group that owns Cedar Point, etc. So they'll probably phase out all the movie-themed rides over time. Hopefully it will go back to more of an amusement park and less of a big advertisement for Paramount movies.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Anyone ever have a birthday party at Farrell's, the ice cream place?
My ninth birthday (with my 3 best friends) consisted of a trip to McDonalds (they were not everywhere yet) then to Willy Wonka (the movie) topped off with a trip to Farrells where I got the "Zoo"

Best birthday ever.

Speaking of dead and gone places... who remembers Trivetts?

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 10:04 AM
My ninth birthday (with my 3 best friends) consisted of a trip to McDonalds (they were not everywhere yet) then to Willy Wonka (the movie) topped off with a trip to Farrells where I got the "Zoo"

Best birthday ever.

Trivetts just went under within the last two years. They were downtown forever, shut down for a year or so, then moved to a spot on Carthage Ave. near Norwood. I think the location wasn't good for business. They auctioned off the contents of the place about a year ago.

Roy Tucker
08-22-2006, 10:05 AM

Best birthday ever.

When in college back in the day, we'd get "fired up" and then go to Farrell's and get The Zoo.

They used to bring it out on a stretcher type thing with sirens, flashing red lights, and the stretcher boys making like the Three Stooges. Nothing like a bunch of stoned hippies laughing like hyenas and gobbling down massive quantities of ice cream. Families would flee.

TeamCasey
08-22-2006, 10:08 AM

Festhaus is still there. Not sure what changes will be made with the new ownership. They've always sold beer there when I went. You just have to drink it in designated areas.

Bob Borkowski
08-22-2006, 10:14 AM

Sure, but I think his name was James Francis Patrick O'Neill.

He was the morning guy at WLW radio during the Big Red Machine Days. Funny.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Is Johnny's Toys still around??? My grandma used to take me there on my birthday as you would get a free "goody" courtesy of Johnny.

vaticanplum
08-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Central Hardware. You could buy Reds tickets from them.

:lol: That is awesome!

Somebody mentioned bookstores -- what was the name of that bookstore in Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout that closed many years ago? It was kind of in a house I think, with books crammed everywhere all the way up to the ceiling. Was it Drew's?

And the short-lived, rat-infested buffet on Beechmont and Five Mile, by the Putt Putt, which I remember largely because I was teased mercilessly as a kid for my lack of a sweet tooth and it was the only place I liked dessert (blueberry pie) was...(drum roll) MA BENTLEY'S.

(This information courtesy of my Grampa, who remembers everything that's happened the last 89 years except, you know, what he had for breakfast this morning. I knew he'd come through.)

vaticanplum
08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Is Johnny's Toys still around??? My grandma used to take me there on my birthday as you would get a free "goody" courtesy of Johnny.

You would get a key in the mail and then go into the special castle room!

Man, you guys are killing me here.

edit: I think that's where I got my little flimsy birthday record every year, they had one with every kid's (theoretically) name in the song. "My name is Zoom and I live on the moon and I came down to earth just to sing you this tune..." anyway.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 10:30 AM
In Milford there's still one IIRC... of course my in-laws moved to the otherside of town (Westchester) after 30 years of me going to the eastside to visit my old stomping grounds I still have a hard time enjoying my stays in Cincinnati as much as I did when I was in familar territory.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 10:56 AM
You would get a key in the mail and then go into the special castle room!

That's great!!! I knew there was some sort of cool "procedure" for procuring the toy.

I've got something else that is no more. Agricultural area in southern Butler County.

CrackerJack
08-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Feldhaus Sporting Goods (now Kattus Sporting Goods, owned by former Bengal in Hartwell)

Uh, Crosley Field

Woolworth's?

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Where could I go to find an Empress Chili?

CrackerJack
08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
In Milford there's still one IIRC... of course my in-laws moved to the otherside of town (Westchester) after 30 years of me going to the eastside to visit my old stomping grounds I still have a hard time enjoying my stays in Cincinnati as much as I did when I was in familar territory.

I think the one in Greenhills is still there.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I remember a Ben Franklin store in downtown Batavia.

Also I lived in Beechmont when that Irish bar was an IHOP at the corner of Wolfangel (???)....

What was the name of the musical instrument chain....Buddy Rogers (???)

Also- loved Moon-Lite Chili in Mt. Carmel.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Hader Hardware

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Alber's Grocery. Family connection there.
Empress chili? Or does it still exist?
Island Queen (http://www.cincypost.com/news/1997/island090397.html)
Lots of churches and other stuff like them- St. George, in particular, where my aunt was the organist, and Mt. Alverno, where my family used to go to mass once in a while.
The railroad bridges and tressels from Bridgetown through Price Hill and generally, Streetcars (http://homepage.mac.com/jjakucyk/Transit1/)
Huenefeldt's, truck farms, dairy farms and greenhouses in Delhi.
Main Street - a revival defeated.
Acropolis! Gone, so I hear from my brother.
Inn the Wood. I think it still exists, but once it moved out of the old place and into the bigger building it went down hill. Best hangover cure in the world, the Peterson Special.
Maisonette - only went there once, but couldn't believe it. Incredible place.
Sporting Goods stores - Brendamours, especially.
What was the name of the place downtown- the discount department store? Was it Ben's?
West Hi v. Elder on Thanksgiving Day.
Berninger's Christmas Tree farm
Um...Price Hill, generally.
El Rancho Rankin

Heath
08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Where could I go to find an Empress Chili?

In Hartwell on Vine Street.

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 11:41 AM
3. This is really obscure, but my favorite store in Cincinnati was on Main St. and was called "Bertrand Smith's Acres of Books". It was a narrow, 4-story building full of dusty old secondhand books, and when you bought one the guy who worked there wouldn't put it in a bag; he'd wrap it up into a parcel with brown paper and string. I dug the heck out of that; I felt like I was in London or something. It's probably been gone for 15 years.

Acres closed in the 90's, a very sad day for me. Right across from the Ohio bookstore. They were classics. I don't know if Dutenhofers still exists or not.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Hader Hardware
There's still some Hader Hardwares out there.
http://www.haderhardware.com/Store_Locations_1.htm

Buddy Rogers Music is still in business too. They even have an online store!
http://www.joinband.com/ret_store_locator.asp?storeID=DGTACR670DVT8JWC5RL3 RW5KCER34R49

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Back to Kings Island... how about the College Football Hall of Fame???

westofyou
08-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Acres closed in the 90's, a very sad day for me. Right across from the Ohio bookstore. They were classics. I don't know if Dutenhofers still exists or not.
I hit the Ohio Bookstore everytime I hit town... it's a don't miss for me.

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Update...it was Ben's Department Store.
My dad use to take us there to buy sporting goods. He was convinced most of the stuff was hot...
Here's an obit (June, 2001) for the original owner, a real colorful character:

Ben Schottenstein, 89, store owner

Six decades owning a downtown Cincinnati store wasn't enough for Ben Schottenstein.

After he sold his Ben's Department Store at Eighth Street and Central Avenue to the city of Cincinnati in the late 1980s, he missed the business and interacting with people so much he opened another store - and he worked there every day until three weeks before his death.

He died Thursday at his Amberley Village home.

He was 89.

After coming to Cincinnati from Columbus, where he was the youngest of a prominent family, Mr. Schottenstein opened his store in 1937, operating for almost 50 years. He was known to serve a diverse clientele, cashing checks for customers when banks wouldn't and fighting so-called 'blue laws' so his store could open on Sundays to serve customers who could shop only then.

