PDA

View Full Version : Favorite SNL character?

LawFive
08-24-2006, 07:48 AM
True, the show hasn't been good of late, but there have been some classics over time.

Me llamo Matt Foley, y yo soy un motivational speaker!

dabvu2498
08-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Hans and Franz... here to pump *clap* you up.

Johnny Footstool
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Dieter from Sprokets -- really funny and original, but like most of Mike Myers' characters, he eventually became ridiculously overexposed.

Wil Farrell's unnamed "screaming dad" character was incredibly funny, even though he was only in two or three sketches. "Get off the shed! I'm going to punch you in the face unless you get off the shed!"

I also really enjoyed Jon Lovitz' Tommy Flanagan "Liar" character.

dabvu2498
08-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Wil Farrell's unnamed "screaming dad" character was incredibly funny, even though he was only in two or three sketches. "Get off the shed! I'm going to punch you in the face unless you get off the shed!"

"I drive a Dodge Stratus!!!"

HumnHilghtFreel
08-24-2006, 11:18 AM
"I drive a Dodge Stratus!!!"

lol, that line is what I think of when I think of him on SNL

Unassisted
08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Here's a similar thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29554) from '05 to mine for ideas.

LoganBuck
08-24-2006, 12:58 PM
In case any of you don't know SNL has canned Kenan Thompson, Horatio Sanz, and Chris Parnell. Rachel Dratch and Tina Fey left to do another show, 30 Rock. Darrell Hammond may also be gone.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/08/23/update-sanz-parnell-and-thompson-off-snl/

HumnHilghtFreel
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
In case any of you don't know SNL has canned Kenan Thompson, Horatio Sanz, and Chris Parnell. Rachel Dratch and Tina Fey left to do another show, 30 Rock. Darrell Hammond may also be gone.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/08/23/update-sanz-parnell-and-thompson-off-snl/

Wow, it was bad enough when they were there... who's left?

Red Leader
08-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Currently, that would make Amy Poehler the star. She is, IMO, pure comedy. Losing Rachel Dratch and Tina Fey will hurt a lot. They were both really good.

Chris Parnell and Kenan Thompson were expendable. Kenan never was very funny, IMO. Parnell, while funny, had run out his welcome. Horatio Sanz was funny, IMO, in the beginning. He was better as a background guy instead of a main character, though, so his loss won't be too difficult to overcome.

The only other cast member I can think of besides Andy Samberg that is staying (besides Poehler and possibly Hammond) are Maya Rudolph and Jason Sudeikis. I'm indifferent about both of them, although I have a hard time seeing Sudeikis excelling in the Weekend Update spot.

wolfboy
08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Dieter from Sprokets -- really funny and original, but like most of Mike Myers' characters, he eventually became ridiculously overexposed.

I also really enjoyed Jon Lovitz' Tommy Flanagan "Liar" character.

Dieter is my favorite character as well. I went to a Halloween party as Dieter last year.

Chip R
08-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Dieter is my favorite character as well. I went to a Halloween party as Dieter last year.

Awesome!! :beerme: I liked Dieter too but I don't know if he was my favorite. I loved Billy Crystal's Fernando but talk about overexposed.

I wonder if Tina Fey will come back if her show doesn't do well. It's going to be rough for them if they lose Hammond but they will perservere like they have for 30 years. I recently read a book about SNL and I can't imagine staying there over 3-4 years. A very high pressure situation.

LoganBuck
08-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I wonder if Tina Fey will come back if her show doesn't do well. It's going to be rough for them if they lose Hammond but they will perservere like they have for 30 years. I recently read a book about SNL and I can't imagine staying there over 3-4 years. A very high pressure situation.

She has indicated that she may come back sometime in the future. I heard that on the radio a while ago.

wolfboy
08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Awesome!! :beerme: I liked Dieter too but I don't know if he was my favorite. I loved Billy Crystal's Fernando but talk about overexposed.

I don't have a scanner anymore, but I'll see if I can get a picture scanned. The costume turned out distrubingly good.

