PDA

View Full Version : Is saying 'Meow' harassment?

HotCorner
08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Personally I would have named the dog 'Meow'. :D

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/9725203/detail.html

Boy Charged For Meowing At Neighbor Lady
Family Gave Cat Away After Neighbor's Complaints

POSTED: 2:26 pm EDT August 23, 2006

JEANNETTE, Pa. -- Meow. A Pennsylvania judge is being asked to decide whether that word is a harmless taunt or grounds for misdemeanor harassment.

Police have charged a 14-year-old boy with that crime. Michael Loughner is accused of meowing whenever he sees his 78-year-old neighbor, Alexandria Carasia.

The boy's family got rid of their cat after Carasia complained that it was using her flower garden as a litter box. Now, she said, the boy makes meowing sounds every time he sees her.

He said he's only meowed at her twice.

"I've had to put up with this for three years," Carasia said. "As I walk by, I see Michael and his mother. He got on the porch and hid behind the bamboo screen and starts meowing. If I don't make this stop now, they're going to keep doing this to me. I shouldn't have to worry about walking out of the house and being harassed by this young kid."

Loughner said that on July 23 he went out to hold his dog so it wouldn't leave the yard as Carasia walked by.

"She was walking through and she kept looking at us," he testified. "I grabbed the dog so it wouldn't leave the yard. When I put my head down, I meowed."

He said that was one of the two times he's ever meowed at the woman, the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reported.

"As she walked in front of the house, nothing was said," the boy's mother, Sally Loughner, told the court. "He stepped off the porch to make sure the dog didn't get out. As he reached down and got the dog, he said, 'Meow.' ... She said, 'Do you want me to call the cops again?' I said, 'Go ahead, he hasn't done anything wrong.'"

There is a history of disputes between the neighbors, according to the paper.

Sally Loughner told the court that she ended up sending her cat to live with family members so that she could "keep peace in the neighborhood."

Defense attorney David Martin Jr. asked that the case be dropped.

"This should never have been filed," Martin said. "This is not something that police should be wasting their time with or wasting the court's time."

The judge heard from both parties Tuesday. He decided to wait 90 days before ruling, saying he'll decide what to do after seeing how the boy and his neighbor get along in the meantime.

guttle11
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
"Meow, what seems to be the problem?"

Farney
08-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Meow know how fast you were going?

Redsland
08-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Those are the first cat-calls that 78-year old woman has heard in a while, I'd wager.

bucksfan
08-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Hard to say who's making what up. I know one thing - from my 4 years of living in town with a neighbor who let her cats run, I can totally sympathize with the lady from the perspective of complaining about their cat. Nothing like having all your flower beds smelling absolutely pungent because someone does not control their animal. Our former neighbor (when we did live in town)almost ruined the enjoyment of our 1st house because of this and we put a stop to it.

As far as the meowing....???

Rojo
08-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Nothing like having all your flower beds smelling absolutely pungent because someone does not control their animal.

You just don't control cats.

Razor Shines
08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
"I'm gonna have to write you a ticket, meow."

HotCorner
08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
"I'm gonna have to write you a ticket, meow."

:thumbup:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MG/190702~Super-Troopers-Posters.jpg

Yachtzee
08-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Meow, meow Henrietta *****cat meow meow better not meow move into meow meow neighborhood.

bucksfan
08-24-2006, 12:28 AM

If I lived in town, they'd be housecats. But I know what you mean.

GAC
08-24-2006, 06:31 AM

And I always wondered about that. Why is it that you have to have a license and control your dog, but not a cat? And if someone comes on here and says it's because cats are not as big a nuisance as dogs, then I will respectfully have to disagree. That is downright canine discrimination! :lol:

Our neighbors have cats. I love walking around my yard and seeing half eaten baby rabbits and bird carcasses from these cats. Not to mention that I can't leave my garage door open or it comes inside my garage and tears the crap out of the place (trash).

REDREAD
08-24-2006, 06:43 AM
I agree that cats that are allowed to wander are a huge PITA.

But that lady is 78 and she's letting a 14 year old boy tease her? And even worse, the authorities actually got involved? What a waste of government resources.. Ignore the kid, you cranky old bag.

RedsBaron
08-24-2006, 08:45 AM
That 78 year old woman is fortunate that I am not the judge she is appearing before, because there is an excellent chance that I would not only be ruling against her; I also would be accessing costs against her for filing such a stupid suit.

oneupper
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM
HERE COME DA JUDGE!

http://www.november.org/razorwire/rzold/17/judgejudy.jpg

GAC
08-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Growing up we had an old lady that lived across the street from us that was a real crank. All the neighborhood kids had a problem with her. We'd be out in the street playing kickball and various other games, and if the ball went up into her meticulous front yard where every blade of grass was the same height, she'd come flying out the door, grab the ball, and put it in a box she had in her garage.

You did not mess with this woman's yard. The mailman or paperboy couldn't walk across it, or they'd get cussed out.

Us neighborhood kids always evened the score though every Halloween.... cabbage and lettuce seeds in the yard do wonders. ;)

Rojo
08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
And I always wondered about that. Why is it that you have to have a license and control your dog, but not a cat?

When's the last time a cat-mauling made the news?

bucksfan
08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
And I always wondered about that. Why is it that you have to have a license and control your dog, but not a cat? And if someone comes on here and says it's because cats are not as big a nuisance as dogs, then I will respectfully have to disagree. That is downright canine discrimination! :lol:

Our neighbors have cats. I love walking around my yard and seeing half eaten baby rabbits and bird carcasses from these cats. Not to mention that I can't leave my garage door open or it comes inside my garage and tears the crap out of the place (trash).

