PDA

View Full Version : Jim Day

Blitz Dorsey
08-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if he was the full time PBP announcer on FSN? Could use some polish, but was very good tonight in just his second game ever as a MLB play-by-play man. He is already better than Grande, which of course isn't saying much.

What say ye?

nmculbreth
08-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if he was the full time PBP announcer on FSN? Could use some polish, but was very good tonight in just his second game ever as a MLB play-by-play man. He is already better than Grande, which of course isn't saying much.

What say ye?

Without a doubt Jim Day > George Grande.

EKURed
08-25-2006, 01:28 AM
I thought he was really, really good. I don't know if it was because he really was that good, or was it because I was comparing him to Grande? Nonetheless, it was really an enjoyable game to watch.

Blitz Dorsey
08-25-2006, 01:32 AM
I know, it's like the broadcaster version of an optical illusion. Is he really that good, or just good comparitively? He just has an easy-going personality, yet it still very informative. They really need to get him off the pre and post game shows and into the booth full time. Isn't it time for Grande to go back to Sportscenter? Or maybe ESPNews?

Big Klu
08-25-2006, 01:38 AM
I thought JD did a very nice job tonight, and Chris really worked well with him, too.

TOBTTReds
08-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Chris was great tonight. The shackles came off with GG out of there. JD knew his role and did it well.

jhiller21
08-25-2006, 02:21 AM
I was very impressed with Jim Day's PBP out there tonight, I've heard him in the past and he has really improved despite not having a chance to call any games.

I would take him over GG or Picoro any day.

Unassisted
08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
I am bummed that I didn't get to hear my old college classmate do PBP. MLB.TV used the Giants' feed last night. :(

I guess that means Griffey didn't scamper home and you weren't expected to know anyone's story.

Razor Shines
08-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I am bummed that I didn't get to hear my old college classmate do PBP. MLB.TV used the Giants' feed last night. :(

I guess that means Griffey didn't scamper home and you weren't expected to know anyone's story.
And there weren't nearly as many guys that "blooped one" somewhere.

Joseph
08-25-2006, 09:56 AM

And every fly ball to shallow RF didn't get George sounding like the space shuttle had just launched.

bucknutdet
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
I am with you guys, GG is really not very good. Why do the Reds keep his tired old bones around? JD did a pretty good job from what I heard. I also like the work C Welsh does.

RedsFan75
08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
I was impressesd with him as PBP too. I have always thought his pre/post game stuff was a little over-the-top and some what cheesy, but the PBP was very good.

smith288
08-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Day had a really good "fans" perspective feeling in his play by play. Asking Welsh about things fans really would like to know. He does sometimes sound like a total boob but he isnt repetitive and I don't hear his fawning over the Cards in the most innapropriate of times.

jfar23
08-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I was impressesd with him as PBP too. I have always thought his pre/post game stuff was a little over-the-top and some what cheesy, but the PBP was very good.
I agree on both accounts. It was a breath of fresh air at least from GG.

Doc. Scott
08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't particularly like Jim Day, either, but anyone this side of a bonobo does a better job than Grande.

Heath
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
The Reds were never on the smiling side of the scoreboard last night - and they STILL WON.

Props to Jim Day - Nice work dude.

westofyou
08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't particularly like Jim Day, either, but anyone this side of a bonobo does a better job than Grande.

Let's not sell bonobos short.

Bonobo's are way smart.. I know I met Kanzi, that's one smart ape.

savafan
08-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I too was very impressed with Jim Day...quite the breath of fresh air

08-25-2006, 02:24 PM
He was a bit cheesy, but I think if he did this on a regular basis he would improve. For a fill in, he was great, in fact, he is alot better than alot of other guys I hear on the EI package.

ITHIKABAND
08-25-2006, 02:41 PM
I was thinking the very same thing last night. I came to post about it but was beat to the punch. I think someone should do a poll on Day Vs Grande. Jim day was 100 times better the guy is a true reds fan and you could tell the excitement he was feelling during the game. He also corrected Welsh a couple times and he pronounced everyones name right. Grand still doesnt know how to pronounce Denorfia's name. All in all I totally agree. If we're gonna have virtually ever game on Tv next year we need Day in there. Now all we need to figure out is who to flood emails with about removing Grande for Day?

justincredible
08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
I never really liked Jim Day cause he seemed like, as smith288 said,a boob. I did enjoy him as a PBP guy last night as he was a major upgrade over Grande. I've never really minded Welsh but Grande has always drove me nuts with his little chuckle and his giant man-crush on Pujols.

smith288
08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I never really liked Jim Day cause he seemed like, as smith288 said,a boob. I did enjoy him as a PBP guy last night as he was a major upgrade over Grande. I've never really minded Welsh but Grande has always drove me nuts with his little chuckle and his giant man-crush on Pujols.
That's "Prince Albert" to you Mr.

goodwilly98
08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
've never really minded Welsh but Grande has always drove me nuts with his little chuckle and his giant man-crush on Pujols.

You mean "Prince" Albert?? :rolleyes:

justincredible
08-25-2006, 03:03 PM
If Grande were running things he would be King Albert and Grande would be his ever grateful man servant.

Blitz Dorsey
08-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Wow, I appreciate the responses. Hopefully Bob C reads this board!

Funny how the Steve Stewart news is such a big deal, but honestly the TV situation is MUCH more important from my perspective since I watch about 110 games on TV, 50 on radio, and miss maybe two games per year max due to weddings and other cruelties.

If this small sample size of Reds fans all feel the same way (Day > Grande) the Reds front office should do something about it. Or maybe it's completely FSN's call. Actually, I bet they collaborate and come up with candidates together. I really don't care how they do it, just get rid of Grande and put Jim Day in the booth!