Ltlabner
08-24-2006, 02:28 PM
I would not say it's my alltime favorite, but Jimmy Fallon's impersonation of Barry Gibb is pretty dang funny. When he and Justin Timberlake did the "Barry Gibb Talk Show" I about wet my pants laughing.

Also, Darrell Hammonds impresionation of Sean Connery on Jepordy is over-the-top funny to me. I don't know how he combined Connery with the cranky & foul old man, but it was comic gold.

Not my all time favorites but two pretty good ones.

Chip R
08-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Also, Darrell Hammonds impresionation of Sean Connery on Jepordy is over-the-top funny to me. I don't know how he combined Connery with the cranky & foul old man, but it was comic gold.

Gotta admit that was pretty good. How about Will Farrell's Robert Goulet?

Roy Tucker
08-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Back in the old days, Gilda Radner as Roseanne Rosannadanna and Emily Littela.

She and Bill Murray were good in their Todd and Lisa sketches.

dabvu2498
08-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Also, Norm McDonald as Turd Ferguson... errrr... Burt Reynolds.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/99/pics/99cjeopardy3.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/jstefango/456336338812613211.jpg

Sweetstop
08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Belushi's short-order cook..."Cheeseburger, cheeseburger"

ala Billy Goat Tavern

Rojo
08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
You can actually chart the show's decline with the Tina Fey's promotion to head writer. Not saying good riddance necessarily, but I'm curious to see if the show turns around.

Handofdeath
08-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Best sketch:

"I've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell!"

Roy Tucker
08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Alec Baldwin as Pete Schweaty

Joseph
08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Sanz claims those rumors are false today.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-sanzstillonsnl,0,6200816.story?coll=zap-tv-headlines

Johnny Footstool
08-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Tina Fey's reign as head writer included an overabundance of cutesy songs and Lindsey Lohan, who hosted 3 times (ugh) in 3 years.

Kenan Thompson was a very funny performer, but never got any decent material to work with. It's a shame he's going.

Parnell was also extremely talented, but I guess his time had come.

Of the new crop, Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig are both incredibly funny. Jason Sudekis, meh. Better than Seth Myers and Wil Forte, I guess.

minus5
08-24-2006, 04:41 PM
I really liked the year (1983?) that Billy Crystal, Martin Short and Christopher Guest were cast members. Guest & Crystal as the two nightwatchmen (Oh I hate when that happens!) and Short doing Ed Grimly.

Razor Shines
08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Currently, that would make Amy Poehler the star. She is, IMO, pure comedy. Losing Rachel Dratch and Tina Fey will hurt a lot. They were both really good.

Chris Parnell and Kenan Thompson were expendable. Kenan never was very funny, IMO. Parnell, while funny, had run out his welcome. Horatio Sanz was funny, IMO, in the beginning. He was better as a background guy instead of a main character, though, so his loss won't be too difficult to overcome.

The only other cast member I can think of besides Andy Samberg that is staying (besides Poehler and possibly Hammond) are Maya Rudolph and Jason Sudeikis. I'm indifferent about both of them, although I have a hard time seeing Sudeikis excelling in the Weekend Update spot.
They should hire her husband, Will Arnette (Gob Bluth, Arrested Development), to work on SNL. He is pure comedy.

My favorite character from SNL is one that Will Ferrell played but I've only seen it once, and I don't know what it is called. But he is on a desert island and he's campaigning for some kind of office. In the "commercial" he's making the tag line he repeats several times is (in the classic Ferrell screaming) "I'm gonna eat you!" If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a clip I'd love to see it again. It's not on either of the Best of Ferrell's.

paintmered
08-24-2006, 08:48 PM
http://www.filmsnobs.com/www/pics/peepers.jpg

RichRed
08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Gotta admit that was pretty good. How about Will Farrell's Robert Goulet?

Or Will Ferrell's Neil Diamond? Or Will Ferrell's Harry Carey? Or Will Ferrell's George W. Bush? His Goulet is absolutely hysterical though.

Martin Short's Ed Grimley and Eddie Murphy's Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood cracked me up as a youngster.

And Phil Hartman's Frankenstein and Caveman Lawyer.

Matt700wlw
08-25-2006, 03:55 PM
True, the show hasn't been good of late, but there have been some classics over time.

Me llamo Matt Foley, y yo soy un motivational speaker!

I think he may be mine too.....

http://paulduncan.org/files/matt_foley.jpg

Dom Heffner
08-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Too many to list.

Chris Walken's, "The Continental" and more cowbell record producer.

Alec Baldwin's Schweaty character

Any Will Farrell character.

This show is so irrelevant now. It staggers through each week, barely breathing, save one or two skits. 90 minutes is too much of an investment for one or two laughs and a musical act.

They really should axe the entire cast- Seth Myers and Will Forte are unwatchable.

The show has 13 "everyman" actors.

There is not one centerpiece- everyone is a supporting player, and they rarely use their most valuable weapons- Darrell Hammond and Fred Armison enough.

Instead, they let Seth and Will run amok with the most lame brain sketches.

Someone needs to tell Forte that not every character he plays should speak in that nasally whiney voice he infuses into it. When he impersonates George Bush, all I can hear is Will Forte.

To know that Seth Myers has been co-head writer the past few years is to wonder no more why the show has been so terrible. He simply isn't funny. He must write himself into all the sketches.

"I think I'll be Anderson Cooper this week," he probably tells himself. "I know I don't look or sound like him, but if we spray paint my hair grey and throw up a CNN graphic, maybe someone will laugh."

And now he is the sole head writer, which means we can expect more of his impersonations that aren't really impersonations in skits that aren't really as funny as they are semi-amusing.

Andy Samberg, the cast's latest "it" boy, is a one trick pony. He curls his lips and pretends he is a rapper. Wow, I wonder if Andy will be in another rap parody this week? When you see the heading for "An SNL Short," you can expect to see Samberg, lips curled, rapping something that was funny two weeks ago.

SNL needs a star, and I can't think of anyone who is strong enough to pull off the role in this cast. It's sort of sad to think that the show's last two biggest stars- Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon- were mostly featured on Weekend Update, which doesn't come on until after the musical guest- a little past midnight.

Lorne Michaels has slowly mixed in cast members and let a few go at a time so as to give the show more fluidity from one season to the next, but he hasn't put in anybody good for so long that we are doomed for another season of mediocre sketches.

The format of the show allows for brilliance, and we should expect it from time to time.

I find myself thinking, "You could do anything you wanted, and this is what you came up with? This was the best anybody had? An Anderson Cooper spoof?"

Note to the cast: There isn't anything funny about Anderson Cooper. Watch Darrell Hammond play on Bill O' Reilly and learn from it. You take a strong personality, find what is imitable about it, and play on it for laughs. You don't take someone like Cooper, who besides the prematurely gray hair has absolutely zero things about him that anybody can create a a caricature from.

Hammonds' Geraldo? Brilliant. Same goes for his Chris Matthews. It is evident that he studies his subjects: Anyone who watches Matthews knows that the guy is more interested in asking his next question than hearing the answer to the previous one. It's like he is firing a machine gun full of questions, jumping from subject to subject. He sort of yells at his guests politely, and Hammonds parodies this part of his personality to a tee.

Seth Myers doesn't imitate anybody, so much as he "plays" John Kerry, Cooper, and other politicians.

It's a world of difference.

Thank goodness for Robert Smigel, Hammond and Armison.

¡Ay Dios Mio!

IowaRed
08-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Lockbox-Strategerie

I love the "get off the shed" sketch as well and later "get on the bag"

The cheerleaders, Farrell doing Inside the Actor's Studios James Lipton, and Hammond and Farrell on Jeopardy

Gainesville Red
08-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Tracy Morgan as Brian Fellows. Wasn't a huge fan of Tracy Morgan, but when he played Brian Fellows I would cry laughing.

Whoever said Norm McDonald's Burt Reynolds is correct. It was excellent.

It really is a shame that SNL is such crap these days.

Johnny Footstool
08-26-2006, 02:49 AM
I love the "get off the shed" sketch as well and later "get on the bag"

Yes! That's the "screaming dad" character I was talking about.

Dom Heffner
08-26-2006, 10:56 AM
When Norm McDonald did Letterman or Larry King- both dead on.

Heath
08-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Wayne's World

Weekend Update with Dennis Miller.

Any skit that involved Phil Hartman and Jan Hooks as husband and wife.

Spartan Power!

Mike Myers as Linda Richman - especially the time when Roseanne and Madonna did a skit and Barbra showed up.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

RadfordVA
08-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Glenn Frey in the H is O.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70fQAVfNIk

RichRed
08-29-2006, 11:40 AM
When Norm McDonald did Letterman or Larry King- both dead on.

Norm's Bob Dole was pretty solid too. I think Norm is a very underrated impressionist, and comedian in general. He always made me laugh.

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Glenn Frey in the H is O.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70fQAVfNIk

Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for it for a while.

Letitbld
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Fred Garvin male prostitute

dabvu2498
08-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Fred Garvin male prostitute
What a great 1st post!

MaineRed
08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Some of my favorites:

The Chicago Superfans. "Ditka!"

Anything by Dana Carvey. Especially, Grumpy Old Man, Hans, Ross Perot, George Bush, Lyle the effeminate heterosexual, Johnny Carson, John McLaughlin, Dennis Miller, Casey Casem, Paul McCartney, Church Lady.

Harry Carray's Space Frontier.

Phil Hartman as Sinatra, Phil Donahue, Bill Clinton and Ed McMahon

Hannukah Harry.

Kevin Nealon's Subliminal man.

David Spade's Hollywood minute.

gitrdunn44
08-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I love Celebrity Jeopardy! French Stewart was classic!

MartyFan
08-30-2006, 03:47 PM
well...lets see here...this is so stinkin tough...

I guess if I had a gun to my head and had to pick one I'd say Bill Murray as the lounge singer...but then Billy Crystal would be right up there with the "Ooooh, I hate when that happens" guy...and of course if you mention that you gotta think about Norm MacDonald (WHO I THINK IS VERY FUNNY) and I can't not mention WIl Farrell, Phil Hartman, Molly Shannon, Martin Short, Gilda Radner, Colin Quinn and Cheri Oteri...Of course...Bill Murray as Todd or the Lounge Singer is nearly untouchable holy ground type stuff.

Yes, I am leaving the obvious answers off this post...I really likemost of the casting done for SNL.

fewfirstchoice
08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Will Ferrell as President Bush cracks me up.Also anything Chris Farley played was funny as could be,he is gone way to soon.Especially when he was a chip and dale stripper with Patrick Swazy(spelling).

Dom Heffner
08-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Dana Carvey's George Michael.

"Look at my butt! Look at it! You can't take you eyes off of it, can you?"

deltachi8
08-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Norm McDonald hosting the news...

Christopher Guest and Martin Short in the Male Synchronized Swimming bit ("I can't swim")

Phil Hartman's Admiral James Stockdale.

And one that I havent seen in years but just cracked me up - Gary Kroeger working on his Walter Mondale impression in 1984 ("Thanks alot mr. 13 electoral college votes")

Chip R
08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
One that was on once, much like the Synchronized Swimming piece, was Billy Crystal and Chris Guest as old Negro League ballplayers reminiscing about when they played. The makeup was so good you couldn't hardly tell it was them. They'd exaggerate things that happened when they played and told about a time when they had "Smelt Night" where everyone in attendance received some fish. It was a filmed piece and they had Yogi Berra in there saying, "Not only were they great ballplayers but they had Smelt Night." :lol:

deltachi8
08-31-2006, 04:13 PM
One that was on once, much like the Synchronized Swimming piece, was Billy Crystal and Chris Guest as old Negro League ballplayers reminiscing about when they played. The makeup was so good you couldn't hardly tell it was them. They'd exaggerate things that happened when they played and told about a time when they had "Smelt Night" where everyone in attendance received some fish. It was a filmed piece and they had Yogi Berra in there saying, "Not only were they great ballplayers but they had Smelt Night." :lol:

I remember that one, Chip - it was brilliant. Also remember Christopher Guest and the magic mat film he did. I always felt that cast was underrated as it came right after the Eddie Murphy led ones.

minus5
08-31-2006, 04:15 PM
I wish I had the Negro League bit on DVD. I loved it. That was about my favorite year for SNL. I'm going to have to see if they have the best of that year on DVD (was it '83?)

tomred
09-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I hate to say my age but John B as samurai anything and Buck Henry was great and Steve Martin and Dan Acyord as two wild and crazy guys

Chip R
09-01-2006, 12:47 AM
I wish I had the Negro League bit on DVD. I loved it. That was about my favorite year for SNL. I'm going to have to see if they have the best of that year on DVD (was it '83?)

It was 83 84, I do believe. It was the only year Crystal was on so it should not be hard to find. I wonder if it is on You Tube. I believe Bob Uecker was the host. The actual name of it was Rabbit and the King. I am pretty sure I have most of that film on a videotape. I taped all kinds of stuff like that then.

Johnny Footstool
09-01-2006, 12:56 AM
I couldn't find it on YouTube.

GAC
09-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Back in the old days, Gilda Radner as Roseanne Rosannadanna and Emily Littela.

She and Bill Murray were good in their Todd and Lisa sketches.

It's been that long since I have watched the show. I don't think you could get any better then the original cast of Chase, Akyroyd, Belushi, Curtain, Radner.

The very first show, hosted by George Carlin, was simply hilarious.

Favorite characters?

Akyroyd and Martin - The Festrunk Brothers "Two Wild and Crazy Guys"

Point/CounterPoint with Jane Curtain and Dan Akroyd.....

"Jane, you malinformed, misguided, ignorant ****." :lol:

One of the funniest is Richard Pryor being interviewed for a janitor's position endures a word association quiz with the Human Resources officer (Chevy Chase), and it quickly turns ugly....

Interviewer: Alright, Mr. Wilson, you've done just fine on the Rorshact.. your papers are in good order.. your file's fine.. no difficulties with your motor skills.. And I think you're probably ready for this job. We've got one more psychological test we always do here. It's just a Word Association. I'll throw you out a few words - anything that comes to your mind, just throw back at me, okay? It's kind of an arbitrary thing. Like, if I say "dog", you'd say..?

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Tree". [ nods head, prepares the test papers ] "Dog".

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Fast".

Mr. Wilson: "Slow".

Interviewer: "Rain".

Mr. Wilson: "Snow".

Interviewer: "White".

Mr. Wilson: "Black".

Interviewer: "Bean".

Mr. Wilson: "Pod".

Interviewer: [ casually ] "Negro".

Mr. Wilson: "Whitey".

Interviewer: "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: [ silent, sure he didn't hear what he thinks he heard ] What'd you say?

Interviewer: [ repeating ] "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: "Ofay".

Interviewer: "Colored".

Mr. Wilson: "Redneck".

Interviewer: "Junglebunny".

Mr. Wilson: [ starting to get angry ] "Peckerwood!"

Interviewer: "Burrhead".

Mr. Wilson: [ defensive ] "Cracker!"

Interviewer: [ aggressive ] "Spearchucker".

Mr. Wilson: "White trash!"

Interviewer: "Jungle Bunny!"

Mr. Wilson: [ upset ] "Honky!"

Interviewer: "Spade!

Mr. Wilson: [ really upset ] "Honky Honky!"

Interviewer: [ relentless ] "******"

Mr. Wilson: [ immediate ] "Dead honky!" [ face starts to flinch ]

Interviewer: [ quickly wraps the interview up ] Okay, Mr. Wilson, I think you're qualified for this job. How about a starting salary of $5,000?

Mr. Wilson: Your momma!

Interviewer: [ fumbling ] Uh.. $7,500 a year?

Mr. Wilson: Your grandmomma!

Interviewer: [ desperate ] $15,000, Mr. Wilson. You'll be the highest paid janitor in America. Just, don't.. don't hurt me, please..

Mr. Wilson: Okay.

Interviewer: [ relieved ] Okay.

Mr. Wilson: You want me to start now?

Interviewer: Oh, no, no.. that's alright. I'll clean all this up. Take a couple of weeks off, you look tired.