Several communities have laws similar to dog control laws for this reason. I actually had to research it and came up with the legislation from a neighboring community to help my case when I attended our town council meeting. When we lived in town we had a housecat.

I will freely admit that our 2 guys now do "roam free" - but I can guarantee that they do not leave our property or infringe on any other's space. Our nearest neighbor is more than 1/2 mile away. They sleep a closed garage every night also. If we had closer neighbors or we had to move, I would be in a dilemma as I am very conscious of affecting others in these matters. If I could start from scratch, these guys would have been in door cats, but when we started in on this house project years go, we found them here and already had an indoor cat who was not receptive to the idea.

westofyou
08-24-2006, 02:48 PM
If I could start from scratch, these guys would have been in door cats, but when we started in on this house project years go, we found them here and already had an indoor cat who was not receptive to the idea.

I used to think the same way, until about 2 months ago... now I let my cats out in the day, while I work at home. They are much happier and the prior spraying problem has diminished quite a bit. I know the risk and the problem of them in others yards exist, but animals need to feel the ground beneath their feet and smell the fresh air, it completes their circle as a living being.

Even if it's a small amount of time outside it will change their existance, shift their paradigm and all that rot...

LoganBuck
08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Good Fences, make Good Neighbors

In this case that old lady would require a wall 20 feet high with a moat and a machine gun. My wife's grandparents are like this. They freakout when things go astray. A young family moved into the house next door to them. The kids were getting balls into their yard and then my wife's grandparents were confiscating them. I remedied that situation by reminding her that turn about was fair play to kids, and that they were risking retribuition by doing so. The kids shouldn't be in their yard, but they have no right to confiscate someone else's property.

TeamBoone
08-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I used to think the same way, until about 2 months ago... now I let my cats out in the day, while I work at home. They are much happier and the prior spraying problem has diminished quite a bit. I know the risk and the problem of them in others yards exist, but animals need to feel the ground beneath their feet and smell the fresh air, it completes their circle as a living being.

Even if it's a small amount of time outside it will change their existance, shift their paradigm and all that rot...

I totally agree. My cat is 13 and has always been able to go outside. She goes absolutely nuts if she has to stay inside during the day... to the point where she pulls her out.

Cats are loners, love to roam, and love to hunt. Normally, she'll eat what she kills but on occasion, she has brought her spoils home. I don't think she'd ever leave anything half eaten... actually, most cats don't. If they don't want it, they don't kill it. If I see her trying to kill something, yes, I scare her away. But I'm not there all the time and it is their nature after all.

I've never had a neighbor complain if she cuts through their yard... though to my knowledge, she does not poop in their flower beds. Even if she did, how would they know that?

And how do you turn an outdoor cat into an indoor cat just because you decide to move to town? Unless the cat is truly being a nuisance, I can't imagine anyone complaining... they are rarely destructive.

Handofdeath
08-24-2006, 07:13 PM
I had such high hopes when I read the title of this thread.:evil:

TeamBoone
08-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Little Team Griffey is into mimicing sounds... he has been since he was about two (he's now five, almost six, and still does it). He makes train noises, siren noises, etc..... and when he was about three he meowed... alot!

He doesn't/didn't confine all these sounds to home. I'm sure that shoppers around Cincinnati sometimes think he's mentally challenged because of all the sounds he makes.

One day, we were in H.H.Gregg and he starts the meowing thing. Low and behold, these same sounds started coming from about 50 feet away. We went to investigate and much to our surprise, there was a little girl answering him! We all got quite a laugh out of it, and we felt much better knowing that he wasn't such a weirdo after all!

bucksfan
08-25-2006, 10:36 AM
II've never had a neighbor complain if she cuts through their yard... though to my knowledge, she does not poop in their flower beds. Even if she did, how would they know that?

And how do you turn an outdoor cat into an indoor cat just because you decide to move to town? Unless the cat is truly being a nuisance, I can't imagine anyone complaining... they are rarely destructive.

In town free-roaming cats can be an incredible nuisance though I agree it is not always the case. I agree that just cutting through yards, etc is no problem at all. But using the flower beds as litter boxes is a complete different story. And it could be told by simply sniffing outside our windows, not even going outside. It was pungent (due more to #1 then #2 most likely). My situation was exacerbated by the fact that our neighbor had multiple cats. I suspect I would not have minded one so much and perhaps even got friendly with it. But the situation was outof control. She soon had no cats and soon after moved. We just got unlucky with our neighbor in general. In her own words, she was "not meant to own a house".

As it was, I held a passionate dislike for those cats and that neighbor as they were taking away a significant portion of the enjoyment of our 1st home. Hence our new location sans neighbors. I would consider moving back into town, but I know now how a neighbor can so drastically influence your quality of life and that will be considered in any future decision. For the record, our neighbor on the opposite side of us was absolutely the best. We are in fact going to her retirement party tomorrow.

And you're right, we could never make our 2 cats indoor cats at this stage, it would not be fair to them. So we are country-bound for a while yet which is perfectly fine by me! We are just looking at in-town locations a bit now since we now have a child (with no plans for a 2nd) and picture that it would be nice for her to walk to a park, friend's houses, etc. But we'll see - there are tons of plusses of our current location too.

REDREAD
08-28-2006, 02:36 PM

Not all cats are destructive, but some are. At our first house, when I walked out the door, there'd be 2-5 ferrel cats jumping out of our bushes. There was a neighbor down the road that would "adopt" a bunch of strays. In other words, she'd bring them to our neighborhood, put food out for them, and then let them just roam.

And yes, I could tell they were excreting, as it was killing our flowers and stunk. They also dug a lot there.
I have no problem with an occasional pet wandering through the yard, but some are distructive. A lot of songbirds (whose population is on the decline) are killed by pet cats as well.