PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce

jamess697
08-25-2006, 08:30 PM
What are the chances that Jay Bruce will be promoted to AA next year. He has been tearing up low A, and I think that he could be on the fast track to the major leagues.

TOBTTReds
08-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Well judging by Joey Votto's outstanding first year in High A :yikes: , I'm betting Bruce will have to prove himself there first before AA.

steig
08-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Probably similar pattern as with Baily. Start the year at high A ball and then move to AA mid summer if he does well. I could see him starting in AA if he tears up winter ball and has a good spring training.

Caveat Emperor
08-25-2006, 09:38 PM
What are the chances that Jay Bruce will be promoted to AA next year. He has been tearing up low A, and I think that he could be on the fast track to the major leagues.

He's only 19 right now. I'd imagine he'll spend at next year mostly in high-A with possibly a promotion to AA at season's end, then a full 2+ years between AA and AAA before maybe getting a midseason call-up to the bigs in 2009 at the ripe old age of 23.

But, I'm only guessing. Kid is wicked-good -- but the pitching gets much better from here on out.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
I continually say this, Krivsky seems to have no desire to jump players a level. He's been faithful to that with Bailey allowing the jumps only after putting in some time at the lower level. I think in the long run the Reds will benefit from this approach.

mth123
08-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I continually say this, Krivsky seems to have no desire to jump players a level. He's been faithful to that with Bailey allowing the jumps only after putting in some time at the lower level. I think in the long run the Reds will benefit from this approach.

Generally agree, but pitchers are different from hitters. I see no porblem challenging Bruce. I would think the Reds would want him ready for the Majors by some time in 2008 so he can start easing in as Griffey's replacement.

Benihana
08-28-2006, 09:48 AM
He's only 19 right now. I'd imagine he'll spend at next year mostly in high-A with possibly a promotion to AA at season's end, then a full 2+ years between AA and AAA before maybe getting a midseason call-up to the bigs in 2009 at the ripe old age of 23.

But, I'm only guessing. Kid is wicked-good -- but the pitching gets much better from here on out.

Mid-2009 seems pretty conservative to me for a top-level hitting prospect at this point. I would expect Bruce to start in AA if he tears it up this winter/spring, and if he struggles there next year, look for him to repeat AA in 2008. Either way, I would expect to see him in Cincinnati by September of 2008. Truly elite hitting prospects usually hit the bigs before they turn 23.

dougdirt
08-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Heck, most elite hitting prospects hit the majors before they turn 22.