That kind of service helped him when racial tensions increased and, while other stores were being looted or had their windows broke, Ben's wasn't bothered.

minus5
08-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Man!! I can't believe that I missed this thread when it started!! This is what I live for (sad, yeah I know). My 4 year old son is the only one in his pre-school that does the Cool Ghoul Bla-bla-blblblblblbl. He was hooked on a Cool Ghoul DVD that I have for a while. I still watch dvds of Shreve's Past Prime Playhouse. Above my desk is an autographed poster of the Cool Ghoul, which is next to the framed 8x10 of Bob Shreve, which is next to my hand-fan with a picture of Paul Dixon and Bonnie Lou on it

OK, no one has mentioned The Midwestern Hayride yet...Or Skipper Ryle...

I know there are a lot of bad rumors about Uncle Al but I have to say I have talked with him a few itmes and he is one of the funniest people I have ever met. What a bunch of great stories he has.

Hey Dom, I remember Ontario's, there used to be one in Newport. It became Rink's which became Van Lunens which became Sear's Hardware/IGA (which became Remke's).

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it Dom. :thumbup:

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 12:09 PM
I remember a Ben Franklin store in downtown Batavia.

Also I lived in Beechmont when that Irish bar was an IHOP at the corner of Wolfangel (???)....

What was the name of the musical instrument chain....Buddy Rogers (???)

Also- loved Moon-Lite Chili in Mt. Carmel.

Man, that IHOP one really brings back memories. It was an A-frame building, right? Every weekend, my grandfather would take me there. They had a berry flavored syrup that I just lived for. In all honesty, I really lived for getting to go to breakfast with my grandfather.

Heath
08-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Man, that IHOP one really brings back memories. It was an A-frame building, right? Every weekend, my grandfather would take me there. They had a berry flavored syrup that I just lived for. In all honesty, I really lived for getting to go to breakfast with my grandfather.

See, Perkins was hot with Frisch's for my weekend breakfasts.

Nothing said a ball game though better than a Big Boy Platter with Onion Rings and a Cherry Coke - and then the drive down to the lot under the Suspension bridge, park and walk to the big circle stadium known as Riverfront.

minus5
08-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Has anyone mentioned Steinbergs or Swallen's yet?

westofyou
08-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Has anyone mentioned Steinbergs or Swallen's yet?
My MIL worked at Swallens.... Red Bank Road baby..... down the street from the original Mainliner.

redsmetz
08-22-2006, 12:19 PM

JFPO? Another big influence on David Letterman, as well as Rich King.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Is there still a planetarium in Eden Park?

redsmetz
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM

I loved Acres of Books. My wife and I when we were first engaged and then married would always get each a classic book for Christmas and a birthday. We've still got some. The first one she gave me was Grapes of Wrath - what a fine book.

Now I sell them on Amazon.

minus5
08-22-2006, 12:26 PM
My MIL worked at Swallens.... Red Bank Road baby..... down the street from the original Mainliner.

The Swallens on Red Bank that is where they had the really good stuff. Some home recording equipment (up to 4 tracks!) and what not.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 12:28 PM
The Swallens on Red Bank that is where they had the really good stuff. Some home recording equipment (up to 4 tracks!) and what not.
After you'd go there don't forget to gas up at Tresler Comet down the road.

http://www.gassigns.org/bigemblm/comet.jpg

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Is there still a planetarium in Eden Park?
Do you mean the one that was part of the old Natural History Museum at Gilbert and, what is that, Elsinore?

There is still an observatory up near Ault Park.

minus5
08-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Do you mean the one that was part of the old Natural History Museum at Gilbert and, what is that, Elsinore?

There is still an observatory up near Ault Park.

That is where the new home of WCPO is.

Heath
08-22-2006, 12:37 PM
After you'd go there don't forget to gas up at Tresler Comet down the road.

http://www.gassigns.org/bigemblm/comet.jpg

I have an old Redlegs glass from Tresler Comet -

http://img136.exs.cx/img136/3319/tresslercometrdqt2pi.jpg

Heath
08-22-2006, 12:47 PM
JFPO? Another big influence on David Letterman, as well as Rich King.

For those of you who don't know JFPO - think Gary Burbank - with class and a thousand times funnier.

Here's the Post Article when he passed away in 2004.

O'Neill remembered as radio pro
By Rick Bird
Post staff reporter

For 14 years James Francis Patrick O'Neill was known as the "morning mayor" by listeners of WLW. His radio colleagues remembered him this week as "the lovable one," the phrase that became their pet name for him.

O'Neill was laid to rest Monday after his death Thursday in Cincinnati at the age of 75. He had battled emphysema and pneumonia.

In the '70s O'Neill ruled the morning airwaves, unseating Stan Matlock at WKRC as the tri-state's morning drive king.

"What he did was a great example of theater of the mind," said WGRR's Jim LaBarbara, who worked with O'Neill for 12 years at WLW. "He had these great skits, 'As Your Stomach Turns,' 'Shady Corner.' And he created everything. There were no writers or cast of production characters. He was all the voices, the writer."

O'Neill, a Wyoming native, was already an established, well-traveled radio talent by the time he got to Cincinnati in 1967.

"The story is when he got here he said, 'What do I need to do?'" LaBarbara said. "'Well, Matlock has a 50 share, we have a 14. You got to beat him.' He did. He became No. 1 in the market."

O'Neill did it by simply being clever.

"The audience loved his wry sense of humor," said Shad O'Shea, a former air talent and record producer. "He was totally sacrilegious when it came to everything, even religion, and he was a very devout Catholic. But if he found humor in a situation he would run with it."

O'Neill was one of the last breed of the AM jocks who produced skits and humorous bits to create his own alternative universe for listeners. It's a brand of radio comedy rarely practiced in these shock jock days.

One of the few remaining practitioners of that old school of AM humor is WLW's Gary Burbank, who, ironically, found himself hired at the station to replace O'Neill in 1982. Burbank said it was both uncomfortable and exciting to meet the radio talent who had inspired him.

"He was one of my absolute radio heroes," Burbank said. "His comedy reflected people like Jonathan Winters, Ernie Kovacs, Bob and Ray -- that genre of doing absurd satire."

Burbank said O'Neill "had the ability to take a joke that you may have heard a hundred times, but when he did it, it was a lot funnier. He taught me a lot of what I do today."

Off the air, O'Neill is remembered by his radio buddies as someone who was a great listener.

"He was positively the best audience you could tell a joke to," O'Shea said. "With JFP, you could drop a paper clip and he would laugh."

His colleagues also remember O'Neill as the consummate radio professional.

"He was the most prepared guy I ever worked with," LaBarbara said. "He always had a stack of material. He was a radio man. He lived radio."

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 01:06 PM

Any vinyl or tapes (later) that I got as a kid came from Swallens or Sears.

Blimpie
08-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I do...I think.(Jimmy's Stadium Club) I remember that you had to walk down from street level to get to it and it was only a block or two from Riverfront. I remember eating there with my parents a couple of times before games back in the 70's. Seems to me it wasn't such a dive but maybe I was there before it went downhill or quite possibly I'm thinking of a different place altogether.Yep, that's it alright. From the street, you went down a tight stairway and found yourself in the hostess station for the restaurant. You had to cross the restaurant to enter the bar (in it's own separate room).

The bar area was where the charm came in to play. Lots of old time Cincy memorabilia on display--but not of the sports kind. I remember a framed picture of the original architectural drawing of the Roebling suspension bridge and associated construction photos from the late 19th century.

