PDA

View Full Version : Worst Baseball Ballpark Experience

Ltlabner
08-25-2006, 02:50 PM
What is your worst baseball ballpark experience?

Perhaps someone spilled a beer on you?

You asked a girl to marry you while on the jumbo-tron and she ran off crying?

Your team lost and you locked your keys in the car?

You got mugged by that dude with the weird hat and the clarenet after the game?

You fell out of the stands while trying to catch a foul ball?

You got the number of one of the MDX girls only to get things mixed up and end up on a date with DMX ?

Anyway, whatever it is, what is your all-time worst ballpark experience?

smith288
08-25-2006, 02:59 PM
10 yrs old, me and a friend of mine were kicked out of Riverfront for trying to get into the box seats after a loooong rain delay during a pirates double header. It had to be darn near 11pm and they kcked two juveniles out of the stadium without notifying my parents. HORRIBLE experience.

Red in Chicago
08-25-2006, 03:05 PM
most of my bad ballpark experiences have revolved around food...several years ago while at a white sox game, i ordered a sandwich...i was about halfway through it when i realized that the bottom bun was moldy...i almost threw up on the spot...

earlier this year in cincinnati, i ordered a veggie dog, only to be given a "real" hotdog...i didn't take it back, just threw it away...i then went to get a piece of cheese pizza, which was so greasy, i knew i couldn't dare eat it and still be able to sit in my seat the entire game...mother nature would have been calling early and often ;)

about three years ago, i took my dad and my best friend to see the reds play the cubs at wrigley...there were pigeons everywhere up in the overhead rafters...lets just say that pearl harbor had nothing on these pigeons...both my father and my friend got hit several times...somehow i dodged them, so it was funny for me, but not them...they were very ticked off:evil:

TOBTTReds
08-25-2006, 03:05 PM
10 yrs old, me and a friend of mine were kicked out of Riverfront for trying to get into the box seats after a loooong rain delay during a pirates double header. It had to be darn near 11pm and they kcked two juveniles out of the stadium without notifying my parents. HORRIBLE experience.

That sounds bad. I haven't had many bad ones.

This year though, I had two bad experiences in the same game. One was with the LaRosa's people completely being inconsiderate and running out of products yet still serving things half-made. Like a hoagy, with no pizza sauce. After he gave it to me, he was just like, "sorry, we ran out of sauce and chips." I am too nice to demand my money back and hand the sandwhich back to him.

Then my gf and I go to our seats and sit next to two people with the worst BO ever. I almost gagged. Slap on some deoderant people, come on. We were stuck in a big section with people with bad BO and no way out. It was a bobble head day so there weren't many other places to go and we had sweet tickets. That's probably it. I think it was July 28 this year.

We won though, which is all that matters.

BurnYrHouseDown
08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
1. At the Reds/Indians series two years ago my wife (who was still just my girlfriend) and me were sitting next to some young college guys, and a couple of rows behind another tall, muscular college guy wearing a lame cowboy hat. The dude with the cowboy hat kept trying to act the big man on campus and get the crowd into it and the drunk kids next to us kept trying to/almost starting fights with this kid and we were stuck in the middle. Throw onto that some lewd things that the drunks were saying to my wife occasionally (nothing horrid, but enough that some courtrooms might call it sexual harrassment, and enough to make her uncomfortable) and of course, a complete lack of event staff anywhere in sight. It was an awful night.

2. This one is a bit more delicate so let me preface it by saying that I am in full support of the men and women in our armed forces and therefore this has NOTHING to do with politics. But the Datyon Dragons do this Armed Services appreciation night and it's awful. I mean, it's good for the families of those serving and all, but as a ticket buyer who wasn't informed when buying the ticket it was ridiculous. Here's why--they pack the game full of so much ceremony that TWO HOURS after the start of the game, we were only at the bottom of the 4th inning--and it was a low scoring game. So, the problem isn't that the Armed Forces were being honored--I mean, they could've been honoring anything, and to drag out the game and make everybody sit through ceremony after ceremony was ludicrous. We left during the fifth inning having sat there long enough to have seen most of the game on a regular night. All i'm saying is, if they're going to do stuff like that, they should at least let fans know when they're buying tickets.

so nothing too awful. but, you know.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Nothing is jogging my memory. I'd go with this year's Opening Day. One of the most miserable games weather wise. Just horrid. Hassle of going through the metal detectors, feeling like I was living in a police state with sharpshooters on the roof for a guy to throw out a ball I didn't care to see. And we got our butts whipped and it felt like it was going to be a long long long season.

