PDA

View Full Version : Secret Musical Indulgence

Ltlabner
08-25-2006, 04:55 PM
What is your secret muscial indulgence that is so far out of your "norm" that people would be suprised to learn you are listening to ___________________ ?

I have very diverse musical tastes that range from classic rock, to heavy metal, to pop music, to blues, to jazz to country. Anything with a good beat, catchy sounds, etc. I like music that gets my blood pumping and is maybe a little dramatic.

AND.....I have a thing for marching band music, especially millitary march type music. So on the one hand it's Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, it's "The Luftwaffe March".

A very close 2nd? Neil Diamond.

BuckU
08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
The Greese Soundtrack....

:ughmamoru

zombie-a-go-go
08-25-2006, 05:20 PM
My friends don't give me crap; I give it to them. :cool:

I do have this strange thing for the Acid House Kings, though my friends have no idea who they are, so there's really not an issue there.

harangatang
08-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Destiny's Child and Britney Spears ;)

Ravenlord
08-25-2006, 05:26 PM
She Wants Revenge

The Killers

Franz Ferdinand (with a name like that, i thought for sure they'd be death or doom metal)

Kylie Minogue

Ace of Bass

Gretchen Wilson

westofyou
08-25-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm not ashamed of any music I like, but some folks might be if they liked it... I have a taste for Pop Melody, I love me some Brill Building sound, Monkees, Box Tops, Rasberries and other catchy songs one might have heard on AM radio back in the day.

Red Leader
08-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I also like all kinds of music but I'm a sucker for all rap songs where kids sing in them for some reason.

Hard Knock Life - Jay Z.
I'm a Thug - Trick Daddy
as examples...

Also, all music by Kriss Kross, Another Bad Creation, etc...

For some reason I just think rap songs with kids signing in them is cool. :dunno:

Hap
08-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Debbie (not deborah) Gibson. She is DEFINITELY only in my dreams.

minus5
08-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm not ashamed of any music I like, but some folks might be if they liked it... I have a taste for Pop Melody, I love me some Brill Building sound, Monkees, Box Tops, Rasberries and other catchy songs one might have heard on AM radio back in the day.

I was just about to fess up to my love of quite a bit of The Monkees music. I do like the Box Tops and Rasperries as well. I'm not ashamed either though

I think I'll jam out to "Goin' Down" when I get home tonight. :)

Oh you can add The Raider in there for me as well. Good power pop.

Ravenlord
08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
..."The Luftwaffe March".
i always liked the rythm to that song. i used to have an mp3 of ManOwaR bassist Joey DeMaio playing it on a fretless bass. i lost it when the hard drive on that computer shorted out though.:(

Falls City Beer
08-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Guns n Roses first album: reminds me of college.

Joseph
08-25-2006, 06:12 PM
If we are talking strictly stuff thats embarrasing to admit, then I'll say Fall Out Boy and the Killers.

I love Tori Amos, which totally goes against my 'metal' roots, and Hank Williams III too, but I'm not ashamed to admit either of those.

wally post
08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Beach Boys.

dsmith421
08-25-2006, 06:24 PM
70s Yes.

I am unrepentant about this.

westofyou
08-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Beach Boys.
Love me some Beach Boys... particulary from Pet Sounds to Holland, I really like Dennis' stuff, especially on "So Tough"

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2006, 06:39 PM
If we are talking strictly stuff thats embarrasing to admit, then I'll say Fall Out Boy and the Killers.

Yeah, I like Fall Out Boy, too. I'm a sucker for catchy melodies, but I also think their lyrics are clever, insightful, and pretty interesting. "The way your makeup stains my pillowcase..."

I also enjoy listening to Elton John, but my best friend gives me constant crap about it.

KittyDuran
08-25-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not ashamed of any music I like, but some folks might be if they liked it... I have a taste for Pop Melody, I love me some Brill Building sound, Monkees, Box Tops, Rasberries and other catchy songs one might have heard on AM radio back in the day.Same here, never been ashamed...I know what I like and it's my money [so there! :mooner::laugh:]

During the 70s liking bubblegum and disco, and then in the 80s liking Duran Duran was akin to having a STD - tho' it did help that I was female...:D. Still have a few Monkees 45s, have the some of the Rhino collection and the box set... so I guess I'm a fan. :devil: I remember going into one of the chain record stores, might have been Sam Goody - and purchasing a Duran Duran CD single. Take my purchases up to the counter only to get an earful from some pimpled face teenager manning the register. Well, before he could ring the purchases up, I calmly took all the items and put them back. He didn't bother to look at the other items I was purchasing...IIRC it was the Led Zep box set (Coda) and a blues box set for my Dad that would have been close to $50. Never set foot in that store again. :p:

Red in Chicago
08-25-2006, 07:54 PM
barry "copacabana" manilow:party:

her name was lola...

pedro
08-25-2006, 08:44 PM
T L C

MrCinatit
08-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Abba.