The owner had an uncanny knack for remembering names of people (like myself) who might stop in only 1-2 times per season. He would say, "Hey, you're the guy who came in last fall and I helped get Pirates tickets. Howya doin?" Stuff like that blew me away.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyone remember Jerry Galvin's "Plummet Mall"? That guy was hilarious, too. He had a radio show on Sunday nights on WVXU where the whole thing was a joke. You could call in, but you had to be in on the joke or he would politiely let you go. Brilliant stuff. He had a sidekick, I want to say his name was Martin. My uncle on my father's side was involved in politics and he knew Galvin's brother, Gene (??)who is a local politician.

And that berry syrup at IHOP...oh man...I had no idea what a boysenberry was, but I got it everytime I went there, although I always called it "Poison Berry," which made my mom laugh.

That Mainliner was where I ate with my grandmother for the last time a few years ago. Love that part of town. I remember when Mariemont theater was a big deal. Didn't WOY work there?

Another great memory: getting to eat Frisch's in the car. They had that little intercom you pushed the button and ordered and then they brought it out to you. We used to do that a lot.

You guys are bringing back some terrific memories here.

The Steinberg's shout out was fantastic. And the El Rancho Rankin. I had a cousin who lived there. Really.

Do they still have the playground at Lunken Airport? That was a big deal when I was under the age of 10. Even if we were driving by there, I would jump to that side of the car just to watch it.

My dad worked at the Ford Plant on Red Bank Rd....used to go over that way quite a bit.

In the very, very olden days, my great aunt ran a fish stand down there somewhere.

Speaking of fish, wasn't there a Squire Jack's chain in Cincy back in the 70s?

Keep it coming, guys, this is great.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
I remember when Mariemont theater was a big deal. Didn't WOY work there?My first job.. only job until I went to college, I did everything... including put the films together and running the projector.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 01:35 PM
My wife (who was born and raised in Cincinnati) says that Johnnys Toys would send you an invite to come by on your birthday and get a free toy, only problem is that the toy was alwasy a piece of crap and cheap... however all the other kids in the family ended up with something because they were in the store.

My MIL also went to school with the Cool Ghoul (whom my wife credits with teaching here how to brush her teeth correctly) Apparently the CG was a weirdo in school as well.

minus5
08-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I remember Jerry Lewis doing a TV commercial for Steinberg's. Someone mentioned The Kwik Brothers. Mike Tangi did those as well as the Home City Ice commercials (remember when we had places to buy...ice?). He also worked on the Uncle Al show for years and wrote a lot of the little songs (put your toys away, don't delay. Help your mommy have a happy day).

How about Mayor's Jewlers? "Your job means credit at Mayor's that's right. See it today and wear it tonight"

westofyou
08-22-2006, 01:36 PM
My dad worked at the Ford Plant on Red Bank Rd....used to go over that way quite a bit.

IIRC it's a sports mall now, indoor soccer and all that rot.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Sorry, but I have to do this:
http://www.larrysmithpuppets.com/coolghoul01.jpg

minus5
08-22-2006, 01:40 PM
My wife (who was born and raised in Cincinnati) says that Johnnys Toys would send you an invite to come by on your birthday and get a free toy, only problem is that the toy was alwasy a piece of crap and cheap... however all the other kids in the family ended up with something because they were in the store.

My MIL also went to school with the Cool Ghoul (whom my wife credits with teaching here how to brush her teeth correctly) Apparently the CG was a weirdo in school as well.

Johnny's still sends you an invite with the key to the birthday castle and they toys is still crap. My kid still thinks it's cool though and probably will for another couple of years.

Dick Von Hoene (Cool Ghoul) was a pretty nice guy. I got to know him a few years before he died. Even as a grown man, I still thought it was so cool that "The Cool Ghoul" called me at work whenever he happened to have a TV special planned. My co-workers probably thought I was lame. I don't care. :D

minus5
08-22-2006, 01:52 PM

OK but....

flyer85
08-22-2006, 02:06 PM

for some reason the Cool Ghoul brings back memories of Bob Shreve and the Past Prime Playhouse.

"Anyone want to see chickee a little longer?"

minus5
08-22-2006, 02:15 PM
And now back to part 43 of tonight's fine mooo'n picture starring good ole' what's his face. Roll 'em Charlie!

pedro
08-22-2006, 02:34 PM
its eeeeeeeeeeeeeleven o clock in the tristate.Time for Al Schottlekotti news.

I went to school at OU with his daughter Ellen. Nice girl. Cute too. Once told her that her dad reminded me of "the Count" from Sesame Street.

Red Leader
08-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Was 96 Rock a Cincy channel? I listened to it all the time when I was a kid. Was so sad when they went off the air. I got in school suspension for 5 days for playing Joe Walsh's I.L.B.T.'s in my catholic grade school at recess. I was in 5th grade. That station truly did ROCK.

pedro
08-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Holy crap that is where I used to get my shinguards for soccer. If someone had held a gun to my head for a hundred years I would never have remembered the name of that place.

me too.

minus5
08-22-2006, 02:37 PM
I went to school at OU with his daughter Ellen. Nice girl. Cute too. Once told her that her dad reminded me of "the Count" from Sesame Street.

I used to run in to him a lot at the Walgreen's liquor department in the Newport shopping center all the time.

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Okay, did we ALL get our shin guards at Brendamours?
And I got my first pair of Adidas Beckenbauers there, too.

pedro
08-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Okay, did we ALL get our shin guards at Brendamours?
And I got my first pair of Adidas Beckenbauers there, too.

me too. :)

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
IIRC it's a sports mall now, indoor soccer and all that rot.

They have torn down the actual building the Ford Plant was in. I believe they are putting a super wal mart there. The sports mall was in a building behind the Ford Plant. That is still there.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 02:45 PM
They have torn down the actual building the Ford Plant was in. I believe they are putting a super wal mart there. The sports mall was in a building behind the Ford Plant. That is still there.
Ughhh a Super Walmart???

Yecchhhhhhhh....... I'll still shop at the Villiager on the Square myself. :p:

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Was 96 Rock a Cincy channel? I listened to it all the time when I was a kid. Was so sad when they went off the air. I got in school suspension for 5 days for playing Joe Walsh's I.L.B.T.'s in my catholic grade school at recess. I was in 5th grade. That station truly did ROCK.
96.5 They went country sometime during my formative years.

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Anyone remember Jerry Galvin's "Plummet Mall"? That guy was hilarious, too. He had a radio show on Sunday nights on WVXU where the whole thing was a joke. You could call in, but you had to be in on the joke or he would politiely let you go. Brilliant stuff. He had a sidekick, I want to say his name was Martin. My uncle on my father's side was involved in politics and he knew Galvin's brother, Gene (??)who is a local politician.

And that berry syrup at IHOP...oh man...I had no idea what a boysenberry was, but I got it everytime I went there, although I always called it "Poison Berry," which made my mom laugh.

That Mainliner was where I ate with my grandmother for the last time a few years ago. Love that part of town. I remember when Mariemont theater was a big deal. Didn't WOY work there?

Another great memory: getting to eat Frisch's in the car. They had that little intercom you pushed the button and ordered and then they brought it out to you. We used to do that a lot.

You guys are bringing back some terrific memories here.

The Steinberg's shout out was fantastic. And the El Rancho Rankin. I had a cousin who lived there. Really.

Do they still have the playground at Lunken Airport? That was a big deal when I was under the age of 10. Even if we were driving by there, I would jump to that side of the car just to watch it.

In the very, very olden days, my great aunt ran a fish stand down there somewhere.

