PDA

View Full Version : Burger King charges hurt kid for ice

HotCorner
08-23-2006, 04:46 PM
http://www2.townonline.com/newton/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=560579

Miserly Burger King charges hurt kid for ice
By Jennifer Roy/ Daily News Tribune
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - Updated: 10:35 AM EST

Ice does not appear on Burger Kingís menu, but it should after a Newton teen limped into the Moody Street fast-food restaurant last week looking for some cool relief of a sore ankle.

John Michael Jasset staggered into the restaurant about 5 p.m. last Thursday after being hit by a car. He was thrown from his bike and also scraped his knee, arms and hands, his mother, Cheryl Jasset, said.

But when he asked for some ice to put on his ankle, he was told he had to pay for it.

The charge: 99 cents, plus 5 cents for tax. Thatís the price of a small soda.

"Iím never going to Burger King again," John Michael said.

The 16-year-old Pond Street resident said that right after the accident, he exchanged information with the driver, picked up his bike, called his friends - who hadnít seen the accident and rode ahead - on a walkie-talkie and hobbled into Burger King to nurture his injuries.

A sign on the door gives the cost of a bag of ice, but Jassetís mother says they should have just given it free.

"Itís outrageous," Cheryl Jasset said. "He wasnít dripping blood or anything, but his knee, arms and hands were cut."

She said she has tried to contact the local Burger King, but has gotten nowhere. Sheís called the companyís corporate office, too.

So far there has been no apology from the fast-food giant.

No one answered calls from a reporter at the Moody Street restaurant Monday. Officials at Burger Kingís corporate offices in Miami did not return calls, either.

"Iím never going to go to Burger King again," Cheryl Jasset said, echoing her son. "He was scared. No one helped him."

John Michael Jasset said he was afraid to ask for ice, so his friend did. The friend then paid for it because John did not have cash.

He said the cash-on-delivery ice didnít even help much, but his ankle feels better now. The driver of the car that hit him saw his two friends but not him, he said.

Cheryl Jasset said a language barrier was evident at Burger King on the night of the incident, and has been in the days since.

"There has to be some comprehension because youíre dealing with people all day long," she said.

She said she just wants answers and an apology.

Insurance, she said, will cover her sonís medical bills.

It wonít get his friendís $1.04 back, however.

Redsland
08-23-2006, 04:59 PM
What if he'd been punched and given a black eye, and he asked a restaurant for a steak to cover it? Would it be an outrage if they charged him the going rate?

Is he going to be charged full price by the hospital that treats him? If so, is that an outrage?

Threatening never to go to Burger King again? Isn't that like threatening to boycott Renault?

westofyou
08-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Threatening never to go to Burger King again? Isn't that like threatening to boycott Renault?

"I'm so hungry, I could eat at Arby's"

http://dad.vidman.ca/stuff/sherri_terri.gif

RBA
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Wow, health care is getting bad in this country when people are going to Burger King for treatment.

Johnny Footstool
08-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Would you like fries with your tetanus shot?

Rojo
08-23-2006, 08:41 PM
What if he'd been punched and given a black eye, and he asked a restaurant for a steak to cover it? Would it be an outrage if they charged him the going rate?

Is he going to be charged full price by the hospital that treats him? If so, is that an outrage?

Dude, its ice!

cincy jacket
08-23-2006, 10:55 PM
I never understood why a cup of water was free but they charged you for a cup of ice. Go figure.

CincySportsFan1
08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
I never understood why a cup of water was free but they charged you for a cup of ice. Go figure.
Yeah, and the cup of water has ice in it too... So you get water + ice for free or just ice for $1.04. :rolleyes:

max venable
08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Can't believe it's actually a news story.

First, kid doesn't even ask himself...he gets his buddy to go ask.

"Hey could I have some ice for my friend?"

"Yeah...it's 99Ę"

"But he just hurt himself on the street."

"Oh, well, in that case...it's free."

I mean, come on. The friend paid for the ice, which any friend would do...and think nothing of it. It was $1.04 for cryin' out loud.

"I'm never going to BK again!" And...??? So...???

