PDA

View Full Version : FWIW -- Jim Baker on BP

RedsManRick
08-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I asked the following question and here was Jim's response, the first of his chat :)

TheRedsMan (Chicago): At what point will anybody in the media recognize that as terribly flawed as the Reds are, they are in fact leading the NL Wild Card, have been for sometime, and barring any major changes are the favorites to win it (particularly given their schedule). I know they aren't a good team. But nobody in the NL is. Last night, some of the ESPN talking heads said that the Reds offense is only Junior and Dunn. No mention of Edwin Encarnacion (who has been just as good as David Wright). Will there be any acceptance of the Reds as they are and not simply the regurgitation the common perception?

Jim Baker: Good evening everybody. Welcome to a dream I am currently having about being on the net answering questions about baseball. It will end when I wake up....The Reds have a better third-order winning percentage than the Cardinals. This is one of those year's where somebody's got to win so it might as well be your favorite team, right? Heck, they might even go to the World Series given what we know about the uncertainty of the playoffs and the fact that the best National League team might have some trouble finding live arms for the playoffs.

harangatang
08-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Heck, they might even go to the World Series given what we know about the uncertainty of the playoffs and the fact that the best National League team might have some trouble finding live arms for the playoffs.That's a pretty strong statement but he's right. I would say if Lohse continues to pitch well that a combination of Harang/Arroyo/Lohse would be all the Reds need starting pitching wise to make the World Series and match up to any staff in the NL. Now if we can get a closer (Guardado gets well, trade, Etc.) I don't why the Reds couldn't be the favorite to win the pennant. Winning the World Series is a different story but once you get there you never know (see 1990 Reds).

TOBTTReds
08-23-2006, 12:48 AM
His answer basically summed it up.

NO, we will not recognize them because it could be anybody.

NO, we don't know any of your players. Who's Edwin?

Jr's Boy
08-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Those scrubs on BBTN didn't show any of the Reds home runs lastnight on ''touch em all''.I often wonder what do they have against this team?I'm mean I take those goons with a grain of salt,however it is frustrating when they are the only source for alot of us to see Reds highlights.