PDA

View Full Version : We may not make the playoffs.

NDIrish9
08-26-2006, 06:56 PM
This team has looked awful at the plate vs. two average pitchers the last 2 days. We're gonna be .5 game up on the Phils after they win tonight, and already 2 out from STL. We will be swept in LA, with Michalak losing the only winnable game. Penny and Maddux both own the Reds. We could be 5 out by next Wed.

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 07:00 PM
This team has looked awful at the plate vs. two average pitchers the last 2 days. We're gonna be .5 game up on the Phils after they win tonight, and already 2 out from STL. We will be swept in LA, with Michalak losing the only winnable game. Penny and Maddux both own the Reds. We could be 5 out by next Wed.

I agree. This west coast trip sinks teams like icebergs. IIRC, the Cards don't have to face another west trip. Fait accompli.

guttle11
08-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Or we may...

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Or we may...

We are probably going to come away from this west coast trip with 1 or at best 2 wins.

They're going to need a real shot in the arm to recover that kind of lost ground, meaning they'll probably have to run the string in series victories to make the playoffs.

westofyou
08-26-2006, 07:10 PM
We are probably going to come away from this west coast trip with 1 or at best 2 wins.

So the Reds will be lucky to win 1 of the next 7 games?

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 07:11 PM
So the Reds will be lucky to win 1 of the next 7 games?

Yes. Probably against SD.

westofyou
08-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Yes. Probably against SD.
You mean the same team that just swept the invincible Dodgers?

steig
08-26-2006, 07:15 PM
At least we are talking about playoffs and it's almost September. I want a World Series level team far more than I want to see a playoff caliber team. This team may make the playoffs but I don't consider this team to be well suited to win the world series. I know a lot can happen in a series. I will consider being competitive in the division race late into the year as much of a success as making it to the first playoff round and then losing. This team has done more than most people predicted at the begining of the year. I think the team will come away with 4 - 5 wins on this road trip and still be in contention for the division and wild card. With all of the parity in the N.L. this year, anything can happen over the next 5 weeks.

NDIrish9
08-26-2006, 07:19 PM
How can this bunch of [editted for content] score 2 runs in 18 innings against a run-down caveman and Noah's arc.

Absolutely pathetic if you ask me. Get Deno and Hopper up here.

BuckWoody
08-26-2006, 07:33 PM

They're going to need a real shot in the arm to recover that kind of lost ground, meaning they'll probably have to run the string in series victories to make the playoffs.
I have a new avatar for you, fcb.
http://www.topthat.net/webrock/images/schlep.jpg

All in fun. ;)

westofyou
08-26-2006, 07:38 PM
What's an f-bag?

Oh... I get it.

Clever.

redsmetz
Good Lord, how many times has this happened this season and folks reacted this way. The team will be a rollercoaster ride the rest of the way. One game at a time.

Far East
To get maximum production out of Freel and Griffey, they need some days off, and on occasion it may be the same day. If so, who plays CF?

Good old hindsight sees that either Deno or even Quentin McC would have been more valuable in the August dog days that LaRue has been. Granted, Jason has given the other two catchers sufficient (too much!) rest, but Valentin and Ross are hosses, they can more than handle the load without the third catcher.

Every LaRue AB robs the Reds of a scoring opportunity. Imagine how in a tight game like the one Morris hurled Friday night what might have happened if Javy had gotten to swing against Morris in 4 AB instead of in just that single PH AB.

2006 --- OBP--- SLG --- AVG

J LaRue .310 .289 .175

Q McCracken .263 .321 .208

C. Denorfia .327 .267 .222

Either one of these two outfieiders surpass LaRue in offense, and if either one were on the roster in place of LaRue, (A) Javy and Ross get more plate appearances, and (B) Griff and Freel conserve their energy for the stretch drive.

redsupport
08-26-2006, 07:39 PM
where is griffey, where is dunn, griffey should have retired, he finally has the chance to play meaningful games and this is what he shows

westofyou
08-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Good Lord, how many times has this happened this season and folks reacted this way.

jnwohio
08-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Tomorrow is huge. I think if they can get out of Frisco with a split they will do OK. The Dodgers are coming back to earth; but the Padres may be heating up. 3-3 would be nice in those 6 but 2 should avert a disaster if they get the split in Frisco.