The Mom: I think it should have been free. Lady, it was a buck! How is this even a news story? Crazy.

oneupper
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
How is this even a news story? Crazy.

Slow news day? :dunno:

Chip R
08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Threatening never to go to Burger King again?
He'll live longer.

justincredible
08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe he should have said it was for a duck. I know for a fact that ducks eat for free at Subway. It might be the same at BK, who knows?

ThornWithin81
08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
He'll live longer.

Unless he gets hit by a car again, mind you.

guttle11
08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Maybe he should have said it was for a duck. I know for a fact that ducks eat for free at Subway. It might be the same at BK, who knows?

You stole my joke!

Seriously, when's the lawsuit filed?

Unassisted
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
The minimum-wage drones at the counter were probably told by their pimply-faced manager in a "team" meeting that ice and water must always be paid for. And now we see the downside of that policy.

http://www.movieactors.com/freeseframes-1026/FastTimes5.jpeg

RedFanAlways1966
08-24-2006, 12:55 PM
"Itís outrageous," Cheryl Jasset said. "He wasnít dripping blood or anything, but his knee, arms and hands were cut."

I'll give a few more outrageous things... a mother who feels the need to contact the local rag and tell this story. A newspaper who feels the need to print this story. A lawyer who probably sees $$$$ and tries to sue BK for this family.

A life cannot be bought at BK, but some need to get one somewhere.

zombie-a-go-go
08-24-2006, 12:59 PM
If I'd been managing that BK, not only would I have charged the kid for ice, after buying said ice I'd have told him to get the hell out of my joint before his mangled presence upset my customers.

And if he dripped any blood on the floor on his way out the door, he'd better clean it up.

ochre
08-24-2006, 01:08 PM
If I'd been managing that BK, not only would I have charged the kid for ice, after buying said ice I'd have told him to get the hell out of my joint before his mangled presence upset my customers.

And if he dripped any blood on the floor on his way out the door, he'd better clean it up.
And then you would have banned him from redszone!

zombie-a-go-go
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
And then you would have banned him from redszone!

That little twit.

registerthis
08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Ridiculous that this story made news. Still...

Burger King was chintzy. It's what happens when you hire cash register drones who can't think for themselves. I worked in a grocery store for seven years, and we handed out little freebies like this all the time.

RedFanAlways1966
08-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Ridiculous that this story made news. Still...

Burger King was chintzy. It's what happens when you hire cash register drones who can't think for themselves. I worked in a grocery store for seven years, and we handed out little freebies like this all the time.

I agree. I should have pointed that out in my previous post. Absolutely ridiculous to not help out a hurt kid (or an adult) w/ ice. I don't blame BK, but rather blame the idiot who was in charge of the store at the time.

Dom Heffner
08-25-2006, 11:02 PM
A few months ago a car broke down outside our office- in my suit and tie, I lifted up the hood of both of the cars and gave the guy a jump.

And then I gave him my card. I didn't put my suit jacket back on and say, "Let's see, I'm worth $75 an hour, and that took 15 minutes, so you owe me..."

There's a time to make money and a time to be nice, and in this instance Burger King should have given the kid a cup of ice if he was hurt. There isn't a customer service expert in the country who would take the side of Burger King here.

He wasn't trying to scam a free Coke, he just wanted some frozen water.

Instead of blaming the kid's family for going to the press, I blame Burger King for not taking advantage of the situation here- they could have looked like the good guy for the low cost of around .37 (their price on the cup, probably).

You will never impress people by charging for every little item.

Charging for ice is pretty ridiculous. Yes, I know it adds up, but so does the bad taste the practice leaves in people's mouths. You lose more money being cheap.

I don't go to places who charge for condiments like butter or ice or anything like that. That's just being cheap.

RFS62
08-25-2006, 11:51 PM
I can't remember ever seeing a customer service expert working in a Burger King.

To make this out like it's a Burger King corporate policy is pretty ridiculous.

creek14
08-26-2006, 07:11 AM
My first cousin, once removed, it married to the widow of the BK founder. (Follow that?). She still sits on the board and has a lot of say what goes on with the company. I'm going to send her that article. She won't be pleased.

redsmetz
08-26-2006, 08:14 AM
It seems at times that customer service is becoming a lost art. All three of my kids have worked in retail for summer jobs and I constantly point out to them the little things that make a difference.