[Note: I'm not looking to make this a political thing - just my honest feelings about what made this probably my worst game]

justincredible
08-25-2006, 03:09 PM
^^Ouch! I bet your parents were none to pleased.

I don't really have a bad one. I guess the worst one was the last year of Riverfront/Cinergy. My girlfriend and I were sitting in the blue seat cause it was college night and they were cheap. It was a game against the Pirates and there was a long rain delay which we stayed for. By the time the game resumed there was hardly anybody left near us. Not too long after they got out the big air canons and were shooting out what I was hoping was t-shirts or something. After catching the prize with no competition it turned out to be a roast beef sandwhich or something. The force from the air canon cause it to mush all up and the meat and the bun kinda fused together so I didn't eat it.

Like I said, it wasn't a bad experience, I was just perturbed I couldn't eat the sandwhich.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-25-2006, 03:10 PM
The worst experience I've had at a ballpark was during a Columbus Clippers game. A young girl only a few rows in front of me was hit in the head with a line drive down the 3rd base side of the line. The game actually paused for a while as the medical staff made its way to her. Just one of those things you never like to see.

My worst experience at any event was at a WWF wrestling pay per view when I was probably 12 or so. My brother took me and his friend came along. About a quarter of the way through his friend was plastered and ended up throwing up on the guy in the row in front of us. Security took him out and my brother asked the lady in the next seats over to keep and eye on me while he took care of his friend. He took him out to the car and gave him the keys so he could keep the heat on since it was winter. When the show was finished me and my brother made our way out to the car where we see his friend standing outside the car in the freezing cold. Well, he locked the keys in the car because he fell asleep and the battery died since he left it on. So we were there for probably an hour and a half until my mom could pick us all up.

BurnYrHouseDown
08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
My worst experience at any event was at a WWF wrestling pay per view when I was probably 12 or so. My brother took me and his friend came along. About a quarter of the way through his friend was plastered and ended up throwing up on the guy in the row in front of us. Security took him out and my brother asked the lady in the next seats over to keep and eye on me while he took care of his friend. He took him out to the car and gave him the keys so he could keep the heat on since it was winter. When the show was finished me and my brother made our way out to the car where we see his friend standing outside the car in the freezing cold. Well, he locked the keys in the car because he fell asleep and the battery died since he left it on. So we were there for probably an hour and a half until my mom could pick us all up.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of a time when I was about 12 or 13 and I was leaving a Dayton Bombers game and, for some reason I was wearing shorts and this kid who was with us saw some dude urinating, and was really upset that he saw the man's...erm...genitalia, so as I'm climbing into my friend's parents van this other friend pukes all over the back of my legs.

I just stood there, shaking with disgust as my friend's parents wiped off my legs with an old t-shirt.

Ltlabner
08-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I think my worst was the first time I took a customer to opening day. It was my first opening day so needless to say I was pretty excited.

I wanted to take the customer out for a nice late breakfast/lunch and then zip down to the stadium. Instead he wanted to eat at the park. I don't like eating from the concession stands but, he is the customer. The best parking we could get was about 8 blocks from the stadium. Not a big deal...we're going to opening day right? Of course, I spilt food all over myself the second we got our food.

I don't remember who we played but it was extremely cold and rainy so I was 1/2 frozen. There was a rain delay of some length so there wasn't much to do but hang around for a while. The customer was a nice guy so we chatted till they started up again. I casually mentioned to the customer that if he wanted to leave early he wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. He wanted to stay till the bitter end. But hey, I'm at opening day right?

Well the game let out right about 5pm. By the time the game ended, we walked back to the parking garage, we got stuck in rush hour + post game traffic. By the time I got him back to his office and got home it was pushing 7pm.

So I was cold, wet and tired. That was definatley not the vision of opening day that I had in my mind.

westofyou
08-25-2006, 03:35 PM
That would be 1969 Lions vs the Vikings on Thanksgiving, cold as it can get, snow and a 27-0 loss... just misrable.

Then the ice bowl in 1981

No one said "baseball"

Ltlabner
08-25-2006, 03:38 PM
No one said "baseball"

Sorry, to me "ballpark" means baseball. So I just edited things to clear it up a bit :)

But those sound like horrible football experiences.