The Cards have to go to Arizona for 4 and have the Padres and Giants coming into StLouis. They have 7 with the Astros with 4 in Houston where I don't see the 'Stros just rolling over. They also have 7 with the Brewers (3 in Milwaukee). Meanwhile the Reds will be playing the Cubs and Pirates about the same number of times in division.

These are not the Cards of old. Carpenter may be stronger than anybody the Reds have at the top but beyond him their starting rotation is a shambles. Edmonds is iffy, Eckstein is out at least another 10 days, and both Pujols and Rolen look to be something significantly less than 100% even if they go out there every day. Unless the 'Stros or Brewers just tank, if the Reds can't make up 3 games on the Cards on the respective intra divisional schedules, they don't deserve to win anything. The problem for the Reds is going to be keeping close enough for the intradivional portions of the schedule to decide it because they have 3 more games with the west than do the Cards and the Cards make up those other 3 with their final series against the Pirates (in StLouis).

I agree it doesn't look like anybody in the East is going to step up and beat the Phillies. If the Padres get hot they might out win them but they have 10 with the Snakes and a series left with the Dodgers so that is a tall order compared to who the Phils will be playing.

VI_RedsFan
08-26-2006, 07:50 PM
I agree. This west coast trip sinks teams like icebergs. IIRC, the Cards don't have to face another west trip. Fait accompli.

God, I love optimism...

mth123
08-26-2006, 07:54 PM

:bowrofl:Post of the year!!

Phhhl
08-26-2006, 07:55 PM
They'll be fine. Morris and Lowry have struggled at times, but both are more than capable of cranking up games likey they have the lst two days. I am unconcerned.

fearofpopvol1
08-26-2006, 08:00 PM
The Reds have a good shot of winning the game tomorrow.

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 08:06 PM
The Cards' schedule is a cakewalk compared to the rest of the Reds' schedule.

redsmetz
08-26-2006, 08:12 PM
. We will be swept in LA, with Michalak losing the only winnable game

I'll choose to tbe more optimistic - I say Michalek wins this one.

redsupport
08-26-2006, 08:16 PM
all those blown leads will be the haunting spectre of failure

jimbo
08-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Good Lord, how many times has this happened this season and folks reacted this way.

Pretty much after every loss.

mth123
08-26-2006, 08:30 PM
all those blown leads will be the haunting spectre of failure

And pitchers left in too long, and guys thrown out on the bases, and unearned runs, and Mercker and Weathers coming back too soon earlier in the year when they weren't ready yet, and Ryan Frankilin at St. Louis, and Joe Mays (nuff said), and Griffey's slump, and Edwin's benching, and 3 catchers, and Pitchers pitching hurt w/o telling anyone, and no range in the field, etc. etc. etc.

But if they win it was walk off homers, comebacks, Harang pitching, Edwin's hitting, Aurelia and Hatte being clutch, and the Krivsky holy trinity of Arroyo, Phillips and Ross, and Dunn's bombs, and Freels catch(es), and Michalek BP saving performance, and Castro playing his role, etc, etc, etc.

Its a long season and lots of ups and downs. I'm enjoying the ride and hoping for the best. No need to get too carried away in either direction after only one game, at bat or pitching performance.

redsfanmia
08-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I thought that the Reds had the easiest schedule of any playoff team in contention. FCB I hope you don't keep any sharp objects, ropes, or lots of pills around. You make Debbie Downer seem optimistic.

lo ryder
08-26-2006, 09:09 PM
The West Coast has been tough on this club for several years. I still think they can pull out a .500 roadtrip if the pitching holds up. The offense has been going through mini slumps all year and they have persevered up to this point.

I also believe tomorrow(8-27) is a fairly crucial game to this playoff run. Another loss takes away any momentum and confidence that they had at the beginning of the trip. The defense has been shoddy and the offense nonexistent to this point. I dont know if there enough players on this team with experience in a playoff run to pull them through.