Dom Heffner
08-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Ace of Bass

Ravenlord, you sholuldn't have taken the thread so literally. You don't have to admit to all of your guilty pleasures- just the ones you won't get beat up over. By admitting you like Ace of Base, you can now never run for public office. :)

I'm like WOY- I'm not ashamed of some of the stuff I like, but I do sometimes stop and wonder why I listen to Led Zeppellin and then throw in a John Denver CD.

A few:

Neil Diamond

Rick Springfield (one of the strangest contradictions ever- a man so good looking that he could get away with writing adult songs about sex and peddle them to teenage girls. He was on the cover of teenybobber mags into his 30s.)

Keith Urban (where I got this from I have no idea)

Dolly Parton

Power ballads

Rod Stewart (not the big band crap but his other crap.)

I'll think of more.

I also enjoy listening to Elton John, but my best friend gives me constant crap about it.

Depends on which Elton you are talking about: If it's the Lion King, well, yeah, you deserve it.

Anything pre-"That's What Friends Are For" is terrific, especially if we're going back to the early 70s. John and Taupin are the perfect example of the creativity that rests with being young and emotional. "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" and "Levon" are brilliant. So are "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" and "Levon."

I think if I were only allowed one musician's music to take to a desert island with me it would be early 1970s Elton John. Just awesome stuff.

TeamCasey
08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Liza Minelli

IowaRed
08-25-2006, 10:44 PM
I always thought mmmmbop was a very catchy tune

Dom Heffner
08-25-2006, 10:51 PM
mmmmbop

Dude- you just fed a million earworms.

Johnny Footstool
08-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Rick Springfield (one of the strangest contradictions ever- a man so good looking that he could get away with writing adult songs about sex and peddle them to teenage girls. He was on the cover of teenybobber mags into his 30s.)

Oh, HELL yeah! Rick was the MAN circa 1981. I wanted to be him.

Depends on which Elton you are talking about: If it's the Lion King, well, yeah, you deserve it.

Anything pre-"That's What Friends Are For" is terrific, especially if we're going back to the early 70s. John and Taupin are the perfect example of the creativity that rests with being young and emotional. "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" and "Levon" are brilliant. So are "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" and "Levon."

I think if I were only allowed one musician's music to take to a desert island with me it would be early 1970s Elton John. Just awesome stuff.

Elton's last great song was "Empty Garden." "Nikita" and "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" were the first steps down the dark path that led to Disney soundtracks.

GAC
08-26-2006, 06:21 AM

Me to Brian. I love groups like the Momma's and Pappas, Dave Clark5, Lovin Spoonful, Herman's Hermits, etc.

Grassroots - Temptation Eyes! :thumbup:

I refer to it as "music of innocence" - not trying to raise one's social consciousness, or has much of a message, just entertainingly fun.

My Dad was a HUGE Big Band Era addict. I still remember, growing up, hearing Dad listening to it (and singing along) while getting ready for work in the mornings.

Of course as a child of the 60's I didn't care much for it. But now I throughly enjoy it - Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman.

And I like Bing Crosby too. ;)

GAC
08-26-2006, 06:26 AM
70s Yes.

Yours Is No Disgrace ;)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007KWHN.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I know that rfs62 and myself will welcome you to the club.

GAC
08-26-2006, 06:29 AM
A very close 2nd? Neil Diamond.

Great! Now I'll have the lyrics of Song Sung Blue going through my head for the rest of the day! :lol:

GAC
08-26-2006, 06:35 AM

Early stuff was excellent.... Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, GYBR, Rock Of The Westies - all good stuff!

BuckWoody
08-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Abba.
:wave:

http://media.funsmileys.com/smileys/embarrassed001.gif

Dom Heffner
08-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Early stuff was excellent.... Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, GYBR, Rock Of The Westies -

Have all of these on vinyl as well as remastered CD. They sound better the older they get.

Ltlabner
08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Have all of these on vinyl as well as remastered CD. They sound better the older they get.

Well, all of this talk about Sir Elton and I just got the itch to hear some some of his old, good music again.

itunes thanks you all......

westofyou
08-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Easily the most popular artist in my youth, his GBYBR Album was in every house that I ever visited in the 70's, and even 30 years later his concert I saw in 1976 is in my top 5.

Ltlabner
08-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Easily the most popular artist in my youth, his GBYBR Album was in every house that I ever visited in the 70's, and even 30 years later his concert I saw in 1976 is in my top 5.

Was he wearing the duck suits and freaky sequened outfits at that time WOY?

I thought Led Zep ruled the universe back then? :evil:

westofyou
08-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Was he wearing the duck suits and freaky sequened outfits at that time WOY?

I thought Led Zep ruled the universe back then? :evil:
Not the duck suit, but big glasses and the whole flashy gear, it was his original band and it rocked.