For instance, my son and I were at a Skyline recently and the service was very slow, a rarity even for the worst Skyline (which we might have been at - location to remain unnamed). The place wasn't crowded and it took 6-7 minutes for our food. The waitress didn't ask if we wanted refills, it was just subpar.

After finally remembering to ask if we wanted refills, she stopped and said she was sorry, that she was really scatterbrained today and knew she hadn't given us the service she should have. I told my son she saved her full tip. At the register, the manager comped the mints, saying "I've got those". He's out 15-18 cents, but he's got a placated customer. The waitress got her full tip.

It's the small things. A simple "I'm sorry" goes miles. And providing ice to an injured passerby isn't just good customer relations, it's simple human decency - and you don't charge for that. They might have thrown in asking if they needed them to call 911.

max venable
08-26-2006, 08:54 AM
A few months ago a car broke down outside our office- in my suit and tie, I lifted up the hood of both of the cars and gave the guy a jump.

And then I gave him my card. I didn't put my suit jacket back on and say, "Let's see, I'm worth $75 an hour, and that took 15 minutes, so you owe me..."

There's a time to make money and a time to be nice, and in this instance Burger King should have given the kid a cup of ice if he was hurt. There isn't a customer service expert in the country who would take the side of Burger King here.

He wasn't trying to scam a free Coke, he just wanted some frozen water.

Instead of blaming the kid's family for going to the press, I blame Burger King for not taking advantage of the situation here- they could have looked like the good guy for the low cost of around .37 (their price on the cup, probably).

You will never impress people by charging for every little item.

Charging for ice is pretty ridiculous. Yes, I know it adds up, but so does the bad taste the practice leaves in people's mouths. You lose more money being cheap.

I don't go to places who charge for condiments like butter or ice or anything like that. That's just being cheap.
Can't disagree with anything you said, Dom. It's just not that big a deal, IMO.

And...we don't have the full story. Was the injured kid near the counter? His friend was the one who asked. If you've got some moron kid working behind the counter, he/she is not going to know the proper way to handle it. If it's you or I working, of course we'd give the ice. Every time. Some (lots of) people just don't have enough common sense in situations like that. It's not Burger King's fault. More likely it's some idiot behind the counter who 'doesn't get it.'

As for the PR opportunity... The only issue here is avoiding bad press like this one. If BK would have given the free ice, no one would have ever heard about it...and most likely the family would have never even thanked BK.

It's that sense of entitlement that most everyone thinks they have. I still don't see what the big deal is. Yes, BK should have given the ice, but geez, it was $1...and the friend paid anyway. Isn't that the bottom line? If it's your friend who's injured and he needs ice aren't you just going to go ahead and pay the buck and then attend to his needs? Who gets that twisted about having to pay for a cup of ice?

Again, you're right with what you said, Dom. I just still don't see what the big deal is in this particular case.

Hoosier Red
08-26-2006, 10:28 AM
It seems at times that customer service is becoming a lost art. All three of my kids have worked in retail for summer jobs and I constantly point out to them the little things that make a difference.

For instance, my son and I were at a Skyline recently and the service was very slow, a rarity even for the worst Skyline (which we might have been at - location to remain unnamed). The place wasn't crowded and it took 6-7 minutes for our food. The waitress didn't ask if we wanted refills, it was just subpar.

After finally remembering to ask if we wanted refills, she stopped and said she was sorry, that she was really scatterbrained today and knew she hadn't given us the service she should have. I told my son she saved her full tip. At the register, the manager comped the mints, saying "I've got those". He's out 15-18 cents, but he's got a placated customer. The waitress got her full tip.

It's the small things. A simple "I'm sorry" goes miles. And providing ice to an injured passerby isn't just good customer relations, it's simple human decency - and you don't charge for that. They might have thrown in asking if they needed them to call 911.

I forgot where I read it, but a placated customer is 10 times more valuable to a business than a happy customer. Redsmetz probably has told that story to 20 people outside of Redszone, and due to the glory of the internet has told the story to a couple thousand here.