Whatever happens, it has been a very entertaining year with a team that exceeded all expectations and ownership that appears to be committed to winning this year and in the future. Finally, there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel.

jnwohio
08-26-2006, 09:24 PM

The Reds have 13 left with the west, 7 on the road and 6 at home. THe games are 4 with the Giants, 6 with the Pads and 3 with the Dodgers (all in LA). Beyond that they have 3 each with the Marlins and ' Stros and the balance of 13 games with the Pirates (3 in Cincy) and Cubs (4 in Cincy) .

The Cards have 10 with the west, 4 in Phoenix and 6 in StLouis with the Pads and Giants. They play 1 more with the Cubs then the Pirates, Nats, and Marlins each 3 and have 13 with the Astros (4 in Houston) and Brewers (3 in Milwaukee).

So the difference basically is that the Cards play the Nats 3 versus the 3 the Reds have with the Dodgers then the intradivisional schedule has them playing 13 against the Astros and Brewers versus the Reds playing 13 against the Cubs and Pirates. As I said in a previous post, The Reds should be able to make up considerable ground on the intradivisinal portion but might lose too much by having those 3 with the Dodgers offset by the Cards 3 with the Nats.

However I do not think the Cards schedule rates as a cake walk against the Reds schedule.

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 09:33 PM
However I do not think the Cards schedule rates as a cake walk against the Reds schedule.

When a team already has a 2 game lead, and a schedule that is essentially "3 games easier" than the Reds', it's a cakewalk. The Reds are going to have to abandon the under .500 act they've adopted since April and reverse course. This will require a very serious boost on both the offense and pitching. So, unless Bailey and Votto arrive and perform a K-Rod/Andruw Jones explosion, this team doesn't have the horses to pull away.

Far East
08-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Get Deno and Hopper up here.
Amen. If they have to, then dump LaRue and his contract. They do not need a back-up catcher, they need some young OF legs. Even Clayton's legs, glove, and bat make him more valuable than LaRue.

When Castro enters in late innings for defense to protect a lead, perhaps the OF then could be Deno, Hopper, and Freel -- or some more reasoned and practical fraction thereof, based on the score and other situational factors.

Hollandsworth never puts on his fielding glove, just his batting gloves.

joshnky
08-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Oh no, the sky is falling! The sky is falling! Ahhhh!;)

We've been through this before. I'm not worried yet.

RedFanAlways1966
08-26-2006, 09:56 PM
When a team already has a 2 game lead, and a schedule that is essentially "3 games easier" than the Reds', it's a cakewalk. The Reds are going to have to abandon the under .500 act they've adopted since April and reverse course. This will require a very serious boost on both the offense and pitching. So, unless Bailey and Votto arrive and perform a K-Rod/Andruw Jones explosion, this team doesn't have the horses to pull away.

I do agree with one thing... usually winning teams have a good or have serious boosts in offense and pitching. I heard those two things are key in the game called baseball. ;)

The REDS are 2 games back as I type. A week ago they were 2.5 games back. 8 days ago they were 3.5 games back. The REDS have 32 games left to play and are 2 games back. Is that too many games back with not enough to play? Of course not. It is National League 2006 baseball... win a few, lose a few and stay a few over .500 for the year. Even the almighty Cards are doin' it. Up-and-down, up-and-down, up-and-down. But these discussions are seen when the REDS lose a couple... and is par for the course. I try to stay hopeful and never forget:

* 20.5 games back of the Cards on this day (60-68 record) in 2005 -or-
* 21.5 games back of the Cards on this day (61-65 record) in 2004.

It kind of makes 2-back seem kind of small and workable w/ 32 left. It can be argued that the Cards just aren't as good and the REDS are nothing special. Oh well... I'll take the weak NL and "weaker" Cards team that allow this battered-and-bruised fan to still have hope as we approach the end of August. Just got to keep hoping for one of those rare week-long hot streaks. And soon. BUT... not 20-some games back... not this year. A season that has kept us interested for 5/6 of the year. A real chance for a hot-n-cold team that has not had a real chance in 7 years to make the playoffs. It may not end up the way we want it to, but it sure as hell beats that broken-mirror span of bad luck and no chance on Aug. 26!

markymark69
08-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Let's wait until we fall out of the wild card lead until we start talking that way. Goodness. The Cards still only have a 2 game lead, um, I guess you're right, it's hopeless.

redsfan30
08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Well, I guess we've learned two things in this thread:

1) We have already won the ONE GAME on this 10 game trip that we're going to win.