BuckWoody
08-25-2006, 03:57 PM
If you open it up for football, then I had a miserable experience at a game once...and it lasted from 1991-2002. :cry:

I've never had too many bad times at the old ballyard but I'd have to say that the Opening Day at Riverfront when John McSherry died has to be at the top of my list.

Yachtzee
08-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Opening Day - John McSherry

On the football side - My dad took us to a Browns-Buccaneers game in the '80s. It was December at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. We had seats in the upper deck, open end of the stadium with the wind coming in off the lake. My dad got us up to leave in the 3rd quarter for fear that we might come down with hypothermia.

Roy Tucker
08-25-2006, 04:20 PM
It wasn't exactly *at* the ballpark but....

Went down to Riverfront in the late 70's for a doubleheader against the Dodgers around Memorial Day. I think the first game started at 1 PM. Big bright blue sunny day, temps in the low 80's, just a beautiful day.

In those days, you could buy 64 oz. cups of Hudepohl for about $2. About 5 cans of beer. I probably drank like 4-5 of these during the doubleheader (I lost track after a while). Plus I took my shirt off at the beginning of the first game and left it off for the whole doubleheader. I got completely, royally, and totally sloshed. I haven't the foggiest who won or lost or anything about the games. Probably made an idiot out of myself. My friends took my semi-conscious body home, fished my keys out of my pocket, and dumped me into my apartment. Where I layed all night, getting up a time or two to puke.

I woke up with a.) the worst hangover I've ever had, and b.) one of the worst sunburns I've ever had.

I should have been made to walk around with a sign saying "I'm Stupid" for the next month.

LincolnparkRed
08-25-2006, 04:26 PM
2001 Comiskey Park Sunday game vs the Tigers. It was a company outing with my first job and as one of the "city guys" in my company I always felt it was my duty to bring a date. I tabbed one of my friends from college and off we went. Now if you have never been to the Cell you may not know that there is a picnic area next to the bullpen bar. Basically it is a big open room with tables you probably last saw in your high school cafeteria, the bonus is you have free food and beer while you are there, the bad news is free food and beer. We proceed to drink until they kick us out at first pitch then go to our seats in right, which on a June day game are actually in the shade which can still be quite cold. We stay in our seats and watch the game for a few innings before heading to the bullpen bar. We stay there for the wait looks like a romp by the sox from what I remember. Well the Tigers get 3 or 4 in the ninth so it's extras, well the bullpen bar doesn't have last call until after the game ends so we keep drinking. In about the 15th Konerko hits one out to win and then the problems start.

I had been drinking Blue Moon and every time I got one I would toss the orange slice in the trash as I was headed back to our table. Well the last time I did it this bouncer grabs ahold of my arm and tells me his is kicking me out. "For what"? I say, he proceeds to tell me that I threw the orange slice at the bartender, not true but I guess he didn't see it that way. Well I start becoming very belligerent which leads to the manager coming out to the enterance and as I insult the bouncer with every clever insult I can imagine. They tell me that they are now kicking me out for being "overserved" and if I don't quit making a scene they will get one of the cops working in the park. I tell them they are both morons and the cops will laugh at them for trying to kick me out for throwing an orange slice that didn't hit anyone. They tell me the cops will kick me out for public intox. At this point I know I am beaten so I get my friend and we leave. Well leaving park from the bullpen bar puts you at the furthest part of the stadium from the El which was the way we came. So genius that I am decides to cut through the back which includes the players lot and other employee parking. I help my friend under then fence but then I decide to hop over. On the way down I catch my arm and rip through my jacket so now I am walking through the players lot with a bleeding arm drunk out of my mind. We come upon real cops who are guarding the lot or at least standing around it. They threaten to arrest me for climbing the fence but my friend basically pleads with them to let me go home so I can pass out. They agree and I proceed to ride home bleeding and worrying about the tetnus I am sure to have contracted. Well needless to say this episode ruined any chance I had of dating my friend although I did not contract tetnus or lockjaw so that's a plus.

reds1869
08-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Opening Day 2006 was one of the worst experiences of my entire life, not just at a ballpark. Overall I haven't had too many bad ones, though I can't say I particularly enjoyed my trip to Tiger Stadium. Histrorical or not, the neighborhood stunk and I had to listen to my gf at the time go on and on about Travis Fryman's butt. Oh, and it was in Detroit.

westofyou
08-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Histrorical or not, the neighborhood stunk

You think it stunk then, you should have hit it in 68-73... lock your doors baby.

redsfan30
08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Opening Day 2006. It took me four days to warm back up.