While Zeppline did rule, I liked them, but no background vocals alwasy struck me as odd.

back in the 70's WSAI FM was essentially Jackson Browne, Eagles, California Vibe... WEBN was more "rocking" and followed what was popular more often then not. SAI eventually died out and EBN became even more generic

My older sister saw LZ at the Colisieum, it was just like the WHO show, but they actually opened the doors in time, she got in when someone "popped" the emergency door and she and 100 people or so got in for free.

Getting into that place always was a crush and I fell a couple of times prior to the Who incident, just poorly managed... but then again I've spent my adult life going to Bill Graham venues, and no one put on a better show the BGP.

Anyway I digress...

HumnHilghtFreel
08-26-2006, 03:46 PM
I usually listen to a lot of rap and r&b, but I can find myself listening to just about anything. James Taylor and even some classical music when I'm in the mood are some things my friends might look at me a little funny for listening to.

I agree though that it doesn't matter as long as it's what you like then don't worry about it.

Tony Cloninger
08-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Good music is good music....no matter what the genre.

I am a Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Wolfmother, JET and Jam fan.....first and foremost.....BUT............

ABBA is great music....... That band could make a pop song like no one's bussiness...i could probably listen to "Dancing Queen" about 5 times in a row.

KC and the Sunshine Band...... Do a little dance, make a little love (great motto for the middle to late 70's) "Please Don't Go" "Keep it Coming Love"

Kyle Minouge...... more bubblegum pop to mindlessly start your day...great BODY on that lady too.

Chic........Pigeonholed as a disco band....they were much better than just a "disco" group.

Tons of dance, disco music......who's artists names are forgotten...

"White Horse"
"Fly Robin Fly"
"Never Can Say Goodbye" (Originally a Jackson 5 song, better as a disco song)

westofyou
08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
That band could make a pop song like no one's bussiness...i could probably listen to "Dancing Queen" about 5 times in a row.
Me too.

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life

Tony Cloninger
08-26-2006, 05:19 PM
They song very well in Spanish too......very big in Uruguay and Argentina, which is where i first heard them.....before any other band, including the Beatles.

MWM
08-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Admit that you like show tunes, then talk to me about being embarassed.

MWM
08-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Me too.

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life

I hadn't heard that song in years until I was having lunch with M2 in Boston and it came on over the radio. I went back to my hotel, downloaded if off iTunes and now listen to it all the time. And my kids love it as well.

CrackerJack
08-26-2006, 05:21 PM
70's Black Sabbath, pure evil, can't play it around the family, children, or certain female types in my circle....maybe that's why I still feel like a kid when I listen to it.

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 09:23 PM
70's Black Sabbath, pure evil, can't play it around the family, children, or certain female types in my circle....maybe that's why I still feel like a kid when I listen to it.

Dude. This should be a banner, not some hidden shame. Wear your Sabbath proudly. One of the greatest bands ever.

westofyou
08-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Dude. This should be a banner, not some hidden shame. Wear your Sabbath proudly. One of the greatest bands ever.
So bad in 76 when I saw them I walked out... just horrible.

Drugs are a weird tool.

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 10:38 PM
So bad in 76 when I saw them I walked out... just horrible.

Drugs are a weird tool.

I've always heard they sucked live.

Too many layered guitars for clean translation to live performances. But man, I know few bands that produced studio albums that rocked as hard as their first 7-8 albums.

Ltlabner
08-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I've always heard they sucked live.

Too many layered guitars for clean translation to live performances. But man, I know few bands that produced studio albums that rocked as hard as their first 7-8 albums.

Mastered Reality....a simply amazing album.

i_heart_jason
08-26-2006, 11:17 PM
hanson
taylor hicks
the entire FOOTLOOSE soundtrack

dman
08-27-2006, 12:12 AM
A lot of the Disney movie soundtracks, especially the ones done by Phil Collins

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-27-2006, 12:20 AM
ok, here's my wierd stuff--love john williams soundtracks(empire strikes back,superman,star wars etc....also love christmas music at anytime of year...other day burned me a cd of both...so going to work listening to darth vader theme one minute and silver bells the next

Razor Shines
08-27-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm not really a fan of rap but on my IPod you will find "Mr. Boombastic" by Shaggy and "D*** it Feels Good to be a Gangsta" by The Geto Boys (because of Office Space, obviously). Those always get a laugh out of my friends when they're in my car and my IPod is on random.

letsgojunior
08-27-2006, 02:06 AM
I have to admit to listening to Gnarls Barkley lately - really, not my best decision-making.

RedsBaron
08-27-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd guess that just about everything I listen to is uncool or cheesy. My Corvette at the moment has in the CD player CDs by Elvis Presley, Brad Paisley, the Bangles, Pat Benatar and the new Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs "Under the Covers" CD. I've got CDs by Sinatra, Dean Martin, Barry Manilow, the Monkees, Mac Davis, Martina McBride, Linda Ronstadt, the Eagles, the Beatles, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Cyndi Thomson, James Bond soundtracks, Chicago, Shania Twain, Merle Haggard, the Beach Boys, and a whole lot more.......probably the only CDs I have that would be even halfway considered cool are those by Sinatra, the Beatles, Cash and Haggard, but I like 'em all.