2) Norris Hopper and Chris Denorfia should be playing ahead of Ken Griffey and Adam Dunn.

Two game losing streak.....season's over!!

Classic, classic Redszone after a loss.

Far East
08-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Let's wait until we fall out of the wild card lead until we start talking that way.
I for one have heard this during too many seasons.

It's not just about a recent loss or two. Suggestions about not playing LaRue and for spelling the outfielders occassionally with younger and better defenders are suggestions designed to get the Reds up above the Cardinals by 6 or 8 games, not settling for hoping to stay sorta, maybe, kinda close to the division title. That soon deteriorates into just settling for staying sorta, maybe, kinda close to the wild card leaders. Pretty soon, you're an also-ran.

Build a huge lead over St. Louis. Get some breathing room. It's like having a one run lead in an individual game and playing for insurance runs, and not just sitting on your hands.

redsmetz
08-26-2006, 10:47 PM
I for one have heard this during too many seasons.

It's not just about a recent loss or two. Suggestions about not playing LaRue and for spelling the outfielders occassionally with younger and better defenders are suggestions designed to get the Reds up above the Cardinals by 6 or 8 games, not settling for hoping to stay sorta, maybe, kinda close to the division title. That soon deteriorates into just settling for staying sorta, maybe, kinda close to the wild card leaders. Pretty soon, you're an also-ran.

Build a huge lead over St. Louis. Get some breathing room. It's like having a one run lead in an individual game and playing for insurance runs, and not just sitting on your hands.

Do you honestly believe the REds are consciously doing this? I'll be the first to say this team is maddingly inconsistant, but I believe they're out there trying to win every game. Nobody's sitting on their hands.

Do I know how the season's going to end? Certainly not. They may well swoon, but they've made this season exciting and I look forward to its finish. If we miss, we miss. Life goes on. But we're seeing an entirely different Reds team and organizaton. That gives me hope for the future. This season will not be a failure if we miss the playoffs.

Phhhl
08-27-2006, 12:22 AM
This team wasn't supposed to be "here" to begin with. Nobody can predict baseball. When you're right, you're lucky. Let's simply enjoy this. The Cardinals aren't good enough to take control of anything.

cincrazy
08-27-2006, 12:40 AM
So let me get this straight. After the first game of this West Coast trip, some people think the team is going to win the World Series. Then, after they lose two games, they're absolutely done. C'mon now! This team has been like this all season. This team is not a great team capable of putting a long run together, even in the NL. It's reality. It's NOT 1999. This team isn't as good as that team. But it's still giving us one hell of a ride, and everyone in that dugout is running through walls for this city.

oregonred
08-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Cards have a lot of home games left. They aren't that good, but seem to play much better before the packed houses at home. They scored four runs tottal the last two days and won both games -- their 3rd 2-1 home victory in ten days...

Also getting the Dodgers for all seven games before the Dodgers big trades helped. Hopefully the worm turns and the Reds can take 2/3 in LA.

48 hours ago I was very optimistic about our postseason chances -- and was sure we could take 3/4 in Frisco with Harang/Arroyo. Now I'm teetering that the West Coast demons will do them in.

Tomorrow is huge or this thing could get ugly in the next week. SF would only be 2 back in the WC if they take tomorrow's game. The one hope is that the starting pitching has improved dramatically in the last couple of weeks and we're due for some breaks (I believe due to Arroyo throwing his third staight nice game)

MartyFan
08-27-2006, 01:17 AM
The biggest game of the year was played against St. Louis when we came back to beat them in the first series of the season at GABP...I am not giving up on this team that quick...if the bandwagoners and know it alls want to throw in the towel, fine...I'm still drinking the kool aid!:drink:

Reds Freak
08-27-2006, 01:18 AM
When we as fans are ready to throw in the towel on the season, the Reds have the unusual ability to string a few together with their backs against the wall. They've done it all season. I would assume tomorrow would be one of those back against the wall games...

