PDA

View Full Version : I have a dilemna

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 06:14 PM
I have a little dilemna. I came home today and there in the mailbox was a summons to jury duty, starting September 18. Since I am an independent contractor and no longer an employee of anyone, if I take those days off to go sit at the courthouse, I won't be making money. The company I am contracted to doesn't pay independent drivers anything for jury duty like they do their actual employees. That's where you all come in. I'm going to call the county tomorrow and plead my case, but if anyone else has any creative ideas for getting out of jury duty, I'm open to suggestions.

justincredible
08-22-2006, 06:40 PM
That's a toughie. I got the jury summons once but got out of it because I was going to school 100 miles away from home.

BuckWoody
08-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Tell them your situation and they'll let you out. I had a very similar circumstance a few years ago. I was a contractor and did not get paid unless I was physically at work...no jury duty pay. I wrote a letter to the court explaining things and enclosed a letter from my employer at the time stating that I would not receive pay. I was released from duty.

oneupper
08-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Become an illegal alien. :D

i_heart_jason
08-23-2006, 09:48 AM
develop a tic. :)

BoydsOfSummer
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Tell them you believe everybody in prison should be executed,no matter the crime. That should do it.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-23-2006, 01:19 PM
i told em we had a family reunion planned in tennessee that had been planned for months

dabvu2498
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Tell them you believe everybody in prison should be executed,no matter the crime. That should do it.
I actually saw one similar to that. It would be inappropriate to tell it here. PM me and I'll put it on you.

guttle11
08-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Just say, "He looks guilty" over and over.

That, or never vote again.

SunDeck
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
A family reunion...and that worked?
I wouldn't bet on that if I were you. You have a legitimate reason to be excused, so work it. Just make sure you make it easy for them. Don't tell them over the phone or anything less formal than a typed letter, stating that you will lose some serious wages because of this. An accompanying letter from the company you contract with stating the same will help.

Failing that, I recommend wearing a tin foil hat, peeing your pants and talking to yourself.

Reds4Life
08-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Just tell them the truth and say you aren't in a financial position to be losing wages right now. Financial hardship is a reason to be excused.

Johnny Footstool
08-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Tell them the truth. And wear a swastika armband.

Jpup
08-29-2006, 04:03 AM
I may be the only one, but I say go sit of the jury, if chosen. I feel like that's part of our civic duty as Americans. :usa:

OTOH, I can see your dilemma, if you can't afford it, tell them. If you can, go to court.

GAC
08-29-2006, 08:00 AM
I have a little dilemna. I came home today and there in the mailbox was a summons to jury duty, starting September 18. Since I am an independent contractor and no longer an employee of anyone, if I take those days off to go sit at the courthouse, I won't be making money. The company I am contracted to doesn't pay independent drivers anything for jury duty like they do their actual employees. That's where you all come in. I'm going to call the county tomorrow and plead my case, but if anyone else has any creative ideas for getting out of jury duty, I'm open to suggestions.

You might be able to be excused if you can prove financial hardship.

GAC
08-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Tell them the truth. And wear a swastika armband.

Boxers, bath sandals, and a white hood usually does it for me. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
08-29-2006, 08:13 AM
I believe in serving too, but...

About 6 months after O.J. Simpson was found not guilty in his criminal trial, I got called for jury duty in the Montgomery County (OH) Criminal Court. I had a business associate coming from Spain for a week-long business visit. My job included the business aspect and dining/entertainment. All other cohorts of mine were tied-up that week w/ other foreign associates. Of course I get called to serve a few days before the associate's arrival.

I get seated in the box (lucky me) for a crack cocaine possesion trial. The defendant is the current Mayor of Dayton's brother. It was his 3rd time for getting caught w/ crack and is looking at a 1.5 year sentence. The judge tells us that the trial could last up to 1-1/2 weeks (Ugh... for me).

The prosecutor and defense attorney are questioning us (the jurors). They are allowed to excuse 3 jurors each with no questions asked after the Q&A session. The defense attorney asks me if I can be fair-and-impartial. My answer was, "Yes. However, after the O.J. trial in California I really wonder if the sytem works. That whole trial made me realize that the system does not always work amd that jury manipulation is more important than facts and evidence."

Needless to say I was excused by the defense attorney... his first choice to be excused. It only cost me 3 hours of my time.