GAC
08-27-2006, 10:05 AM
OK - who was that singer that use to sell his albums on TV, and they always use to say he out sold Elvis and the Beatles. :lol:

I thought it was Boxcar Willie, but it's someone else whose name escapes me.

BuckWoody
08-27-2006, 10:20 AM
OK - who was that singer that use to sell his albums on TV, and they always use to say he out sold Elvis and the Beatles. :lol:

Slim Whitman
http://www.escualotis.com/denti/slim.jpg

I believe that Slim Whitman music helped save the day in Tim Burton's Mars Attacks! He's an American hero.

oneupper
08-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I believe that Slim Whitman music helped save the day in Tim Burton's Mars Attacks! He's an American hero.

Couldn't save the movie though. :D

oneupper
08-27-2006, 10:29 AM
My Secret Musical Indulgence?

I'm 45 and I have developed a liking for Punk Rock.

Stuff like Allister, New Found Glory, Green Day, Relient K, sum 41 and a bunch of other bands. Looking for stuff to add to my collection. Any suggestions?

Falls City Beer
08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Any suggestions?

Wire--Pink Flag
Wire--Chairs Missing

Dom Heffner
08-27-2006, 11:12 AM

GAC, Richard Clayderman's commercials used to claim he was the highest selling recording artist of all-time.

Betterread
08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
My Secret Musical Indulgence?

I'm 45 and I have developed a liking for Punk Rock.

Stuff like Allister, New Found Glory, Green Day, Relient K, sum 41 and a bunch of other bands. Looking for stuff to add to my collection. Any suggestions?

A quick list of some of my favorites:
NY Dolls
The Ramones (
early Black Flag ("first four years", and "damaged" -pre-Rollins)
early Clash ("the clash", "give 'em enough rope")
Danzig
Circle Jerks
Buzzcocks
The Cramps

SandyD
08-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I've been telling Alfred I want to have a "martini and music" night. We'll make a pitcher of martinis, and take turns "performing" to some of our favorites. He'll be performing ELO, Van Morrison, Elton John. I'll bring in some Eartha Kitt, some Irish pub music, and maybe the skiffle sessions of Van Morrison, Lonnie Donegan, and Chris Barber.

RB, I don't always like her choices of music, but Linda Ronstadt has a beautiful voice. Have you heard about her recent release with Ann Savoy? Some nice work on that CD. Their voices harmonize so beautifully ... and there's a pretty good song selection, IMO.

As for embarrassing: I don't know ... I've seen both Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow in concert, but that was in my youth. Drinking songs,tho I don't drink much. Even childhood ditties. Opera. Crumhorns. I wanted to learn to play the Crumhorn.

cincinnati chili
08-27-2006, 03:33 PM
70s Yes.

Word.

They are the the creme de la creme of wimpy prog rock. And I maintain to this day that if they had a wee bit more charisma, the music played on the radio would be entirely more interesting.

ELO is a guilty pleasure of mine.

The Styx songs that Dennis DeYoung didn't write are another. Renegade, for example, was a great tune.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-27-2006, 04:29 PM
i also burn me an elvis cd whenever i get the chance

Falls City Beer
08-27-2006, 04:32 PM
ELO.

The opera cream of popular music. It cloys because it's poisonous.

RFS62
08-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Word.

They are the the creme de la creme of wimpy prog rock. And I maintain to this day that if they had a wee bit more charisma, the music played on the radio would be entirely more interesting.

The Styx songs that Dennis DeYoung didn't write are another. Renegade, for example, was a great tune.

There's nothing to feel guilty about for loving Yes.

They've been my all time favorite since the 70's

RANDY IN INDY
08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Just mentioned to my wife last night that I needed to pick up "Fragile" on CD.

RFS62
08-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Just mentioned to my wife last night that I needed to pick up "Fragile" on CD.

Yep. That was an incredible album. Actually, I haven't been a big fan of much they've done since Relayer. Before that, it was like they couldn't care less who liked them, they were true to their idea of exploring what rock music could become.

Betterread
08-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Yep. That was an incredible album. Actually, I haven't been a big fan of much they've done since Relayer. Before that, it was like they couldn't care less who liked them, they were true to their idea of exploring what rock music could become.

Fragile and Close to the Edge - Chris Squire was incredible on Close to the Edge - not really songs but incredible jams on that album. He, Steve Howe, Wakeman were really skilled musicians that for a few records controlled their egos enough to record some great music. Their lyrics were just terrible, though - and delivered by an awful vocalist - a fatal flaw for me. They should have just done instrumentals.

cumberlandreds
08-27-2006, 08:12 PM
I love listening to Big band music of the 1940's. No I'm not that old to remember it when it was first out. I'm just 43 myself but I really like that style. It was very unique to anything that came along after that. I listen often to the 40's channel on XM. It's a good diversion from the 60's,70's and 80's music I listen to most often.