Red in Chicago
08-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Opening Day 2006. It took me four days to warm back up.

that was an extremely cold day, wasn't it!!! me and my dad got to the park very early, worried about the extra security...we got through that in about 10 minutes, so we had a few hours to kill...we were very underdressed for the day...that was my very first opening day ever, so i still had a good time

Doc. Scott
08-25-2006, 07:17 PM
It wasn't exactly *at* the ballpark but....

Went down to Riverfront in the late 70's for a doubleheader against the Dodgers around Memorial Day. I think the first game started at 1 PM. Big bright blue sunny day, temps in the low 80's, just a beautiful day.

In those days, you could buy 64 oz. cups of Hudepohl for about $2. About 5 cans of beer. I probably drank like 4-5 of these during the doubleheader (I lost track after a while). Plus I took my shirt off at the beginning of the first game and left it off for the whole doubleheader. I got completely, royally, and totally sloshed. I haven't the foggiest who won or lost or anything about the games. Probably made an idiot out of myself. My friends took my semi-conscious body home, fished my keys out of my pocket, and dumped me into my apartment. Where I layed all night, getting up a time or two to puke.

I woke up with a.) the worst hangover I've ever had, and b.) one of the worst sunburns I've ever had.

I should have been made to walk around with a sign saying "I'm Stupid" for the next month.

Could it have been 1976?

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05301CIN1976.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05302CIN1976.htm

Looks like Rawly Eastwick pulling a Graves to ruin game one (with Griffey stealing four bases) but Santo Alcala coming through behind a few homers in the nightcap.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Just an aside, I forget that Gary Nolan was still with the BRM clubs. He won 15 games both years with the Series champion clubs. He spent ten years with us, whereas I thought he washed out in the early 70's.

wheels
08-25-2006, 09:38 PM
1998, Reds v. Indians, packed out Riverfront Stadium.

I'm there with my best friend and rival ( a cleveland fan, no less). We always had some kind of competition, be it Madden Football, Drinking, speed eating, eating gross stuff...You name it.

So I was kinda nervous because if the Reds lost, I'd have to deal with his little comments for the entire drive home.

I wasn't driving, so I was able to partake in a goodly amount of beer, and by the third inning, my bladder was nearly overflowing. Problem was, the place was packed, and the restroom situation was a bit cramped for my liking.

To put it another way, it gave me a wicked case of stage fright. I made repeated attempts, but...

I

Just

Couldn't

Do

It.

The game itself was a real nail biter. Pete Harnisch pitched a complete game and the Reds won 2-1 or 1-0, can't remember which.

All the while, I was struggling. I kept thinking I was taking too long, and that everyone was staring at me.

My friend was loving it. Making jokes about waterfalls and other watery things.

I was in agony. All I wanted was a nice, quiet place to let it all out, and I couldn't wait to hit the road so I could get to a gas station or something. Of course, the post game traffic after a one run game at a sold out 58,000 seat stadium wasn't exactly moving along in a brisk manner. Heck, there was even a traffic jam getting out of the parking garage.

All the while, my friend is laughing, and hitting every bump as hard as he could.

Eventually, I was okay, but the torture I endured will be forever embedded.

Falls City Beer
08-25-2006, 09:41 PM

I'm there with my best friend and rival ( a cleveland fan, no less). We always had some kind of competition, be it Madden Football, Drinking, speed eating, eating gross stuff...You name it.

So I was kinda nervous because if the Reds lost, I'd have to deal with his little comments for the entire drive home.

I wasn't driving, so I was able to partake in a goodly amount of beer, and by the third inning, my bladder was nearly overflowing. Problem was, the place was packed, and the restroom situation was a bit cramped for my liking.

To put it another way, it gave me a wicked case of stage fright. I made repeated attempts, but...

I

Just

Couldn't

Do

It.

The game itself was a real nail biter. Pete Harnisch pitched a complete game and the Reds won 2-1 or 1-0, can't remember which.

All the while, I was struggling. I kept thinking I was taking too long, and that everyone was staring at me.