Speaking of fish, wasn't there a Squire Jack's chain in Cincy back in the 70s?

Keep it coming, guys, this is great.

I can't believe I forgot about the Lunken Playfield. Man, that was a cool setup. They had the jet, the train cars, a firetruck maybe? Long since gone. It's been replaced by a stock plastic playground.

The El Rancho Rankin has been mentioned several times already. I haven't seen anyone mention the El Rancho Cadillac that had the statue of Santa Claus on the horse on top of it. When I was a teenager, the Chinese place in the parking lot of El Rancho Rankin had a cocktail lounge. They would serve anyone. Needless to say, it was a favorite amongst the Turpin/Anderson/Mt. Washington teens in the know. Well......just those brave enough to hang out in a dump like that.

Sweetstop
08-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Was it Skipper Ryle who did that "Bowling For Dollars" show?

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Ughhh a Super Walmart???

Yecchhhhhhhh....... I'll still shop at the Villiager on the Square myself. :p:

Yeah, tell me about it. Fairfax tried to fight it. I'd be pretty upset if I still had my house in Madisonville. It was a 5 minute walk from the Ford Plant.

minus5
08-22-2006, 02:52 PM
96.5 They went country sometime during my formative years.

THeir morning show with Marty Bender and Eddie Fingers was the best!

Hey remember the Cincinnati Suds softball team?

westofyou
08-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, tell me about it. Fairfax tried to fight it. I'd be pretty upset if I still had my house in Madisonville. It was a 5 minute walk from the Ford Plant.
And 10 minutes to look at the empty Bramble Pool.

That's my haunt, the whole area right there.. Fairfax to Milford to Anderson.

Currently my neighborhood is doing their best in chasing a Super Walmart away.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Kaldi's is still on Main Street. Or it was as of a couple weeks ago, when I last drove by it.

I read in the paper over the winter that it was closing after X amount of years in business. I just assumed it had closed.

pedro
08-22-2006, 02:56 PM
And 10 minutes to look at the empty Bramble Pool.

That's my haunt, the whole area right there.. Fairfax to Milford to Anderson.

Currently my neighborhood is doing their best in chasing a Super Walmart away.

I loved how the keebler plant made the whole area smell like cookies.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 02:57 PM
The Holidome in Sharonville. Used to sneak in there in the wintertime to swim.

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 02:59 PM
I read in the paper over the winter that it was closing after X amount of years in business. I just assumed it had closed.
I heard the owner wanted to sell, but hadn't heard about a buyer being found. It would be cool if they stayed in business. Is the Highland still in business? Now that place was a coffee house. If you could get a wait person to put down their smoke to get you a cup of coffee you were lucky. But once you did, they'd fill that thing up all night.

minus5
08-22-2006, 02:59 PM
How about the Dent, The Dixie, The Ferguson Hills, The Riverview, Pike 27, Starlight, etc...drive-ins?

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Two summers ago I saw Modest Mouse at Timberwolf. I hadn't heard of any concerts there this summer though.

Somebody was there just recently, or is going to be there really soon... I'm thinking Cheryl Crow. Nope, LeAnne Rymes (someone mentioned that she cancelled).

The one in Milford closed last year. There's one on Winto Road; in fact we're taking Little Team Griffey there tomorrow to get his birthday gift.

There's one or two in Kentucky too.

Red Leader
08-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Somebody was there just recently, or is going to be there really soon... I'm thinking Cheryl Crow.

Sheryl Crowe and John Mayer are playing at Riverbend in Sept. My wife wants me to get her tickets to that. :bang:

Haven't heard of any "big acts" going to Timberwolf in years.

Last concert I saw there was the Beach Boys.

chicoruiz
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Was it Skipper Ryle who did that "Bowling For Dollars" show?

Indeed it was. During my tenure at WKRC I worked on both "Bowling For Dollars" and the Bob Shreve show, "Past Prime Playhouse". Both Glenn and Bob were good guys. Bob used to bring a six-pack of Busch to the studio every Saturday night and drink it during the movie segments. I remember thinking, "You have to respect a man who does live ad-lib TV every week with six beers in him".

Has anyone mentioned the hippest radio station ever, WNOP, AM 740, "Radio Free Newport"? Back in the early '70s I learned a lot of obscure jazz from Leo Underhill and his cohorts.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Hader hardware is still around, though a few have closed.

Alber's Grocery. Family connection there. Do you know Scott Albers?

Main Street - a revival defeated. It's still there, and still hopping. Lot's of good restaurants and clubs.

Inn the Wood. I think it still exists, but once it moved out of the old place and into the bigger building it went down hill. Best hangover cure in the world, the Peterson Special. It no longer exists, but I don't think it went downhill one iota. Good food, reasonably priced. Bill and Diane fought hard but were forced to sell in the longrun because of UC expansion/renovation. Best breakfast in town!

TRF
08-22-2006, 03:13 PM
How come nobody waxes poetic about Lower Price Hill?

8th and State? White trash capital of the midwest. good times. I went to three schools in three years: Applied Arts Academy, Walnut Hills, then Porter Jr. High.

It's a wonder I'm still alive.

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
I heard the owner wanted to sell, but hadn't heard about a buyer being found. It would be cool if they stayed in business. Is the Highland still in business? Now that place was a coffee house. If you could get a wait person to put down their smoke to get you a cup of coffee you were lucky. But once you did, they'd fill that thing up all night.

The Highland is still open. I still stop in on occasion.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 03:20 PM
There is still at least one drive-in theater... I think two.

And remember 97X? Bam, the future of rock and roll. Great radio station out of Miami University in Oxford. Loved it and now it's gone.

Anybody remember the previous name of Cincinnati State?

The Cyclones! Gone, but back this year. I can't wait. I never went to see the Ducks. From what I understand, the team before the Cyclones was really loved as well. Before my time though.

There was also an arena football team... can't remember what they were called.

5th and Vine... the bar in the Weston. I'll miss that place too.

minus5
08-22-2006, 03:22 PM
How about LeSourdesville Lake or Americana Amusement Park in Middletown?

RosieRed
08-22-2006, 03:23 PM

A couple weeks ago I was on Red Bank Road trying to find the new building for the BMV there ... and I drove past a building that still had a Swallen's sign attached to it. Some of the letters were broken, but I couldn't believe the sign was still there.

My mom worked at Swallens in Tri-County when I was a wee one.

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 03:26 PM

And remember 97X? Bam, the future of rock and roll. Great radio station out of Miami University in Oxford. Loved it and now it's gone.

The Cyclones! Gone, but back this year. I can't wait. I never went to see the Ducks. From what I understand, the team before the Cyclones was really loved as well. Before my time though.

97X still broadcasts online only at www.woxy.com

Why can't I remember the former name of Cincinnati State?

There were the Stingers in Cincinnati. That's been a while. There was another team if I remember correctly.

RosieRed
08-22-2006, 03:29 PM

I miss that station.

It's still online ... http://www.woxy.com/ ... but is now subscription-only.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 03:33 PM
There were the Stingers in Cincinnati. That's been a while. There was another team if I remember correctly.

I had Season Tickets.

The Cardinals owner owned them.

Other teams playing hockey prior to the Stingers

Mohawks
Tigers
Swords.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
How about LeSourdesville Lake or Americana Amusement Park in Middletown?
Ugh... ghetto-fabulous remembrances of my youth.

And remember 97X?
As someone already said, WOXY is online only now. And there's a really awful station broadcasting on 97.7 now.

Cincinnati State used to be CTC, didn't it?

westofyou
08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Cincinnati State used to be CTC, didn't it?