RedsBaron
08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
RB, I don't always like her choices of music, but Linda Ronstadt has a beautiful voice. Have you heard about her recent release with Ann Savoy? Some nice work on that CD. Their voices harmonize so beautifully ... and there's a pretty good song selection, IMO.

As for embarrassing: I don't know ... I've seen both Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow in concert, but that was in my youth. Drinking songs,tho I don't drink much. Even childhood ditties. Opera. Crumhorns. I wanted to learn to play the Crumhorn.
I haven't heard of Ronstadt's new release, but she has probably recorded about as diverse a body of work as anyone I can think of....rock, pop standards, traditional country, Spanish music....and done it all well.
Oh I have several Neil Diamond CDs.
The last 10 CDs I have purchased were by Lynryd Skynrd, Hank Williams Junior, Dean Martin, Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs, Chicago, Brad Paisley, Johnny Cash, Martina McBride, Frank Sinatra and the "From Russia With Love" soundtrack.

Blimpie
08-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Zamfir--master of the pan flute.

Here endeth the discussion.

dabvu2498
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Zamfir--master of the pan flute.

Here endeth the discussion.
Only if you'd also included the keyboard stylings of this guy:
http://www.lite102.com/Images/ImageManager/John-Final.jpg

Roy Tucker
08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
The Carpenters

The aforementioned mid-60's pop, Tommy James and the Shondells, the Cyrkle, Lou Christie, Tommy Roe, the Left Banke, Boyce & Hart, etc

Guitar instrumentals line Duane Eddy, Dick Dale, the Ventures, Lonnie Mack, Ramrods, Link Wray, Santo and Johnny, etc

Red Leader
08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
This is going to be weird, but here it goes.

When I was a kid, my Dad listened to music he used to sing in church as a kid. He bought a cassette that had more southern gospel music on it. He used to play it all the time in his car. I still enjoy listening to those songs for some reason. Songs included "Wings of a Dove," "I'll Fly Away", and "Amazing Grace," among many others.

I was happy to see that I'll Fly Away was included on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack.

registerthis
08-28-2006, 12:05 PM

Zinthar, Master of the Pan Flute

Blimpie
08-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Zinthar, Master of the Pan FluteWho is that? Zamfir's evil twin? Curses to your ancestors. :p:

registerthis
08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Who is that? Zamfir's evil twin? Curses your ancestors. :p:

Hey, it's been awhile since I've poured over my pan flute album collection. A little slack, please. :)

Ltlabner
08-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey, it's been awhile since I've poured over my pan flute album collection. A little slack, please. :)

I bet your ipod playlist for "pan flute" totally rules, rocks and generally kicks it old-school. :eek:

IowaRed
08-28-2006, 03:18 PM
We had a Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass album back in the late 60's when I was very young, we used to listen to it all the time-especially Tijuana Taxi, Taste of Honey, The Lonely Bull, Spanish Flea

pedro
08-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm just glad no one has copped to "The Hasselhoff" yet.

http://vega.soi.city.ac.uk/~gt199/dishrag/877.jpg

RFS62
08-28-2006, 03:28 PM
How about this William Shatner classic...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000014WS.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

dabvu2498
08-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Pictures of John Tesh, Da Hoff and Shatner on the same page. :runaway:

Ltlabner
08-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Pictures of John Tesh, Da Hoff and Shatner on the same page. :runaway:

I know I started this thread, but noting the above post, I suddenly feel cheep and dirty.

Blimpie
08-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Pictures of John Tesh, Da Hoff and Shatner on the same page. :runaway:Just so we can remain equal opportunity offenders, I give thee:

http://www.iranmania.com/fun/caricature/actual/yani.jpg

Roy Tucker
08-28-2006, 04:05 PM
How about this William Shatner classic...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000014WS.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbv6r_tKnE

bucksfan
08-28-2006, 04:22 PM
All depending on who you talk to :

- some would say my liking of some of the current "poppy country" should be a "secret"
- some would say my enduring taste for the 80's metal should remain for my ears only
- others may say the older twangier country stuff I like should be undisclosed to all but my closest friends
- even others may scoff at a guy like me liking the INdigo Girls and Tori Amos, saying I never should have "let that one out"!
- I love the scores from many musicals and several "show tunes", some would think it cool and oithers again may consider it akin to a skeleton in my closet
- I still think some of the old Devo is cool too. I even bought "New Traditionalists" on CD a few years back.
- Let's see, how about Quarterflash? I loved the song "Find Another Fool"

registerthis
08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
My fiancee thinks I'm both a dweeb and a complete music snob, but I absolutely love Rush. I can pretty much to groove to everything they've done from 2112 onwards (the early stuff is a little grating on the ears.)