My friend was loving it. Making jokes about waterfalls and other watery things.

I was in agony. All I wanted was a nice, quiet place to let it all out, and I couldn't wait to hit the road so I could get to a gas station or something. Of course, the post game traffic after a one run game at a sold out 58,000 seat stadium wasn't exactly moving along in a brisk manner. Heck, there was even a traffic jam getting out of the parking garage.

All the while, my friend is laughing, and hitting every bump as hard as he could.

Eventually, I was okay, but the torture I endured will be forever embedded.

I would have peed on the floor of his car.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 09:56 PM

Was that the game that ended with the tying run being thrown out at the plate? If it was, it's a wonder you didn't pee in your pants.

wheels
08-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Was that the game that ended with the tying run being thrown out at the plate? If it was, it's a wonder you didn't pee in your pants.

I honestly couldn't tell you.

I was drunk/in serious discomfort.

Plus, I'm never in danger of peeing my pants.

People would have seen me.:eek:

wheels
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you.

I was drunk/in serious discomfort.

Plus, I'm never in danger of peeing my pants.

People would have seen me.:eek:

I just checked out retrosheet, and the score was 2-1, Harnisch didn't have a complete game, Shaw closed it out.

Nobody got thrown out at the plate.

creek14
08-26-2006, 07:21 AM
When I was sitting down the 1st base line at old Comiskey and a man fell out of the upper deck. The whole thing was right in my line of sight. I turned to my friend - in total disbelief - and asked if she just saw that. She was already crying, so I knew it wasn't just my imagination.

The poor man died. The only *good* thing (if there can be something good) was that he landed on a walkway and not on a fan sitting in the lower deck.

KittyDuran
08-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I was at the Dragons game (was it 2004?) when a lady was hit in the head with a line drive foul ball third base side. I want to say it was Votto at the plate... I was on the other side of the field and even tho' I had my binoculars I was scared to look through them. Play was stopped. Have been trying to find the article about it. IIRC the Famous Chicken was performing that night.

15fan
08-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Jeff Austin's last start as a Red.

Reds Fanatic
08-26-2006, 06:51 PM
I was at the Dragons game (was it 2004?) when a lady was hit in the head with a line drive foul ball third base side. I want to say it was Votto at the plate... I was on the other side of the field and even tho' I had my binoculars I was scared to look through them. Play was stopped. Have been trying to find the article about it. IIRC the Famous Chicken was performing that night.
I was at the same game. That is the worst thing I have ever seen at a game. The lady was looking at the Chicken who was performing right in front of that section and I don't even think she saw the ball coming. They stopped the game for 15 or 20 minutes while the paramedics were taking care of her.

I also remember the game at GABP I think it was last year where a grandfather died at the game. I remember them taking him out of the stands. That was the game where Junior and the other players took care of the little kid until the family could get there.

Johnny Footstool
08-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I went to a Royals/Yankees game with about 10 friends, including my wife. We sat in the left field bleachers, right behind about 12 guys from a local Junior College baseball team. My friend started jawing with some of the players, who were rooting for the Yankees for some reason.

I remember that Ellen Degeneres had just come out of the closet that week, and my friend made some comment about her being an inspiration for the guys on the team. They didn't like that, and one of them stood up and started shouting at my friend.

So they're in each others' faces, and some spit flies out of someones mouth and hits my wife. She totally friggin' flips out and turns into a screaming tornado of fingernails and elbows. Luckily, she missed everybody (including me), and security was down there pretty quickly.

My friend manages to talk his way out of being ejected ("Hey, I'm just trying to enjoy the game..."), and things calm down for a while. Everyone is quiet for a while, when suddenly the baseball player turns around and starts whispering threats to my friend. My friend takes a half-hearted swipe at the guy, and the guy gets up and grabs him. They scuffle a bit, and the guy's teammates wave over the REST of the team (about 15 more ballplayers) from another section of the bleachers. Luckily, security was still keeping an eye on the situation, and they broke it up before we got bum-rushed. Strangely enough, they ejected the entire team and let us stay.

Then it started raining.

westofyou
08-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Then it started raining.

Royals Baseball... catch the fever.

KittyDuran
08-26-2006, 08:14 PM
I also remember the game at GABP I think it was last year where a grandfather died at the game. I remember them taking him out of the stands. That was the game where Junior and the other players took care of the little kid until the family could get there.I was at that game and was one section over. :(

SanDiegoRed
08-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I was at the double header in San Diego when Roseanne Barr sang the national anthem..

mth123
08-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I was at the double header in San Diego when Roseanne Barr sang the national anthem..