Dom Heffner
08-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Can't disagree with anything you said, Dom. It's just not that big a deal, IMO.

I agree. It isn't that big of a deal. Somebody decided to print it to play a game of "gotcha" with Burger King. But this story is an example of why you treat people better.

If it's you or I working, of course we'd give the ice. Every time. Some (lots of) people just don't have enough common sense in situations like that. It's not Burger King's fault.

This is the truth but not the perception. And in business, perception is everything. If your lowest paid employee screws up, the blame shifts to the corporate logo in one second flat.

And Burger King needs to train people on this sort of thing. If they did, then they need to make sure it is carried out. They can't really say, "What do you want us to do, we told our employees to do it..."

Some (lots of) people just don't have enough common sense in situations like that.

It's Burger King's responsibility to make sure they don't have people like that.

It's like being a baseball manager. You didn't shank the bunt, but you are responsible for making sure the bunt doesn't get shanked. You're the one who sent him to the plate, or in this case, the sales counter.

As for the PR opportunity... The only issue here is avoiding bad press like this one. If BK would have given the free ice, no one would have ever heard about it...and most likely the family would have never even thanked BK.

I didn't mean they would have gotten good publicity in the media- I'm talking about good publicity in their own dining room. Even if they didn't get one thank you, they would have kept the injured kid, his friend, and his family and not lost the many they are going to lose by this. Just by giving a cup of ice to someone.

I still don't see what the big deal is. Yes, BK should have given the ice, but geez, it was $1...and the friend paid anyway.

It isn't a dollar, max. Burger King's cost on a cup is probably under .40. So...they are going to make .60 off somebody who is hurt before they hand them over a cup of ice?

So it is "just .40" for Burger King but "just a dollar" for the kid. The person who is hurt not only has to pay for the ice but the people providing it are making out two and a half fold.

And...we don't have the full story. Was the injured kid near the counter? His friend was the one who asked.

I honestly don't know, max- this seems irrelevant to me, but can't we infer that the injured person was the one who asked or was by the counter?

The friend would have had to know Burger King wouldn't just give him the ice as well as the fact that his friend had no money for the injured kid to not be part of the transaction.

More importantly, it looks as though if the friend weren't there, the kid wouldn't have gotten the ice. That's just terrible.

It's that sense of entitlement that most everyone thinks they have.

Burger King charges for ice for a few reasons. One is so that people don't use them as their ice supplier- ice may not cost much, but the more that goes out requires more man hours to hand it out and replace it. It's also wear and tear on their machine. The also have to pay for the cup. .40 may not seem like a lot but if you handed it out free 400,000 times it starts to add up, right?

But I promise you Burger King did not start charging for ice for the situation we are decribing here. Nobody was thinking that someone with a scrape on their leg is looking for a hand out.

max venable
08-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I honestly don't know, max- this seems irrelevant to me, but can't we infer that the injured person was the one who asked or was by the counter?

The story said the kid was "afraid" to ask for the ice himself. I don't what what's up with that...but it said his friend was the one who went and asked on his behalf.

The story also said this: A sign on the door gives the cost of a bag of ice, but Jassetís mother says they should have just given it free.

Again, I agree, just give the ice. But if it happened in front of a Rite-Aid, should they give free ointment and band-aids? Bottom line, if someone's injured...do what you can to help.

creek14
08-26-2006, 11:55 AM
"Burger King's cost on a cup is probably under .40."

I bet their cost is less than .01 per cup.

But that isn't the point.

Where was any compassion? Or human decency? A buck is more important than helping someone in distress? What a sad world this is.

Like redsmetz said, a call to 911 would have been nice, along with ice and a plastic bag or something to put it in.

creek14
08-26-2006, 11:56 AM
The story said the kid was "afraid" to ask for the ice himself. I don't what what's up with that...but it said his friend was the one who went and asked on his behalf.

He's a kid. He had just been hit by a car. Maybe he was a little shook up and not thinking like a grown man posting on a message board.

westofyou
08-26-2006, 12:01 PM
He's a kid. He had just been hit by a car. Maybe he was a little shook up and not thinking like a grown man posting on a message board.
Ice is nothing more than frozen water, BK is a business, a business that should serve more then food (like the community) when dealing with the neighborhood they do business in.