Jr's Boy
08-27-2006, 03:17 AM
They better be ready in L.A. I plunked down fifty bucks for Wednesday night's game.Does anyone know if Vin Scully does radio or just television play by play?

redsmetz
08-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I've thought a little more about this thread. I agree that the time is now for this team to kick it in. As Arroyo noted, we're at the point where we don't have much margin for error. We need to step up and start making the wins happen; pitching well, knocking in runs. As Narron has noted all season long, we can't give away outs. If we continue to play like we did the last two games, we will not make the playoffs - that is true. I just think it's too early to say if that will be the case. If we remain inconsistant, it will be a very difficult task.

wheels
08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't know how anyone can say what's positively going to happen in this year's crazyness.

I'm definitely biting my nails, but if I told you I knew what was gonna happen, I'd be lying, or jerking someone's chain.

Whatever. This is bonus time as far as I'm concerned.

91OSUAlum
08-27-2006, 02:11 PM
For those who started the thread, please stop pretending you are fans. Fans SUPPORT their team. Yes, they did not look good but Morris looked GREAT and it was not just because we were not hitting. He had his curveball working and set up the game very well. Lowry is an up and coming pitcher whose velocity was down earlier this year and has picked it up. ERA for the month is 1.50 something.

Give me a break. We will go 5-5 on this trip and be just fine. We just need to match up better. Aurilia needs to sit some vs. the right handers, we need to give Freel a day or two off, and we need to give Larue to the Nationals as payment for the Majic trade.

Matt700wlw
08-27-2006, 02:54 PM

I'm still waiting for the big fall apart I've been hearing was going to happen since April....

They've shocked everybody at this point.....2 poorly played games in San Francisco isn't going to make me lose faith.

Falls City Beer
08-27-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm still waiting for the big fall apart I've been hearing was going to happen since April....

They've shocked everybody at this point.....2 poorly played games in San Francisco isn't going to make me lose faith.

The "big fall apart" is not going to happen, but they've been nickel-and-diming themselves out of contention since the end of April; they've been at or below .500 in every month since the end of April at 18-8.

This .500 nonsense isn't getting the Reds into the playoffs; they'll need a BIG time flourish to end the season.

Homer, that means you, buddy.

Matt700wlw
08-27-2006, 03:21 PM

I couldn't hurt.

redsfanmia
08-27-2006, 04:05 PM

I thought he wasnt ready and that if he came up he would ruin his career and it would start his arbitration clock and...........

jimbo
08-27-2006, 04:06 PM
The "big fall apart" is not going to happen, but they've been nickel-and-diming themselves out of contention since the end of April; they've been at or below .500 in every month since the end of April at 18-8.

This .500 nonsense isn't getting the Reds into the playoffs; they'll need a BIG time flourish to end the season.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the Reds have never fallen out of contention this season.

From April to August last season the Astros only had two months over .500. They did what they had to do to get to the playoffs and then it became a brand new season. Up to this point, the Reds have done the same. It may not have been pretty so far, but they are still in a good position. Their demise has been predicted on here since April and it hasn't happened yet. I don't quite understand the constant doom and gloom outlook by some on here.

machineguy
08-27-2006, 04:56 PM
It is looking very very bleak today. Wow, they could use this game too.

mth123
08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Backs against the wall. They've responded all year. Maybe now they wake up a bit.

ITHIKABAND
08-27-2006, 07:10 PM
The Reds have a good shot of winning the game tomorrow.
HA HA HA HA... Funny yeah right! Mchalak Vs Penny at LA. The Odds don't favor it..

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-28-2006, 11:07 AM
I have this feeling that it's going to take actually falling out of the wild card lead to start the roller coaster downward. I can see the Reds dropping down to 4 or 5 out if they aren't in first for the WC.

The funniest thing about this season though is that every time we give anyone a chance, they all lose. Sure teams pull within 1 or even a half game, but the Pads had a very good pitcher going yesterday and gave up a ton of runs to a mediocre Rockies squad. We're not the only team not coming through when there's opportunities.

Maybe this is just one of those years. The way this season's gone, watch them sweep the Dodgers then get swept by the Pads after we're all on cloud nine.

osuceltic
08-28-2006, 11:14 AM

Can he hit?