This wins the award.

Newman4
08-27-2006, 01:31 PM
My worst would probably have to a Friday night game, 2000 or 2001 I think. My wife and I had worked all week and had some half price "College Night" tickets. There was a long rain delay and then the Reds got behind like 8-1 or 9-1. It was really late and my wife fell asleep twice in the stands. I finally took sympathy on her and threw in the towel in the bottom of the 8th. We had about an hour and a half ride home anyways. So we left. This was the first Reds baseball game I had ever left early.
Well.....the rest of the story....while my wife is sound asleep, the Reds come back to tie the game and go into extra innings and win. I listen to it all on the radio on the ride home. The next day when I told her they won, I thought she was going to cry she felt so bad. I wasn't mad at her a bit, just disappointed that we missed the end of such a great game.

redsmetz
08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
My worst would probably have to a Friday night game, 2000 or 2001 I think. My wife and I had worked all week and had some half price "College Night" tickets. There was a long rain delay and then the Reds got behind like 8-1 or 9-1. It was really late and my wife fell asleep twice in the stands. I finally took sympathy on her and threw in the towel in the bottom of the 8th. We had about an hour and a half ride home anyways. So we left. This was the first Reds baseball game I had ever left early.
Well.....the rest of the story....while my wife is sound asleep, the Reds come back to tie the game and go into extra innings and win. I listen to it all on the radio on the ride home. The next day when I told her they won, I thought she was going to cry she felt so bad. I wasn't mad at her a bit, just disappointed that we missed the end of such a great game.

Okay, this is true love. It's epic. Great story.

redleg32
08-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Last summer on Saturday of the Diamondback series, I tried to start the wave from the third base line. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the fun except for the African-American cop in the visitor dugout. I was told to sit down. I in turn filed a complaint with the police department. My whole argument on the matter was that there was 15,000 people there on a Saturday night and he was such a prick that he was not going to allow the people that were there to have a little fun. Maybe that's a contributing factor to poor attendance!

bucknutdet
08-28-2006, 06:25 PM
No one really enjoys the "wave" anymore.:wave:

Blimpie
08-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I traveled to the Orange Bowl in 1987 for the season opening football game between my school (University of Florida) and the University of Miami. There was quite a bit of hype about Florida possibly pulling off the upset that day and the game started off in a surreal fashion:

The Miami long snapper hiked--not one--but two snaps over the punter's head and out the back of the Miami endzone for two safeties and a 4-0 Florida lead!

My friends and I were deliriously happy and were hazing the Miami fans relentlessly. Miami then rattled off the next 31 points in the game and kept the Gators out of the endzone for the rest of the game.

Final Score = 31-4 Miami

The worst part of it all was Florida (like all SEC teams) was scheduled to add an eighth SEC game the following season; thus, they had to drop an existing non-conference from their current schedule in order to make room. You guessed it...they announced just before the 1987 game that they would drop Miami from their schedule beginning in 1988. As we were doing the walk of shame out of the Orange Bowl after the game, the Hurricane fans were just merciless. "What? are you ducking us next year?" "Hope you guys can score against Vanderbilt!"

It was just an awful day that began an awful season...Miami finished 12-0 that year. :barf:

Hap
08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Going to Comerica in 2000 and seeing the Reds play like crap and lose 6-2.

After the game, we had to walk a gauntlet of insults to get back to our vehicle. We had little kids following behind us and telling us that the Reds suck. We had adults insulting us from the patio bars and telling us to get back on I-75 and get the heck out of Michigan. We had teenagers following us and holding up signs that said "F-Bomb The Reds". Someone threw a golf ball at us from high up, narrowly missing us by only a few inches. We had homeless people offering directions for money. I haven't been back since and I probably never will.

Hap
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Everyone seemed to be enjoying the fun except for the African-American cop in the visitor dugout.

Why did you have to make reference to the fact that he was African-American? I don't see how that is relevant to the story.

Highlifeman21
08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Getting my Reds hat stolen right off my head during the middle game of the series here in Philly.

Damn Phillies Phans.

I miss my hat.

justincredible
08-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Getting my Reds hat stolen right off my head during the middle game of the series here in Philly.