They failed in a major way to serve anything beyond their corporate policy, and that's a crappy way to do business.

max venable
08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
"
Where was any compassion? Or human decency? A buck is more important than helping someone in distress? What a sad world this is.

Like redsmetz said, a call to 911 would have been nice, along with ice and a plastic bag or something to put it in.
Again, we really don't know the whole story. But I guarantee you this, neither Burger King, or McDonalds, Taco Bell, you name it, pays people to be compassionate. You can do everything you can to help people do better with this but bottom line...most people just don't care. And when you do find someone who actually gives a rip, you're not going to get them to work for you for $7.50 an hour.

It is what it is...it could have just as easily been any other fast food joint...or even the place where any of us works...people just aren't going to "get it."

And then you get some angry mom making a scene over it.

max venable
08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Fair point.

Dom Heffner
08-26-2006, 12:40 PM

The story also said this: A sign on the door gives the cost of a bag of ice, but Jasset’s mother says they should have just given it free.

I was too lazy to go back and read. Thanks for the clarification.

But if it happened in front of a Rite-Aid, should they give free ointment and band-aids?

No, but they should give a cup of ice if they have an icemaker.

To me, this is about expectations. I don't expect a hospital to give me free care for my boo-boos- if they did that they wouldn't be in business.

Burger King isn't in the ice business.

When I helped the guy with jumping his car should I have charged him? Should I have said, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know."

(Gunga galunga gunga - gunga galunga.)

Again, I agree, just give the ice. But

I always thought that "But" was an acronym for "behold (the) underlying truth." :)

Max, you have me grinning here. You are agreeing with everything I am saying yet doing everything in your power to argue for the other side.

Which is it- should they have given the ice or not? They can't be morally responsible on one hand but on the other, not.

The story also said this: A sign on the door gives the cost of a bag of ice, but Jasset’s mother says they should have just given it free.

Was it for a cup or a bag? I'm confused. And lazy. I don't want to hit my back button to find out anything more. Uncle!!! :)

This is a one second decision for me. Give the kid the ice and don't make excuses about signs and costs and being scared to ask for it.

I bet their cost is less than .01 per cup.

You're probably right, creek. I just used what our friend pays- I'm sure he isn't buying in the quantity Burger King is.

a call to 911 would have been nice

I think the going rate for that is like .50 these days, isn't it?

TC81190
08-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Ice is nothing more than frozen water, BK is a business, a business that should serve more then food (like the community) when dealing with the neighborhood they do business in.

They failed in a major way to serve anything beyond their corporate policy, and that's a crappy way to do business.

QFT

RBA
08-26-2006, 12:50 PM
$7..50 an hour? No where near that here in El Paso.

max venable
08-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I always thought that "But" was an acronym for "behold (the) underlying truth." :)

Max, you have me grinning here. You are agreeing with everything I am saying yet doing everything in your power to argue for the other side.

Which is it- should they have given the ice or not? They can't be morally responsible on one hand but on the other, not.

Yes, bottom line, give the dude some ice.

And if you're the dude (or his mom)...get over it.

Can you live with that, Dom? :)

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm sure this Burger King deals with car-struck kids begging for ice every day.

I read this article and think what a depressing economy we live in in this country.

GAC
08-27-2006, 07:22 AM
"I’m never going to go to Burger King again," Cheryl Jasset said, echoing her son.

Lady - it doesn't take me an injury to refuse to ever set foot in a Burger King, McDonalds, or like...... their food drove me away many years ago! Yechh!

If the kid's friend had asked to speak to the manager instead of probably dealing with another TEENAGER behind that counter who probably will retire from BK, and then explained the situation, I bet they would have gotten free ice. ;)

max venable
08-27-2006, 08:03 AM
If the kid's friend had asked to speak to the manager instead of probably dealing with another TEENAGER behind that counter who probably will retire from BK, and then explained the situation, I bet they would have gotten free ice. ;)
But why bother? I would just pay the $1 and move on. The pressing issue was the well-being of the friend.