Yep, my buddy went there.. before that it was Courter Tech, where Dave Parker went to school.

Hoosier Red
08-22-2006, 03:45 PM

The football team was the Rockers, Ted Gregory owned them.
And I thought Cincinnati State used to be Cincinnati Technical College

minus5
08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Schoenling, Top Hat, Burger, Hudepohl 14k...:beerme:

vaticanplum
08-22-2006, 03:53 PM
I can't believe I forgot about the Lunken Playfield. Man, that was a cool setup. They had the jet, the train cars, a firetruck maybe? Long since gone. It's been replaced by a stock plastic playground.

The El Rancho Rankin has been mentioned several times already. I haven't seen anyone mention the El Rancho Cadillac that had the statue of Santa Claus on the horse on top of it. When I was a teenager, the Chinese place in the parking lot of El Rancho Rankin had a cocktail lounge. They would serve anyone. Needless to say, it was a favorite amongst the Turpin/Anderson/Mt. Washington teens in the know. Well......just those brave enough to hang out in a dump like that.

I don't know how old you are but it's possible we ran into each other there, and that is freaking me out. That santa-on-horse-on-car action was a landmark. In all honesty, most places in the general Anderson/Mt. Washington vicinity never carded, at least then...I certainly did not look 21 before I was. Or after, even.

The Lunken playground is still there I think, along with the picnic grounds around it. Then not too far from that is the soft-serve ice cream stand in Newtown...is that still there? Also close to the Newtown feed and grain whatever store, which I don't think is still there.

I don't know what you all are talking about with those lame Johnny's birthday presents; that Zoom spaceman record was the shizznit. I'm sorry to hear it closed -- those colored letters were always a nice sight on that lame road. That little strip mall also had a shoe store, which I think was called Duane's? Or maybe Duane was just the name of the nice man who ran it. My mother took me there every year for my school shoes, because it was the only place in town that had navy-and-beige saddles shoes (hello apple, meet tree) -- "soap and saddle" those shoes are called. The other place she took me for shoes was a children's shoe store in Montgomery, which was quite a trek back then. I can't remember the name of it but I know that's not there anymore. And of course there was also Stride-Rite and Capezio.

Whatever happened to the antique mall on Kellogg? I know they were renovating/possibly closing it a few years ago and I don't know what happened. There were some great records there if you were willing to dig, and best of all the insane rad lady who had the clothing section in the back. That's were I got my Mr. Red sweater, among other things. OH and the best thrift store in town is also gone, Valley Thrift on Montgomery Road a few miles away from Everybody's. That place was awesome beyond all embarrassment. I got my amazing polyester prom dress there for a dollar fifty (wore it again to a wedding just a few months ago, and received many kudos).

Is the Northland ice rink still there or did it go by the wayside when the super mega ice rink on Reading Road was built?

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Holiday Auto Theatre on the west side of Hamilton is still in business.

flyer85
08-22-2006, 04:01 PM
I remember thinking, "You have to respect a man who does live ad-lib TV every week with six beers in him".I think it was the beers that allowed him to do the ad-lib. The movies were simply a break to see what Bob might do next. I remember his nose would get more red as the night wore on.

flyer85
08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
How about LeSourdesville Lake or Americana Amusement Park in Middletown?closed for good.

I liked the 'Screechin Eagle" roller coaster and the Indy 500 ride.

Heath
08-22-2006, 04:06 PM
my brain hurts from all this - but I remember (and for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the store) a Grocery store in Milford where 28 & 50 intersect near the old Frisch's there. That grocery store was different because you had to pick up a black marking crayon and label your own prices. You even got a discount of you brought your own bags.

I also remember riding around I-275, only to have it stop at the 32/Batavia exit.

Yes, I remember the Suds softball team. Leo Cardenas played short-stop and was a power-hitter. Channel 19 used to broadcast their games now and then.

Tony Sands was a weatherman. He used to draw his own weather-maps. I think Channel 5 was one of the first stations to use a weather radar.

We lived just north and east of Cincinnati. We could get Dayton and Cincinnati stations on our 19 inch B&W RCA. It even had electric tuning! For many years I trusted the Reds wore Red.

The Albers grocery store thing was wierd. My mom worked for them one day, came home and said that the store had sold. Next week, they closed and she went to work for Kroger.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Schoenling, Top Hat, Burger, Hudepohl 14k...:beerme:
Back in HS we would go down to the Schoeling plant on friday and get a Keg.. if we were lucky we'd get 6%.

minus5
08-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Back in HS we would go down to the Schoeling plant on friday and get a Keg.. if we were lucky we'd get 6%.

Being in NKY we always had to go across the river to the poney keg to get our 3.2 beer....and like you said, if we were lucky, 6%

flyer85
08-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Back in HS we would go down to the Schoeling plant on friday and get a Keg.. if we were lucky we'd get 6%.3.2 beer :laugh:

minus5
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Tony Sands was a weatherman. He used to draw his own weather-maps. I think Channel 5 was one of the first stations to use a weather radar.

My favorite memory of Tony Sands was him telling everyone in '77 that the snow storm was going to miss us...that all the other stations were wrong

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't know how old you are but it's possible we ran into each other there, and that is freaking me out. That santa-on-horse-on-car action was a landmark. In all honesty, most places in the general Anderson/Mt. Washington vicinity never carded, at least then...I certainly did not look 21 before I was. Or after, even.

The Lunken playground is still there I think, along with the picnic grounds around it. Then not too far from that is the soft-serve ice cream stand in Newtown...is that still there? Also close to the Newtown feed and grain whatever store, which I don't think is still there.

I don't know what you all are talking about with those lame Johnny's birthday presents; that Zoom spaceman record was the shizznit. I'm sorry to hear it closed -- those colored letters were always a nice sight on that lame road. That little strip mall also had a shoe store, which I think was called Duane's? Or maybe Duane was just the name of the nice man who ran it. My mother took me there every year for my school shoes, because it was the only place in town that had navy-and-beige saddles shoes (hello apple, meet tree) -- "soap and saddle" those shoes are called. The other place she took me for shoes was a children's shoe store in Montgomery, which was quite a trek back then. I can't remember the name of it but I know that's not there anymore. And of course there was also Stride-Rite and Capezio.

Whatever happened to the antique mall on Kellogg? I know they were renovating/possibly closing it a few years ago and I don't know what happened. There were some great records there if you were willing to dig, and best of all the insane rad lady who had the clothing section in the back. That's were I got my Mr. Red sweater, among other things. OH and the best thrift store in town is also gone, Valley Thrift on Montgomery Road a few miles away from Everybody's. That place was awesome beyond all embarrassment. I got my amazing polyester prom dress there for a dollar fifty (wore it again to a wedding just a few months ago, and received many kudos).

Is the Northland ice rink still there or did it go by the wayside when the super mega ice rink on Reading Road was built?

Frightening to see that someone else would actually admit to hanging out at that dumpy cocktail lounge. Yikes.

I believe you are thinking of Village Thrift in Norwood. It was on Montgomery. It was closed down to make way for a Walgreens. Valley Thrift still exists. That one is in Reading.

The antique mall on Kellogg was Ferguson's. I know they moved from the Kellogg location to the west side. Not sure if they are still around though.

Just as a side note, the Savlation Army in Norwood is an awesome place to find good, vintage/antique furniture. It's hit and miss, but I've found some incredible pieces there.

Oh....and the ice cream place in Newtown is still there.

Heath
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
My favorie memory of Tony Sands was him telling everyone in '77 that the snow storm was going to miss us...that all the other stations were wrong

I think it was '75 around the All-Star break and it was Fireworks Night at Riverfront. It was raining and my Dad and my mom and friends were at the game and it just rained and rained and rained. About every fifteen minutes, the scoreboard would bring up Tony Sands' weather update saying the rain would be quitting in about 5 -10 minutes.

2 hours later - they got the game started - it was over in a little under 2 hours. They made an announcement that you had 10 minutes to get to the plaza level for fireworks. They shot the first one up....and then the rest.

Tony Sands and weather forecasting was never his strong suit.

vaticanplum
08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Frightening to see that someone else would actually admit to hanging out at that dumpy cocktail lounge. Yikes.

I believe you are thinking of Village Thrift in Norwood. It was on Montgomery. It was closed down to make way for a Walgreens. Valley Thrift still exists. That one is in Reading.

You're right. I stand corrected. Where is the Norwood Salvation army?

As for the "cocktail lounge"...I was what, maybe 17, I had a 20-year-old boyfriend who was, clearly, the coolest dude in all the land. I thought I was awesome; I thought the place was awesome. Things got even better when he started letting me tag along to gamble on the boats :laugh: I did not, nor do I, have any interest in gambling. But I enjoyed the dive bars in the rough wilds of Anderson Township.

wolfboy
08-22-2006, 04:46 PM
You're right. I stand corrected. Where is the Norwood Salvation army?

As for the "cocktail lounge"...I was what, maybe 17, I had a 20-year-old boyfriend who was, clearly, the coolest dude in all the land. I thought I was awesome; I thought the place was awesome. Things got even better when he started letting me tag along to gamble on the boats :laugh: I did not, nor do I, have any interest in gambling. But I enjoyed the dive bars in the rough wilds of Anderson Township.

The Norwood Salvation Army is on Park Ave. It is about three blocks from where Village Thrift was.

btw.....next time you are in town, try casablanca and avant garage in Northside. Great vintage clothes shopping.

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 05:02 PM
HDo you know Scott Albers?

Nope. What's his connection to Albers' Grocery?

SunDeck
08-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Tony Sands! Man, that brings back memories.
How about "Jacket" Moran?

vaticanplum
08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
I also remember riding around I-275, only to have it stop at the 32/Batavia exit.

Wait, it ended there? Aren't all 200 highways circles? Or was it just not finished yet?

redsmetz
08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
How about Coney Chef restaurants? They were walk ups like McDonalds used to be (anyone remember the one in Kenwood on Montgomery when it was a walk up, then they built an enclosed area, thent hey built a dine in spot). The Coney Chef restaurants were in Finneytown (where the Wendy's is on Galbraith) and in Deer Park on Plainfield Rd. (or Pike as we called it back then) right by Deer Park High School

I think there are some still around, but Pasquale's Pizza. We got cheese pizzas from them on many a Friday when Catholics weren't permitted to eat meat on ANY Friday.

Someone mentioned Ontario's, but many of those stores were Arlens (or Arlins) Stores before that. They were also Twin Fair, Zayres, Meijers (before they pulled out to concentrate on the super grocery stores) and one more name I'm missing.

I remember Shillitos in Kenwood having a great record department in the basement. Bought an unknown band named Chicago Transit Authority there because I thought they sounded like Iron Butterfly. And it was a two record set at a special low price. They dropped the last two words in a dispute with the actual CTA, but that album still ranks as a great rock album much to the surprise of folks who think of Chicago as a pop group.

Sight N Sound stores? I bought my first stereo system from them, Pioneer.

Woolworth's lunch counters were still around when I was a kid (60's). And Gray Drug Stores, bought out by Super X, another lost name.

And it took forever to find a store as good as Gold Circle stores. I never could figure out how Federated failed with that chain. I think Target is the only store that is similar to Gold Circle.

redsmetz
08-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Wait, it ended there? Aren't all 200 highways circles? Or was it just not finished yet?

I think it was not finished. I remember when I-71 ended at Montgomery Road in Kenwood, then was completed to Red Bank Road, then finally all the way downtown, not to mention the Norwood Lateral opening.

I remember Cross County Highway being built back behind Moeller High School and running only to Galbraith Road in Reading. Then it had this other part out in Colerain. Nothing in the middle. I liked to say it was apt to name such a highway after Reagan, then it came out he had alzheimers and you couldn't say that joke because it would just be mean.

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 05:33 PM
This brings back a few memories. I grew up in Georgetown but went to high school in Cincinnati, (McNick) so I have quite a few from the east side and then from way out east. Someone mentioned the Log Cabin restaurant in Mt. Orab. We went there a lot when I was small, along with the Lake drive in which was not far from there. I saw many a movie at that drive in. I think it was hit by a tornado a few years back.

El Rancho Rankin was a classic and seems to have left a lasting impression on many, but I can't say that it's something I would miss. Things I do miss are Scully's downtown, the Stingers, Riverfront (or at least some of the baseball that was played there) and all of the places that were displaced by Paul Brown Stadium.

Yes, I do remember when 275 was completed and when 471 was built as well. What year was that? Also, what was the name of the traffic helicopter lady who was killed when her aircraft crashed?

chicoruiz
08-22-2006, 05:43 PM
If it ahsn't been mentioned already, the short-lived hockey team prior to the Stingers was the Cincinnati Swords. A farm team of the Sabres, get it?

Yachtzee
08-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Aside from being born at Ft. Hood, TX, the farthest south I've ever lived is Tipp City, so my memories of Cincinnati proper are limited, but here goes.

Visiting my great-grandmother, who IIRC lived on Beacon St. in Mt. Washington. She always had a full bowl of mints on her coffee table. Every year for her birthday, we would take her to a restaurant that was owned by Stouffers (the frozen food company). They used own really nice restaurants across the country. My dad could treat everyone because he was a corporate auditor for Stouffers and had an "allowance."

Cincinnati and NKY beer that I used to drink with my grandpa...Oldenburg, Hudepohl 14K (Get Moody with Hudy!), Little Kings, Burger, Wiedemans (still around, amazingly, but no longer brewed there), Christian Moerlein (also still around).

Visiting my cousins in Fairfield and going to Joe Nuxhall's batting cages (are they still around)?

I still associate Burger Chef with my days in Western Ohio. You could go there to get your Star Wars posters and Cincinnati Reds promotional stuff.

Going to Kings Island and finding "The Bat" always closed for repairs. Do they still have "The Racer?"

dsmith421
08-22-2006, 05:51 PM
I remember when Moeller used to play its football games at a proper field, instead of some dump in Lockland where I once saw a crack deal consumnated during a track meet.

Seriously, with the amount of money running through that joint they can't at least get a groundshare with Mason or something? This current setup is awful, no home field advantage at all, no parking available, hardly any seats, and just a complete 180 from the classy image the school attempts to cultivate.

Yachtzee
08-22-2006, 05:52 PM
This brings back a few memories. I grew up in Georgetown but went to high school in Cincinnati, (McNick) so I have quite a few from the east side and then from way out east.

My aunt has been a long-time teacher at McNick.

TeamCasey
08-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Do they still have "The Racer?"

The neck wrecker is still there. :)

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 06:09 PM
My aunt has been a long-time teacher at McNick.

Are you going to divulge her identity or keep me in suspense?

westofyou
08-22-2006, 06:13 PM
I still associate Burger Chef with my days in Western Ohio. You could go there to get your Star Wars posters and Cincinnati Reds promotional stuff.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/chef.gif

Yachtzee
08-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Are you going to divulge her identity or keep me in suspense?