Damn Phillies Phans.

I miss my hat.

There would be blood in the aisles if someone stole the hat off of my head! How did that go down?

Jaycint
08-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I just checked out retrosheet, and the score was 2-1, Harnisch didn't have a complete game, Shaw closed it out.

Nobody got thrown out at the plate.

I think the game he was referring to happened in 2000. Reason I remember is because I was there and the next day my wife found out she was pregnant.

westofyou
08-29-2006, 05:04 PM
There would be blood in the aisles if someone stole the hat off of my head! How did that go down?
Blood in the streets in the town of Philly
Blood stains the seats and the cheese steaks of Citzens Ball Park
Blood on my hat in the terrible summer
Bloody red sun of Phantastic Philly.

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd probably say Tiger Stadium in the late 80s. Here I am, a wide-eyed 8 year old with my dad and his favorite team. It was easily 100 degrees with high humidity, and seemingly everyone around us was drunk and berating whoever the opposing team was. I kept asking my dad about Tigers players (back in the days of Sweet Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell), and at one point, one of the drunkards actually calls down "tell that little inquisitive f*** to shut his mouth! We're tryin to root on the TIGERS!" How my father maintained his reserve I'll never know; I probably would have been in that guy's row in 5 seconds flat to tell him a few things. It was a slow game and the Tigers lost it in the 8th, so I just ended up hot, confused and berated. It really soured me on ever going back to that ballpark.

Now I admit, I probably should watch my language more often when I'm at a game, but I really can't imagine why you would curse at a little kid.

westofyou
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
How my father maintained his reserve I'll never know

At Tiger Stadium back in the late 60's when I was way young I was sitting in my fathers lap and a hippy (honest to goodness real life hippy) sat in my seat, my dad asked to leave and he wouldn't, he eventually left.. I'm unsure of the exact reason, but my father who is rather reserved (but was a Marine so that has to count for something) got his message across.

Gotta love Detroit... it's all about the attitude.

dabvu2498
08-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Gotta love Detroit... it's all about the attitude.
After seeing the Tigers "fans" in Cleveland this past weekend, I understand what you're getting at.

crazybob60
08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Surprised that the Mets -- Reds one playoff game showdown to see who went to the playoffs hasn't been mentioned and about how cold that one was and for us to lose such a close game. I was there for that one way up in the Red seats.

Then there was opening day last year -- 2005, where my friend had to leave early for some reason (can't remember off the top of my head), but we left in the 8th inning and then turn on the radio only to find out the Reds came back and won it and we missed seeing it, that was disappointing.

And then when they shoot the stuff out of the launchers like t-shirts, well they shot a hot dog once right at me, and I went to catch it and it slipped right between my closing hands, like squiring out of them and went two rows down. And I was really hungry at that particular moment, and I had to watch the person two rows below me eat it (if I remember correctly, I believe I was out of money already and couldn't go and get another hot dog or something.)

machineguy
08-29-2006, 05:34 PM
I remember watching a Braves-Phillies game at old Fulton County Stadium and it was drizzling. Some kid that was in our group kept kicking my chair. His dad didn't seem to notice. I think I got back home the next morning after some delays about 2 a. m. The game did not stop and there was a fairly steady drizzle throughout.

westofyou
08-29-2006, 05:35 PM
After seeing the Tigers "fans" in Cleveland this past weekend, I understand what you're getting at.
It's the place that spit out Iggy Pop and the MC 5 while everyone else was Going to San Francisco with flowers in their hair, it's nitty gritty and crazy.

Little known fact, the Cardinals wanted to move to Detroit in 1933 or so, they felt the St Louis area couldn't support two teams, but they didn't own the ballpark they played in, so they started kicking tires, first Detroit, their owner made a stink to Landis (Detroit had more work then most cities in the Depression so te area they felt could support two teams, Landis didn't) They also queried Toronto, but passed.

Doc. Scott
08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Going to Comerica in 2000 and seeing the Reds play like crap and lose 6-2. After the game, we had to walk a gauntlet of insults to get back to our vehicle... I haven't been back since and I probably never will.

I'd probably say Tiger Stadium in the late 80s. Here I am, a wide-eyed 8 year old with my dad and his favorite team....I kept asking my dad about Tigers players (back in the days of Sweet Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell), and at one point, one of the drunkards actually calls down "tell that little inquisitive f*** to shut his mouth! We're tryin to root on the TIGERS!"...

