PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's Starter

thatcoolguy_22
08-22-2006, 01:30 PM
who is it going to be with Michalak more than likely not going to be there due to the death of his 102 year old grandmother... Any ideas. I'm thinking more than likely it will be Ryan Franklin due to his past steroids experience errr I mean starting...

flyer85
08-22-2006, 01:39 PM
as of now it is to be Michalak

justincredible
08-22-2006, 01:57 PM
I'd like to see Franklin get the start over Michalak. Michalak was great for us in his first appearance and would not have won the game without him more than likely. While I am very grateful for that performance I really don't think he can replicate it. Franklin has been pretty good with us so far minus the blown save last week and has had success in the past.

membengal
08-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Oddly enough, against the lefty heavy Astros, with Berkman's weaker side being from the right, Michalek might not be a bad choice against them, if he is able to get back.

Newman4
08-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Homer. :)

oregonred
08-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Go for a sellout and buzz (and hopefully a sweep) before a long road trip, bring up Homer for one start and announce it the morning of the game.

ol'Sparky
08-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Homer. :)

:thumbup:

gilpdawg
08-22-2006, 03:20 PM
:thumbup:
Are you guys forgetting what happens to young pitchers who aren't ready in the heat of a pennant race, or playoff situation? Remember this guy?
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7247/bjankrjer01zf7.gif

ol'Sparky
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Are you guys forgetting what happens to young pitchers who aren't ready in the heat of a pennant race, or playoff situation? Remember this guy?

oh yeah ..... great hitter ..... and he could throw a ball of the backstop better'n Rich Yett.

dabvu2498
08-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I also remember this guy:
http://www.latino-mlb-players.com/images/Francisco%20Rodriguez/a_rodriguez.jpg

Razor Shines
08-22-2006, 04:08 PM
I would have no problem bringing Homer up if he had command of his fastball and had a decent curve, no matter how old he was. But from all accounts of those who know he doesn't have those things. So I agree he's not ready.

I'd rather not run Michalak out there again either. Like others I'm glad he did a great job his first outing in Philly, but a low 80s fastball makes it really hard to get guys out consistently in the bigs, IMHO. But since Franklin pitched last night I doubt they plan on using him. So I guess we're trying to get the first two games of the series and then just king of hoping we tee off on Wednesday.

flyer85
08-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I would have no problem bringing Homer up if he had command of his fastball and had a decent curve, no matter how old he was. But from all accounts of those who know he doesn't have those things.I have seen him, he can command his fastball and the numbers certainly back it up. His curve is inconsistent but then again that is true of most guys who pitch in the majors. They are very few who consistently command a curveball like Arroyo does.

The issue is not is he ready(or be effective). The issue is the Reds don't want to pitch many more innings. Can you imagine if he came up and pitched well for two starts and then the Reds shut him down for the season.

I'd really like to have Germano back.

Razor Shines
08-22-2006, 04:21 PM
I have seen him, he can command his fastball and the numbers certainly back it up. His curve is inconsistent but then again that is true of most guys who pitch in the majors. They are very few who consistently command a curveball like Arroyo does.

The issue is not is he ready(or be effective). The issue is the Reds don't want to pitch many more innings. Can you imagine if he came up and pitched well for two starts and then the Reds shut him down for the season.

I'd really like to have Germano back.
I haven't seen him, I've just read that he has control but not command of his fastball. I also read that he has mechanical problems with his curve. Like I said I've never seen him, it's just that some have said that he wouldn't be effective at the ML level. But you know more than I so I won't argue with you.

I do agree with you about the number of innings, that's just another reason to shut him down for the year when he's done in AA.

oneupper
08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Oddly enough, against the lefty heavy Astros, with Berkman's weaker side being from the right, Michalek might not be a bad choice against them, if he is able to get back.

I thought that also, but

Astros

vs. LHP .780 OPS
vs. RHP .728 OPS

While Berkman isn't as good vs lefties, others such as Burke, Biggio, Lane Ensberg and Ausmus split better against southpaws.

Preston Wilson isn't there anymore (not that he was much help .795 OPS vs. LHP).

I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

BuckWoody
08-22-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm going to head down early tomorrow and see if Narron can use me. My heater tops out at around 60 mph but I've got a nasty 40 mph change to go with it that breaks down sharply. That should keep them off balance through 5 or so, then it's up to the pen.

I've got a wicked knuckler too but it doesn't go much past 30 feet...that probably won't be effective.

Wish me luck! ;)