Carol Bernhardt...Taught home ec. for many years. Now I think she teaches the computer courses.

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Carol Bernhardt...Taught home ec. for many years. Now I think she teaches the computer courses.

I wasn't in any of her classes, but I remember her. I was there in the mid 80s.

redsmetz
08-22-2006, 06:20 PM
I remember when Moeller used to play its football games at a proper field, instead of some dump in Lockland where I once saw a crack deal consumnated during a track meet.

Seriously, with the amount of money running through that joint they can't at least get a groundshare with Mason or something? This current setup is awful, no home field advantage at all, no parking available, hardly any seats, and just a complete 180 from the classy image the school attempts to cultivate.

Before I was in high school, Moeller played their games at either Deer Park Stadium and/or Sycamore Stadium (right there by cross county).

pedro
08-22-2006, 06:22 PM
I wasn't in any of her classes, but I remember her. I was there in the mid 80s.

you know Tommy Bodenstein?

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 06:23 PM
you know Tommy Bodenstein?

Name rings a bell, but that's about it.

pedro
08-22-2006, 06:24 PM

graduated mcnick in 86. I went to college with him at OU.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Loud.. Loud Guy... probably played baseball.

Falls City Beer
08-22-2006, 06:26 PM
There was a record store on the Kentucky side called Record Alley that I'm pretty sure went out of business several years ago.

This thread is really, really, really instructive of the retail diversity that WalMart's killed. It's like the world has come full circle and we're all shopping at the tenant farmer's commissary known as WalMart.

(Though I don't have to, thank god, because I live in a city :thumbup: )

westofyou
08-22-2006, 06:36 PM
(Though I don't have to, thank god, because I live in a city )

Yep, it's not the same thing going thru the CD's at super retail giant as it was going through the bins at Moes? ... next to the Cupboard.. down the street from Fibber McGees and across the street from Nickle Nicks and Dollar Bills Saloon.

minus5
08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
There was a record store on the Kentucky side called Record Alley that I'm pretty sure went out of business several years ago.

Wasn't that on Dixie Highway in Erlanger?

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Loud.. Loud Guy... probably played baseball.

That hint helped. He graduated a year ahead of me.

pedro
08-22-2006, 06:57 PM
That hint helped. He graduated a year ahead of me.

Loud is a nice way to put it. We used to introduce him like this "This is Tommy. He's an *** hole" :)

Good guy though.

Ltlabner
08-22-2006, 07:22 PM
This thread is really, really, really instructive of the retail diversity that WalMart's killed. It's like the world has come full circle and we're all shopping at the tenant farmer's commissary known as WalMart.

Yes, because no "mom & pop" stores ever went out of business before WalMart came to town. :rolleyes:

LawFive
08-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Holy crap!!!!

They had a grocery store on the other side at the one on Ohio Pike in Amelia.

Ah, yes. Sacks Food Avenue.

:thumbup:

Falls City Beer
08-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Yes, because no "mom & pop" stores ever went out of business before WalMart came to town. :rolleyes:

Not at this rate. :)

Falls City Beer
08-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Wasn't that on Dixie Highway in Erlanger?

Not sure. The one I went to a few times was in Ft. Wright.

LawFive
08-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Holiday Auto Theatre on the west side of Hamilton is still in business.

Starlite is still open too, east of Amelia.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 09:53 PM
That grocery store was different because you had to pick up a black marking crayon and label your own prices. You even got a discount of you brought your own bags.

This is the one I mentioned earlier: Fazio's. It was basically a warehouse and you did everything yourself, including carry that little black crayon around.

OldRightHander- I went to the Lake Drive-In, my grandmother loved the peanut butter pie at Lake manor restaurant, and a little girl from Georgetown still has my heart, though she has no idea. This all would have been around the same time you were there, from what it sounds like.

To all you McKnick grads from around this time do these nicknames mean anything to you: "R" and "G".

reds1869
08-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Heard on the radio today that Christian Moerlein is ramping up production of Hudy Delight and we should see it on local store shelves regularly within the next month or so. That will get some people excited for sure! The only place I know of to find it right now is Jungle Jim's.

LawFive
08-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Burger Chef
Roy Rogers (still one left in Mt Carmel).
Mr Gatti's (used to get to make our own personal pizzas at soccer team parties)
Rax
Ira Joe Fisher
Cincinnati Rockers
The Aicholtz farm (where the Eastgate Bigg's and restaurant row are now)
Glen Este Auto Parts (now a UDF at Old 74 and Glen Este-Withamsville)
Covered Bridge near Owensville (still there but closed to traffic)
Howl at the Moon
Central Hardware
McAlpins
Rikes
CAPE
The Bell Game (Glen Este vs Amelia)

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 10:10 PM
The Aicholtz farm (where the Eastgate Bigg's and restaurant row are now)

There were also those baseball fields over where Dick's is now. I played a lot of ball on those fields, some great games of tennis ball home run derby on some of the small fields.

LawFive
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
New York Steakhouse. Used to be in Eastgate Mall across from Baskin Robbins. I remember they had huge steak fries that I loved as a little kid.

Turnstiles at the entrance to Walgreen's.

Alladin's Castle arcade. Many a quarter were spent there playing Joe Montana Football.

McGuire Fields, also known to some as W-G field - baseball, football, soccer.

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 10:24 PM
New York Steakhouse. Used to be in Eastgate Mall across from Baskin Robbins. I remember they had huge steak fries that I loved as a little kid.

I think the name was York Steakhouse, had something of an old English theme about the place. Wasn't the Orange Julius place near there as well?

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
LawFive, you and I probably know a ton of the same people.

I blieve it was York Steak House, and it was right next to Aladdin's Castle but I think it was across form Friendly's and not Baskins.

I spent hours of my time there. I played Wizard of Wor until my fingers turned blue. There was also an arcade on Beechmont Avenue that was just east of the rollerink...I wanna say Dave's Arcade or something like that.

Aicholtz field- played there a bunch in little league- teams like Willowville, WT, Mt. Carmel- Max Hamilton had a fast ball at 8 years old like nobody's business.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Orange Julius was on the other wing of the mall right next to Gold Star Chili and Walgreen's.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 10:27 PM
OldRightHander- did those nicknames mean anything to you?

There were two kids that went to McNick that had the exact same names, so they were known only by the initials of their middle names: R and G.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2006, 10:29 PM
The Bell Game. That was my life, except that I went to Amelia for a stretch and we always got killed.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-22-2006, 10:43 PM
This brings back a few memories. I grew up in Georgetown but went to high school in Cincinnati, (McNick) so I have quite a few from the east side and then from way out east. Someone mentioned the Log Cabin restaurant in Mt. Orab. We went there a lot when I was small, along with the Lake drive in which was not far from there. I saw many a movie at that drive in. I think it was hit by a tornado a few years back.

El Rancho Rankin was a classic and seems to have left a lasting impression on many, but I can't say that it's something I would miss. Things I do miss are Scully's downtown, the Stingers, Riverfront (or at least some of the baseball that was played there) and all of the places that were displaced by Paul Brown Stadium.

Yes, I do remember when 275 was completed and when 471 was built as well. What year was that? Also, what was the name of the traffic helicopter lady who was killed when her aircraft crashed?

Nancy Mccormick

Hoosier Red
08-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Before I was in high school, Moeller played their games at either Deer Park Stadium and/or Sycamore Stadium (right there by cross county).

I haven't understood the Lockland stadium at all. I can name 5 high schools off the top of my head that would be a better fit.
Mason
Sycamore
Kings
Indian Hill
Deer Park
Heck even Mariemont has a nice stadium.