GAC
08-27-2006, 09:02 AM
But why bother? I would just pay the $1 and move on. The pressing issue was the well-being of the friend.

True. And the friend didn't do anything wrong because it's obvious that his main concern was for his buddy. What I am saying though is - that if having to pay a $1 seemed like an outrageous thing to have to do, considering the situation, he should have done so, cared for his buddy, and then taken the time to communicate that pressing issue to someone of authority (like the manager).... and probably to someone who would really care. Because it's obvious by what happened that this counter person didn't.

I bet the manager would have resolved the issue amicably IMO. If not, then I'd have contacted the corporate office if I felt it was necessary.

max venable
08-27-2006, 09:13 AM
I just don't know why anyone would go to all that trouble over a lousy buck.

I've already spent waaaay too much time thinking about this. :)

GAC
08-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I just don't know why anyone would go to all that trouble over a lousy buck.

You're absolutely right. But this is where our society has came to, over silly issues like this..... and it is sad. ;)

RFS62
08-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm sure the pimple faced BK order taker gave careful consideration to the social-economic implications of charging for that ice before he/she did it. No doubt someone with that level of education and training and worldly experience thought it out before refusing to give the ice away.

"What to do, what to do? On one hand, I'm ordered not to give ice away. On the other, no doubt this kid's parents will get a lawyer and a press agent and make life a living hell for my parent corporation if I don't give up the ice."

Given the fact that you're pretty lucky if they actually hold the pickles and hold the lettuce when you ask them to, I'm not really surprised that some kid in a minimum wage job made a poor choice in this case.

Sadly, I'm also not surprised at the attitude of entitlement that permeates our society and allows a parent to turn this into a media event.

Falls City Beer
08-27-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm sure the pimple faced BK order taker gave careful consideration to the social-economic implications of charging for that ice before he/she did it. No doubt someone with that level of education and training and worldly experience thought it out before refusing to give the ice away.

"What to do, what to do? On one hand, I'm ordered not to give ice away. On the other, no doubt this kid's parents will get a lawyer and a press agent and make life a living hell for my parent corporation if I don't give up the ice."

Given the fact that you're pretty lucky if they actually hold the pickles and hold the lettuce when you ask them to, I'm not really surprised that some kid in a minimum wage job made a poor choice in this case.

Sadly, I'm also not surprised at the attitude of entitlement that permeates our society and allows a parent to turn this into a media event.

I actually think that socioeconomic concerns were foremost in that pimple-faced kid's mind; I'm certain he felt that if he "broke the 'rules'" (whatever the hell they are--they're often nebulous and capricious) and gave away a cup of ice, that he'd be fired. So he erred on the side of fear instead of compassion, self-preservation instead of the right thing to do. Pretty sad indeed that our society places the bottom line above human decency to that extent.

Dom Heffner
08-27-2006, 11:03 AM
actually think that socioeconomic concerns were foremost in that pimple-faced kid's mind; I'm certain he felt that if he "broke the 'rules'" (whatever the hell they are--they're often nebulous and capricious) and gave away a cup of ice, that he'd be fired. So he erred on the side of fear instead of compassion, self-preservation instead of the right thing to do. Pretty sad indeed that our society places the bottom line above human decency to that extent.

Very well said.

Sadly, I'm also not surprised at the attitude of entitlement that permeates our society and allows a parent to turn this into a media event

I think the point the mother is making is that it's not a good business practice to charge an injured kid who just got hit by a car $1.00 for something that costs a few cents.

The "sense of entitlement" argument works if this woman was wanting a free cup of ice to drink, not when someone just got hit by a car. It is not for consumption, it is to bring swelling down.

It's like this kid should be limping up to the counter with his outstretched hand holding a dollar and muttering, "Yeah, I'll take a cup of ice to go...I don't want to get blood on your floor...this is a business- your business- and I am inconveniencing you for being stupid enough to get hit by a car....I don't want anything for free, I want to pay for it because this is America, and in America why not make a buck at every chance you get...in fact, I'm thrilled that my misfortune will help your end of day numbers...this is capitalism as it is supposed to work...ouch...I'm just thankful you can be of assistance in bringing my swelling down...golly, this is the best dollar I've ever spent..."

:laugh: