PDA

View Full Version : You have to be kidding me! This is just awful!

jesusfan
08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
They should be very ashamed of themselves, that's just low!

www.theonion.com/content/node/52040

Ken Griffey Jr. Diagnosed With Hamstring Cancer
August 24, 2006 | Onion Sports

CINCINNATI—Just days after the Reds centerfielder learned that his father Ken Sr. has prostate cancer and his mother Birdie would be undergoing surgery for colon cancer, a routine medical checkup Tuesday resulted in more bad news for Ken Griffey Jr., as doctors found a large malignant tumor on his right semitendinosus hamstring muscle. "This is the rarest and deadliest form of hamstring cancer," Reds trainer Mark Mann said. "The only way to eradicate the cancer is to go in and slice the three hamstring muscles completely in half and permanently remove them—as well as the three titanium screws holding them in place—from his leg." Next Wednesday, Griffey Jr. and Griffey Sr. are expected to become the first father-son duo to undergo chemotherapy together.

reds44
08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
That isn't even the least bit funny.

Reds4Life
08-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Disgusting, and not funny at all. :thumbdown

Caseyfan21
08-24-2006, 07:40 PM
That's just sick. That's way past crossing the line. I can't believe they would try to make fun of a guy who has had 2 parents become sick in the past month.

BurnYrHouseDown
08-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I usually like the Onion--but this is way, way, way out of line.

steig
08-24-2006, 07:42 PM
This isn't funny. Cancer isn't something to be joked about and I as a person dealing with the possibility of cancer am offended.

GridironGrace
08-24-2006, 07:44 PM
You dont poke fun at cancer.
I lost my Father in Jan. to cancer.. and frankly i wouldnt mind one bit if the ppl who came up with that crap and wrote it.. than had the gall to post it online should be shot

JEA
08-24-2006, 07:51 PM
I am usually the last person to say someone went too far or crossed a line. Words can't physically hurt anyone, so I don't care about how far people try to stretch their comedic boundaries, even if they fail miserably. I don't overreact and push my beliefs on anyone else. I don't get dramatic and act horrified to make my point.

With that being said, this is one of the most offensive and insensitive things I've ever read.

I used to love The Onion. But they just proved how arrogant and smug they've become with their success. And the brow just went from high to low.

How much longer till they're smashing watermelons with sledge hammers?

Matt700wlw
08-24-2006, 07:58 PM
That's just wrong.

redsfan30
08-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Agree with all the above comments.

cjs07484
08-24-2006, 08:02 PM
why did you even post this.. that is tasteless and inhumane

cincrazy
08-24-2006, 08:07 PM
What an awful, disgusting piece. I can't even find the words to describe how I feel.

keeganbrick
08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Wow, I think I am done reading the things they put on that website after this disgrace. This is really pathetic.

cincrazy
08-24-2006, 08:16 PM
I emailed "business@theonion.com" Not sure if that email is going to the right person, but I completely lit into them. I wish someone else in the national media would call attention to this. I don't even think an apology would be enough though.

jamess697
08-24-2006, 08:17 PM
That's low and repulsive!

Wyatt Earp
08-24-2006, 08:47 PM
They just lost a reader.

paintmered
08-24-2006, 08:51 PM
They just lost a reader.

Make that two.

:thumbdown

gilpdawg
08-24-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm a regular reader of the Onion, and I tell ya, that's a little bit much. Now, if both his parents hadn't just got sick, then joking about something like "hamstring cancer" would be hilarious, but come on guys, wrong time, wrong place.

kyred14
08-24-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm about speechless. That's beyond low. Disgusting. I better stop before I write something I shouldn't.

Tom Servo
08-24-2006, 08:56 PM
I'd have to echo some sentiments here. I generally find the Onion funny, but I really don't see anything in the article I could catergorize as funny or clever, just dumb and inappropriate.

Falls City Beer
08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
It's doubly bad: not only insulting, but not even humorous. If you're going to go all the way with a comic schtick, make it funny. Instead, it's just dumb.

MartyFan
08-24-2006, 09:42 PM
boooooooooooooooooooo

hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

redlegs7089
08-24-2006, 09:51 PM
wow what is this website, i almost had a heart attack thinkn it was real.

guttle11
08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
wow what is this website, i almost had a heart attack thinkn it was real.

It's satirical news site. It's usually chuckle inducing at the least, but I see no reason to read it ever again.

That's just plain disturbing. Those writers have serious issues if they find that funny.

mth123
08-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Never read it. Never will now.

lo ryder
08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
I never heard of The Onion until now, this is pathetic. These people should get off their butts and make a real living. Guess I'm getting old. This is one of the most pitiful things I have seen for quite a while.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm offended that they produced such an unfunny article. I think you can joke about anything as long as you do it well, but this article is probably the weakest writing I've ever seen in the Onion.

Bob Borkowski
08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm offended that they produced such an unfunny article. I think you can joke about anything as long as you do it well, but this article is probably the weakest writing I've ever seen in the Onion.

So you're saying that the topic of the piece was fine, but the writing was poor.

Wow.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2006, 09:44 AM
So you're saying that the topic of the piece was fine, but the writing was poor.

Wow.

I'm saying that the whole thing was very badly done. It's possible to make light of any situation if you do it correctly, with the appropriate sensitivity and a delicate touch, but these guys failed miserably.

registerthis
08-25-2006, 09:46 AM
It's doubly bad: not only insulting, but not even humorous. If you're going to go all the way with a comic schtick, make it funny. Instead, it's just dumb.

"You're offended because you're Jewish?"
"No, I'm offended as a comedian."

registerthis
08-25-2006, 09:47 AM
I never heard of The Onion until now, this is pathetic. These people should get off their butts and make a real living.

The Onion typically provides some of the funniest and satirical pieces you'll ever see. The people at the Onion work very hard at what they do.

That being said, this piece just sucked.

registerthis
08-25-2006, 09:49 AM

We'll laugh at anything until it hits too close to home, and then it "crosses the line" and isn't funny anymore.

Like Johnny said, there's nothing that should be off-topic for humor. Israel, after all, held a Holocaust cartoon competition. They key is to do it appropriately--that's where the Onion failed.

MartyFan
08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
We'll laugh at anything until it hits too close to home, and then it "crosses the line" and isn't funny anymore.

Like Johnny said, there's nothing that should be off-topic for humor. Israel, after all, held a Holocaust cartoon competition. They key is to do it appropriately--that's where the Onion failed.

No...they did not.

That was in Iran and they had over 1200 submissions which are now in a museum that boast the holocaust never happened.

SICK!

Hap
08-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I also lost my father to cancer. Some things cannot be joked about. Anyone who has been through that experience knows what I mean.

TeamSelig
08-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Anyone think a Non-Reds fan might find this a little funny?? I can see where the "humor" is coming from, but I agree that its pretty sick.

westofyou
08-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Anyone think a Non-Reds fan might find this a little funny?? I can see where the "humor" is coming from, but I agree that its pretty sick.
Yep, imagine the chuckles here if it somehow involved Bonds (a regular basbeall whipping boy in these parts)

Satire is supposed to be a sharp knife, this one's as dull as a butter knife, that said The Onion is a crack-up 90% of the time, but even the best comedy sometimes fails horribly for most people.

UKFlounder
08-25-2006, 10:13 AM

I think only anyone who did not know of the illnesses his parents are now battling could find this funny. Perhaps a year or two ago when he was on the DL, this might have been worth a chuckle (if anything involving cancer, real or imagined) can.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't think anyone would see much of a joke in that article. Even objectively, it sucks.

UKFlounder
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Yep, imagine the chuckles here if it somehow involved Bonds (a regular basbeall whipping boy in these parts)

Perhaps I'm just too naive, but I don't know that anybody would laugh at an article involving Bonds having cancer, after his dad died of it. At least I hope nobody would, though I guess nothing should surprise me.

Cancer is just not a good subject for humor, especially in situations like these.

registerthis
08-25-2006, 10:19 AM
No...they did not.

Yes...they did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Anti-Semitic_Cartoons_Contest

westofyou
08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Cancer is just not a good subject for humor, especially in situations like these.
I agree, however the trend of snarky journalism and needle pointing to be the funniest had led us down this current path, pick up a weekly in any major city and read the attempts of all the writers to be the most clever person in the room.

I for one am not surprised by it, annoyed yes, disgusted yes, but not surprised at all.

smith288
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Yea, im usually a fan of the Onion but that A) isnt humorous B)taking advantage of the Griffey family's serious health concerns

Horrible.

smith288
08-25-2006, 10:55 AM
I emailed editorial@theonion.com Everyone should.

reds1869
08-25-2006, 11:35 AM
I love The Onion, but that article was disgusting.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I agree, however the trend of snarky journalism and needle pointing to be the funniest had led us down this current path, pick up a weekly in any major city and read the attempts of all the writers to be the most clever person in the room.

I for one am not surprised by it, annoyed yes, disgusted yes, but not surprised at all.

I agree that the trend is there, but I don't think The Onion and this article in particular are an indictment of journalism in general.

While it's true that you can't throw a rock without hitting a journalist who fancies him/herself the next Jon Stewart, this article stinks on it's own, independent of that trend. It's simply pushing outrageousness in place of real, thoughtful humor.