Why Lockland?

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Nope. What's his connection to Albers' Grocery?

Probably none. I just know him and his last name is Albers.

westofyou
08-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Heck even Mariemont has a nice stadium.

Doc Kusel Stadium is damn nice...

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 11:03 PM

(Though I don't have to, thank god, because I live in a city :thumbup: )

Except when I go to NY, I don't think I've shopped in a Wal-Mart in about 5 years.

Falls City Beer
08-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Except when I go to NY, I don't think I've shopped in a Wal-Mart in about 5 years.

Never shopped in one.

But when you go to NYC or NY state you go there? :confused: I'm not sure I understand?

cincinnati chili
08-23-2006, 01:08 AM
"Everybody Wants You" Billy Squier for 24 hours! :eek:

I remember that.

And the frog in the blender.

TeamCasey
08-23-2006, 05:53 AM
Maisonnette

Highlifeman21
08-23-2006, 06:51 AM
I think the name was York Steakhouse, had something of an old English theme about the place. Wasn't the Orange Julius place near there as well?

There was a York Steakhouse in Tri County mall as well.

Remember when The Golf Center at Kings Island had Jack Nicklaus in the name, AND held both Women's and Men's Pro events there, AND had 27 holes?

Ah, another Pre-Lindner fond memory.

dabvu2498
08-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Why Lockland?
IIRC, Lockland let them spend a bunch of money there to fix the place up and make it more Moeller than Lockland.

Ltlabner
08-23-2006, 08:13 AM
I haven't read this entire thread so this might be a repeat.

El Rancho Rankin Hotel.

A quality establishment.

TeamCasey
08-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Never shopped in one.

But when you go to NYC or NY state you go there? :confused: I'm not sure I understand?

It's a small town in upstate NY that we go to. It only has a Walmart as far as department stores. It used to have a Jamesway and an Ames, but they went out of business. This is up near where we camp.

remdog
08-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Interesting thread: how about....

Ollie's Trolly. Hamburger chain out of L'villle that had a number of places around town that were faux trollies. You walked up and ordered your burger. Thick and juicy but the hook for me was that whatever they were seasoning their burgers with was a great combination and I really loved the taste.

Walt's Hitching Post over in KY off of Buttermilk Pike. Had their 'smoker' outside in the parking lot. IMO, far better ribs than anything that Montgomery Inn ever put out. Also had the allure that there was always supposed to be an illicit poker game going on in the 'backroom'. The owner was a former jockey that had supposedly won the place in a poker game (fun story anyway :) ) Seems to me that he pulled a gun from under the bar late one night and shot a guy trying to rob him. I met him a number of times and that would seem to be about right. Is that still there?

Roy Rogers on the skywalk. Is the skywalk even still around?

I used to live in Mt. Adams. Two names spring to mind: City View Tavern (on Baum St., I think). Dumpy bar but great view of DT and an eclectic clientel. Also, Pia's Groceries. A little neighborhood grocery store run by Pia who was probably in her 80's and still had her Italian accent. Had great meats and cheeses and would make you a terrific sandwich to eat in or take out.

InCahoots up in Cliffton. One of the owners had been in the Marine Corp with me. Was a sort of a butthead but the food was good.

Is The Echo on Hyde Park Square still around? I used to eat breakfast there a lot.

Emanon in Cliffton and The Blue Note in O'Brianville for good jazz.

Carpet Barn and/or Cash Ambergy? Tag line of their commercials was something like, "I don't care about makin' money! I just love to sell carpet!"

Is Security Amerkanian still around? Used to work for them.

I worked out in Marriemont, at Marriemount Center Office Complex. The Frishes Mainliner was across the street. In our parking lot was a branch of Southern Ohio Bank (SOB was not a good acronym for a bank :laugh: ). I think they went under when the President of the bank ran into some legal problems. I also used to bank at Marriemont Savings and Loan on Marriemont Square. At that time Cincinnati had a lot of one-branch S & L's that had been formed by German immigents banding together. I immagine they are mostly gone now.

I used to be a volunteer with 'Up Downtown' which was a group that supported the Downtown Council of the Chamber of Commerce to bring more activitis to DT Cincinnati. (About 200 people, 70% of which were women which is nice when you're a single guy and 30 ;) ) I worked on the first year of the Oktoberfest, the Pub Crawl for the Opera Association, the Mardi Gra celebration and other things like that. One year we helped sponsor a bike race through the streets of Cincinnati. I had the dubious distinction of being the PA announcer for the race, camped on the plaza of old Riverfront Stadium in the middle of a thunderstorm. Not a comfortable feeling. :laugh:

Tri-County Tennis Club in Sharronville? Is that still around? They made a brief run at bringing Pro Tennis to the Cincinnati area in the 70's with a women's tourney but that failed after a couple of years.

Speaking of tennis, I worked on the Kid's Day Committee of the old Western Tennis Tournament when it was a clay court tourney played at Coney Island. On Tuesday of the tourney parent could bring their kids and, for half-price, see either the morning or evening session of the tournament and get free admission to Coney Island for the other half of the day.

I played most of my tennis at Devou Park over in KY. They were public 'pay to play' courts but for $50.00 you could play for the whole year. A great deal and I spent many, many days there. You could play both clay and hardcourts there, which is a rareity out here in California.

Rem

minus5
08-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Interesting thread: how about....

Walt's Hitching Post over in KY off of Buttermilk Pike. Had their 'smoker' outside in the parking lot. IMO, far better ribs than anything that Montgomery Inn ever put out. Also had the allure that there was always supposed to be an illicit poker game going on in the 'backroom'. The owner was a former jockey that had supposedly won the place in a poker game (fun story anyway :) ) Seems to me that he pulled a gun from under the bar late one night and shot a guy trying to rob him. I met him a number of times and that would seem to be about right. Is that still there?

Carpet Barn and/or Cash Ambergy? Tag line of their commercials was something like, "I don't care about makin' money! I just love to sell carpet!"

Rem

Walt's is still there. Never cared for their ribs though. I know a lot of people that do.

It was Harry of Harry's Carpet that didn't care about making money but loved to sell carpet and Cash Ambergy the Old Country Boy wanted you to follow the arrows, follow the cars to Cash's Big Bargain Barn where you save cash with Cash.

dabvu2498
08-23-2006, 09:12 AM

Tri-County Tennis Club in Sharronville? Is that still around? They made a brief run at bringing Pro Tennis to the Cincinnati area in the 70's with a women's tourney but that failed after a couple of years.

Walt's is still there. They had a fire a few years back, but rebuilt. Not sure if they're on the same site or not. My dad and one of his buddies took me there one night after a game and who else was there? None other than Harry Spilman and Nolan Ryan. I still have a signed menu.

Tri-County Tennis Club is also still there.

minus5
08-23-2006, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=dabvu2498]Walt's is still there. They had a fire a few years back, but rebuilt. Not sure if they're on the same site or not. My dad and one of his buddies took me there one night after a game and who else was there? None other than Harry Spilman and Nolan Ryan. I still have a signed menu.
QUOTE]

Still the same spot it always was.

LawFive
08-23-2006, 09:27 AM
anyone mention Home State Savings yet?

dabvu2498
08-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Still the same spot it always was.
But they did have a fire and had to rebuild, or was I dreaming that?

minus5
08-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I think they did have a fire, but I don't think they had to totally rebuild.

Ahh, I just looked it up. They had a fire in an attached dining room in 1995 and rebuilt that room. The place looks the same as it ever did from the outside.