PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bray's Disappearance

Billy Bates
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Up until now I have been a reader only, but I have been curious about Narron's bullpen usage (as has everyone else on here) and feel the need to finally post. Bill Bray was a workhorse out of the pen after the trade initally, but in the past two weeks he has only been used in two losses (one to Hou, one to Pit). Is his arm fatigued, is he injured, or has he just fallen out of favor lately with Narron?

SultanOfSwing
08-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I believe he was getting a little tired, but not too much. I think Narron is looking ahead. He realizes how good Bray is and is resting him so he can be effective later when we need him most. And too, the other relievers have been doing well of late (except Cormier), allowing Narron the flexibility. I don't think it is anything more than that. He definitely has the nastiest stuff in the 'pen.

ol'Sparky
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
this guy is gonna explode this weekend, he's resting !! :cool:

Sea Ray
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
He seems to be going through a dead arm period where hes lost some life on his fastball. The Angry Guys on 1530 were talking about it this morning. I think David Weathers went through such a period in June and after some rest he's back. Let's hope Bray does the same

ol'Sparky
08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
He's gonna be a nasty boy one day !! :cool:

Cicero
08-25-2006, 12:43 PM
At what point does rest run into rust? I would at least like to see him get an inning or two every few days to stay sharp.

ol'Sparky
08-25-2006, 12:48 PM
At what point does rest run into rust? I would at least like to see him get an inning or two every few days to stay sharp.

He'll be all over the place this weekend !! :thumbup:

flyer85
08-25-2006, 12:58 PM
He isn't nearly veteran enough at this point.

TeamBoone
08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Hopefully, when Bill Bray is rested they'll do the same thing for Todd Coffey.

I really do thing JN is looking long and hard at the big picture over the next month... and during September he'll be looking at the big picture involving the playoffs (I hope).

I know he's been thinking about the rotation:

TAKING THE FIFTH: Narron has been penciling in possible pitching rotations for September.

The Reds have three off days in the month - the seventh, 11th and 21st.

"I've got three different scenarios," he said. "It looks like the fifth guy will get four starts."

Because they will start on Sept. 1 and 2, Bronson Arroyo and Kyle Lohse could get as many as six September starts by going on three days' rest once.

Both have pitched well in September in their careers. Arroyo is 8-3 with a 4.17 ERA; Lohse is 7-5 with 4.35 ERA.

STILL FIFTH: Chris Michalak, currently the fifth starter, earned another start with his 61/3-inning, two-run outing Wednesday.

Michalak is scheduled to start Monday in the series opener with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"He will, unless something happens," Narron said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060825/SPT04/608250449/1071

Flinging it with four? Current fifth starter Chris Michalak is scheduled to make his next start Monday at Los Angeles. With more scheduled off-days coming in September, the Reds are contemplating a shift to a four-man rotation next month and would skip the fifth spot.

"We'd have to pitch some guys on three days [rest]," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "I've got it written down here in three different scenarios. In September, the fifth guy would get four [starts]."

One of those starts for the fifth man could come on the regular season's final day, Oct. 1 at Pittsburgh, which could be crucial if the playoff race goes down to the wire.

If the Reds make the postseason, Narron said he expected to use a four-man rotation.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060824&content_id=1627311&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

ITHIKABAND
08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
I think the reason we've seen less of Bray lately is because Scott Shoenweiss has looked incredible in the 4 or so innings hes pitched I think untill we see Shoenweiss get hit we're not gonna see Bray nearly as much. So far Ive loved what I've seen from Shoenweiss. Looks like Krivsky hit gold with Shoenweiss and Lohse.. Lets hope it continues..