Say what you will about the indulgent solos, Geddy's voice, or lyrics such as "Everybody's got to deviate from the norm," but there's nothing better than Geddy, Alex and Neil rocking out. And I'd love to still be doign what they'r doing when I'm in my 50s.

RFS62
08-28-2006, 04:40 PM
nd I'd love to still be doign what they'r doing when I'm in my 50s.

I am, and I do.

:cool:

westofyou
08-28-2006, 05:34 PM

He loves the way puccini lays down a tune,
And verdi's always creeping from his room...

Johnny Footstool
08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
ELO brought "Xanadu" to the world.

westofyou
08-28-2006, 05:58 PM
IIRC you like Journey.... now step back slowly.

registerthis
08-28-2006, 06:22 PM

That was Rush, no?

Johnny Footstool
08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
IIRC you like Journey.... now step back slowly.

"Xanadu" is worse than a dozen "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'"s with an "Oh Sherrie" thrown in.

Johnny Footstool
08-28-2006, 06:28 PM
That was Rush, no?

Different version. ELO wrote the entire soundtrack for the movie, accompanied Olivia Newton John on the songs, and even recorded their own version of the title track.

I have ELO's version as one of my ring-back tones on my cell phone.

westofyou
08-28-2006, 06:28 PM
"Xanadu" is worse than a dozen "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'"s with an "Oh Sherrie" thrown in.
One video of Steve in his girly clothes and all the wimp rock of Xanadue recedes into the shadows of that shameful look.

Johnny Footstool
08-28-2006, 06:30 PM
One video of Steve in his girly clothes and all the wimp rock of Xanadue recedes into the shadows of that shameful look.

Touche, sir.

westofyou
08-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Touche, sir.
I saw one the other night... but aside from that I'm still reeling from the GnR "November Rain" video that was after it.... that's the Titantic of Music Videos.

Falls City Beer
08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Steve's Ren-Fest look in Oh Sherrie is epoch-defining.

Ltlabner
08-28-2006, 07:28 PM
I saw one the other night... but aside from that I'm still reeling from the GnR "November Rain" video that was after it.... that's the Titantic of Music Videos.

I thought the GnR video for "Estranged" was even more horrific. It's the one with the oil-tanker, coast guard hellicopoter, whale sounds and Axle sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

And I thought over-indulgent music went out in the '70s.

westofyou
08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
I thought the GnR video for "Estranged" was even more horrific. It's the one with the oil-tanker, coast guard hellicopoter, whale sounds and Axle sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

That's the one when Axle walks into the operating room and points at himself and then walks into the mirror or something like that.... Chinese Democracy should be out any day I hear.

SandyD
08-28-2006, 11:39 PM
He loves the way puccini lays down a tune,
And verdi's always creeping from his room...

Alfred says that song sort of reminds him of us. I made him come with me to a few operas. (used to have season tickets to the New Orleans Opera Co.)

JF, Xanadu is an awful movie. We showed it at New Orleans Worst Film Fest one year. The song is much better in the ELO version than Olivia Newton John's version.

And RL, I love gospel music. Not exactly sure where that comes from, but I do.

BoydsOfSummer
08-29-2006, 01:19 AM
Pat Boone's 'In A Metal Mood'. I have a copy a buddy burned for me,it's pretty good. Much better than I expected.

The track list:

1. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
(Downing/Halford/Tipton)
2. Smoke on the Water
(Blackmore/Gillan/Glover/Lord/Paice)
3. It's a Long Way to the Top
(If You Wanna Rock 'N Roll) (Scott/Young/Young)
4. Panama (Roth/VanHalen/VanHalen)
5. No More Mr. Nice Guy (Bruce/Cooper)
6. Love Hurts (Bryant)
7. Enter Sandman (Hammett/Hetfield/Ulrich)
8. Holy Diver (Dio)
9. Paradise City (Guns N Roses)
10. The Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix)
11. Crazy Train (Daisley/Osbourne/Rhoads)
12. Stairway to Heaven (Page/Plant)

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/9325/niceguy.jpg

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2006, 01:29 AM

It's a damn shame. The song itself is actually a self-indulgent mess that works -- beautiful melody, great guitar parts, a nice Layla-esque shift, and decent lyrics. The video, on the other hand, pretty much proves that Axl is a friggin' nutcase with no sense of reality.

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2006, 01:39 AM

"Xanadu" has been on Encore a few times in the past couple of weeks. I tried to watch it for a laugh, but those laughs never materialized. It's too bad to even watch for kitch's sake.

cincinnati chili
08-29-2006, 02:25 AM
For the Yes fans, here's some neato Rick Wakeman solo stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NobWv89dcKc

For the Journey fans. As Bill Simmons said in a recent column. This video pretty much sums up the 80's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGdXZ6o2xs

westofyou
08-29-2006, 11:01 AM
"Xanadu" has been on Encore a few times in the past couple of weeks. I tried to watch it for a laugh, but those laughs never materialized. It's too bad to even watch for kitch's sake.
I know the feeling... Sgt Peppers the Movie... perhaps the worst soundtrack and movie in the 70's.