I was riding in the car with my dad while in Florida a couple of years ago when a car with Michigan plates pulled right in front of us and almost caused an accident. My dad, who's not given to a lot of chatter, says:

"I have this theory about people from Michigan."

"What's that?" I asked.

"They're all a*******," Dad said.

One of the more philosophical things I've ever heard him say.

No personal offense if you're a Michiganite. If you're here, you're probably an exception.

Highlifeman21
08-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Guy came from behind me, snagged it from the row behind as it was backwards on my head. He kinda looked at me, faked like he was gonna toss it back to me as he made his way to the aisle. Once he got to the aisle and started up a few steps, I hopped over the seats, made my way to the aisle and sprinted up after him. By this time, he's up into the concourse, and I see him toss it back and forth with his buddies, but they all went different directions and I couldn't tell who had my hat. I was pissed. That's the quick and dirty version of the story.

ol'Sparky
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
If they sell beer and it's on grass, it can't be a bad experience. :beerme:

HalMorrisfan77
08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
1993 against SF I think, Billy Doran hits what should be a homerun. After trotting around the bases, the 2-run shot has already been put up on the skoreboard...Now its a tie game at 3-3...

The Umps meet, say its a foul ball...Rierfront Stadium goes bananas, starts throwing anything they an get their hands on out onto the field. My mothers turning beet red due to some of the foulest language Id heard in my short 13 years. My sisters are getting beer dumped on them. It took the grounds krew about 25 minutes to get eerything off the warning trak.

(just FYI...my "SEE" button doesnt work, therefore all the k's instead)

HalMorrisfan77
08-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Im from MI (detroit area) and Id kill (no pun intended) to go see a few more games at Tiger Stadium. There were always some jerks there, just like eery other ballpark.

No offense taken on the a****** remark by the way.

Cyclone792
08-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Little known fact, the Cardinals wanted to move to Detroit in 1933 or so, they felt the St Louis area couldn't support two teams, but they didn't own the ballpark they played in, so they started kicking tires, first Detroit, their owner made a stink to Landis (Detroit had more work then most cities in the Depression so te area they felt could support two teams, Landis didn't) They also queried Toronto, but passed.

What were Navin's thoughts on that scenario and the possibility of it cutting into his gate profits?

All I know is in the 1920s Navin was all about having Cobb work the retreads for the offense while keeping the belt tight on bringing in pitchers. Whether it's historically accurate or not, if one asked Cobb, he'd probably refer to Navin as the 1920s version of Carl Lindner.

Rojo
08-29-2006, 10:36 PM

Hey me too! I was also at the game where Tom Browning broke his arm.

BoomerSoonerRed
08-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Both happened this year, believe it or not.

1. Me and a co-worker buddy (huge Astros fan BTW) go down to the Houston area in June where he's originally from and spend time at both his parents' places. He also has a 2+ year old son. We go to the Saturday night game at Minute Maid (the one where Bronson went 3 for 3 at the plate and Freel made the outstanding catch in the 9th). His mom and his brother and his wife join us. Now, my buddy is a great guy but you don't want to be in the same room with him while the Astros are playing (and especially if the Astros are losing). I wandered around in the middle innings to get something to eat and I went back to my seat while the Reds were having a big inning. I was sitting next to him and asked him an innocent question and he darn near bit my head off. I got mad and stormed out, and when the two of us met again moments later we nearly came to blows. But we got things smoothed over eventually. He was also tense because his son was making life miserable for him throughout the game, even going as far as to rip off the pocket of his new shirt so he was in a lousy mood that night. Just a case of me being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And to top it off, we missed seeing the Freel catch in the 9th because we left in the 8th to beat traffic, also figuring that the Reds had it won (they did, but the Astros made us sweat it out in the 9th).

2. Went down to Texas in late July to see the Rangers (my AL team) play against the Royals on a Saturday and Sunday night. On the Sunday game, something came up that forced me to get to the ballpark right before first pitch before I could have a chance to eat beforehand. So I had to spend about $20 finding a booth that served garlic fries and a Chicago dog. While I was looking for those particular concessions, the Rangers scored 10 runs in a two-inning span in a game they would eventually win 15-2. And I missed most of the scoring just because I had a craving for garlic fries, which I will never eat in another ballpark again.