Ltlabner
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I know the feeling... Sgt Peppers the Movie... perhaps the worst soundtrack and movie in the 70's.

I just saw that movie for the first time a few months ago. I've heard about it forever and thought I'd give it a try.

I made it through the whole thing but I felt 2 hours dumber and wanted my dignity back when it was over.

Knowing that Aerosmith was a drunken, coked out mess durring the filming and they caused a complete ruckus made is slightly less miserable.

westofyou
08-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Knowing that Aerosmith was a drunken, coked out mess durring the filming and they caused a complete ruckus made is slightly less miserable.They were that way in the late 70's everywhere... but by far they made that movie.

zombielady
09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
I thought "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" was going to be like "Yellow Submarine". It was not. It was probably the worst movie ever... well, until Exorcist : Dominion, that is...

My musical guilty pleasure are ABBA and the Bee Bees

vaticanplum
09-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I love this thread, I missed it and just read through the whole thing. There is no shame in any of this. well, most of this. You like what you like and good music can be found in surprising places.

I must say though that I am very uncomfortable with my own love for Shakira. Not because it is outside my normal realm of taste, not because the typical Shakira fan is about half my age, but because she is actually bad. She can't sing, her songs are boring, and the lyrics are comically bad. But I. love. her. Have you heard her SPEAK? "Yes I feel the music in my hips and it moves my soul and I must move them but do not ask me about it because I am CATHOLIC." She also penned the classic line "Lucky that my breasts are small so that you don't confuse them with mountains." Indeed, I mean, how can you not love this? And I'm not being ironic: I love her, I love to watch her dance, I find her singing to be a riot. And she's BAD. Toxic by Britney Spears, now maybe some people consider that embarrassing to like, but that is a damn good song. Shakira's songs are...not. But she is smart and sassy and her music is catchy and she plays guitar and sings in two languages. So I love her. In general I am a fan of good pop actually (though again, Shakira is not good pop)...but there is no shame in that. I find the Strokes, whom I absolutely adore, to be the epitome of a great catchy pop band, and I think their songs are genuinely terrific. but Lovin' Spoonful, the monkees...all that stuff is great.

I have inherited some pretty embarassing records over the years, but they're not my favorites, so I get a pass on those.

And thanks for bringing up the November Rain music video, guys. That brings back vivid memories of breaking out junk food and sleeping bags and sitting with my cousins watching that video over and over and over again (we had taped it. The tape finally died from so many viewings.) Many tears were shed. It's a wonder any of our parents even speak to us anymore.

vaticanplum
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Well, my i-tunes just played Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Diamond in succession. I cry uncle.

Falls City Beer
09-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, my i-tunes just played Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Diamond in succession. I cry uncle.

Sundown.

(And, you should take care).

westofyou
09-05-2006, 11:17 PM

The Edmund Fitzgerald was named after the father of the guy who bankrolled the Brewers transfer from Seattle, his small partner and Baseball connection was Bud Selig. Bud had owned part of the Braves and spent the late 60's trying to get a team back in Milwaukie.. a the while the city was suing the NL, when the Brwers moved the suit was dropped, then the AL had to expand sonner then the NL wanted to because.... Seattle was now suing the AL.

Fellas it's been good to know ya.....

vaticanplum
09-05-2006, 11:19 PM
The Edmund Fitzgerald was named after the father of the guy who bankrolled the Brewers transfer from Seattle, his small partner and Baseball connection was Bud Selig. Bud had owned part of the Braves and spent the late 60's trying to get a team back in Milwaukie.. a the while the city was suing the NL, when the Brwers moved the suit was dropped, then the AL had to expand sonner then the NL wanted to because.... Seattle was now suing the AL.

Fellas it's been good to know ya.....

You're kidding me. Wait til I tell my mother -- she loathes that song. Me, I'm not supposed to care, but it's worth believin'.

GAC
09-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Zinthar, Master of the Pan Flute

Naw, that wasn't him (though I do remember that commercial).

The guy I'm thinking of was rail thin, had slick backed black hair, and had (I think) a handle bar mustache.

He was a cross between Terry Thomas and Dick Dastardly, and I thought he had a "slang" first name like Slim or something. :lol:

I thought for sure that woy could come up with the name of this character.

GAC
09-06-2006, 06:44 AM
My fiancee thinks I'm both a dweeb and a complete music snob, but I absolutely love Rush. I can pretty much to groove to everything they've done from 2112 onwards (the early stuff is a little grating on the ears.)

I agree. the early stuff is kinda grating..... "We are the priests, of the Temples Of Syrinx!!" kinda gets on my nerves after awhile. :lol:

Say what you will about the indulgent solos, Geddy's voice, or lyrics such as "Everybody's got to deviate from the norm," but there's nothing better than Geddy, Alex and Neil rocking out. And I'd love to still be doign what they'r doing when I'm in my 50s.

I haven't heard anything they've done since 84's Grace Under Pressure (which I loved).

But I have always loved the songs.... Free Will, Limelight, Subdivisions, and Distant Early Warning.

I made up my own Rush "Chronicles" DVD last year.

GAC
09-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Wanna song that'll get stuck in your head and drive ya crazy? ;)

"Oh! I got a brand new pair of roller skates, You got a brand new key"

http://www.superseventies.com/4_72.gif

GAC
09-06-2006, 06:52 AM
I just downloaded a bunch of BTO. I can remember crankin' up Sledgehammer and Rock Is My Life..... mindless and pointless high powered rock n roll dribble!

Same thing with Foghat. I saw them in the late 70's, and I think they played an hour and a half version of Slow Ride. :lol:

minus5
09-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Naw, that wasn't him (though I do remember that commercial).

The guy I'm thinking of was rail thin, had slick backed black hair, and had (I think) a handle bar mustache.

He was a cross between Terry Thomas and Dick Dastardly, and I thought he had a "slang" first name like Slim or something. :lol:

I thought for sure that woy could come up with the name of this character.

That would be this yodelin' fool: http://whiskyrebellion.com/Slim-Whitman-Red-Riv.jpg

MaineRed
09-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Old School Rap.

Run DMC, Dr. Dre, Cypress Hill, House of Pain, Beastie Boys, NWA, Eazy E, Kurtis Blow, Public Enemy, Young MC, Snoop, Ice Cube .......

dabvu2498
09-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Old School Rap.

Run DMC, Dr. Dre, Cypress Hill, House of Pain, Beastie Boys, NWA, Eazy E, Kurtis Blow, Public Enemy, Young MC, Snoop, Ice Cube .......

Word yo.

Red Leader
09-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Old School Rap.

Word. :cool: :thumbup:

dabvu2498
09-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Word. :cool: :thumbup:

Word yo.

Great minds think alike. :pimp:

Johnny Footstool
09-06-2006, 10:47 AM

That song conjures evil thoughts of Heather Graham as Roller Girl...

westofyou
09-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I just downloaded a bunch of BTO. I can remember crankin' up Sledgehammer and Rock Is My Life..... mindless and pointless high powered rock n roll dribble!

Randy Bachman converted to Mormonism and quit the Guess Who to form BTO, so does that mean that BTO is the greatest Mormon rock band ever?

Roy Tucker
09-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Randy Bachman converted to Mormonism and quit the Guess Who to form BTO, so does that mean that BTO is the greatest Mormon rock band ever?
http://www.randybachman.com/gfx/simpsons.jpg

Red Leader
09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Kenny Rogers.

Red Leader
09-06-2006, 02:38 PM
The Bee Gees.

westofyou
09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Kenny Rogers.

I saw Kenny Rogers do his walk through for Austin City Limits once, what a cheese meister.

Though he did do Lucille for the soundcheck, that was nice.

Chip R
09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
That song conjures evil thoughts of Heather Graham as Roller Girl...

Evil? :confused:

Red Leader
09-06-2006, 02:41 PM
what a cheese meister.

Though he did do Lucille for the soundcheck, that was nice.

:laugh: :laugh: I know. It's bad, but sometimes so good.

I like Lucille.

dabvu2498
09-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Kenny Rogers.

I miss:
http://cristinamontesinos.com/images/krr_pic.gif

BoydsOfSummer
09-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Same thing with Foghat. I saw them in the late 70's, and I think they played an hour and a half version of Slow Ride.

So they did the short version for ya that night,eh? My god,that song is 12 minutes too long.

GAC
09-07-2006, 05:55 AM
That would be this yodelin' fool: http://whiskyrebellion.com/Slim-Whitman-Red-Riv.jpg

THAT'S HIM!

Out sold both Elvis and the Beatles. :lol:

See... I told ya he looked like a cross between Dick Dastardly and Terry Thomas! ;)

GAC
09-07-2006, 05:58 AM

Besides you baseball website, you need to start one one rock n roll music. :lol:

GAC
09-07-2006, 05:59 AM
http://www.randybachman.com/gfx/simpsons.jpg

Is that Randy Bachman, Kenny Rogers, or Jerry Garcia? Take your pick? ;)

GAC
09-07-2006, 06:07 AM
So they did the short version for ya that night,eh? My god,that song is 12 minutes too long.

I had two of their albums - Fool For The City and Foghat "Live". I just went on their official website - and guess what their intro song is? ;)

I didn't realize that founder Lonesome Dave Peverett died in 2000 from cancer.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 11:23 AM

Yes... My mother LOVED that song, I still have it on a 45 somewhere, but I've not been able to locate a working turn table for about 10 years... shucks...:dunno:

I can't be one to judge, if someone looked into my "secret stash"... :eek: I have some Veggietales tunes, that I actually llisten to in the car, sans children...